This forum is created by people who follow the Wheat Belly Diet, as a place to communicate with each other about various topics. Please note that this site is a user created site, and not one of Dr. Davis' sites.

Author Topic: Toenail fungus  (Read 8973 times)

bill

• View Profile
Toenail fungus
« on: August 22, 2013, 10:51:22 PM »

Don't mean to just post any old malady, andmaybe this doesn't have any connection to WB
but I have a mild? case of toenail fungus.

Would appreciate any helpful hints.

Barbara from New Jersey

• View Profile
Re: Toenail fungus
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2013, 03:41:21 AM »
Hi Bill,

Toenail fungus is often a result of candida overgrowth in the intestines.  By taking probiotics (35+ bill.) and up, combined with MCT oils (like in bullet proof coffee) you help heal this because you are healing your intestines and not feeding the candida with sugar or wheat/yeast/starch.  You need to take the multi strain probiotics until the fungus clears up which can take months and months.

Less circulation in the foot and a diminished immune system allows the fungal growth to become established.  Taking antibiotics and steroids seems to encourage the growth because they stress the immune system and intestinal bacteria.  This is the "end" result of the imbalance in your system.

It is important to keep the foot dry and "aired".  If you can't wear sandals in the summer, then try walking around barefoot at home.  Try to keep your feet as cool as possible and wear shoes and absorbent socks that aren't tight and hopefully air can circulate. 

Tree Tea Oil or Apple cider vinegar applications,  epsom salt soaks are among numerous home remedies.  These treatments have to be done daily for several weeks until the fungus goes away.  Google some of the internet sites for other home cures.

Sometimes you have to go to a podiatrist to have your toe nails cut if the infection is bad.

The fungus, while unsightly, usually does not spread to others in your household since it most probably caused by your internal intestinal imbalance.  Prescription meds don't work very well and doctors know that and do not like to prescribe them since they are expensive and hard on your system with marginal results.

My Dad had this for years and it got better only when he took probiotics and stopped eating cakes and cookies which he craved.  We didn't know about wheat/grains then.  Open heart surgeries, kidney dialysis etc. kept making the condition worse as time went on and his health was declining.  This is why I know about the pesky fungus.

In my opinion, the best thing you can do now that you are grain and sugar free, is to take a strong probiotic.  You may have to work your way up to dose if it gives you cramps or loose stools.  The oils like olive, coconut and MCT oil are good to use when preparing your food. 

« Last Edit: August 23, 2013, 05:03:01 AM by Barbara from New Jersey »

arlin

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2013, 08:18:31 AM »
Bill~My husband has the same problem. He's been wheat/grain free for nearly five months now and the condition is definitely improving. It just takes time like Barbara said. He also takes a probiotic and rarely ever eats sugar anymore. He's not diabetic like I am so he hasn't worried quite as much about getting a little sugar once in awhile but has cut his consumption by probably 90%. It would probably heal even faster if he'd let go of it altogether. But there's hope. Just keep your food clean and grain/sugar free and you should see good results in time.

bill

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2013, 08:44:13 AM »
Barbara and Arlin:

Thanks for the responses. 

I have been wheat and sugar free for over 2 years.  
Haven't been wheated very often over that time.
Very strict LCHF.

I eat lots of coconut oil and some yogurt.

I will get some probiotic.

I walk around at home with flip flops on.

I have looked at the Google for ideas, another
of which is Vics Vapo Rub.

Probably came from my many diet unrelated
maladies over the past 3 or 4 years, with
consequent medications/surgeries.

Not disgusting yet, but I'd really like to put
an end to it.

Thanks again.

arlin

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2013, 09:03:57 AM »
Well, it doesn't sound like it came from anything diet related then! A few mishaps here and there over a long period of time shouldn't bring that on. Hmm. I would suppose then that the culprit would be meds/surgeries. I hope it reverses soon. I know dh hates the way it looks. Just makes him feel "icky"

Lynda (Fl)

• Wheat-free for 4 years
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2013, 09:29:23 AM »
Thanks for asking this question for us, Bill.  I've come down with this problem too and never thought of 'diet' to be connected before.  I'm going to try the probiotics long term.  It has lightened in color, so there's hope!  I understand Vit D helps and I take alot of that, which has done wonders in other areas.  I'm planning to try some of the great suggestions here, along with my drs 'nail paint'.  Thanks everyone.  This just proves 'there are no dumb questions', just ones you don't have an answer to yet. :) 

Lila

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2013, 09:42:49 AM »
I had one for years--very gross.  Tried everything over the counter. Vicks.
, tea tree oil, over the counter topical fungicides.  Nothing worked.  Finally told my dermatologist I wanted Lamisil.  Not a natural remedy and is hard on the liver.  Got results though and am in sandals this summer, which I have t done in 6 yrs.  If you find a natural remedy that works for you be sure to get new shoes so you don't reinfect.

deanna in AR

• WF Sept. 2011
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2013, 10:19:01 AM »
DH tried Vicks for awhile. When he didn't see results in probably a couple of months, he stopped it.

Loanne

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2013, 10:59:46 AM »
Barbara (from NJ)--can you be more specific about WHICH probiotic to get? And how many units?  I know Dr. Davis mentioned it once, but I, too, have one toe that's got this fungus thing.

Suzhookem

• Wheat Free April 2012
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2013, 11:41:31 AM »
I have suffered with candida for years, but it never showed up on my toenail. It's nothing to mess around with as it attacks your endocrine system and will play havoc with your life. Finally once I cut my carbs as far as I could and took an amount of rectified turpentine recommended by my holistic MD have I had any luck.  I also take many tablespoons of coconut oil and flax oil every day. Good luck Bill. Listen to what the ladies said ~ be diligent. You can conquer candida. When I was still in my nightmare stage of trying to find a Dr mine, at the time, gave me huge doses of Cipro and Diflucan. Talk about an idiot! Of course I took them so I'm wondering if I was the idiot!

Barbara from New Jersey

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 23, 2013, 12:18:35 PM »
Bill,

You've got the right idea about the source of your fungus.  Meds and the stresses of surgeries seems to give the fungus a chance to start.  Think of the fungus as an opportune overgrowth.
The 50 billion cfu probiotics are very good.  Your health food store will have it in the refrigerated display.  I think the name is Ultimate Flora, but there are many good quality ones in the higher dosages.  Everyone is different, but the older you are , the more compromised your health and the condition of your intestinal tract will dictate just how long you will need to take this.
It could be months and months for your flora to normalize and your intestines to repair itself from the grain and sugar abuse since your birth.  Vitamin D3 and B vitamins are also good.

Diminished blood circulation in the foot also encourages the fungus.  Eating your "clean" food is helping to keep the fungus from spreading.  This will work synergistically with the probiotic. If you have problems taking the 50 billion cfu, then take it every other day until you don't have any problems.  You can start with a 25 billion cfu and work yourself up to 50 or even 100 billion cfu daily dose.  No set rule.  Your body will tell you if it needs more time to adapt to healthy flora or if it wants more (you feel great)!
« Last Edit: August 24, 2013, 03:05:24 AM by Barbara from New Jersey »

Loanne

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 23, 2013, 12:51:38 PM »
Never mind my question about the specific probiotic.  I found it under another heading.  Thanks!

Bob Niland (Boundless)

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 23, 2013, 05:27:42 PM »
Tea tree oil (extract of the leaves of Melaleuca alternifolia) often works in this application.

You do need to select an  ISO 4730 (2004) topical grade (not an aromatherapy grade).

I estimate that 1 or 2% of the population are allergic to it (contact dermatitis), and another 2% will develop an allergy from extended use (such as used as a deodorant).

I developed an allergy, but don't hesitate to use it on wounds, and wouldn't hesitate to use it on fungus.

Jan in Key West

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 31, 2013, 10:11:27 AM »
« Last Edit: August 31, 2013, 02:55:09 PM by Rita »

Wheat Free Forum

« Reply #13 on: August 31, 2013, 10:11:27 AM »

Sponsored Links