This forum is created by people who follow the Wheat Belly Diet, as a place to communicate with each other about various topics. Please note that this site is a user created site, and not one of Dr. Davis' sites.

Author Topic: Bone broth?  (Read 38149 times)

Barbara from New Jersey

• View Profile
Re: Bone broth?
« Reply #50 on: August 19, 2013, 01:41:34 PM »
Bill,
The site has been down due to a programming problem.  Just came back on line today.  Lots of us thought it was our personal computers, but Rita blogged WB and informed us otherwise.

Jan in Key West

• View Profile
« Reply #51 on: August 22, 2013, 07:03:18 AM »
Every year my sister (who is also WB) and I have a friendly and fun competition to see who can come up with the most unusual birthday present for the other.....it's not about the money, it's about the creativeness. So.....this morning I started another batch of 48 hr. chicken-bone-broth which I'm going to freeze in 1 1/2 pint mason jars, wrap with a pretty scarf......and I just may win this year!

Barbara from New Jersey

• View Profile
« Reply #52 on: August 22, 2013, 07:38:53 AM »
Jan,

I have been giving the Ikea frother as gifts.  I tie brown string with a knot or small bead at the end on the long stem.  Maybe 10 pieces, 5" long which is knotted around the metal stem.  I cut a small bra shape which I attach with a string to the top of the stem, put in the the two batteries and present the dancing "hula" doll.  Only to WB people who understand the bulletproof coffee concept!    :D

Perhaps give your sister both the broth and the dancing doll to emphasize the benefits of both as she will have a spring in her step and smile on her face because she feels so good!   
« Last Edit: October 05, 2013, 01:38:40 PM by Barbara from New Jersey »

Rita

• Administrator
  • A student of nutrition
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: October 01, 2013, 10:21:45 AM »
Here's a story on how a potato chip company came to be ...  I think you'll like the bone broth part of it:

http://www.honestchips.com/jacksons-story

deanna in AR

• WF Sept. 2011
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: October 01, 2013, 01:39:11 PM »
Wow Rita! Did you see on their website that apparently she posted on Twitter that:

http://t.co/zkVIyXZyNuWe've got a shot at a commercial during the#SuperBowl! Please help us get there by voting. #TeamSmallBiz

Wouldn't that be great?? A Super Bowl commercial for potato chips made with potatoes, coconut oil and sea salt? I know they're high carb...but they have no unhealthy fats...that's a BIG step!

EVERYONE GO VOTE!!!

HungryinTN

« Reply #55 on: October 01, 2013, 02:05:02 PM »

Rita

• Administrator
  • A student of nutrition
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: October 01, 2013, 02:37:46 PM »
I didn't see that.  I just  voted.  :)

scrupulousgirl

« Reply #57 on: October 01, 2013, 03:06:25 PM »
 I just Voted. Thank you for sharing this!!

This was on the FAQ Page and gives more information about how the Voting works. I'm assuming until they close the polls you can Vote more than once.

https://www.smallbusinessbiggame.com/faq

How does Small Business Big Game work? Small Business Big Game runs over serveral months. Here’s a rough timeline of how it all goes down:
  • August – September: Once you submit your story, you’ll want to rally friends and fans to vote for you. Votes help determine which businesses advance to the next round. This round is now closed.
  • September – October: If you advance, and we hope you do, you will receive an email from us the week of 9/23. More emails will follow with instructions on simple activities you can complete to help us learn more about your business and narrow down entries to the top 20 businesses.
  • Late October: If you’re one of the 20 semi-finalists, you’ll be notified by email. Then, over 8,000 Intuit employees will be given the opportunity to review each of the 20 semi-finalists. The employee vote will decide the final four businesses.
  • November: All four finalists begin the last round on even footing; votes do not carry over from previous rounds. The story with the most votes wins the grand prize.
  • February: The commercial for the winning business will run on the Big Game on 2/2/14.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2013, 03:11:20 PM by scrupulousgirl »

Jan in Key West

• View Profile
« Reply #58 on: October 02, 2013, 07:19:52 AM »
Here's a story on how a potato chip company came to be ...  I think you'll like the bone broth part of it:

http://www.honestchips.com/jacksons-story

Good story! Couldn't locate the nutritional facts so emailed the company, Megan wrote back very quickly with the following answer http://www.honestchips.com/nutrition

Even though they are about 1 net carb per chip, if I were having a cookout, I would serve them for the carb consumers and I might even munch on a couple myself!

Barbara from New Jersey

• View Profile
« Reply #59 on: October 02, 2013, 03:01:29 PM »
I tried to find Jackson's Honest Chips at a supermarket listed on the web site.  Couldn't find them, but this is a large chain so my local store may not carry them.  Walking down the snack isle, I saw many new brands of snacks touting peanut oil, lentils, beans, and various other grains besides what was available just 10 months ago when I started WB.  Smaller companies are producing all kinds of flavors with a large variety of ingredients too. 

It probably will be a good idea to have a bag or two available for company during this holiday season.  Last year I still had some crackers in the pantry and was able to use them up ( to the great relief of my family!) although I didn't eat any. 

Rita

• Administrator
  • A student of nutrition
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: October 02, 2013, 08:57:02 PM »
I found popcorn at Costco made with non GMO corn, coconut oil and sea salt.  Bought it for my family, as it's a better alternative to other stuff. 

deanna in AR

• WF Sept. 2011
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: October 03, 2013, 08:18:54 AM »
I recently saw Boulder brand potato chips available at Costo on a semi-paleo website...ingredients listed were potatoes, avocado oil & sea salt...once again high carb...but no bad fats...

Lynda (Fl)

• Wheat-free for 4 years
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: October 04, 2013, 10:36:52 AM »
I'm thinking of you, Jan!  I'm making chicken stock today.  I'd like to say it lives up to your bone broth but I doubt it.  I'll be happy just to have some slightly nourishing broth.  Of course, I'm out of bay leaves and peppercorns, oh well.  Wish me luck, I'm not used to doing broth.

Jan in Key West

• View Profile
« Reply #63 on: October 04, 2013, 06:44:06 PM »
Lynda.....sending good broth vibes in your direction....unfortunately, not all my bone broth made the trip down here so I'm beginning a new batch tomorrow but in a much smaller kitchen...not iideal!

Lynda (Fl)

• Wheat-free for 4 years
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: October 05, 2013, 08:52:54 AM »
Thanks, Jan.  All I can say so far is: boy, does this stuff  need salt!  Too bad your bone broth didn't make it, that's a lot of work.

Suzhookem

• Wheat Free April 2012
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: October 05, 2013, 11:58:01 AM »
I've reread these 2 pages and they gave it to DH to read. We are bummed. Made bone broth once and it smelled up the whole house with a horrible odor. Tasted terrible and got thrown away. We put a whole organic chicken in a crock pot (doc suggested) with ACV and sea salt and cooked it 48 hours. Didn't smell great but tasted ok I guess. I know I need to be drinking bone broth but can't seem to get there. Now I'm more confused than ever!

Barbara from New Jersey

• View Profile
« Reply #66 on: October 05, 2013, 01:18:20 PM »
Suzhookem and Lynda,

I always use lots of spices and veggies in my broth.  For a crock pot size, I use about a tablespoon of whole peppercorns,  4+ stalks of celery, 4 or so carrots/parsnips, a whole cut up onion, turnips, leeks, whole garlic, several bay leaves, etc.  This makes a very flavorful broth that I use as a soup base and for gravies.  I throw the cooked out veggies and bones away, although some people use this for soil enhancement after they grind it up in a blender.  I save salting it for last.

This is like making chicken soup!  After the broth is cooked and strained, I add cut up fresh dill, carrots and parsnips.  Sometimes I add some of the chicken if I've used a whole one for the soup. 

I pour this broth into 1 cup containers and an ice cube tray and freeze it. I don't buy canned or packaged broths anymore.  With cold weather coming, I like a hot soup and use this as a base.

Remember when consomme' used to be served in restaurants?  This is a bone broth cooked with spices and then strained.  Check some web sites for some hints about flavoring and the technique of using egg whites.  I don't do this because I like the extra veggies and now, I am loving adding cream!

By the way, in some Italian style soups like kale -bean, you can add a 3" piece of parmesan rind while the veggies are cooking for added flavor.

« Last Edit: October 05, 2013, 01:36:48 PM by Barbara from New Jersey »

Lynda (Fl)

• Wheat-free for 4 years
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: October 05, 2013, 02:55:41 PM »
Thanks, Jan, for the vibes!  I put three pounds of chicken wings in my crock pot and left it on high for about six hours.  I didn't think I would get any thickening (gel) but, much to my surprise, when we took it out of the frig, it was completely jelly with a skim of fat.  I put a large onion, carrots and celery in, too, for some flavor.  It took a lot of salt and pepper to fix it (and some tamari sauce).  It's mild but not bad.  We are going to put the meat and some spinich in it for a soup. Barbara, I'm filing your ideas for the next batch, your soup sounds great. You are right, Suz, it smelled like burnt feathers. LOL Since I used just the wings, I wonder if I got the best nutrition? I guess it's better than nothing.

Jan in Key West

• View Profile
« Reply #68 on: October 05, 2013, 03:36:41 PM »
Lynda.....glad it worked out and yes, I do add salt! I drink mine more as a medicinal thing and have gotten used to the lack of flavor....I'm after the nutrients.  We have used a few tablespoons in sauces and I made some egg drop soup with it a few times....and did need to add spices. I started a new batch today using my induction burner and put it in the guest room!

Jan in Key West

• View Profile
« Reply #69 on: October 05, 2013, 03:49:11 PM »
Suz.....maybe if you think of it as medicine, you could just drink it.....but salt it first!  8)

Suzhookem

• Wheat Free April 2012
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: October 06, 2013, 10:45:57 AM »
You're right Jan. I'll just mark it down to one more disgusting thing to put in my mouth and hold my nose. Getting really discouraged. Went out the other day and wasn't sure I would make it back to the car! Very discouraged. I'm trying to get in with a neuropath to get more help. Need to heal my leaky gut and burned out adrenals. I'm reading and trying, reading and trying. I think I need some help and direction. Oh well, this too shall pass. Happy day everyone!

deanna in AR

• WF Sept. 2011
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: October 06, 2013, 12:23:48 PM »
It'll get better Suz...stick in there...saying prayers for you...

Lynda (Fl)

• Wheat-free for 4 years
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: October 06, 2013, 12:32:38 PM »
Hang in there, Suz, we are on your side.

HungryinTN

« Reply #73 on: October 06, 2013, 05:50:33 PM »
Suz - I can't stand the taste of it either, until I add lots of other good stuff.  The most important ingredient for me has been homemade tomato puree (though I know some people don't tolerate nightshades well, so far it doesn't seem to be causing me a problem).  I puree the tomatoes using my handheld mixer and then heat it gently on the stove with garlic, basil, and whatever other spices I feel like at the moment before adding it to the broth.  I also add in sauteed vegetables (carrots, zucchini, onion, red pepper), cooked in butter, ghee, or lard.  Once I've made it into a nice soup it's much more yummy.  I might try it one day with just the tomato puree.   

bill

• View Profile
« Reply #74 on: October 12, 2013, 12:06:56 PM »
Update on bone broth:

I keep seeing the container I put in the
freezer.  Can't get myself to get it out
and continue cooking.

Officially given up.  The bone broth I made
before, tasted and smelled so bad, I
can't bring myself to finish making this.

VibeRadiant

« Reply #75 on: October 15, 2013, 05:40:47 PM »
I've read the threads on bone broth, and I have to be honest, the idea kind of grosses me out. I've just started eating fish again after being vegetarian for so long, I can't imagine drinking bone broth.

So I researched gelatin and I decided that I can add gelatin to water or a smoothie that I will be having for breakfast.

Some of the benefits include hair growth, nail growth, skin tightening, joint nourishment, and oddly enough, healing of stomach ulcers. I don't have ulcers but I thought that was an interesting benefit. 

Barbara from New Jersey

• View Profile
« Reply #76 on: October 15, 2013, 06:18:29 PM »
Vibe,

On another thread I listed Bernard Jensen brand gelatin capsules which I take with vitamin c to help tighten my skin after all this weight loss.  Look into Great Lakes brand too.  These are powdered and can be added to smoothies. 

VibeRadiant

« Reply #77 on: October 15, 2013, 06:28:53 PM »
will do, thanks.

scrupulousgirl

• View Profile
« Reply #78 on: March 05, 2014, 02:41:29 PM »
I tried to find Jackson's Honest Chips at a supermarket listed on the web site.  Couldn't find them, but this is a large chain so my local store may not carry them.  Walking down the snack isle, I saw many new brands of snacks touting peanut oil, lentils, beans, and various other grains besides what was available just 10 months ago when I started WB.  Smaller companies are producing all kinds of flavors with a large variety of ingredients too. 

It probably will be a good idea to have a bag or two available for company during this holiday season.  Last year I still had some crackers in the pantry and was able to use them up ( to the great relief of my family!) although I didn't eat any.

Good afternoon!

Just wondering if anyone ever found the Jackson Chips that are made with Coconut oil locally?

http://www.honestchips.com/

Jan in Key West

• View Profile
« Reply #79 on: March 06, 2014, 04:18:27 AM »
I haven't found a store that carries 'honest chips' , but at 1 net carb per chip, would probably buy only for guests anyway. It might be interesting if they came out with an anaerobically fermented potato chip cooked in coconut oil....reducing sugar levels and inhibiting the formation of acrylamide and then defining the carb values, which might be significantly less. That's a personal experiment I want to try, using a BG meter but I keep forgetting to buy potatoes!

http://pickl-it.com/blog/783/traditional-potato-preparation-reduces-acrylamide/

Rita

• Administrator
  • A student of nutrition
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: November 07, 2014, 06:55:59 AM »
Looks like New York has it's first take-out bone broth window serving bone broth in coffee cups:

http://wellandgood.com/2014/11/05/why-new-yorkers-will-be-sipping-bone-broth-in-coffee-cups-this-winter/

Jan in Key West

• View Profile
« Reply #81 on: November 07, 2014, 09:59:53 AM »
Thanks for posting Rita....I'm forwarding to all my family & friends who think I've gone completely mad when it comes to my bone broth consumption!

Linda R

« Reply #82 on: November 07, 2014, 10:20:04 AM »
I sure hope this catches on [as I pour 4 cups of my homemade cage free chicken broth into a large pot while making Cream of Chicken soup]!

What a healthy idea! First time I've seen chicken and beef broth combined. Wonder how that tastes?

HungryinTN

« Reply #83 on: November 07, 2014, 01:02:05 PM »
So exciting!  I've been tempted to order some from Bare Bones Broth Company recently with the cold weather approaching.  I still have some bones in my freezer, but they're a little on the old side...

Barbara from New Jersey

• View Profile
« Reply #84 on: November 07, 2014, 02:34:49 PM »
Hungry,

You can still simmer them to make a broth.  Don't forget to roast them first!

Jan in Key West

• View Profile
« Reply #85 on: January 09, 2015, 03:04:16 PM »
According to Carson Daly, bone broth is the new 'hip food' so now all our kids think we're really cool! 8)

Linda R

« Reply #86 on: January 09, 2015, 04:33:11 PM »
According to Carson Daly, bone broth is the new 'hip food' so now all our kids think we're really cool! 8)

Finally!

deanna in AR

• WF Sept. 2011
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: January 10, 2015, 08:49:36 AM »
I sure hope this catches on [as I pour 4 cups of my homemade cage free chicken broth into a large pot while making Cream of Chicken soup]!

Linda R, I'd love to have your recipe for Cream of Chicken Soup??

Linda R

« Reply #88 on: January 10, 2015, 10:41:03 AM »
Here you go..................

CREAM OF CHICKEN SOUP   Total carbs – 40.50   1/8 serving = 5.00  1/9 serving = 4.50
2 tablespoons butter
1/2 cup onion, chopped,  [4.50]
1 tsp organic garlic, minced [1.00]
1 teaspoon pepper
1/2 teaspoon paprika
1 teaspoon xanthan gum
16 ounces organic cauliflower, chopped,  [12.00]
4 cups homemade chicken broth
1 can full fat coconut milk [15.00]
2 cups diced cooked chicken  [cage free]
Cooked, organic,carrots, chopped, 3 ounces  [6.00]
2 tsp Parsley Paste [2.00]
Salt, to taste, about 1-2 teaspoons

In a large soup kettle, sauté the onion and garlic in butter until almost tender. Meanwhile, in a small bowl, stir together the pepper, paprika and xanthan gum. When the vegetables are tender, sprinkle the seasoning mixture over them; mix well. Add the cauliflower and broth. Bring to a boil. Cover and simmer, stirring occasionally, on low heat about 20 - 30 minutes or until vegetables are very tender. Use immersion blender to create creamy texture.  Stir in the coconut milk, chicken, carrots and parsley paste. Simmer until soup is heated through. Add salt to taste.
Makes about 6-8 servings
Can be frozen

Stole this recipe from Linda Genaw's site, did some minor tweaking.

deanna in AR

• WF Sept. 2011
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: January 10, 2015, 11:43:10 AM »
Thanks Linda R, it sounds delicious.

littlbit

• View Profile
« Reply #90 on: January 13, 2015, 03:52:29 PM »
In the wheat belly book, Dr. Davis says, don't skim off the fat on the broths, but I see many people do.  Sorry, but I am confused.  What is the right approach?

Barbara from New Jersey

• View Profile
« Reply #91 on: January 13, 2015, 05:34:31 PM »
Whatever tastes good to you!

I do not like to leave the fat in my soup/broth.  I skim it off and freeze it to use when preparing other meals.  The chicken fat is my favorite. Beef is next.
It doesn't go to waste.  The flavor is good and I often add it to ghee or coconut oil in recipes when I saute' or stir fry.

littlbit

• View Profile
« Reply #92 on: January 14, 2015, 06:55:19 AM »
Great idea.  Thanks.

Redhead65

• View Profile
« Reply #93 on: January 24, 2015, 11:20:02 AM »
I am making bone broth now. I bought two packets of bones from an organic butcher. The second packet is in the freezer and will be used next weekend. I am using garlic, parsley, carrots, celery, a parsnip, leech, salt, fresh nutmeg an onion and fresh tumeric. I will let it simmer for 4 hours.

Has any of you tried to make broth in the pressure cooker? Is the tast as good as when you let it simmer for a long time?

Barbara from New Jersey

• View Profile
« Reply #94 on: January 24, 2015, 12:13:16 PM »
Redhead,

Some people roast the bones prior to making broth.  Also, when you add a TBS. of vinegar, it helps leach out the minerals.   Add any fresh herb like parsley only at the very last half hour of cooking.   I like to simmer the broth.  I think the flavor is much richer than using a pressure cooker.  Plenty of people disagree, but I think the slow simmer lets the flavors concentrate in the liquid.  You often have to add more water the longer you simmer.  Broth can be simmered for several days.  You can cover the pot to catch the condensation and steam. 

Redhead65

• View Profile
« Reply #95 on: January 24, 2015, 12:34:47 PM »
I will add a bit of vinegar now. Thanks, Barbara. It is too late to roast the bones now, but I will try to remember it for next time.

I also feel that it is better to simmer the broth for a long time. I may have said "cook", but I meant "simmer". A quick fix (pressure cooker) cannot be the same as the real thing.

Linda R

« Reply #96 on: January 24, 2015, 12:41:09 PM »
I agree with Barb.
Long, slow simmering.
I prefer to use my Crockpots. Just opened a bag of chicken backs and bony pieces that I purchased from a local producer via the
Iowa Food Coop. I used both of my largest Pots, covered the bones with water, and simmered them for 2 days on Low.
It produced the richest, most colorful chicken broth ever. Really puts Swanson's stuff to shame.

Ended up with 18 cups of broth, now safely stashed away in my smaller freezer.

Almost forgot. Put a TBSP or so of apple cider vinegar in each pot as well.

Jan in Key West

• View Profile
« Reply #97 on: January 24, 2015, 01:27:42 PM »
Several bone broth forums/blogs recommend simmering bones (both large and medium morrow) below 160 degrees.....the high heat from pressure cooking, even though a faster method, kills off the nutrients (says Sally Fallon and others). Beef bones take a minimum of 72 hours to completely leach, while chicken bones, being less dense, take at least 24 hours.. To my beef bone broth, I add cartilage and hooves (if I can get them!) and to my chicken bone broth I add chicken feet. We don't use pork bones...I remember reading on several sites not to use them, can't remember why. If you're on good terms with your farm butcher, you can have them saw your bones in half, exposing more surface area.....or take them out in your driveway and hammer away.... 8) .

I've experimented using several different methods and what's worked best for me is using my old turkey roaster.....it's the only way I've been able to stay below the 160 temperature. Use a thermometer to adjust settings.

Rita

• Administrator
  • A student of nutrition
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: February 05, 2015, 08:51:19 PM »
Ended up with 18 cups of broth

Wow!  You must have had lots of pots going!

Linda R

« Reply #99 on: February 06, 2015, 06:59:24 AM »
Ended up with 18 cups of broth

Wow!  You must have had lots of pots going!

Actually just two large Crock Pots, a 6.5 qt and a 5 qt.

Wheat Free Forum

« Reply #99 on: February 06, 2015, 06:59:24 AM »

Sponsored Links