This forum is created by people who follow the Wheat Belly Diet, as a place to communicate with each other about various topics. Please note that this site is a user created site, and not one of Dr. Davis' sites.

Author Topic: Measuring Matters at Curves  (Read 6176 times)

lyra

• View Profile
Measuring Matters at Curves
« on: August 09, 2013, 07:13:49 AM »
I go to Curves and had my weights and measures done. They do this every month, if they can catch up with you. It had been six weeks since my last measurement. I am 64 years old and don't intend to lose weight. I stay with the wheat belly program to optimize my health. But on with the story. My abdomen measured four inches less, hips down 3.50 inches, waist down 1 inch. Weight down 1 and 1/2 pounds. Now, my thighs are the same and don't really want to get any thinner, apparently. That's where I keep my cellulite stored. 8) The woman asked me if I was sick, and when I told her about some of the basics of Wheat Belly, she smiled and said, You live alone, don't you? 

Randal

• View Profile
Re: Measuring Matters at Curves
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2013, 08:03:20 AM »
Excuse my French, but that woman is a passive-aggressive bitch! She can't handle your success because it challenges her false ingrained notions, so she responds with a thinly veiled attack. In order to earn that dollar, she's got to push starvation and struggle methods that don't work, and your progress threatens her security. Shove it in her face by continuing your success.

bcflyfisher

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2013, 08:37:05 AM »
The funny thing is, although a couple of people have asked me if I'm "ok" or "sick" that question hasn't come from anyone I would consider even moderately fit.

Let 'em handle their own baggage...

Lynda (Fl)

• Wheat-free for 4 years
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2013, 09:20:15 AM »
So, you can only lose inches and tone up if you are 'sick' or 'alone'?  Somebody in that conversation had a problem and it wasn't you, Lyra.  That woman gives the rest of us a bad rep.  She needs a wake-up slap.

lyra

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2013, 10:14:02 AM »
Thanks everyone for your support. I was happy with the results, even if that lady thinks I must be sick and alone...Next time the staff insists on my doing this weights and measures thing, which is only on their program, not mine, I will tell them to just write refused. I have a scale and measuring tape at home, thank you very much.  :D

Lynda (Fl)

• Wheat-free for 4 years
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2013, 10:49:22 AM »
You should be happy, those were amazing results.  That woman's snarky remark really detracted from your terrific success.  Keep it up, you give the rest of us hope.

Barbara from New Jersey

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2013, 11:10:11 AM »
Rudeness only shows the ignorance of the person.  Those comments don't make much sense at all ..... what does not eating wheat/grains/sugar have to do with who you live with?  Curves is in business to help you develop your curves!  That is why you are there.
Your success is wonderful!  Chalk the comments off to a wheat addled brain.  Surely she felt more important and better about herself by belittling you.

Often times people will be very angry or perhaps jealous that you are happy, thriving and exude good health and a sense of calmness.  This is what WB does for all of us.  Our sense of calmness is very disturbing to someone who still eats grains and sugars.

We applaud your success and you are a role model of all of us!

Rita

• Administrator
  • A student of nutrition
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2013, 11:17:53 AM »
Congratulations on your results!  That's great.  ( And I can't believe that woman said that, especially since they are supposed to be supportive )

arlin

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2013, 12:57:48 PM »
Holy crikey she's rude! Not only that, she seems a bit dense LOL. That comment made no sense at all. Why would one have to live alone in order to eat well?  :o All you can do is shake your head, laugh a little and go on your sensible way! Down south we'd just reply with "Aw, bless your heart" and leave it at that! LOL

I think your success speaks for itself lyra.

Jan in Key West

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 09, 2013, 03:51:16 PM »
Lyra....that woman was extremely condescending! But your story reminded me of the time I was grocery shopping in Florida....my husband wasn't with me and my cart was filed with veggies, fruit etc. An older couple was shopping nearby and the husband, being bored; yet talky, asked me if "I was a single gal"? I asked him why he would think that and he answered, " Because no man in his right mind would eat the stuff in your cart"....we both had a good laugh!

Randal

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 10, 2013, 05:46:53 PM »
The more I think about this, the more I believe you should report her to her supervisor. Those kinds of comments are unprofessional and have no place in a fitness environment. If she's making snide comments like that to you, who knows what she's saying to discourage others from progress. If I were the boss, I'd want to know if my employees were behaving so rudely so I could put a stop to it.

lyra

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 11, 2013, 07:20:09 AM »
The more I think about this, the more I believe you should report her to her supervisor. Those kinds of comments are unprofessional and have no place in a fitness environment. If she's making snide comments like that to you, who knows what she's saying to discourage others from progress. If I were the boss, I'd want to know if my employees were behaving so rudely so I could put a stop to it.

I will think about it. I see your point and I sure appreciate your support. It's true, this place is really unprofessional in many ways. I do enjoy their machines and the price is right. I hate the entire weigh and measure routine and really should say no when they ask me to do it, since it is their agenda and not mine. Who's paying who here? I just want to tone up. But I will consider your thoughts about it, Randal.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2013, 07:24:01 AM by lyra »

lyra

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 11, 2013, 07:27:11 AM »
Lyra....that woman was extremely condescending! But your story reminded me of the time I was grocery shopping in Florida....my husband wasn't with me and my cart was filed with veggies, fruit etc. An older couple was shopping nearby and the husband, being bored; yet talky, asked me if "I was a single gal"? I asked him why he would think that and he answered, " Because no man in his right mind would eat the stuff in your cart"....we both had a good laugh!

That's funny, Jan! I might have said to the Curves lady,  "Well, no woman in her right mind would want to be married to your husband."

Barbara from New Jersey

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 11, 2013, 08:19:44 AM »
Every place of business NEEDS customers.  Lack of supervision encourages this kind of behavior.  When you let the management know what occurred and how offensive the remarks were. The fact that despite your terrific results, the comments were geared to be personally demeaning rather than praising the results using the Curves facility/guidance makes you a dissatisfied customer.

You can certainly guess that this person has been rude to others too.  First, you let management know about the problem.  Second, give them a chance to fix it.  Third, if something like this happens again, you let the manager know that you do not wish to be a customer at a place that is so poorly supervised.   Ask for your money back! 

I had an experience many years ago at a local yoga center.  I signed up for a gentle yoga series for women. The instructor purposely heated the room to 90*, thinking that it was wonderful.  I asked her to lower the temp.  She didn't.  I politely told the manager about the heat and how it is uncomfortable for all of us and everyone had very red faces and was sweating.  Next week I opened windows and asked the teacher for a lower temperature. She refused saying that the heat was wonderful!  She blamed me for not "getting into the right frame of mind." Management said they would talk to the teacher.  Third session this happened again and I asked  for my $ back for the remaining classes.  They lost me as a customer, returned the balance of the series fee. Less then half the class renewed.  The teacher is no longer employed and I see the parking lot is still mostly empty after 5 years. When I meet the other women from the class, they all tell stories about being told they somehow don't measure up or go with the flow or whatever. 

Bottom line: WALK WITH YOUR POCKETBOOK!  If you were insulted, so were others.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2013, 09:02:11 AM by Rita »

Randal

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 11, 2013, 09:53:51 AM »
Barbara, it sounds like that instructor was imitating Bikram yoga, where they heat the room up to 105 degrees (!), ostensibly to increase flexibility and clear out the toxins from the body. I don't do yoga, but I briefly dated this one girl who later became a Bikram yoga instructor. We met up for drinks one night after she started teaching, and she had the worst acne as a result. Her whole face was completely broken out. It was a shame too because she was beautiful, and even worse she was an aspiring actress and couldn't get booked with those complexion problems. Katy Perry make-up levels couldn't cover that up. You were right to walk out.

Businesses need customers, and supervisors need to know when employees are hurting their business.

Barbara from New Jersey

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 11, 2013, 10:58:50 AM »
Yes, she probably was imitating Birkram yoga.  Too bad she chose the wrong class to do this with (gentle yoga for middle aged ladies) and then compounded the issue by insisting on having her way!  If the supervisors did their job proper this would not have happened.  The room temp would have been even higher than 85* if it had been a warmer month rather than winter in NJ.

By the way, you can purchase an immersion blender (hand held stick) for about $15 in discount stores.  Use that or a blender if you have one to make the olive oil mayo.  No skill needed except for cracking open the egg and slowly adding the oil. The mayo lasts about a week or so.  Making small amounts is the key.  It is just as delicious as can be and well worth the investment for the immersion blender and ingredients.  I broil fish with mayo smeared over the top.  Spice it with anything.  Paul Prudhomme makes   a Magic Salmon Seasoning that is delicious over the top of the mayo.  There is a bit of sugar in it, but not much and you don't use enough to really throw off your blood sugar.  Or, if you can mix equal amounts of salt, onion,granulated garlic, ground mustard and paprika and sprinkle it on top.  You will impress yourself!

Jan in Key West

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 11, 2013, 04:09:16 PM »
Barbara...As an Alliance yoga instructor/student, and as someone who loves the practice, it saddens me when I hear stories like yours and hope it doesn't prevent you from seeking out other teachers. The Yoga Sutras begin with "Do no harm".....maybe your teacher missed that class! A responsible teacher will never lead you somewhere you don't need to be. And yes, Randal's right, she was doing a version of Bikram (hot) yoga.....and that's an entirely different ballgame than a 'gentle/restorative class. I'm glad you walked out....I would have too!

Wheat Free Forum

« Reply #16 on: August 11, 2013, 04:09:16 PM »

Sponsored Links