This forum is created by people who follow the Wheat Belly Diet, as a place to communicate with each other about various topics. Please note that this site is a user created site, and not one of Dr. Davis' sites.

Author Topic: Suggestions most welcome  (Read 4384 times)

Mistyblue

• View Profile
Suggestions most welcome
« on: August 25, 2013, 05:20:12 AM »
I'm wondering if anyone would have suggestions
for a WF menu for a 24 yr old young man
living away from home? That would be my son
who is experiencing numerous issues( I'm
sure) made so much worse by wheat.
He eats 3 - 4 slices of toast for breakfast,
never feels full.He is  experiencing depression,
because of the recent loss of his dad and
dog. I feel that if he could get rid of the wheat
it would be a great start. Any suggestions
would be much appreciated! Thanks.

Barbara from New Jersey

• View Profile
Re: Suggestions most welcome
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2013, 05:49:12 AM »
Make sure he has a sharp knife, an immersion blender and give him the names of the many paleo recipes cites mentioned. 
Then, SUGGEST that he MIGHT try eating bacon and eggs for breakfast for a start.  It would be good if he would check the labels on his foods like ketchup and barbecue sauce for high fructose corn syrup and wheat or "flavorings".   Oilive oil, butter and coconut oil are his friends.  He might be interested in making a meatza which is using hamburger as the crust.  Recipes suggestions and techniques are on line.  There are wheat free beers available and he should drink those.  Smoothies with grain free protein powder, veggies and fruit are also easy to make meals.  He doesn't need a juicer, just the immersion blender.

Loosing your Dad and your dog at the same time is difficult and he needs time to adjust and anchor himself.  ]Try to explain to him that the wheat is only causing a worse mourning period and he would feel a lot better if he actually didn't consume any wheat for a while.  Whatever you do, don't press him too hard.  While he needs to grieve, he also needs to keep himself from getting sick.  Dr. D's "Quick and Dirty" list of acceptable foods is helpful.  He might even feel somewhat special by jumping on this way of eating.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2013, 05:56:51 AM by Barbara from New Jersey »

Jan in Key West

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2013, 06:10:47 AM »
Misty,
I agree with Barbara, the grieving process can create emotional, physical and mental challenges and can have a huge impact on our digestive track. [size=78%]With all our discussions regarding probiotics, you might consider sending him a bottle (some good ones are mentioned in this blog). Rita posted an excellent article yesterday on the link between good gut ecology and brain function...it might be a good start. Has he read WB? It's been my experience that until someone actually reads the book, they don't 'get' the whole diet picture and will never entirely 'buy into' it. [/size]

Rita

• Administrator
  • A student of nutrition
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2013, 07:55:23 AM »
Hi might take a good multi-vitamin just incase he is missing something.

Also, here's an interesting article on probiotics:

Gut feelings: the future of psychiatry may be inside your stomachhttp://www.theverge.com/2013/8/21/4595712/gut-feelings-the-future-of-psychiatry-may-be-inside-your-stomach

bill

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2013, 11:02:39 AM »
Mistyblue:

Sorry to hear about your son's situation.
I really wish him well.

How far away from home is he?  Is he
going to school?  Does he have a support
system where he is?

I hardboil a dozen or so eggs at a time.  It's
easy to shell a few (4 usually) for breakfast, put butter
and cheese on it and stick it in the microwave.
Some people like a bit of salsa with this (not ketsup).
If you can get some HB eggs to him on a
regular basis, he will be better off. 

Tell him he can eat as much of this as he wants.
Breakfast is half the battle.

Macadamia nuts are great for any time.  Tell him
don't hold back.  Buy him several cans of them
from Costco.

Does he eat out often?  Can he be convinced
to just eat sandwich insides w/o the bread?

Explain to him that you love him and are suggesting
this to make him feel better along with being
healthier.

What are his other interests?  Sports?  Music?
Other hobbies?  They play into the food issue too.
There are paleo gyms around like CrossFit.

Best of luck.  It seems very difficult to change
other people's minds on this issue.

HungryinTN

« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2013, 02:43:39 PM »
Easy bachelor breakfast:  Beat two eggs in a microwaveable bowl, add whatever ingredients desired (cheese, diced tomato, melted butter, salt) and zap for about a minute and a half.  My ex taught me that one and I used it for years.  To make it even easier (though I wouldn't personally recommend it - but it's still an improvement over toast, I guess) use the egg-like substance that comes in a carton.  Broaching the subject with him is a totally different matter.  It hasn't been too terribly long since I was dating 24 year old guys and they are a tough crowd when it comes to healthy eating suggestions. 

I hope that he gets through everything okay.  Sounds like a very tough time!

Rita

• Administrator
  • A student of nutrition
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2013, 05:19:28 PM »
And a good strategy might be to get him to get him to add more good foods into his day.  Eventually the good stuff will crowd out the bad stuff.   In that case he won't feel like he needs to 'stop doing this or that' or 'get rid of this', etc.   

Mistyblue

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2013, 05:07:35 AM »
Thanks to you all for the great suggestions!
I talked to him about some of this and
hope some of it sticks with him.He is attending
a support group soon.

Bob Niland (Boundless)

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2013, 11:18:58 AM »
For breakfast, an easy to prepare dish is a bowl of Wheat-Free Market Foods granola with heavy cream.

At $1/day, it's probably the cheapest pre-mixed cereal that is actually healthy. I used to pay more for what I now consider to be junk.

deanna in AR

• WF Sept. 2011
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2013, 03:14:02 PM »
For breakfast, an easy to prepare dish is a bowl of Wheat-Free Market Foods granola with heavy cream.

I really love the granola. We both like it with H&H, and I like it with coconut milk also.

Janknitz

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 07, 2013, 09:43:54 PM »
Send him the book Primal Blueprint. It's easy to understand and follow, and just right for his demographic. It's primal (Paleo plus dairy) so entirely wheat free. There's a companion cookbook with easy recipes.

WFRon

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 08, 2013, 05:08:48 PM »
 Hi Mistyblue
I hope everything works out. I agree with everything the other members posted and have a few thoughts to add. I think adding some protein at the start of the day is real important, maybe some peanut butter and fruit added to his toast. Eggs and almonds are another good option.
A while back I tried a diet for gut health and I was amazed at how energetic and peppy I felt driving to work. In addition to adding protein to my breakfast I also started taking the amino acid glutamine.
Many members recommended sending him some probiotics again I think this is a good idea but remember most of these need to stay refrigerated, there is one the does not but I canít remember the name, Iím sure any health food store will know the name. 
Maybe a new diet will give his brain something to focus on, and eating healthier seems to brighten ones perspective.
Good luck.

gunsmith

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 11, 2013, 11:23:12 PM »
good luck with everything mistyblue.

Wheat Free Forum

« Reply #12 on: September 11, 2013, 11:23:12 PM »

Sponsored Links