This forum is created by people who follow the Wheat Belly Diet, as a place to communicate with each other about various topics. Please note that this site is a user created site, and not one of Dr. Davis' sites.

Author Topic: Gluten Free/ Dairy Free weight loss shakes  (Read 8975 times)

barb55

• View Profile
Gluten Free/ Dairy Free weight loss shakes
« on: August 31, 2013, 01:32:17 AM »
Hi everyone,

I had been having Atkins Protein shakes as a snack once a day but have just found out they could probably contain gluten :(  Does anyone know of any powders that are gluten free and dairy free that I could use instead of these?

Thanks everyone and keep up the good work, everyone sounds like they are doing a great job of going wheat free and the help and advice is greatly appreciated.

Barb

Randal

• View Profile
Re: Gluten Free/ Dairy Free weight loss shakes
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2013, 09:51:04 AM »
About three weeks ago I gave up protein shakes and bars completely. It was tough because I try to eat 7 times a day for weightlifting, and they were so convenient. But they are hella processed and were upping my carb intake.

Like you mention, a couple months ago I grabbed a couple of boxes of Atkins bars for work snacks. Just before biting into one, I realized they contained wheat. I never would have thought that Atkins bars would have that.

GNC has protein powders that are gluten free and relatively low carb. But once you take a look at the ingredients, you might want to rethink using any.

Suzhookem

• Wheat Free April 2012
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2013, 10:19:15 AM »
Jay Robb has a shake that is also low in carbs

barb55

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2013, 09:06:02 PM »
Thank you Randal and Suzhookem for the advice, I too was having the Atkins bars, I love them, but I think will give the shakes and the bars a miss altogether. If there is wheat in them it will be interesting to see how much of a difference it makes as I wasn't feeling as good as I hoped I would on wheat free.

Thanks again, will keep you all posted :)

Barb

HungryinTN

« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2013, 07:24:01 AM »
Though I generally agree with Randall that protein shakes are not to be trusted, I keep a can of Tera's Whey on hand for convenience.  Sometimes I just don't feel like eating, but I know it's going to be a long time before I have the chance again, so a quick protein drink keeps me going without making me feel like I've had to force feed myself so much.  I found the powder at Whole Foods.  They also carry a purely grass-fed version, but I've only seen it in unflavored (I have chocolate - 4 carbs per two tablespoons, and it's organic).

aspexil

• Went wheat free end of Feb 2013
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2013, 11:13:58 AM »
Have you tried Kind bars? 

barb55

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2013, 07:20:17 PM »
Thank you HungryinTN and aspexil. Living in Australia we can't always get the same brand but I will do a google search and see if they are available over here. Thanks for the advice :)

gunsmith

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2013, 10:23:13 PM »
Have you tried Kind bars?

I did, not impressed. ... I was plenty hungry and got them free - currently 120 miles from nearest source of good food.

I figured it was worth a risk to see-the small amount of "crisp rice" is messing with my stomach ... oh well.

I like Lara Bars - I cut them in half or smaller if I'm really trying to lose weight.

I love Quest Bars, yummy, good ingredients, low carb, protein ...yummy

gunsmith

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2013, 10:24:41 PM »
I have been lifting weights and doing pull-ups ... I am new to it so far from advanced but I found egg protein to be pretty good, as well as "paleo protein"

LibbyMe

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 04, 2013, 10:52:25 AM »
I use Rice Protein shake mix by NutriBiotic.  It's vegan, 80% protein...it's milk, eggs. wheat, corn, nuts free with NO preservatives.  It's gluten-free!!  Made w/o pesticides, herbicides, GMO's or PCB's.  You can get vanilla or fruit flavors too.  Total carbs are 2g., dietary fiber is 1g. and sugars are 1g. Proteins 12 g.
Does this help anyone?
When I make mine I use the Nutri-Bullet, first put in a few ice-cubes and about 2/3 c. blueberries followed by a tbsp. of flax-seed and this power.  I fill to the line with coconut water, then add about 1/2 c. plain yogurt followed by veggies of choice.  Blend and drink and it's quite yummy!  Sometimes I use this in place of my lunch.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2013, 10:59:05 AM by Rita »

Rita

• Administrator
  • A student of nutrition
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 04, 2013, 11:00:54 AM »
It's vegan, 80% protein...it's milk, eggs. wheat, corn, nuts free with NO preservatives. 

It's weird how they call it vegan when it has milk and eggs in it.

Sounds like a good shake you make though.

Randal

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 04, 2013, 08:48:23 PM »
If it's vegan, I wonder how much of the protein comes from soy...

LibbyMe

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 05, 2013, 10:14:22 AM »
It is vegan I re-read what I posted...I should have written what the container said but I used my own words!!  It says Vegan Vanilla Rice Protein does NOT contain any milk, eggs, wheat, corn, ntrs or preservatives.  The way I'm reading the label the protein comes from the Rice Protein.
I get mine from health-food stores!  Maybe Whole Foods has it...not sure!!  We don't have one here.  Up north before we moved to FL I could get mine at a grocery store that had a good "health-foods" section.

gunsmith

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 05, 2013, 07:33:03 PM »
If it's vegan, I wonder how much of the protein comes from soy...

lots of the vegan stuff at the Reno Whole Foods uses hemp protein ... I didn't get it because it had agave or something similar - I just picked up something called carnivor protein  [size=78%]http://www.vitaminshoppe.com/store/en/browse/sku_detail.jsp?id=IM-1005&sourceType=sc&source=FG&adGroup=40-60&keyword=IM-1005&cm_mmc=Google+Shopping-_-Product+Listing+Ads-_-40-60-_-IM-1005&gclid=CLWah9POtbkCFaZaMgodaF4A0w[/size] across the street from the vitamin shop where I picked up some vitamin D [/size][size=78%]http://www.amazon.com/Vitamin-Shoppe-Liquid-5000-liquid/dp/B002PCROZU[/size]

IDK if I will buy the carnivor when I run out, we'll see if it really helps build muscle - the egg protein taste better but hmmm the egg protein had soy which I avoid, paleo protein was pretty good but they had none ...

due to a chaoitic life I only get to do pull ups for working out, I space it out to 3 times a week in order to let the protein work its magic on my muscles ...in a couple weeks I
will get my weight set back and a few weeks later maybe move to Reno again so I can join a gym

Wheat Free Forum

« Reply #13 on: September 05, 2013, 07:33:03 PM »

Sponsored Links