This forum is created by people who follow the Wheat Belly Diet, as a place to communicate with each other about various topics. Please note that this site is a user created site, and not one of Dr. Davis' sites.

Author Topic: Supermarket chicken  (Read 3898 times)

Linda R

Supermarket chicken
« on: August 13, 2013, 08:33:00 AM »
I quit buying them quite awhile ago. The more I read articles like this, the less enticing are those rotisserie birds "calling" me when I walk into the meat section.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2388444/How-drugs-pumped-supermarket-chickens-pose-terrifying-threat-health.html

Barbara from New Jersey

• View Profile
Re: Supermarket chicken
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2013, 09:52:39 AM »
Linda,

Years ago, when Boston Chicken first started, I would get "sick" from eating it.  The chickens were raised to be "tasty" and "specially spiced for flavor".  No one ever knew what that meant. My family loved them! Thought I was nuts! Fast forward to now, with rotisserie chickens sold in nearly every store around here, the ingredient list is frightful just for the seasonings.  Chickens born to unhealthy mothers can't be healthy to eat.  Chickens born with antibiotics in their system are even unhealthier.  No wonder they don't have any taste! Ditto for eggs.

We have already discussed making bone broth by slow cooking to release the nutrients and collagen.  I used a supermarket chicken I had on hand for this.  The flavor was mediocre and collagen was minimal.  My thoughts were: what could I expect from a drugged, unhealthy, factory raised chicken?  I have made chicken stock for years!  I was wondering why I needed to keep adding more and more veggies to make the broth taste the way I was used to having it taste.

This article just makes me sick to think that yet another "clever" way for more profitability is used without a care for the consumer. Like wheat. Like HFCS. Like soy, and so on.  The more toxic our mainstream food supply becomes, the sicker our citizens become. 

Thank you for posting this.  If this is happening in the UK, it is happening here.  :'(

« Last Edit: August 13, 2013, 12:40:47 PM by Barbara from New Jersey »

Linda R

« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2013, 11:24:33 AM »
Linda,

Thank you for posting this.  If this is happening in the UK, it is happening here.  :'(

I am sure it is. When you consider the billions of pounds of chicken consumed everyday at KFC and all of the other restaurants and fast food joints in America, they are going to do whatever it takes to increase the production.

I also learned that humane poultry laws in this country are the worst. Turkeys and chicken are really treated like hell here.

I have found a producer just a couple of miles south of my house. Bought a whole chix from them just last month. They are not cheap, but I know where that chicken came from and I know it had a happy life, outside, in the sun, chasing bugs, and doing all those things expected of a chicken.

Jan in Key West

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2013, 11:38:30 AM »
I remember back in the mid to late 70's (this dates me!) 60 minutes had a program about commercially raised chickens.....it was so gross I didn't eat chicken for years, until they came out with the pastured/organic ones....and that wasn't that long ago!

Barbara from New Jersey

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2013, 01:06:19 PM »
Just in case someone reading these comments doesn't understand the big difference in flavor and nutrition of "happy, healthy, naturally raised and fed" chickens,  I would liken this to the young born to any species that is maltreated, fed poorly, undernourished, little capacity for exercise or normal movement and given artificial drugs/antibiotics.  The young don't thrive or meet normal milestones.  A sick mother gives birth to sickly offspring, in the wild, in zoos and in food factories. 

I remember the flak about veal and didn't eat it for years. The only reason I ate chicken after that 60 minutes episode was that a friend of a friend worked for Perdue and insisted that their chickens were raised humanely and fed properly.  Frank Perdue had a major advertising campaign about his flock.  Oh, the age of innocence!

« Last Edit: August 13, 2013, 03:01:36 PM by Barbara from New Jersey »

HungryinTN

« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2013, 01:41:48 PM »
I remember back in the mid to late 70's (this dates me!) 60 minutes had a program about commercially raised chickens.....it was so gross I didn't eat chicken for years, until they came out with the pastured/organic ones....and that wasn't that long ago!

I believe that program was what finally turned my mother off of meat forever.  And there is nothing I can do to convince her that the alternative, grass-fed meat is a completely different animal (no pun intended).  She has it in her head that humans are not meant to eat meat, and because it's been programmed in for so long, it doesn't matter how much her diet is destroying her health.  All she sees in her head are the poor mistreated chickens and our ancestors living exclusively on nuts and berries. 

Jan in Key West

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2013, 04:41:10 PM »
Yes, I often visit the farm where we get our meat, chicken, eggs etc.....and they all appear happy, healthy and thriving!

Barbara from New Jersey

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2013, 05:35:31 PM »
Hungry,

Did your Mom ever read The Jungle by Upton Sinclair?  1900? 1906? expose of the meat packing industry.  It was so graphic and compelling that Congress passed many laws requiring minimal standards.  The public outcry was enormous and nothing the industry titans could do would stop the laws from being passed.  If you have time, read the short book.....better yet, don't read it because it will make you sick. 

This was required reading when i was in high school.  I barely ate meat for years afterwards.

HungryinTN

« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2013, 06:11:38 PM »
It was required reading for us too, and I imagine my mother as well.  I think I first read it around eighth grade.  It was very formative for me in understanding why we were vegetarians.  But I don't think that was her immediate inspiration. 

Loanne

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2013, 12:40:14 PM »
I read The Jungle when I was in high school.  That book is one of the reasons I have such empathy for our food animals.  It was horrible to read, but required for my English class at that time.  I always buy pasture-raised beef and chicken now (since last November anyway). 

Am trying to get up the nerve to try the bone broth thing again. First time I made it, it tasted horrible...well, had NO taste.  I dumped it.  But I have an old crockpot (from the 70s) and was thinking of using that, although it's not really big enough. 

Barbara from New Jersey

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 14, 2013, 12:49:38 PM »
Add lots of coarsely chopped onions, carrots, parsnip (for chicken soup!), turnip, celery and bay leaf.  Salt and peppercorns too.
This will flavor your broth.  I throw any wilted veggies into a bag and freeze it for use in stock.  Add them day 2 or so.  Strain!
Salt at the end so that if you have evaporation, the broth isn't too salty. 

My personal preference is a flavorful broth which is good alone or creates a wonderful, concentrated soup base. 

Jan in Key West

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 14, 2013, 02:34:13 PM »
Loanne....my experience is that bone broth doesn't have a strong flavor....on the other hand, when I make a beef broth (a 3 to 6 hr. process)  I use bones with meat on them and that produces a stronger beef flavor....but when doing various bones for bone broth....cartilage, knuckles etc., the flavor is quite benign but that doesn't detract from it's medicinal qualities. Give it another go!

Wheat Free Forum

« Reply #11 on: August 14, 2013, 02:34:13 PM »

Sponsored Links