This forum is created by people who follow the Wheat Belly Diet, as a place to communicate with each other about various topics. Please note that this site is a user created site, and not one of Dr. Davis' sites.

Author Topic: Help with Nutrition info  (Read 1916 times)

Pooka

• View Profile
Help with Nutrition info
« on: July 29, 2013, 10:24:00 AM »

Hi all,
I love that in WB Cookbook Dr. Davis puts the nutritional info in for each recipe. But other wonderful recipes don't (unfortunately). So I need to calculate myself. Does anyone know of an app or website that would list nutritional info for our natural ingredients?  I really need to keep track of carbs and fat (who knew that summer squash has more carbs than pumpkin?) I'm thinking of developing an app if there isn't one for WB-wheat free people.
Anyway, would love input on this if anyone knows.
Thanks.

Suzhookem

• Wheat Free April 2012
    • View Profile
Re: Help with Nutrition info
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2013, 10:30:33 AM »
Pooka, if you develop that app it would be great! And welcome 😄

Barbara from New Jersey

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2013, 11:05:34 AM »

Pooka,

There are many sites that list the portion size and glycemic index/load of the ingredients we use.  This gives you the amount of carbs.  Tedious at first, but you soon get to know the values and can then estimate your amounts of carbs.  Net carbs= carbs less fiber.  The search is for your ingredient and glycemic load. 

It is good to check the recipe ingredients this way if they are not listed with the recipe.  A ballpark figure for the amount of carbs is usually sufficient for your estimate.  There are inexpensive pocket size guide books available which list the carbs.  And yes, it is very surprising when you really pay attention to the kinds and amounts of carbs we eat. 

When I started, I wrote a list of ingredients , carbs and fiber of most of the ingredients I use and then taped it to the inside of a kitchen cabinet.  After nearly eight months of WB, I rarely need to look at the list.

Pooka

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2013, 11:32:11 AM »
Wow, thanks Barbara. Time to check out sites. Your info was really helpful to me.

Lynda (Fl)

• Wheat-free for 4 years
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2013, 01:42:46 PM »
MyFitnessPal.com is one of the millions Barbara mentioned.  It's a bit of a hassle but if the recipe isn't too complicated, it might help some.  Good searching.  Would love it if you made a better one!

Rita

• Administrator
  • A student of nutrition
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2013, 08:11:31 PM »
Several nutritionists were saying that chronometer is a very good app.  It's free.    http://cronometer.com
« Last Edit: July 30, 2013, 08:13:24 PM by Rita »

Wheat Free Forum

« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2013, 08:11:31 PM »

Sponsored Links