This forum is created by people who follow the Wheat Belly Diet, as a place to communicate with each other about various topics. Please note that this site is a user created site, and not one of Dr. Davis' sites.

Author Topic: Any major dude will tell you...  (Read 3497 times)

LondonGuy333

• Mid-thirties WF SWM, SW London...
    • View Profile
Any major dude will tell you...
« on: August 29, 2013, 06:51:00 PM »
Hello WFW friends, I'm brand new to this forum and 3 weeks into 100% 'wheatlessness.' At the risk of sounding evangelical, I'm glad - profoundly so - that I made this change.

Going wheat-free may just have triggered my first ever religious experience: this 6ft 3" alpha-male readily genuflects to Dr William Davis. Thanks Bill:)

Why did I relinquish wheat? I'm a fit, mid thirty something man; pescarian, slim(ish), active and generally fit and healthy. But I knew my diet (a lazy fish-eating vegetarian, as you might put it) wasn't doing my favours; pasta, bread, cheese on toast, pastries, sandwiches from petrol stations, subway foot-longs' - supposedly healthy or benign foods that contain wheat - were having progressively unsavoury affectations. But that's par the course, right? I now know how deluded I was. And how, if it wasn't for books like Wheat Belly, and the arguments put forth, that I would have steadfastly remained so. Like so many others.

A few weeks in I'm far less hungry - you really can forget to eat! - and no longer being food-focused or next-meal orientated when on holiday (after all, were we designed as such?). From what I've read and heard, this appears to be a typical benefit. I'm less moody, too - dammit - I never really suffer from pendulous moods, at least I didn't think I did, until people around me started chiming how "calmer" I am nowadays (3 weeks in).

I am clearer in my thinking, too. I must add that in addition to reading Wheat Belly, devouring the myriad interviews and podcasts with Dr Davis and other advocates was especially helpful. "wheat belly podcast" brings up lots of interesting interviews well worth listening to. And lastly, I'm getting more attention from women without even having to work for it - something MUST be working. In fact, I'm half in mind to write the book Wheat Free Not Date Free, but I think that's a niche too far.

Lastly but not least, I'm keen to help some friends I know who work with children with behavioural disorders; I know wheat-free is effective here - does anyone have any recommended links to proven studies in this regards?

pss  Incidentally, as I type, Doctor Feelgood's No Mo Do (Dough) Yakamo is playing on Spotify; if anyone knows the song, they'll know why I think of it as calmer.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2013, 06:54:19 PM by LondonGuy333 »
Separating the wheat from the chaff...

gunsmith

• View Profile
Re: Any major dude will tell you...
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2013, 10:14:08 PM »
I ate the same way you did for years and got quite unhealthy from it - now at 53 and wheat free since March or April I have gals telling me I look like I'm late thirties/early forties and am fitter then most men my age.

HungryinTN

« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2013, 11:25:57 AM »
Great results, LondonGuy!  I, too, was a "lazy fish-eating vegetarian" before.  All of my life, as a matter of fact.  I've just recently added bone broth to my diet to start psyching myself up to start eating actual meat (only from grass-fed, local, humane sources, of course).  We'll see how that goes.  As far as the behavioral issues, there has been some work done on the link between ADHD and celiac disease, but I think most of the evidence available right now is anecdotal.  However there is LOADS of anecdotal evidence available. If you google something like "grain-free kids behavioral disorders" you'll find loads of bloggers talking about it.  I was diagnosed with ADHD at 14 and took meds off and on for years.  Most recently I went back on Adderall because I'm working on my PhD and working full time, so I have to be able to really focus to get everything done at the fast pace it needed to get done.  I haven't taken a single pill since I dropped grains and I focus even better now than I never did on Adderall (not to mention better appetite control, which I used to love about the pills as a teenager).  I wish so badly I could get my friends and relatives who are feeding their kids pastries for breakfast and then doping them up to go to school to see the light.  Hopefully your friends who work with kids are in a position to help more people make these kinds of positive changes for their children!

Helpful links: 
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21977364
http://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2011/11/02/gluten-contribute-to-adhd.aspx
http://www.bulletproofexec.com/category/family/  (Creator Dave Asprey is a relentless salesman, but his website has loads of free info, too, and his points, I believe, are valid)

aspexil

• Went wheat free end of Feb 2013
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2013, 09:35:02 AM »
The loss of hunger is absolutely unreal for me.  I used to be constantly hungry.  Now 7 months in there are days I don't eat at all and some of the time where I only have one meal (some slices of mortadella wrapped around a piece of cheese or bacon and eggs) and that is it!  Most days I eat 2 meals and think the last time I ate 3 meals was back in month #1.  I literally eat to live now where before I lived to eat!  So sad that I only figured out at age 48 that wheat is an appetite stimulant. 

VibeRadiant

« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2013, 06:11:19 AM »
Great post LondonGuy.

For anyone who wants to hear the song mentioned in LondonGuy's post, here it is; No Mo Do Yakimo

bill

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2013, 03:04:51 PM »
Dr Feelgood's No Mo Do Yakamo is
well worth a listen.  In the video it's funny
to watch the drummer lose one of his sticks.

Wheat Free Forum

« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2013, 03:04:51 PM »

Sponsored Links