This forum is created by people who follow the Wheat Belly Diet, as a place to communicate with each other about various topics. Please note that this site is a user created site, and not one of Dr. Davis' sites.

Author Topic: Bragg's Vinaigrette and Amino acid  (Read 5095 times)

scrupulousgirl

Bragg's Vinaigrette and Amino acid
« on: August 04, 2013, 09:08:40 AM »
I believe that the Bragg's Vinaigrette has been mentioned before, but in case you missed it, I finally got some from Whole Foods yesterday and it is wonderful for a bottled dressing in a pinch if you don't have homemade on-hand as I usually do.

I also saw Bragg's Amino acid. Anyone tried or used it and if so how? I can see adding it to cooked veggies.

Jan in Key West

• View Profile
Re: Bragg's Vinaigrette and Amino acid
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2013, 09:37:11 AM »
Scrupulous.....I did buy some Bragg's liquid amigos and they are made from soybeans so I threw mine out.....we've banished all soy, Non GMO or otherwise, from our diet. I found a liquid aminos product made from coconuts....also a coconut vinegar. I'll find the link and try to post.

scrupulousgirl

« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2013, 09:48:55 AM »
Scrupulous.....I did buy some Bragg's liquid amigos and they are made from soybeans so I threw mine out.....we've banished all soy, Non GMO or otherwise, from our diet. I found a liquid aminos product made from coconuts....also a coconut vinegar. I'll find the link and try to post.

Jan,

I would appreciate your recommendation at your convenience.

Bailey

Jan in Key West

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2013, 09:59:40 AM »
Bailey.....here's the link to one of the 'cleaner' ones I found.....I haven't tried it but am considering buying along with the coconut vinegar.

http://www.amazon.com/Coconut-Secret-Organic-Vegan-Aminos/dp/B003XB5LMU
« Last Edit: August 05, 2013, 09:00:02 AM by Rita »

scrupulousgirl

« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2013, 10:11:59 AM »
Bailey.....here's the link to one of the 'cleaner' ones I found.....I haven't tried it but am considering buying along with the coconut vinegar.

[font=.HelveticaNeueUI]http://www.amazon.com/Coconut-Secret-Organic-Vegan-Aminos/dp/B003XB5LMU[/font]

Beautiful! Thank so much, Jan!

deanna in AR

• WF Sept. 2011
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2013, 11:11:19 AM »
I bought Coconut Secret Raw Coconut Aminos Soy-Free Seasoning Sauce at Whole Foods a while back because some of the paleo recipes use it. I also wanted to try marinating steaks in it...to take the place of soy sauce. The ingredients are organic coconut sap aged and blended with sun-dried, mineral-rich sea salt. Used it in one recipe, can't remember what. Mostly I haven't remembered to use it, so I don't have suggestions at this point.

lyra

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2013, 03:11:51 PM »
Just had one of those aha! moments while reading this thread. Why am I dumping organic wheat-free tamari on all my food? It is full of soy! What have I been thinking? Gotta get rid of that stuff...it's probably giving me leaky gut right now! This diet is a real learning experience.

Jan in Key West

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2013, 03:49:45 PM »
I finally ordered a bottle of the coconut aminos, as well as the coconut vinegar today....will let you know how we like....

Barbara from New Jersey

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2013, 04:45:42 PM »
Lyra,

The soy based sauces like tamari are fermented and  OK to use.  It is the non fermented soy products that cause the problems.  Dr. Mercola  and Sally Fallon are in agreement with the use of naturally fermented non GMO soy products.  Dr. Mercola has stated that he eats natto or takes nattokinase on a daily basis both are soy based. 

Another excellent fermented sauce is Fish Sauce.  This is made from fermented anchovies and sea salt.  Red Boat is the best in my opinion and worth the $8 price tag.  It is naturally fermented.  NomNomPaleo has many delicious recipes using this sauce.  Lea & Perrins make a worcestershire sauce using an 1835 recipe.  Their ingredients are distilled white vinegar,molasses, water, sugar,onion,anchovies,salt, garlic, cloves, tamarind and chili pepper extracts and natural flavorings.  They do not identify the "natural flavorings" but state that the sauce is gluten free.

I also like to use the coconut aminos.  Well Fed by Melissa Joulwan has several good recipes using it.  Check out her web site.

I use the coconut vinegar instead of rice vinegar when making chinese dishes.  Very good!  Some supermarkets carry the aminos and vinegar.  Dr. D. does not recommend the coconut sugar or nectar because he feels it is has too high a glycemic value

It is the fermentation that makes these condiments healthy.  Their flavors enhance the food because they all contain naturally, slowly developed enzymes and glutamates.  No harsh chemicals are needed.  Also, these condiments are used sparingly.  For example, you can add some citrus juice and minced ginger to extend your marinade and make it into a teriyaki type of sauce.  The natural fermentation will break down the proteins and soften the meat or chicken while adding a flavor that enhances the food.  No harsh briny taste either.  The slow, natural fermentation is why the better quality products are much more expensive, and in my opinion, worth the price.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2013, 05:51:05 AM by Barbara from New Jersey »

lyra

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2013, 05:05:55 PM »
Oh, thanks. I feel better!  8)

Randal

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 04, 2013, 06:01:59 PM »
Even fermented, isn't soy bad for you because of the GMO?

lyra

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 05, 2013, 03:43:58 AM »
Randal, I get the bulk organic tamari wheat free at a local coop. the kind that you have to bring your own bottle and fill it up. Maybe that's just a trick to make me think it is especially healthy. I don't recommend buying commercial soy sauces.

Wheat Free Forum

« Reply #11 on: August 05, 2013, 03:43:58 AM »

Sponsored Links