This forum is created by people who follow the Wheat Belly Diet, as a place to communicate with each other about various topics. Please note that this site is a user created site, and not one of Dr. Davis' sites.

Author Topic: Snacks on the road  (Read 9051 times)

bill

• View Profile
Snacks on the road
« on: July 29, 2013, 04:02:21 PM »
I'd like to hear what people do for
snacks.

There are two types:  On the road
and at home so I am creating two new
threads.

Here's snacks we eat on the road:

Macadamia Nuts (#1) snack

Other nuts, pecans, almonds, walnuts (roasted
and salted of course)

Cheese sticks (if you bring an ice chest.  Can be small)

Beef Jerky

I've bought Parmesan cheese chips from Whole
Foods.  It's near the deli counter.

What else?
« Last Edit: July 29, 2013, 04:08:03 PM by bill »

deanna in AR

• WF Sept. 2011
    • View Profile
Re: Snacks on the road
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2013, 04:38:15 PM »
Nuts of course. Yesterday we brought summer sausage and carrot sticks. Sometimes a leftover meat and cheese. If there's not time to eat breakfast, we bring boiled eggs. Then sometimes, we p/u pork skins when we stop for gas. But be sure and check ingredients though...bacon and salt only :))

deanna in AR

• WF Sept. 2011
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2013, 04:51:29 PM »
And when we snack on the road, it usually takes the place of a meal.

bill

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2013, 11:33:56 PM »
I posted this on the snacks at home thread
but it could be for on the road too:

Hard boiled eggs are simple to make.

(put as many as will fit loosely on one
level in pan, cover with water and bring
to boil.  Keep at rolling boil for 6 minutes
then run tap water into the pan to
gradually cool the eggs.  When just
about cool, put back into fridge.  I keep
a carton labeled "hard boiled"for the
purpose.

They should be kept cool but will last
for a couple of days anyway.

bill

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2013, 11:37:03 PM »
Deep fried pork rinds.  Chicharones.

The cheaper the better, because apparently
they are more likely to be deep fried in
pig fat instead of vegetable oil, and they'll
have less added ingredients.

Very crunchy.

aspexil

• Went wheat free end of Feb 2013
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2013, 03:35:34 PM »
Hi folks.

What do you do for business travel (i.e. away from home, in a hotel in some far distant land sometimes internationally)? 

For business meals I have to ask about wheat but in foreign countries that can be impossible even with an "interpreter". 

Back at the hotel if it has a fridge I can fare a little better with cold cuts (read the ingredients carefully) and canned fish (herring/sardine) fruit (in reasonable quantities) and nuts.  Cooking is often not an option so I have to do with simple foods. 

Problem for me is that unintended wheatings have knocked me down hard.

Barbara from New Jersey

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2013, 05:25:45 PM »
Aspexil,

You might try to write down phrases like  "wheat free" "allergic to wheat" and similar on index cards in the language of the country you are in.  "Please point to the wheat free chicken"or "broiled, no wheat" has worked for me.  If I don't understand enough of the language for a verbal response to be meaningful, I just pull one of the cards out and hand it to the waiter.  Sometimes I put the "message" on the back of a business card.  The waiter will usually "point and grunt" at the menu and then at silly me, but I don't care as long as I am not glutened.  I smile and nod a thank you.

Too often the "wheat free" substitute means there is a high glycemic ingredient, but that is better than the wheat.  I try to drink lots of water (bottled) and eat the broiled meat or fish and veggies.   
« Last Edit: September 01, 2013, 08:10:44 AM by Barbara from New Jersey »

Rita

• Administrator
  • A student of nutrition
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2013, 09:42:06 PM »
I've been wondering about cut up slices of a good quality summer sausage as a snack.  Haven't gone so far as to find it at the store and look at the label yet. 

aspexil

• Went wheat free end of Feb 2013
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2013, 06:46:49 AM »
That is a good idea Barbara!

HungryinTN

« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2013, 11:33:48 AM »
I have to travel for business tomorrow (sharing a car and hotel room with someone who isn't wheat free).  The room does have a mini-fridge, so I'll be able to take all of my BP coffee makings.  I'll probably carry some almonds or walnuts on the road for an emergency snack, but mostly if I just keep hydrated, I probably won't need to eat them.  I am excited about our dinner reservations at a historic "seed-to-table" restaurant though!

LondonGuy333

• Mid-thirties WF SWM, SW London...
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 29, 2013, 07:03:49 PM »
Dates for me

Apple slices and peanut butter work rather well too :)
Separating the wheat from the chaff...

jgilberAZ

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 30, 2013, 07:21:38 AM »
I've eaten pork rinds in a pinch.  No carbs, nearly all fat. baked, not fried, I think.
Low Carb Since April 2009.

Lynda (Fl)

• Wheat-free for 4 years
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 30, 2013, 09:11:25 AM »
I take my almond flour muffins.  They seem to hold up well to lack of refrigeration.  If you have any, take them along in your purse or briefcase.  Along with all the other ideas here, you should be well supplied.  That restaurant sounds fun.

Bob Niland (Boundless)

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 30, 2013, 05:20:54 PM »
> I'd like to hear what people do for snacks.

When there's no cooler available, it's Quest Bars. They are low carb, but don't have an ideal fat/protein balance. We buy from Amazon*, and keep a stock on hand, because they are hard to find in stores, and when found, sell for 1.5-2x what AMZN charges.

The WheatFreeMarket Foods cookies have a more favorable macronutrient balance, but are going to be more expensive per ounce.

There don't seem to be any keto bars readily available yet. You might assume that Atkins would have something in their extensive bar line to support induction phase, but apparently not. I just took a look at several of them, and they are all higher in net carb than Quest, and contain any number of ingredients I won't eat, such as oats, corn, inadvisable seed oils, soy, maltitol and sucralose. They seem to be winding down the wheat content at least, but all the bars still have wheat cross-contamination disclaimers.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2013, 07:54:38 PM by Rita »

Rita

• Administrator
  • A student of nutrition
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 30, 2013, 08:07:19 PM »
I haven't heard of Quest Bars.   I've been keeping  Perfect Food Bars handy that I purchase at Costco, although I wish they didn't use the PUFA's of sunflower oil and sesame seed oil, and it has honey, which makes it have more sugars than I want.  ( Although it does make them tasty). I only eat them when I need something quick and easy to take a long on the days I didn't have time to plan.  They are very filling, and at least all the ingredients are non-gmo and organic.  You know what every ingredient is on the label.

Linda R

« Reply #15 on: August 31, 2013, 07:22:38 AM »
I haven't heard of Quest Bars.   I've been keeping  Perfect Food Bars handy that I purchase at Costco, although I wish they didn't use the PUFA's of sunflower oil and sesame seed oil, and it has honey, which makes it have more sugars than I want.  ( Although it does make them tasty). I only eat them when I need something quick and easy to take a long on the days I didn't have time to plan.  They are very filling, and at least all the ingredients are non-gmo and organic.  You know what every ingredient is on the label.

Geez, one bar takes care of my carb quota for the day! Glad I don't do a lot of traveling. [They do look good however!]

Bob Niland (Boundless)

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 31, 2013, 10:55:43 AM »
> Geez, one [Quest Bar] bar takes care of my carb quota for the day!

It all depends on how you count carbs. The Net Carbs for these bars (total carb minus fiber carbs) is low (9 grams for the banana nut, for example, but only 6 for the Choc Brownie). If you count total carbs, then yes, they're high (25 and 24 grams respectively).

> hey do look good however!

The Choc Brownie tastes to me just like a Tootsie Roll, and could easily be cut into small slices, and consumed over several hours.

I notice that Dr. Peter Attia (probably the leading keto researcher today) mentioned recently that he may consume two QBs on long bike rides. A grueling 6-hour bike ride may be more "on the road" than you had in mind, however  :o .
« Last Edit: August 31, 2013, 10:57:22 AM by Boundless »

Rita

• Administrator
  • A student of nutrition
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 31, 2013, 03:00:57 PM »
I think the Quest Bars are okay on the carbs due to the high fiber.  I think Linda was referring to the Perfect Food Bars.

Linda R

« Reply #18 on: August 31, 2013, 05:35:29 PM »
I think the Quest Bars are okay on the carbs due to the high fiber.  I think Linda was referring to the Perfect Food Bars.

Yup!

Thanks Rita

Jan in Key West

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 01, 2013, 06:28:05 AM »
My husband plays 2 to 3 hours of tennis in the mornings and snacks are a challenge now that he has abandoned his bananas.  Quest bars may be the answer but how do they hold up in the sun?

Lila

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 01, 2013, 07:55:25 AM »
We went for a picnic yesterday on the Cherohala Skyway in eastern Tennessee/western NC yesterday (love that road!).  I packed us a nice wheat free lunch:  celery sticks, sliced tomatoes, pepper jack and cheddar cheese slices, turkey slices, and natural peanut butter.  And lots of cold drinking water!  Very filling and very tasty! 

We didn't take any snacks.  These days we usually don't snack between meals because what we're eating is so filling (and lasts a long time). 

I just love not having cravings.  Never in my wildest dreams did I think I could ever be without cravings for bread and salty snacks like crackers, potato chips, and party mix.  When I think of them, my appetite just shuts down, unlike before when I'd often run out to the store just to buy some of that junk.

deanna in AR

• WF Sept. 2011
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 06, 2013, 11:47:07 AM »
This is what Sarah from Everyday Paleo took on her road trip: Packed and ready to go with snacks; cucumbers, carrots, apples, beef jerky, pineapple, salami, trail mix, left over chicken, seaweed snacks, and blueberries.

Jan in Key West

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 26, 2013, 05:20:48 AM »
We're leaving this morning for our annual 2 1/2 day trek to southern shores.....packed some good 'snacks for the road' and a trunk full of frozen meat, bones and bone broth.

Rita

• Administrator
  • A student of nutrition
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 26, 2013, 06:57:43 AM »
Have a great trip Jan.  Hope shleppn' around bones a broth works well.  :)

Jan in Key West

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 26, 2013, 06:01:32 PM »
Thanks Rita.....so far, so good....the bones, broth and meat seem to be hearty travelors....altthough my fermented veggies are doing abit of schleppin'.

Barbara from New Jersey

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 26, 2013, 09:37:09 PM »
Safe trip Jan! 

I'm loving my bone broth based soups.  I add a condiment sized portion of rice, beans or lentils and sometimes puree them in the broth for some additional "body"  and flavor to the soups.  Not enough to call it a bean soup, but just enough for a variety.  I thank you all the time for your discussions about how you go about making your broth!  When the weather gets cold, the delicious soups are comfort foods to me.  Also, Linda R mentioned Linda's Low Carb recipes and she has some terrific recipes for soups on her blog.

Wheat Free Forum

« Reply #25 on: September 26, 2013, 09:37:09 PM »

Sponsored Links