This forum is created by people who follow the Wheat Belly Diet, as a place to communicate with each other about various topics. Please note that this site is a user created site, and not one of Dr. Davis' sites.

Author Topic: Ketchup  (Read 4285 times)

Rita

• Administrator
  • A student of nutrition
    • View Profile
Ketchup
« on: August 11, 2013, 11:02:55 AM »
Can anyone recommend a good sugar free ketchup?   Looks like Nature's Hollow ( the people who make that good syrup) have one, but I don't know if it's any good.  It's a little pricey.

I'll probably have to make my own....   but I just don't feel like it.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2013, 11:07:18 AM by Rita »

scrupulousgirl

Re: Ketchup
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2013, 11:16:42 AM »
Aaaaagghhhh! Stupid iPad just killed my long post.

Long post short, I keep this on hand. I know you said you don't want to make it, but its easy and suggest adding Cinnamon if you like a more Smokey flavor. Might try Walden Farms on store bought ketchup? I know they make Sugar free Pancake syrup, not sure if its WB compliant, but worth researching to see if they also have Ketchup. HTH.

http://notinmoderation.wordpress.com/2011/08/26/nailed-it-ryan-wilders-wicked-easy-paleo-ketchup/

Ryan Wilders Wicked Easy Paleo Ketchup About 12oz Tomato Paste (try to find it in BPA-free packaging if possible)
  • 1.5 Cup Water
  • 2 tbsp Vinegar
  • 1/2 tsp Garlic Powder
  • 1/2 tsp Onion Powder
  • 1/4 tsp All Spice

Combine all ingredients in a small sauce pan. Simmer for a few minutes and stir often. Transfer ketchup to a glass container and refrigerate. Thats it. Give me a shout if you try it out!

« Last Edit: August 11, 2013, 11:34:52 AM by scrupulousgirl »

Rita

• Administrator
  • A student of nutrition
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2013, 11:44:44 AM »
That looks pretty easy.  Any guess on how long that would stay good in the fridge?

scrupulousgirl

« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2013, 12:10:34 PM »
That looks pretty easy.  Any guess on how long that would stay good in the fridge?

Rita,

I would go three weeks tops. If you don't think you'll use it often, cut the Recipe in half. I used to be a Heinz ketchup fiend and since starting Wheat Belly, I rarely even think about added sauces like Ketchup, but I have enjoyed having this on hand in a pinch and I'm sure someone coud take this base and figure out how to make a BBQ sauce also.

Someone who is a more seasoned cook may have a more accurate shelf-life suggestion.  :)

deanna in AR

• WF Sept. 2011
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2013, 12:24:34 PM »
I have a BBQ sauce recipe that we like a lot. It has honey in it, so if you NEVER eat honey, you'll have to adjust it. I'll post it under Recipes.

scrupulousgirl

« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2013, 01:15:58 PM »
Deanna,

Thank you for sharing! Just printed and will try it next time I make Pulled Pork  :) :)

Linda R

« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2013, 02:27:39 PM »

EVEN BETTER "HEINZ" KETCHUP
6 ounce can tomato paste
8 ounce can tomato sauce
1/4 cup plus 3 tablespoons white vinegar
1/4 cup water, or enough to get the right consistency
1/4 cup granular Splenda or equivalent liquid Splenda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon onion powder
1/8 teaspoon allspice
1/8 teaspoon ground cloves
1/8 teaspoon cinnamon
1/8 teaspoon garlic powder

Mix all of the ingredients well. Cover and simmer for 1 hour. Cool then chill before serving. Keep refrigerated.

Makes 2 cups or about 32 tablespoons

Made with granular Splenda:
1 tablespoon: 7 Calories; trace Fat; trace Protein; 2g Carbohydrate; trace Dietary Fiber; 1.5g Net Carbs
1/4 cup: 28 Calories; trace Fat; 1g Protein; 7g Carbohydrate; 1g Dietary Fiber; 6g Net Carbs
1 cup: 112 Calories; trace Fat; 5g Protein; 28.5g Carbohydrate; 5g Dietary Fiber; 23.5g Net Carbs

Made with liquid Splenda:
1 tablespoon: 6 Calories; trace Fat; trace Protein; 2g Carbohydrate; trace Dietary Fiber; 1.5g Net Carbs
1/4 cup: 25 Calories; trace Fat; 1g Protein; 6.5g Carbohydrate; 1.5g Dietary Fiber; 5g Net Carbs
1 cup: 100 Calories; trace Fat; 5g Protein; 25.5g Carbohydrate; 5g Dietary Fiber; 20.5g Net Carbs

Rita

• Administrator
  • A student of nutrition
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2013, 02:44:06 PM »
Linda-  do you know how long your recipe keeps in the fridge?

Jan in Key West

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2013, 03:48:24 PM »
Rita....I've ordered and tried most of Nature Hollow's condiments....BBQ sauce, ketchup and maple syrup (which was high carb!).....and while good, they were pricey. I now make my own maple syrup (easy) and BBQ sauce.....now will try the ketchup recipe posted today!

Rita

• Administrator
  • A student of nutrition
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2013, 04:01:30 PM »
I now make my own maple syrup (easy)

Will you post your maple syrup recipe in the recipe section?

Linda R

« Reply #10 on: August 12, 2013, 07:22:50 AM »
Linda-  do you know how long your recipe keeps in the fridge?

I actually "stole" this recipe from another who creates and posts awesome LC recipes. I will try and find out......

Just got a reply from the creator, and she says...................

"It seems to keep for a very long time or at least I've never had any go bad. I've had some in the fridge for many weeks or even a couple of months or longer and it was still good. I kind of lose track because I don't use ketchup that often. I do put the date on the top of the jar and I just checked my latest batch. I made it in June and it's still fine."
« Last Edit: August 12, 2013, 10:56:17 AM by Linda R »

deanna in AR

• WF Sept. 2011
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 12, 2013, 07:51:38 AM »
Jan, will you post your BBQ recipe...for comparison?

Wheat Free Forum

« Reply #11 on: August 12, 2013, 07:51:38 AM »

Sponsored Links