This forum is created by people who follow the Wheat Belly Diet, as a place to communicate with each other about various topics. Please note that this site is a user created site, and not one of Dr. Davis' sites.

Author Topic: Besides dropping wheat... did you make any other dietary adjustments?  (Read 10152 times)

Bing

• View Profile
Did you just drop wheat?
I dropped all grains and diary, I also upped my greens and good fats.

Janet389

• View Profile
Re: Besides dropping wheat... did you make any other dietary adjustments?
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2013, 05:50:50 AM »
We dropped wheat plus all grains and sugar as Dr. Davis advises. Since my weight loss has stalled I am thinking about dropping dairy. If I understand this correctly the whey in dairy could be stalling my weight loss.  I guess only way to find out is to stop eating dairy.  I have also started exercising again.

Joan from MN

• Wheat free since 1/20/13
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2013, 09:10:53 AM »
We dropped just wheat at first, then all grains, then sugar. Also increased greens and good fats. I've dropped most dairy, but still have cream in my coffee in the morning, butter on vegetables, and occasional cheese.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2013, 09:39:23 AM by Joan from MN »

arlin

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2013, 10:00:25 AM »
I dropped all grains. I have type 2 diabetes and according to his book, dropping all grains would be most beneficial. In the future I may add some grains back in, but for now I'm quite happy living without any of them. Wheat, however, will never pass these lips again!  ;D Dr. Davis has made this so easy to do! I haven't really changed much of anything else at this point. I wasn't eating sugar before (I use xylitol from birch and Stevia) and I was pretty low carb before I went grain free. I had been limiting myself to a small amount of sprouted grain bread. I would say I've upped my intake of vegetables. Especially greens. I still eat meat, but in smaller portions, and I've been trying some new-to-me foods such as jicama. Fun!!

Bing

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2013, 10:21:21 AM »
...I was pretty low carb before I went grain free...

Did you ever experience the 'carb flu'?
I get all weak and shaky at times, I suspect this is due to less carbs or low blood sugar. Anxiety shoots up as well.
I usually reach for some chocolate and / or bananas.

Jan in Key West

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2013, 01:38:55 PM »
Like Arlin, we were fairly low carb as well to begin with....but you heard Dr. D, a little goes a long way!  Now we are also mostly dairy free (small amount of butter), but we do eat lots of eggs.....no sugar, other than a few drops of stevia in something, very low fruit (I eat a few berries per day). Trying to get my plant/animal protein ratio turned around to better levels for bone health and am going to start measuring my ketone levels whenever my monitor gets here! Oh, I do eat one half of an avocado each day, guess that's a fruit.....and alas, it's mango season and this year I must pass.....too much sugar. But I'm going to learn how to harvest my coconuts for next year!

arlin

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2013, 02:09:26 PM »

No Bingo, I don't think I've ever experienced that. I actually feel less shaky now that I'm grain free, and the anxiety, hypertension, and rapid heart beat that I used to experience is no longer an issue. I eat a lot of fresh veggies though, so I might be getting enough carbs from them that it's not bothering me to be without the grain carbs. I do get a little shaky if I go too long without eating though. When I start feeling that way and I test my sugar, it's usually dropped into the 70's and I know it's time to eat something!

I hope this situation improves for you soon. It's no fun being shaky and feeling anxious! But glad you've found a way to make it better. MMMMM...chocolate! :) I do allow myself a Dove Dark now and then.

Tsumpter

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2013, 08:04:57 PM »
No milk, but do use sour cream, and half and half and cheese because I love the frittata recipes in WBCB. I even made a vegetarian one that turned out awesome. I eat way less fruit mostly just blueberries and raspberries in plain Greek yogurt sweetened with 3 drops of stevia. I am doing everything per Dr. Davis.

deanna in AR

• WF Sept. 2011
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2013, 12:46:12 PM »

I get all weak and shaky at times, I suspect this is due to less carbs or low blood sugar. Anxiety shoots up as well.

Bing, if it's low blood sugar, do you think you might be eating too much fruit? I think it was Dr. D who told me your blood sugar doesn't drop without being raised first. Does that sound right?

Bing

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2013, 02:36:54 PM »

Bing, if it's low blood sugar, do you think you might be eating too much fruit? I think it was Dr. D who told me your blood sugar doesn't drop without being raised first. Does that sound right?

Too much fruit... could be, not sure, I'm at 3 servings a day, a banana or chocolate seems to reduce these symptoms. Does it drop below normal after a spike? like an insuline valley?
I think I need to up my carbs a little as I never really replaced the carbs I got from the bread, pasta etc I used to eat.

deanna in AR

• WF Sept. 2011
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 23, 2013, 03:14:34 PM »

Too much fruit... could be, not sure, I'm at 3 servings a day, a banana or chocolate seems to reduce these symptoms. Does it drop below normal after a spike? like an insuline valley?
I think I need to up my carbs a little as I never really replaced the carbs I got from the bread, pasta etc I used to eat.

My understanding is it drops after a spike. Someone else want to weigh in on this?

We eat a half serving of fruit a day. We usually get most of our carbs from veggies.

Joan from MN

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 23, 2013, 03:58:03 PM »
Yes, my understanding is that a blood sugar drop follows a spike.

For years I experienced reactive hypoglycemia after ingesting too many starchy carbs. A bagel or oatmeal (unsweetened) at breakfast, a corn muffin in the afternoon, or rice pudding in the evening would guarantee that I'd end up a shaky, weak, anxious mess a couple of hours later. Some protein + fat usually stops an attack right away.

Haven't had any problems since following WB / Paleo. I have 1-2 pieces of fruit a day at most (and in small quantities, like half of an apple at a time) and never on an empty stomach. But I have to admit, I feel better when I eat less fruit.

Bing, I'd be interested in hearing when you experience the weakness and shakiness. Shortly after a meal or several hours later?   

Bing

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 24, 2013, 01:14:31 AM »
Not sure, atm I would say there's no real pattern other than maybe it kicks in after my activity level goes up?

It feels more like anxiety mixed with some shakiness, I know there's a strong gut-brain connection so maybe my IBS reacts to the change of food or something, but I have been eating like this for a while now.

Yesterday I didn't have any chocolate to make it subside and after a while it still went so now I'm not so sure it's food related any longer.

On the other hand... I know there's something called low carb flu... we'll see.

Loanne

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 25, 2013, 09:13:14 AM »
I've dropped wheat, grains, sugar, and processed food.  I used to eat handfuls of allowable things between meals when I first started, I think to get used to the new way of eating.  But I've kind of stopped that now.  I have nuts once in awhile, and 85% chocolate once a week, but the dt. Mt. Dew is still a regular every day.  I know, I know, bad for me.  Just not willing to let that go yet.  I don't eat out at fast food places now, only restaurants that serve regular food, and only with someone.  Don't go alone. I need to start some exercise, but haven't yet.  Yes, I've made many changes...down 3 sizes so far. 

Jan

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 25, 2013, 02:39:14 PM »
So, can someone tell me if Whey Protein is bad?  I use that in my protein shakes with strawberries, avocado, chia seeds, and some Athletic Green powder with Almond Milk.  My weightloss has stopped also.  Help!  and thanks!

Joan from MN

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 25, 2013, 04:00:19 PM »
I don't think it's necessarily a problem for all people, but it can stall weight loss. From the WB blog:

"Some people are susceptible to the 'insulinotrophic' action of whey–a tripling of insulin output by the pancreas, a situation that stalls weight loss. The solution: Avoid all dairy when trying to lose weight."

Here's the entire entry:

http://www.wheatbellyblog.com/2012/10/i-lost-the-wheat-but-didnt-lose-weight-2/

I wonder if egg white protein might be a good substitute?

Neicee

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 26, 2013, 10:53:22 AM »
No wheat/grains/corn/some rice now and then/and have limited myself to a 1/2 russet potato a week/no sugar or manufactured juice.  I've been trying the aloe vera juice (that's the hot ticket of the moment) and find it's very refreshing over ice with either a twist of lime or lemon.  Love to take the frozen berry combinations and pour whipping cream over it, which to me is as good as ice cream.  A little truvia or stevia can be added but not necessary.  About the only time I consume fruit these days.

I'm a recovering sugarholic.  Now a year and 5 months since the last time I ate sugar.

Jan in Key West

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 26, 2013, 12:17:26 PM »
Is this Jan K. From Elizabeth St.???

Louise

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 10, 2013, 01:46:52 PM »
Hi... I am new to being on a blog :) ... does anyone have any experience with kefir or yogurt?  I just realized that the whey protein I am using is causing me some higher insulin readings than I would like so I am looking for a replacement.  Louise

Janknitz

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 10, 2013, 02:52:43 PM »
Choose full fat kefir and yogurt without added sugars and starches and you'll be fine. Your dairy products should contain milk/cream and cultures only.

LibbyMe

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 10, 2013, 04:42:45 PM »
Garden of Life has a protein powder called Raw Protein.  I had a sample of it this past week for my smoothie of blueberries, kale, carrots, spinach, regular yogurt---I've been using diet pomegranate juice but am switching over to coconut water as it should be better for me.  There is also a protein powder that's a vegan rice-powder.  NOT sure if this is considered "legal".  I won't do any of the whey ones as they sound nasty to me.
I'm doing pretty much with Dr. Davis tells us to in the book...eliminate ALL grains, though infrequently I will have basmati rice (a small amount) with my dinner.  I'm sure he'd say "no!"!!!  Once in a great while I'll get some kind of gluten (this is "if" we've eaten out) and boy does my gut let me know after!!!  NOT worth it.  I won't go paleo but will use some of their products ie. their bread.  I want my butter, which I use minimally and my hard cheese and the yogurt!!!

Barbara from New Jersey

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 10, 2013, 07:19:54 PM »
The rice and beans and root veggies are OK to eat in very small portions - about 1/4 - 1/2 cup as part of a larger meal because of their high glycemic value.  This is occasionally, not every day. 

Also, not everyone is troubled by dairy products.  I find that the cheese, butter, creams, fermented kefir and yogurt all make it very easy and tasty to stay on WB.  Who can resist fresh mozzarella, Jersey tomato and fresh basil drizzled with olive oil ?
Most of these items are started with a fermented culture which is a big plus.  If affordable, organic, grass fed and pastured products really does make a difference in the taste and most probably in absorbable nutritional values. 

I am also a big fan of bulletproof coffee in the morning!  It took me about 5 months of WB to even consider trying this and when I did, it didn't taste very good to me.  Now, 3 months later, I really like it!  Lots of energy, less fatigue and a comfortable feeling of hunger being satisfied. 

gunsmith

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 12, 2013, 07:35:43 AM »

I am also a big fan of bulletproof coffee in the morning!  It took me about 5 months of WB to even consider trying this and when I did, it didn't taste very good to me.  Now, 3 months later, I really like it!  Lots of energy, less fatigue and a comfortable feeling of hunger being satisfied.

what is bulletproof coffee?

I drink a lot of coffee now that I no longer have heartburn ( black W/stevia )

my other dietary changes are more veggies, limiting fruit to one or two handfuls a day, no fructose/corn syrup...all the stuff that WB blog said in the "quick/dirty" post on the wbblog ...

I have started taking protein powder, really like egg protein powder - currently using paleo protein powder becuse it was free.
I've really gotten stronger, I was 180 pounds in March and have gone as low as 150, now at 153 but I suspect I am gaining muscle because I couldn't do chin up before and now can do ten.
Been lifting weights too.

I may try to go ketogenic next month, and drop all cheese and other dairy like the plain yogurt in an attempt to lose more weight, I still have a belly and I want to lose it - in 1978 I was 140 pounds and after I got out of the army I was 120 ...I want to be skinny again but also strong. My goal is to be able to do 20 or more pull ups.

HungryinTN

« Reply #23 on: August 12, 2013, 08:44:28 AM »
http://www.bulletproofexec.com/category/coffee-2/

I make my BP coffee with the highest grade coffee I can find locally, rather than order the "official" Upgraded Coffee, and so far so good.  I've had bad reactions to coffee before drinking regular grocery store brands or Starbucks.  I can definitely tell the difference drinking the better (more expensive) organic stuff.  But it's generally all I have until some time around noon or later, and I never feel tired, and rarely get hungry before midday.  No jitters, no upset tummy.  Just good, clean-burning energy that keeps me happy and focused. 

Barbara from New Jersey

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 12, 2013, 01:34:51 PM »
Hungry,

i keep hearing that the organic coffee is really worth the extraordinary price.  Did you change to organic before making bulletproof
coffee?  Are you sure that it is the coffee itself rather than the MCT additives and butter that is making the difference? 

HungryinTN

« Reply #25 on: August 12, 2013, 04:55:42 PM »
I can tell a difference when I drink the coffee just by itself, which I do sometimes if I'm in a hurry or in the afternoon if I want a boost to get through a boring meeting.  I don't feel AS good as I do normally with the added fat, but I feel better than I used to when I would hit the Starbucks or drink whatever generic coffee my boyfriend keeps around.  I never drank coffee before because it always made me feel terrible.  But I definitely feel better with the higher grade stuff. 

Barbara from New Jersey

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 12, 2013, 05:07:28 PM »
Thanks.  Appreciate your comments. 

Jan in Key West

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 12, 2013, 06:53:33 PM »
As strange as it sounds...I drink coconut oil.....I can drink cayenne pepper.....I can drink almost anything but I CANNOT drink coffee with oil and butter lolling on top! Color me strange!

HungryinTN

« Reply #28 on: August 12, 2013, 10:17:09 PM »
If it isn't well blended it's not very good.  I was able to choke it down for a couple of weeks before I broke down and bought a hand-held immersion blender.  It made a WORLD of difference, and has also helped me make a vast improvement in the texture of my "mashed" cauliflower (a friend insists I should be calling it whipped if I use a blender on it...). 

Barbara from New Jersey

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 13, 2013, 05:00:35 AM »
When you use the immersion blender or even a small whisk, you are incorporating the coconut and mct oil and butter (now melted) into the coffee.  You can brew a hot tea instead of coffee.  The result of the blending is a thicker drink, almost like a thin smoothie.  I use equal amounts of each.

I realize now that my first attempt months ago was not successful because I just stirred rather then "emulsified" the coconut oil.
I did not have mct oil then, nor organic pastured butter.  I wasn't enthusiastic enough and the oil separated and left a film on the top.  Yuk!  I added the organic butter and mct oil as time went on.  I like it better with all three. 

Now I use my largest mug and the immersion blender.  I also use whole milk like I always have.  The result is a thick and creamy
coffee.  It is delicious with hot teas too. I have been adding a shake or two of cinnamon and sometimes cocoa powder.  Or using hot chai tea as the base.  Heavenly. 

Jan in Key West

• View Profile
« Reply #30 on: August 13, 2013, 07:24:29 AM »
I'll try this but first need to get an immersion blender....will have to google it, never heard of them! :)

Barbara from New Jersey

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 13, 2013, 07:47:03 AM »
Jan,

This is a terrific tool.  You can find them for about $15 in discount stores or on sale in department stores.  Any good kitchen store will carry them.  Many have added containers for different uses, with an ever increasing price. 

I use mine to whip up egg whites, puree anything including soups, mix eggs, make custards, smoothies and the bulletproof coffee or chai tea.  Whipped cream in a flash.

This gadget is electric and an indispensable tool in my opinion.  I rarely use my blender any more since this tool is so easy to use and clean.  Light weight. Salad dressings, mayo and other items needing an emulsion are easy and fast.  No lugging out my food processor or blender for quick mixings.  Even better than the old fashioned egg beater!

I used to only make soups and broths that needed minimal straining.  Using the hand held blender, I can skip that messy step and puree right in the pot.  Only when I want a clear soup like chicken soup, do I strain.  For almost all other soups or even gravies, ice creams,etc. I use this.  Does a better job than a whisk most of the time.

« Last Edit: October 13, 2013, 03:52:40 PM by Barbara from New Jersey »

Jan in Key West

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 13, 2013, 07:48:56 AM »
I just saw a few different ones on Amazon.....it sure would be easier than my Ninja!

Barbara from New Jersey

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 13, 2013, 08:03:17 AM »
YES!

And don't forget about using it for the mashed cauliflower crust, butternut squash dishes, and the like. 

The more I make WB and paleo type recipes, the more I am using this stick instead of the blender and food processor.
Especially good for your every day meals.  It makes cleanup quick and easy. 
« Last Edit: October 13, 2013, 03:51:31 PM by Barbara from New Jersey »

HungryinTN

« Reply #34 on: August 13, 2013, 08:04:13 AM »
I got mine at Costco for twenty bucks and it came with a blending cup and a whisk attachment.  Fantastic investment!

arlin

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 13, 2013, 09:46:58 AM »
I love my immersion blender. It came with two sizes of cups. One tall, and one smaller one with a mini food processor attachment. I'm sure as time goes by I'll find many more uses for it than just BPC.

Actually, I see a list of "many more uses" in the posts above.   :D Thanks for all those tips on what to use this for.

I also have a wonderful food processor and a Ninja blender. I use them all!! I'm having so much fun cooking these days and it's great having the right tools for the things I'm making. I never enjoyed cooking in the past nearly as much as I do now. :)

Janknitz

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 14, 2013, 01:41:49 PM »
I have an immersion blender, but even that is too much trouble for BPC.  I bought a cheap battery-operated frother at Ikea (and recently replaced it with one from Cost Plus after 2 years of service) for $2.99.  It does a fine job emulsifying the fat into the coffee to give it a pleasant foam instead of oil slick on top.  No need to spend a lot of money. 

Linda R

« Reply #37 on: August 25, 2013, 08:08:19 AM »
Well, I received my very inexpensive frother from ebay this week-end, just $2.99 plus .99 for shipping. It is probably the same item available at Ikea.

Was not impressed. I will stick with my Cuisinart Immersion Blender.
Perhaps because I put both a tablespoon of coconut oil and unsalted butter [cold] into my coffee in the AM, it just takes more power to combine them thoroughly? The Blender does that, less than 30 seconds, with a deep frothy layer on top.

« Last Edit: August 25, 2013, 08:16:03 AM by Linda R »

Barbara from New Jersey

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 25, 2013, 09:11:56 AM »
Hi Linda,

I let the coco oil and the butter melt and then add milk and then use the frother.  It doesn't have enough power to break up the cold butter and coconut "solid".  Mine gets a nice frothy top, like cafe creme and the fast/oil is emulsified in the coffee.  This makes the coffee taste "thicker".  I also tried this with heavy cream in a hot chocolate drink.  Worked well. The drink was thick and creamy.

I also found my son's long hidden glass beer mug.  It holds about 16 oz. and has a handle.  I have been using that for the  8 oz bulletproof coffee or tea concoctions.  No chance of swirl mess!   Who da' thunk it?!!!

It also works great to emulsify small amounts of salad dressings of there aren't any spice leaves or seeds which might get caught in the bottom spring like swirler and make it hard to clean. 
« Last Edit: October 13, 2013, 03:50:47 PM by Barbara from New Jersey »

VibeRadiant

« Reply #39 on: October 13, 2013, 03:48:28 PM »
We dropped wheat plus all grains and sugar as Dr. Davis advises. Since my weight loss has stalled I am thinking about dropping dairy. If I understand this correctly the whey in dairy could be stalling my weight loss.  I guess only way to find out is to stop eating dairy.  I have also started exercising again.

Have you considered switching to goats milk, yogurts and cheeses?

VibeRadiant

« Reply #40 on: October 13, 2013, 03:53:22 PM »
I'll try this but first need to get an immersion blender....will have to google it, never heard of them! :)

A milk frother will work as well, and much cheaper.

Wheat Free Forum

« Reply #40 on: October 13, 2013, 03:53:22 PM »

Sponsored Links