This forum is created by people who follow the Wheat Belly Diet, as a place to communicate with each other about various topics. Please note that this site is a user created site, and not one of Dr. Davis' sites.

Author Topic: Acceptable store-bought mayo?  (Read 8832 times)

Randal

• View Profile
Acceptable store-bought mayo?
« on: August 04, 2013, 12:03:01 PM »
As the next step in my progression, I want to eliminate soy from my diet. That means the Hellmann's / Best Foods mayo I use with my tuna fish has to go. What is a good store-bought mayo I can get? I checked Whole Foods a couple months ago and I seem to recall their mayo had something in it I should avoid, but I can't remember what.

I know someone will suggest making my own, but that's not going to happen.

Linda R

Re: Acceptable store-bought mayo?
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2013, 12:36:42 PM »
As the next step in my progression, I want to eliminate soy from my diet. That means the Hellmann's / Best Foods mayo I use with my tuna fish has to go. What is a good store-bought mayo I can get? I checked Whole Foods a couple months ago and I seem to recall their mayo had something in it I should avoid, but I can't remember what.

Oh Randal.....................
You have not really tasted mayo until you make your own, AND, it is so easy!

Some use a food processor, but I love using my stick immersion blender. It takes LESS THAN 30 SECONDS!!!!!

Will post recipe if you care to "bite the bullet"!       LOL

HungryinTN

« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2013, 12:41:22 PM »
Also, plain yogurt is an alternative for tuna salad.  I haven't tried it because I eat it so rarely I haven't really worried about the tiny amount of mayo.  But it's what my sister's been using for years because she's always hated mayonnaise. 

Jan in Key West

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2013, 12:47:03 PM »
Wilderness Family Naturals make a 'cleaner' mayo.....with the exception of evaorated cane sugar (1 gr. per serving).

deanna in AR

• WF Sept. 2011
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2013, 02:00:07 PM »
Linda, please post the recipe for making mayo with your immersion blender! My attitude is kind of like Randal's...not gonna happen. But I think I might try it with my immersion blender.

I found a recipe today for chicken salad where you mash up avocado instead of using mayo. I think you could do that with tuna salad too. I may try it tonight. I'll post it under Recipes in case anyone else wants to try it.

lyra

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2013, 02:55:51 PM »
I would just dump some olive oil on it, and hold the mayo!

Teresa

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2013, 06:38:24 AM »

Just curious...why?  It's super easy and tastes SO much better.   :)

~Teresa

Randal

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2013, 07:19:27 PM »
Easy to you is a nightmare to me. Seriously, I can't do anything in the kitchen.

Randal

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2013, 06:29:52 PM »
Okay, just got back from Whole Foods and all their mayo is canola based. I may have to start making my own.

Linda R

« Reply #9 on: August 08, 2013, 12:22:04 PM »
I really do understand your dilemma, Randal.

If someone suggested I go out to my drive-way and change the oil and filter in my car, I would look at them as though they were totally nuts!

No way am I going to do ANYTHING involving mechanics or automobile maintenance!

If you decide to take the "mayo plunge", we are here to help you and provide as much support as possible.

:) :) :) :) :)

Randal

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 10, 2013, 11:52:40 AM »
I substituted half an avocado for the mayo in my tuna and egg salad... and it was pretty damn good! I'll be making this change permanent. One more source of soy, vegetable oil, starch, and sugar out of my life.

deanna in AR

• WF Sept. 2011
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 10, 2013, 01:00:44 PM »
I also made our last tuna salad with avocado instead of mayo. DH liked it a lot...he also said it would be better spiced up a bit w/ a spoonful of diced japs (jalapeņos). I'll try that next time.

Jan in Key West

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 10, 2013, 03:48:12 PM »
Randal....if you want to zip up your tuna, egg, chicken/avocado salad.....add a pinch of cayenne, tastes great!

Randal

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 10, 2013, 05:16:35 PM »
Yup, I usually alternate between tabasco, Tapatio, or Cholula sauce. I'll try cayenne.

lyra

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 11, 2013, 07:37:27 AM »
I just spent a good fifteen minutes reading the ingredients on the mustard brands at the store. It gets embarrassing. I got a new item for me, it's Eden Organic Brown Mustard. has organic whole mustard seed, organic apple cider vinegar, water, and sea salt. It's difficult to find a mustard without some crap in it. Don't know what that would do to a can of tuna, though.  :-\ (I love these emoticons.)

Lynda (Fl)

• Wheat-free for 4 years
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 11, 2013, 02:48:43 PM »
As much as I love avocado, substituting it for mayo sounds pretty good.  I'll have to try it.

Barbara from New Jersey

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 12, 2013, 06:59:33 AM »
Dr. D says that limited amounts of safflower oil may be consumed.  Hains Safflower Oil is made with expeller pressed  safflower oil, eggs, vinegar, rosemary extracts, lemon juice concentrate, paprika, dehydrated cane juice, spice and natural flavors.  This is a possibility!  The nutritional  label does not say it contains any sugars, but dehydrated cane juice is an ingredient????  Gluten free?Email the company time.

Barbara from New Jersey

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 13, 2013, 01:27:17 PM »
Just got the reply from Hain Foods about their safflower mayo.  They said to look for a holed triangle on the label for gluten free foods.  I did not notice this triangle on the closeup view of the label, but I could only see part of the label. 
Probably more revealing is the statement to "exclude any of their products containing natural flavors or spices which may contain trace elements of gluten."

So I am guessing that this is corporate speak for "NOT GLUTEN FREE".

Well, we have another use for the immersion blender!

Wheat Free Forum

« Reply #17 on: August 13, 2013, 01:27:17 PM »

Sponsored Links