This forum is created by people who follow the Wheat Belly Diet, as a place to communicate with each other about various topics. Please note that this site is a user created site, and not one of Dr. Davis' sites.

Author Topic: Starting a journey/ progress thread?  (Read 4248 times)

JRose

• View Profile
Starting a journey/ progress thread?
« on: July 29, 2013, 03:22:03 PM »
I started my WB diet today, going to give it a strict 8 weeks to see if it is for me or not. I don't have any wheat intolerances to wheat, nor am I Celiac. I do however have an unhealthy addiction to wheat, and while I am reading WB, figured it would be a worthy venture to break it.

I am 6' tall, 186 pounds. Avid triathlete who trains around 20-25 hours a week, and eats mostly a healthy controlled diet. While not overweight or obese, I somehow seem to retain the stubborn back and belly fat, even though I exercise a what some might consider excessively.

I figured it would be nice to start a thread with before, after, and progress pics, as well as weekly weights/ measurments. I could also share my food log as I keep track of that as well, as I always have.

Is this a proper place for such a thread?

Jason

Rita

• Administrator
  • A student of nutrition
    • View Profile
Re: Starting a journey/ progress thread?
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2013, 06:20:35 PM »
I think it's great that you are keeping a diary.  Good idea.

In fact, I'm going to add a personal diary section for anyone who wants to  do that.   So I'll move this post into that new section.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2013, 06:24:05 PM by Rita »

JRose

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2013, 06:31:48 PM »
Pioneer!

Rita

• Administrator
  • A student of nutrition
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2013, 06:38:07 PM »

Pioneer!

Yes you are!!   :D   ( oh the pressure ... the pressure ... )

Bob Niland (Boundless)

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2013, 07:20:26 AM »
Won't be out until December, but this is coming:
Wheat Belly Journal: Track Your Path Back to Health [Spiral-bound]

I have no idea what the page layout is.

aspexil

• Went wheat free end of Feb 2013
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2013, 01:16:43 PM »
I started my WB diet today, going to give it a strict 8 weeks to see if it is for me or not. I don't have any wheat intolerances to wheat, nor am I Celiac. I do however have an unhealthy addiction to wheat, and while I am reading WB, figured it would be a worthy venture to break it.

I too thought I didn't have any wheat intolerance.  I went wheat free end of Feb.  Then about 3 months in we ate out at a restaurant.  I don't know where they snuck the wheat in but boy did I notice it later that afternoon.  It is not unusual to find out that after you've given up wheat you actually can't tolerate it anymore. 

http://www.wheatbellyblog.com/2013/07/wheat-belliers-share-their-wheat-re-exposure-experiences/

Barbara from New Jersey

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2013, 06:40:13 AM »
Hi Jason,

Welcome to this board. 

The fact that you are accumulating fat in your middle shows the reaction you are having to wheat. While everyone is different, the basic notion is that everyone has a reaction, including being addicted.
Most of us do find that we are constantly tweaking our diets and sharing this information. We would wlecome yours!

Randal

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2013, 08:55:15 AM »
Good point, Barbara. On those rare occasions when I do talk deeply about wheat free, one of the points I make is, why do we have so many fat athletes now? I remember when I was a kid and it was a big deal that Dodgers pitcher Fernando Valenzuela was fat. Now baseball players with guts are common. Linebackers used to be big, but not the 350 pound fat guts we see today. What is so different now versus 30 years ago? (Answer: Frankenwheat and HFCS.)

Barbara from New Jersey

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2013, 11:51:38 AM »
Randal,

Exactly!
I live in a small town with volunteer firefighters and a paid police department.  Both police and firemen are HUGE!  Just like you said about the athletes.  They have to be the largest ever.  Most of the old photos of these departments show slim, physically fit men.  These photos are prominently displayed in our Municipal Building. Some have the year they were taken.  The husky physiques started to show up about 15-20 years ago, increasingly more common each year. 
« Last Edit: September 12, 2013, 11:58:57 AM by Barbara from New Jersey »

Randal

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2013, 03:18:59 PM »
This reminds me of my army experiences... 10 years ago this month, Bush and Rumsfeld forced me back into the army against my will, despite having completed my obligation years before. ("Remember when you raised your hand and signed on the line that was dotted when you were 17? You didn't read the fine print, did you?") It was in the news, but most people didn't pay attention, that the recruiting numbers were terrible. Month after month, the Regular Army and Reserves were missing their numbers. The unit I was brought back for was to facilitate a draft. (I thought it was ironic that I was backdoor drafted into a unit that would support a draft, which of course never happened.)

Back then, fully 25% of the target recruiting age group was ineligible for military service due to being overweight. Obesity was (and is) truly a national security issue. We used to call it Generation Xbox, blaming it on kids being lazy, staying inside surfing the net and playing video games. How wrong we were.

I could see it in the soldiers under my command too. I've never been athletic, but there wasn't a single kid 15 years younger than me who could beat me on the PT test. I had a standing offer that any junior enlisted soldier who beat me on the PT test would get a free day off, and I never had to pay up. I also had to counsel soldiers who were overweight. I wish I had known about Wheat Belly back then (which of course didn't exist yet).

Another random memory... I remember in 4th grade being the heaviest kid in my class at 104 pounds (only kid over 100). Well, an ex-girlfriend's best friend's son in the 3rd grade weighed 170 pounds! And sadly, he wasn't the heaviest kid in his class.

Obesity is not a disease but it is an epidemic, and it's literally hurting our country if our uniformed service members, police officers, firefighters, and potential recruits are so overweight due to wheat and HFCS.

Lynda (Fl)

• Wheat-free for 4 years
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 15, 2013, 12:22:45 PM »
You are indeed right, Randal.  I grew up in 29 Palms, Ca. and those young Marines were indeed 'lean and mean'.  And oddly enough, they didn't yet all know how well pizza and beer goes together.  Guess we were a generation of fast learners!

Lynda (Fl)

• Wheat-free for 4 years
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 09, 2013, 10:19:13 AM »
Hope you are having good luck with that, Jason.  It would be a valuable lesson to people that great exercise needs a great diet.

Wheat Free Forum

« Reply #11 on: October 09, 2013, 10:19:13 AM »

Sponsored Links