This forum is created by people who follow the Wheat Belly Diet, as a place to communicate with each other about various topics. Please note that this site is a user created site, and not one of Dr. Davis' sites.

Author Topic: I broke through the wall!!!  (Read 5605 times)

HungryinTN

I broke through the wall!!!
« on: August 15, 2013, 11:56:12 AM »
I know a lot of people think it's silly the way that I weigh myself all the time, but I find it far more motivating than disappointing, and today at lunch (after a couple of good trips to the bathroom) I just decided to hop on the scale while I was waiting for the oven to preheat, and lo and behold it said 199!!!  I hit 200 in late 2011 (after getting down to 160 a few months before) and had been gaining ever since until I discovered wheat-free living.  I started eight weeks ago today at 219.2.  A lot of it came of pretty much right away as my body.  I guess my body eliminated a lot of toxins that were living inside of me (in my fat cells, maybe?  Liver?  Who knows) during the initial phase and now it's slowed down because I'm really just dropping the fat. Now I just eat the things I love, minus the things that were killing me, and voila!  I feel like a whole new person.  Not to be redundant, because I feel like I've talked about it a million times on here, but just an off-the-top-of-my-head list of positive changes to my health:
-Joint pain almost completely gone (I dreaded even stepping off of a curb because my knees hurt so badly)
-IBS and it's buddy hemorrhoid GONE
-Improved breathing
-Reduced bladder urgency
-Reduce anxiety
-Improved mood and mental clarity
-No more ADHD meds
-Better sleep (I've been an insomniac since I was six, so this is HUGE)
-No more constant burping (except when I drink alcohol...)
-I quit smoking without even trying (I was never a heavy smoker anyway, just a social smoker. Every time I thought I might want one, I thought about how much better I was feeling now that I'm taking better care of myself and it suddenly just didn't seem worth it)
-I JUST FEEL BETTER!  I feel my age, in a good way.  I feel 30 instead of 60.   

I have a long journey ahead of me still (about sixty pounds), but just waking up happy every day and knowing that I am heading in the right direction is enough for now.  If only the new lifestyle could cure foot-in-mouth syndrome, I'd have it made!

Lynda (Fl)

• Wheat-free for 4 years
    • View Profile
Re: I broke through the wall!!!
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2013, 01:50:41 PM »
Those are fantastic accomplishments.  To be able to say I JUST FEEL BETTER is the biggest thing of all.  And to get off your ADHD meds: surreal.  Keep it up, you're on your way to even better things ahead.

Linda R

« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2013, 02:46:56 PM »
Those are fantastic accomplishments.  To be able to say I JUST FEEL BETTER is the biggest thing of all.  And to get off your ADHD meds: surreal.  Keep it up, you're on your way to even better things ahead.

I second your comments and add............................
Congrats on quitting smoking!!!! :) :) :) :)
Awesome!
I quit 8 years ago, smartest thing I've ever done!
You go girl!

Jan in Key West

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2013, 02:47:14 PM »
Hungry....there is nothing silly about restoring your emotional, mental and physical health! Congratulations to you! And BTW, I'm 61 and feel like I'm 30 too....... 8)

Rita

• Administrator
  • A student of nutrition
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2013, 02:52:10 PM »
Woo Hoo!!!  Congrats!

arlin

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2013, 03:55:45 PM »
Nothing you're doing is "silly" and I think we all love reading the success stories, no matter how large or small the success might be at any given posting. Any progress is huge to me and reading the good things that are happening to others gives me hope. So I read and celebrate each success along with the poster. I hope you just get better and better and better!!

scrupulousgirl

« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2013, 05:07:30 PM »
WOOOOOOOOOOOOOO HOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!

CONGRATULATIONS for getting to ONEderland! I'm so excited for you and just keep doing what you're doing. ONEderland is a great place to be and I'm celebrating your success with you!

:) :) :) :) :) :)

LibbyMe

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2013, 05:26:13 PM »
Whoot for you too!  I'm looking forward to Onederland!!!  I haven't seen that for ????===cannot tell you when---in the 90's maybe??  I love hearing stories like yours as it keeps me encouraged with my journey!!

christy

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2013, 10:33:46 PM »
You have done so well with so many improvements in health.  Have you been sticking to the diet completely, not using potatoes or corn like tostados?  What does your daily menu include? 

Barbara from New Jersey

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2013, 05:22:06 AM »
Hungry,

Wonderful!!!  What a great future you are creating for yourself!  Think of how far along this road to wellness you will be tomorrow,
next week, next month, next year.........    :D
« Last Edit: August 16, 2013, 06:45:01 AM by Barbara from New Jersey »

HungryinTN

« Reply #10 on: August 16, 2013, 06:23:00 AM »
You have done so well with so many improvements in health.  Have you been sticking to the diet completely, not using potatoes or corn like tostados?  What does your daily menu include?

My daily diet does not include corn or potatoes, but occasionally I will eat them as "cheats" and to keep a little smidge of variety, but knowing full well that when I do I will slow my weight loss down by at least half a week.  I start every day with Bulletproof coffee ([size=78%]http://www.bulletproofexec.com/category/coffee-2/[/size]) and don't usually  eat any solid food until after noon.  Then I'll have some eggs or raw yogurt.  I have dinner before 8PM and it usually consists of fish and vegetables.  Sometimes I'll snack on some seed crackers and cheese, but mostly I don't snack anymore.  About three days a week I incorporate sweet potatoes.  In addition, I take vitamins D and K in the morning and magnesium at night, plus detox tea for liver support.  Once or twice a week I'll lift some weights, and I take evening walks with my boyfriend, mainly for the stress relief.  One of the best things I've learned is that the "chronic cardio" I used to do to burn calories was actually sabotaging my weight loss.  Now the exercise I do is just to use my body, not to shape it. 

Teresa

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 16, 2013, 11:13:11 AM »
That's super awesome!  I'm so happy you're seeing positive results and feeling so much better, especially dropping the meds.  That was a totally unexpected thing for me (anxiety meds).  I thought I'd be on those things for the rest of my life, but now I am cool as a cucumber about 95% of the time and the other 5% is completely manageable without medication.  It's amazing how something as simple as changing your diet can have so many positive effects.  I wish more people believed it, just for 30 days.  It would be a health revolution!  The Rx companies would HATE it!  :D
~Teresa

aspexil

• Went wheat free end of Feb 2013
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 10, 2013, 09:59:38 AM »
That's super awesome!  I'm so happy you're seeing positive results and feeling so much better, especially dropping the meds.  That was a totally unexpected thing for me (anxiety meds).  I thought I'd be on those things for the rest of my life, but now I am cool as a cucumber about 95% of the time and the other 5% is completely manageable without medication.  It's amazing how something as simple as changing your diet can have so many positive effects.  I wish more people believed it, just for 30 days.  It would be a health revolution!  The Rx companies would HATE it!  :D

As people see me making progress they are coming around.  I know for a fact one of my neighbors has gone wheat free after I lost 6" in 4 months (I have a lot to lose).  From there this should snow ball.  As more and more people start they'll set the example that others will see that wheat free actually does work.  Wheat free has to be done by example.  For myself, I so didn't believe Dr Davis and the fact that wheat was my problem it took me four months before I finally committed.  And the only reason I committed was because the low sodium diet didn't do anything for my triglycerides.  On my 6th week wheat free I had scheduled blood work and my numbers dropped from 196 to 139!  I was stunned but immensely pleased wheat free worked.  Triglycerides are now down to 113 and not due for another blood draw until Feb. 

As a side note I am only doing wheat free and whole foods.  I did not substitute bread, pasta, muffins or pizza with anything.  Just cut them out.  No processed foods and if I do buy something in a package (i.e. bacon, dark chocolate) I thoroughly examine the ingredients for wheat.  I do eat, typically not more than once a week if at all, corn, rice and potatoes.  Carbs for me on most days are under 50 but sometimes I do get to the 100 mark every once in a while (i.e dark chocolate snack). 

I only weigh myself once a month, if not longer.  I can't deal with the stall/up/down frustrations even with weekly weigh ins. 

Barbara from New Jersey

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 10, 2013, 10:23:27 AM »
All of you are writing in about so many wonderful changes in your lives since giving up grains and sugar!  Makes me happy just to read these comments.  Lovely to be in an upwards health spiral isn't it?

I have found this to be true for me too!  Just yesterday, the women in my yoga class were remarking about how flexible I am in the yoga positions.  They only want to believe that it is because of my 15 years of classes.  They do not want to hear about my no grain no sugar diet!  I figure they will ask me if they wanted to learn more.  I refer them to the WB blog, this blog and of course, the book. 

aspexil

• Went wheat free end of Feb 2013
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 10, 2013, 11:47:27 AM »
All of you are writing in about so many wonderful changes in your lives since giving up grains and sugar!  Makes me happy just to read these comments.  Lovely to be in an upwards health spiral isn't it?

I have found this to be true for me too!  Just yesterday, the women in my yoga class were remarking about how flexible I am in the yoga positions.  They only want to believe that it is because of my 15 years of classes.  They do not want to hear about my no grain no sugar diet!  I figure they will ask me if they wanted to learn more.  I refer them to the WB blog, this blog and of course, the book.

And in a spiral that goes against the grain LOL

Wheat Free Forum

« Reply #14 on: September 10, 2013, 11:47:27 AM »

Sponsored Links