This forum is created by people who follow the Wheat Belly Diet, as a place to communicate with each other about various topics. Please note that this site is a user created site, and not one of Dr. Davis' sites.

Author Topic: Mayo  (Read 12404 times)

Linda R

Mayo
« on: August 04, 2013, 03:29:04 PM »
My favorite recipe:

o   1 egg
o   1 egg yolk
o   1 tablespoon lemon juice
o   1 tablespoon white wine vinegar
o   1 teaspoon dry mustard
o   1 teaspoon salt
o   1 teaspoon Splenda
o   1 1/2 cups Olive Oil

Directions
1.   Stick or "immersion" blenders come with a beaker which fits nicely around the blender. If you don't have this beaker, find a thin, tall container which fits closely around the blender.
2.   Place the egg, egg yolk, lemon juice, white wine vinegar, dry mustard, salt, Splenda in the beaker.
3.   Gently pour the oil on top of all the other ingredients in the beaker.
Place the stick blender in the beaker, with the bottom of the blender resting on the bottom of the beaker.
4.   Pulse the blender, about three seconds at a time, keeping the bottom of the blender in contact with the bottom of the beaker. Do this until you see the mixture begin to emulsify (i.e. turn thick and white colored).
5.   Once the bottom fourth of the mixture is emulsified, begin to slowly raise the stick blender, incorporating more of the oil into the emulsification. I use a slow up and down movement, incorporating a bit more oil each time I raise the blender up. Continue until all the oil is incorporated. I continue to blend, moving the blender up and down and around the beaker, for about 30 seconds after all the oil has been incorporated, because I like my mayo to be thick.
6.   Refrigerate and use within one week.

For best results, have the eggs and other cold items at room temp before blending.

« Last Edit: August 04, 2013, 03:31:16 PM by Linda R »

deanna in AR

• WF Sept. 2011
    • View Profile
Re: Mayo
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2013, 03:38:23 PM »
Thank you Linda! Questions:
Have you ever used anything besides Splenda in it?
Would it work if I used 2 eggs instead of 1 egg and 1 yolk? (I'm lazy!)

Linda R

« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2013, 04:13:33 PM »
Thank you Linda! Questions:
Have you ever used anything besides Splenda in it?
Would it work if I used 2 eggs instead of 1 egg and 1 yolk? (I'm lazy!)

Splenda was called for in the original recipe, but I actually use just 2-3 drops of EZSweetz. Use what ever you like or omit the sweetener altogether.

Yes, 2 whole eggs would probably be fine. I simply crack my eggs at the sink and let the white go down the drain before dropping the yoke in the beaker. I like my mayo thick and I think the yolks only helps to make the mayo nice and thick.

When I first began preparing this, I still had a little Hellman's in the fridge, so I did a taste comparison. Wow! What a difference! And no more unhealthy vegetable oils!

arlin

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2013, 04:29:49 PM »
Thank you Linda for this recipe. I love my immersion blender! So far I've only used it to make the bullet proof coffee. Now I have another use for it! This seems so easy and quick and like you said, no more unhealthy oils. I appreciate you sharing this. Will be making this myself from now on!

Randal

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2013, 12:07:35 PM »
Linda,

I'm finally ready to bite the bullet and make my own mayo! Thanks for posting this recipe.

Linda R

« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2013, 01:56:45 PM »
Linda,

I'm finally ready to bite the bullet and make my own mayo! Thanks for posting this recipe.

Success????????

Randal

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2013, 03:11:10 PM »
I have to buy an immersion blender first. Any recommendations?

Linda R

« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2013, 06:44:26 PM »
I have to buy an immersion blender first. Any recommendations?

Yes!  I love my Cuisinart. Mine came with both a beater and a whisk. It also came with a chopper attachment which is great for grating hard cheese, etc. 
The blender has both a low and high speed, and those buttons are lasting very well w/o wearing out. Bought mine at ebay, and am very pleased with it.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2013, 06:48:06 PM by Linda R »

Linda R

« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2013, 06:59:28 PM »
The blender also came with a plastic beaker, but unfortunately, due to me heating liquids in it in the microwave, it developed cracks and became unusable.

I use a wide mouth glass jar when making mayo, and simply put the cap on and refrigerate.

For beating my Bulletproof Coffee every AM, I use a 4 cup plastic or glass measure.

mosey

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 15, 2013, 07:16:39 AM »
I used to whip my mayo by hand & it was delish. Santa is bringing me the cusinart immersion blender & I can't wait! Try adding a bit of onion, garlic & chipotle powders - wow!

Jan in Key West

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 15, 2013, 10:07:02 AM »
With limited counter/kitchen space, I'm loving my little ninja.....use it for everything and it was cheap too!

VibeRadiant

« Reply #11 on: December 23, 2013, 11:40:02 AM »
I had my first taste of olive oil mayo and I have to say nothing beats it - by far!  Can't wait to try this one!

Randal

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 25, 2013, 03:28:55 PM »
Finally made my own mayo. (I had the ingredients and immersion blender for a week or two, but my ineptness in the kitchen made me scared of actually making it.) It's great, and I feel like I've regained a lot of meal options I had given up when I dropped soy and canola oil from my diet.

Here's a dumb question: is there any problem with doubling the ingredients to create a bigger batch?

Linda R

« Reply #13 on: December 25, 2013, 04:04:29 PM »
I have cut some mayo recipes in half and doubled others without any problem.
My only concern would be the shelf life if you were to make too much...................

Since I live alone, I rarely make more than a cup at a time.

Congrats!!!

Isn't homemade mayo delish as compared to commercial brands?

Randal

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 25, 2013, 04:23:55 PM »
I love chicken salad, egg salad, and tuna salad, so I could probably go through about 1.5 times as much per week as the recipe makes.

It actually tastes better than store-bought, because of the olive oil. Store-bought is actually on the bland side. But most important for me is that it doesn't have soybean oil.

VibeRadiant

« Reply #15 on: December 25, 2013, 05:30:40 PM »
Hellman's makes an olive oil mayo. You'd think the only oil listed would be olive oil, but no -  it's canola oil first, then olive.  ::)  canola oil bad.

Barbara from New Jersey

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 25, 2013, 05:44:54 PM »
Hi Randal,

Now that you are getting skilled in the culinary arts, you may wish to add chopped celery, scallions and dried cranberries to your chicken salad.  Whole Foods carries fruit juice sweetened and unsweetened dried cranberries.  A small amount really adds a taste treat to the salad.

Also, most of the national brands of canned tuna in water contain a soybean broth, so double check the ingredients. 

Roasting a whole chicken or even cut up parts is also simple.  Trick is to use a 1/2 teaspoon of salt per pound on the washed and dried
bird.  Let it sit overnight or even 2 nights in your refrigerator if it is a large whole chicken.  If it is a whole chicken, then put some of the salt under the breast skin and inside the cleaned cavity.  Tuck some salt under the skin if roasting cut up parts.  Roast in your normal way, without any other seasoning.  The meat absorbs the salt and becomes very tender and tasty. Adjust the salt per pound (measurement is listed on the price sticker) to your liking.  If using chicken parts, then rub some salt on the bottom side of the part as well as under and on top of the skin.  Very economical!  Home made mayo DESERVES this kind of roasted chicken!
Basic cooking times are 375*F preheated oven at 20 minutes per pound.  Let parts "rest" meaning cool down 10 minutes before cutting them and a whole chicken rest for about 20 minutes.   :)
« Last Edit: December 25, 2013, 05:57:07 PM by Barbara from New Jersey »

Randal

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 25, 2013, 06:27:09 PM »
I buy my tuna fish only from Whole Foods because their brand is the only one I found that doesn't contain soy. Wouldn't it be less expensive to package tuna in plain water than adding soy?

VibeRadiant

« Reply #18 on: January 09, 2014, 05:48:12 PM »
I made this tonight and boy is it creamy!

I left out the mustard though, used half the salt and I could have eaten it with a spoon!

going to mix it with tuna for lunch tomorrow.

Barbara from New Jersey

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 09, 2014, 07:30:38 PM »
Dr. D's recipe from his new cookbook is:

3 egg yolks
2 tsp. dijon mustard
1/4 tsp sea salt
2 cups extra light olive oil
1/4 cup white wine vinegar

Combine egg yolks, mustard and salt. Pulse, blend or beat at high speed.  Slowly add olive oil and blend until mixture thickens.  Add vinegar and process until combined.  Store in air tight container for a week.

VibeRadiant

« Reply #20 on: January 10, 2014, 05:35:26 AM »
Does store bought mayo have mustard in it?  I used some mustard in the last batch i made and didn't like the mustardy taste.

Barbara from New Jersey

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 10, 2014, 06:30:45 AM »
Vibe,

Some lesser known and gourmet brands do contain mustard for a fresh taste and a bit of tang.  Most of the large national brands don't.  You add your own mustard to deviled eggs or whatever recipe calls for the mayo.  I haven't made this recipe yet.  I think it would be important to use a very good quality vinegar and mustard.  You might try a smaller amount of mustard when you make your next batch.  Some vinegars and mustards have rather strong flavors. 

Loanne

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 10, 2014, 10:09:02 AM »
Would it mix up OK without the egg?  I like eggs, but not raw.  That's what's kept me from making this.  I haven't eaten mayonnaise since I started the WB way of eating.

Barbara from New Jersey

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 10, 2014, 11:32:37 AM »
Loanne,

Wilderness Family Naturals has a new, reformulated mayo made of olive, sesame and coconut oils.  It does contain vinegar made from rye, but I don't think this would have much in the way of gluten, although I may be wrong!!!
The product has an 18 month shelf life from date of manufacture.  The web site states that this has been based on the work on Mary Eng from Nourishing Traditions and William Price Foundation fame.

All mayo contains egg yolks.  That is what emulsifies the oil into the spreadable consistency.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2014, 02:41:28 PM by Barbara from New Jersey »

ldyrdr4311

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 09, 2014, 12:06:42 PM »
Hi:
  Been following this discussion & replies & wish to add my 2 cents.
  For those of you that are interested, there are pasteurized eggs in some grocery stores if you are leery of using raw eggs. One brand is called "Safest Choice Eggs", & their site has a store locater on it. They also claim that you cannot pasteurize eggs at home, but this statement may or may not be true (I'm sure they want you to buy their eggs instead), but there are dozens of recipes on the Internet on how to make your own pasteurized eggs at home.
  As always, the choice is yours as far as what you're most comfortable with.

ldyrdr4311

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 09, 2014, 12:30:24 PM »
  This sounds so good. Would like to try it, but don't like the idea of using Splenda. In order to add a bit of "sweetness", could one use rice vinegar instead of the white wine vinegar?
  Your thoughts?

Randal

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 09, 2014, 02:13:42 PM »
I use Linda's recipe without the Splenda (or any other sweetener) and it tastes perfectly fine to me, and more vibrant than store-bought mayo. I would say try it first, and then see if you need to substitute. Your sense of taste improves on this WOE, and homemade is so much better than processed that you may find you won't need to sweeten it.

Jan in Key West

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 09, 2014, 02:35:29 PM »
I'm with you Randal....we prefer mayo sans sweetener. I think sugar/sweeteners tend to mask the true nature of foods and may even negatively impact our sense of taste.

jones

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 21, 2014, 08:33:23 AM »
Hellman's makes an olive oil mayo. You'd think the only oil listed would be olive oil, but no -  it's canola oil first, then olive.  ::)  canola oil bad.

Really?  Darn it.  Guess I will have to join the bandwagon of making my own mayo too!

Linda R

« Reply #29 on: February 21, 2014, 09:14:13 AM »
Hellman's makes an olive oil mayo. You'd think the only oil listed would be olive oil, but no - it's canola oil first, then olive.  ::)  canola oil bad.

Really?  Darn it.  Guess I will have to join the bandwagon of making my own mayo too!

Exactly! When I first read that Hellman's was now carrying a mayo made with olive oil, I immediately added it to my shopping list. Then, when I got to the store and checked the label, was I ever disgusted! Talk about false advertising!
That's when I also decided to "bite the bullet" and start making my own, and am so glad I did. It is one of the easiest things ever to make, although I do feel that my immersion blender is the real secret to perfect mayo.

Linda R

« Reply #30 on: June 11, 2014, 12:07:12 PM »
Here is even more reason to leave that mayo on the shelf and make your own..........................

http://buyingmayo.com/

Will there ever come a time when we finally give ALL living creatures the respect they deserve?

deanna in AR

• WF Sept. 2011
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 11, 2014, 02:29:00 PM »
Loanne, This is a recipe I found for homemade mayo with no eggs. Haven't tried it yet. If you try it, let me know please. I can't remember where I got it.

Coconut Milk Mayonnaise (Egg Free)

Coconut Milk Mayonnaise is made by *emulsifying oil, milk, garlic and a few drops of lemon juice together. No eggs! Its creamy, velvety and is the perfect springboard to let your culinary imagination run wild!

What if youre like many Americans and milk is not your friend right now? Never fear,  coconut milk works just as well, **if not better, in this recipe!

1/3 cup very cold unsweetened coconut milk (not canned) or whole milk
3/4 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
1 small garlic clove, peeled
1/8 teaspoon white pepper
About 3/4 cup walnut, macadamia nut, or avocado oil (any oil works, I just prefer the mild taste of these), you may need more or less oil. I often only use a half cup of oil as Im generally happy with the consistency at that point.
sea salt to taste

Combine the milk, lemon juice, garlic and pepper in either the container that came with your immersion blender or a pint sized mason jar. Blend on high until mixture is frothy.

STEP 1:
If using an Immersion Blender: Add 1/4 cup of the oil of your choice and blend in one minute intervals until the ingredients seem to have emulsified (the oil is no longer separate from the other ingredients). Add another 1/4 cup of oil, and repeat until the mixture is the consistency that you prefer. Feel free to add more oil if the consistency is too runny.

Step 2
When the mayonnaise is the consistency that you would like, add the salt to taste. Refrigeration will allow the mayo to set up a bit although you can use it right away. Generally this lasts in the fridge for at least 5 days. If you add a teaspoon of whey or a probiotic capsule to the mixture at the end, it will keep for weeks in the fridge.

Important Tips:

Immersion blenders are not meant to be used for 10 minutes consecutively. Do not run your immersion blender for longer than a minute or you will risk burning out the motor. I usually stop for a few minutes here and there to let my immersion blender cool down a bit. Taking breaks doesnt hurt the final product.

You may need more or less oil. I often only use a half cup of oil as Im generally happy with the consistency at that point.

Coconut milk does not affect the taste of the final product. Just make sure to use plain and not a vanilla flavored coconut milk.

Variations:

As I said before this is the basic recipe. Feel free to use your imagination. I blended in jalapeno peppers and cilantro at the very end for a mayonnaise that took my husbands Roast Beef and Havarti Panini, aptly named The Beefy Mexican to a whole new level! A similar combination made with avocado and cilantro made for an amazing dressing for my simple salad (link to Creamy Cilantro Avocado Dressing video) that absolutely rocked my world (Im salivating just thinking about it!).

For more variations go to the original blog post: The Secrets and Science Behind Milk Mayonnaise. Its a very interesting post and youll learn more about why the various ingredients come together to make this awesome concoction!

Alison

*The term emulsify basically means to break down the liquid molecules (in this case milk) into smaller and smaller droplets until it loosens up and allows the oil to bind to it and thicken.

**I found that the coconut milk mayonnaise lasted longer and stood up better in the fridge when compared to the milk mayonnaise (which tended to separate more quickly than the coconut milk). This is quite possibly because of the carrageenan which is added to almost all boxed coconut milk products.

ldyrdr4311

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 12, 2014, 06:15:19 AM »
Quote from Deanna in AR:

**I found that the coconut milk mayonnaise lasted longer and stood up better in the fridge when compared to the milk mayonnaise (which tended to separate more quickly than the coconut milk). This is quite possibly because of the carrageenan which is added to almost all boxed coconut milk products.

Just out of curiosity: Has anyone tried using xanthan gum to any of these recipes to help keep the "mayo" thick? If you mix this with the oil first into a small amount of the oil that you are using, it doesn't turn into a goop that is very difficult to remove from anything you are using to mix it in with (such as a spoon, a whip, or maybe even the blades on an immersion blender). Sorry, I wouldn't know how much xanthan gum to add to achieve this.

Ldyrdr4311 on 6/12/14 

Randal

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 16, 2014, 08:30:22 AM »
I just made some more mayo the other night. The last couple times I found the olive oil taste a little too strong. After reading Barb (NJ)'s avocado sauce recipe, I put in a little less olive oil and half an avocado. It doesn't emulsify the same, but it does tone down the olive oil taste. Next time I'll try a little coconut oil.

Oh yeah, instead of one egg and one egg yolk, I just went with two eggs. That might make a slight difference too.

Barbara from New Jersey

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 16, 2014, 08:46:13 AM »
Try using Mary's oil (Mary Enig of Nourishing Traditions) for your mayo.  Basically, it is equal parts of coconut (liquified), olive (try lite) and sesame oil mixed together.  The coconut oil makes the mixture thicker when refrigerated. 

Linda R

« Reply #35 on: July 16, 2014, 08:50:48 AM »
Try using Mary's oil (Mary Enig of Nourishing Traditions) for your mayo.  Basically, it is equal parts of coconut (liquified), olive (try lite) and avocado oil mixed together.  The coconut oil makes the mixture thicker when refrigerated.

I thought I read that her recipe was Coconut, Olive and sesame oils. Are there 2 recipes from Mary Enig?

Barbara from New Jersey

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 16, 2014, 11:29:08 AM »
Linda,

You are correct.  I changed the above list of ingredients.  This mixture is good for nearly everything, but I really like it for pan frying things like zucchini pancakes, fish and all stir fry dishes.  The flavors blend and become rather buttery tasting.

Barbara from New Jersey

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 30, 2014, 11:14:50 AM »
NomNomPaleo's new blog post recommended Tessemae's Mayo which can be purchased readymade in a store!  The ingredients are: olive oil, cage free eggs, organic mustard, apple cider vinegar, distilled vinegar, sea salt and lemon juice.  There is another flavor called "Chesapeake" available.  Other nice products too,  They are carried by many Whole Foods, but check their website for your local store. http://www.tessemaes.com/collections/condiments

I hope I corrected this web address properly.  Thanks Randal!

2 hours later:  I've just finished looking over their other products.  Really great stuff!  Readymade ketchup too!   :)

Randal

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: July 30, 2014, 11:58:58 AM »
Slight error on the URL (missing an s). Here is the page with the mayo:

http://www.tessemaes.com/collections/condiments

Wheat Free Forum

« Reply #38 on: July 30, 2014, 11:58:58 AM »

Sponsored Links