This forum is created by people who follow the Wheat Belly Diet, as a place to communicate with each other about various topics. Please note that this site is a user created site, and not one of Dr. Davis' sites.

Author Topic: An eating out delimma  (Read 2028 times)

LibbyMe

• View Profile
An eating out delimma
« on: August 10, 2013, 04:46:11 PM »
Occasionally my husband and I are a part of a group that (it's a church group) gets together for a meeting.  At times they might order pizza's for supper (I'm not in control of this)...so what could I do??  Any suggestions??  My mantra has been, I don't want others to make concessions just for me as I'm a "minority" in this instance.
I'd like to hear what other folks do to live their lives as normally as possible.

Janknitz

• View Profile
Re: An eating out delimma
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2013, 05:24:32 PM »
A few options:

1.  Ask if a salad can be ordered too, and stick with the salad. 
2.  Eat before you go, nurse a drink (i.e. unsweetened ice tea) while everyone eats their pizza and enjoy the company.
3.  Sometimes I peel off the toppings and eat them alone. 

Randal

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2013, 05:26:24 PM »
This situation happens a lot to me at work. I've told people I have a wheat allergy and they understand. I also tell them not to make accommodations for me. In situations like that, I simply bring my own food.

Vegetarians have been dealing with this for years. However, I recommend not being like the vegetarians I know and being sanctimonious, self-righteous, and smug about your health choice.

Barbara from New Jersey

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2013, 04:40:07 AM »
Treat this the same as if you had a severe allergy like the people who are allergic to nuts.  Politely inquire if there is a question about ingredients, sometimes call or go to the place beforehand to establish what can be ordered, or just eat before you go and order a drink. 

Calling the place ahead of time and talking to the owner is the best way in my opinion. Call at slow times.  You can ask what they would suggest for you.  Even a Pizza place can make up an antipasto with fresh cheeses, meats (OK , some nitrates won't kill you and most Italian brands don't contain wheat) and veggies or a salad.  Some are even offering a gluten free individual pie.  Splurge on the carbs for that meal!

Not one "to make a fuss", when there isn't any acceptable food available at the group place of choice, I just eat before hand, order an acceptable drink and be sociable the entire time.  If questioned, I say "my stomach is funny", "my allergies are acting up" or something similar and people usually accept that.  We have all had someone call attention to their health issues by obnoxiously questioning the waiter or waitress endlessly.  Avoiding that is a skill you develop! 

WBB has had many comments about eating at catered events.  I have found that the person in charge is usually quite helpful in listing the gluten free foods for you.  At one event, I wound up eating only the garnishments of kale, parsley, carrots, radish and fruits, with a dressing of squeezed lemon. I have quietly even scraped off the rice on sushi and eaten the rest with only wasabi sauce. Don't fuss!  Most people will just ignore you then.  I don't care if they think of me as eccentric. 

Also, many hamburger places are adding wheat to their burgers.  They say that wheat is what makes them juicy.  Inquire about this practice ahead of time! 

HungryinTN

« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2013, 07:19:50 AM »
I've always handled similar situations by eating before I go.  Maybe get a salad if that's an option.  I might attract a few questions, and if so I'll explain my situation (depending on the audience I might deflect a little by explaining that I started out doing research for my mom). So far, so good.   

LibbyMe

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2013, 11:33:16 AM »
I live in a large retirement community...that said, the meeting I'm referring to generally meets mid-afternoon.  The event(s) in question are followed by pizza called in for supper, not eating in a restaurant but at the meeting place.  Think Pizza Hut, Papa John's and the like...so no gluten free crusts that I'd know of.  I'm considering taking my own salad along but I was just inquiring on how other folks "might" handle a situation like this.  I've handled "eating out" just fine, since I've been on W.B. now for 6 months.  I appreciate all the input from you folks and thank you!

deanna in AR

• WF Sept. 2011
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2013, 12:03:42 PM »
Mazzio's has a "gluten-free" pizza...not very good. You could make your own pizza and take it! They'd all want yours!!!

Bellamouse

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2013, 01:52:52 PM »
This happens to me at our office meetings.  I just pick the toppings off and eat those.   Occasionally they'll have a salad too, which of course I take.  You could ask whomever is in charge if they would consider ordering a salad to go along with the pizzas.  Otherwise, I think you're stuck with picking off the cheese and toppings, or bringing your own food, or eating nothing.   
Most of our sales meetings are just bagels and cream cheese.   :'(   So I just sit and watch everyone stuff themselves with those.  I have to remember to eat a good breakfast before I go to those meetings.   :)

deanna in AR

• WF Sept. 2011
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2013, 01:56:52 PM »
You know, we've picked the toppings off to eat also...when we were at friends' house and they ordered pizza. It worked out fine. You may have to have an extra piece in order to feel full.

Wheat Free Forum

« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2013, 01:56:52 PM »

Sponsored Links