This forum is created by people who follow the Wheat Belly Diet, as a place to communicate with each other about various topics. Please note that this site is a user created site, and not one of Dr. Davis' sites.

Author Topic: Hi...and help!  (Read 7979 times)

Heavy_D

• View Profile
Hi...and help!
« on: September 06, 2013, 08:41:06 AM »
Hi there. I'm at the prelim stages of my WF lifestyle and have found this board helpful. I registered in part because I'd like some advice as to any ideas I should be pursuing. I started dieting in Aug 2013 (the "Aug Diet"), with the goal to try it for one month and see what happens. I ate lots of veggies, meats and reduced my carbs (I'd have about one serving of bread/rice a day). Along the way, I had four bad days in a row and cheated here and there, but I was strict for the last two weeks and by Aug 25th, I lost about 22 pounds. For the record, I have a lot of weight to lose.

On Aug 25th, I started a WF diet. I have been strict since then. My breakfast consists of a two egg omelette with either a black coffee or black tea. Lunch is a salad (lettuce, tomato, cucumber with apple cider dressing) and a meat (chicken or fish typically). Dinner is a salad (same as lunch), a meat (chicken, fish usually - I have one steak a week) and a cooked veggie (grilled peppers, mushrooms, onions, etc.). During the day for snacks, I have a plate of raw veggies (carrots, celery, brocoli) and occasionally raw nuts (pecans, walnuts, almonds). After dinner, I'm done eating for the day. Outside of my morning tea/coffee, I'm only drinking water (a little over 1 gallon a day). No breads, rice, potatoes.

In addition, I work out about 4 to 5 times a week (I started this as part of the Aug Diet).

The results from the WF lifestyle were minimal in the beginning (nothing close to the Aug Diet) and I found this site. One of the suggestions i saw was to consider cutting dairy, so I cut it out to experiment. Again, no real impact. I also saw some posts suggesting to increase fat consumption. In that vein, I replaced the cider dressing in my salad with extra virgin olive oil, I added avocado to my salad, I increased my consumption of raw walnuts/pecans and I added coconut oil to my eggs.

As of today, my 13th day of WB, I have lost 4 pounds. I'm not sure if I'm being unrealistic to expect more, but it has been frustrating since I lost more doing the Aug Diet which allowed me to have some bread, and cheat here and there. I know sleep is related to diet, and I am a bad sleeper (usually 5 to 6 hours) so I've made an effort to sleep more. This morning, I gained 1.5 pounds from yesterday, and it really felt like a kick in the gut. I'm considering going back to the Aug Diet, but before doing so, I just wanted to check here for any other ideas or thoughts.

One thing to note, and I want to avoid being gross. But since going WF, I haven't been going to the bathroom as much. And when I do....I don't spend a lot of time in there (I hope this is understandable). I've gone a few days without visiting, and then when I finally visit, it's very...uninspiring. I wonder if this is related to my lack of progress, and if so, are there any suggestions anyone can offer.

Any help is appreciated, and I apologize for dumping all this in my first post. Best wishes all!

scrupulousgirl

Re: Hi...and help!
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2013, 08:56:57 AM »
Welcome to the board! We are all glad to have you here and glad that you decided to post where you are right now. I also have a significant amount to lose (about 100lbs). I would encourage you not to weigh every day. I made a decision before I really got started with WB mid-June 2013 to only weigh once a month. I went through a spell a few weeks ago where I got to weighing either everyday for a few days or at least once a week. Several ladies here helped to remind me to stop doing that and I've been mentally better off for it.

I know nothing about the August Diet that you spoke of so I cannot give any advice on that. I would encourage you to stay Wheat-free and since you already know this is a Life-style change, don't look back. Just keep the good stuff going that you've already started. The slower weight loss as you have seen with WB is better for the long run. Someone else may say differently. Definitely good job on increasing your Fats. That is the way to go with WB, but do not continue on the increased good fats if you're going to go back or remain at higher than 50 carbs a day.

You can do this and we are all here to support you. As far as the slow digestion/elimination you spoke about, part of this is very likely just your body adjusting to the increased Fiber and may take a few months to normalize. I would bet that you have a big loss coming and just don't know it yet if you know what I mean HA HA HA HA!

I know others will come along and have much more to add. Best wishes!

Bob Niland (Boundless)

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2013, 09:00:38 AM »
> ... 13th day of WB, I have lost 4 pounds. I'm not sure if I'm being unrealistic to expect more ...

Have you seen:
WBB: I lost the wheat, but didnít lose weight: 2

Rita

• Administrator
  • A student of nutrition
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2013, 09:05:30 AM »
Welcome to the forum.   And I think you've done great so far on the weight loss.  And if you are working out 4 to 5 times a week, you are building up muscle mass.  Muscle weighs more than fat.  My guess is that although the scale is slowing down, the inches are coming off.    I'd step away from the scale.  It's too frustrating to weigh all the time, when weight isn't always such a great measure of all the good things that are starting to happen in your body.  Heck...  26 pounds in a month is a major accomplishment, but the body isn't going to keep up with that pace every month. 

On the weight loss side, and as you mentioned, many of us have discovered  that we really need to increase our fat intake.   Although you are getting some fat in, I think you should be more liberal with it.   Don't use fats like corn and canola, but go heavy on fats like olive oil, coconut oil, butter.

Are you hungry and do you have low energy?   If you are working out that much, it doesn't seem like you have enough food.  The fat will definitely help in the hunger and energy department.   I'd boil up a bunch of hard boiled eggs and keep them handy for snacks.  That's like nature's multivitamin.   And it has lots of good fats in them as well.  ( Get pasture-raised eggs ).

In case you are concerned about cholesterol and fat,  I urge you to read this book:  http://www.amazon.com/The-Great-Cholesterol-Myth-Disease-/dp/1592335217/  .   It's all political, and when you look at clinical studies,  you will see that dietary fat and cholesterol does not effect fat and cholesterol in the body.  Sugar and refined carbs on the main the culprit.

Do you feel crampy from not going to the bathroom?   I'm just wondering if you are constipated, or maybe you are just using most of your food intake.

You might look into probiotics to help with that.

And as Boundless mentioned, look at that link.  Your thyroid may be an issue.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2013, 11:05:24 AM by Rita »

Heavy_D

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2013, 10:31:26 AM »
Thanks for the replies. Just to clarify a few things:

- The August Diet I referred to do was just my diet in August. Nothing special - just ate more healthy, cut down breads/rice and exercised more.

- I have seen the link provided. I kind of dismissed the thyroid issue since I was able to lose 22 lbs doing the Aug Diet. Does this make sense, or is a thyroid issue still possible? And is the solution just iodine?

- Rita - your questions are great because these past few days I've felt worse. On my first few wheat free days, I had so much energy (it scared some of my friends) and I wasn't feeling hungry. But the last 3-4 days, I have been low energy and hungry! I have been eating more fat over the last 5-6 days than I did previously. Maybe I'm just not eating enough (this would be a great problem to have). I've been thinking my metabolism is shutting down, and as a result, have been considering taking kelp. Does anyone have any thoughts on this?

- I'm also suffering (albeit minor) from ragweed allergies, so that may be why I'm feeling lousy the last few days.

- Also, a couple of times last week, I felt like I had stuff in abdomen region building (I thought this was due to not having a movement in a few days). But this week, I don't even feel the need to visit the bathroom - no cramps, nothing. Maybe, I'm using all of it by working out, as you suggested, (but my lack of weight loss in the last 13 days would suggest otherwise, I think?).

Thanks for your support guys. I'm glad we have a forum like this to share thoughts, suggestions and successes!

Rita

• Administrator
  • A student of nutrition
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2013, 10:58:43 AM »
I would do kelp.   Sea vegetables are extremely good for you.

And allergies certainly do a number on you...  I've been a seasonal allergy sufferer all my life, and my son has a heck of a time with them.  The doctor recently put him on a nasal spray called fluticasone propionate, and it's really helped him a lot.  Still want to find a natural alternative though.

Hope you're boiling some hard boiled eggs for snacks today.  :)    And go for that uncured bacon!  ( Just eat some vitamin C with your bacon too ).   

« Last Edit: September 06, 2013, 11:03:55 AM by Rita »

Rita

• Administrator
  • A student of nutrition
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2013, 11:10:21 AM »
You might also do the bulletproof coffee:

http://wheatfreeforum.com/index.php/topic,25

HungryinTN

« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2013, 11:21:05 AM »
It sounds to me like you are right on track!  4 pounds in 13 days is basically 2 pounds a week, which is a great, sustainable level of weight loss.  When you first started your original diet, your body probably dropped toxins as much as it did fat.  That was what I noticed most.  I felt less puffy, less weighed-down.  By the time I'd lost eight pounds I felt as good as if I'd lost fifty (I've now lost about twenty and have about sixty left to go). 
Are you doing anything to cleanse your liver?  That's been a pretty important key for me.  I've been stuck for three weeks because I've been drinking alcohol more than the once a week I allowed myself in the beginning.  Maybe get a detox tea and have it a couple of times a day for a couple of weeks, plus a tea containing senna to keep things moving, so to speak.  Hot water with lemon is also a good liver cleanser.  Also, if you're staying in nutritional ketosis then your body may need to cycle out of it occasionally.  Dave Asprey (creator of Bulletproof coffee) suggests eating a sweet potato a couple of times a week.  If you're doing "chronic cardio," you may also be signalling your body to store fat and actually impeding your weight loss instead of aiding it.  This isn't the old "calories in, calories out" song and dance.  Your body is adjusting to a whole new way of life.  Don't stress it out too much.  Some good functional exercise that reminds your muscles what they were made to do is all that is really necessary.  Throw the calorie counter out with the scale.  :)

Barbara from New Jersey

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2013, 01:14:14 PM »
Just to throw out another idea: probiotics to help heal your intestines.  Your need to rebuild your flora after giving up wheat and grains.  Also, slippery elm is an inexpensive herb, in pill form, that acts as a mucilage to move the fecal matter along so you don't get constipated.  Gentle on your system and very helpful!  Remember, your body is trying to adjust to the new way of eating.  It has a great deal of cleaning out to do.

You are doing good and are on the right track!
« Last Edit: September 09, 2013, 03:55:00 AM by Barbara from New Jersey »

deanna in AR

• WF Sept. 2011
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2013, 01:58:56 PM »
Welcome! I was going to suggest probiotics too. Also, maybe less working out. A spoonful of coconut oil helps me with constipation. A magnesium supplement also helps with constipation...I use the lotion that you rub into your skin, but I can only tolerate a very small amount every couple of days. Stick with it! You'll be glad you did.

Suzhookem

• Wheat Free April 2012
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 06, 2013, 02:51:14 PM »
Hi and welcome! Going to a WF life style will start to heal your body, which once healthy will adjust to it's desired weight. Depending on how much healing needs to be done you can adjust what you're doing. My suggestion would also be probiotics and bulletproof coffee. I add 2 tablespoons of coconut oil, a few drops of stevia and a few shakes of cinnamon. Yum. I also eat a concoction of flax oil and cottage cheese, but that's another story. As you've already heard here toss the scale. At least hide it. Some on this site have found measuring a better indicator of what is happening. Good luck and don't get discouraged. It works!

bcflyfisher

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 06, 2013, 03:58:10 PM »
Worth noting is that you had already lost a great deal of weight in a short time.  22lbs in under a month is a lot.

Regardless of the total amount you intend to shed that rapid loss is rarely sustainable month after month after month.  At your current pace you're looking at 8 pounds a month - that's still rapid weight loss in my books! 

I wouldn't worry about too many other details - I think what you're currently doing sounds very good. 

Heavy_D

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 06, 2013, 09:06:44 PM »
Thank you all for your replies and encouragement. I can already see what a great forum this is! You guys are completely right. I'm going to stop weighing myself everyday and just focus on how I feel (and hopefully notice my clothes getting too big for me!).

My workouts are mostly weights and strength training (not cardio). I'm going to keep going, because I find it really energizing, and I feel myself getting stronger. To anyone who reads this who doesn't exercise, I kindly suggest getting some physical activity.  Even going for a nice walk can do wonders!

HungryinTN - I think you are right about the toxins. A week before I started, I had a heavy week of drinking (just a lot of BBQs and get togethers). Since then (early August) I haven't touched alcohol. I will give the detox tea a try.

Rita - you made my day with the bacon suggestion!

I'm going to try a probiotic and kelp. With regards to the coconut oil (and this may be a dumb question, so I apologize in advance), but do you cook in it or are you just consuming it? I basically beat my eggs to make my omelette and put one spoon of coconut oil in my egg batter. I then cook the egg batter in extra virgin olive oil.

Again guys, thanks for all the encouragement. 

lyra

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 07, 2013, 03:50:34 AM »
Just to throw in my two cents here. The coconut oil is much better for cooking since it is more stable to high temperature. butter is great too . The saturated fats are necessary for metabolism and satiety, and don't make you fat. Olive oil is not the best choice for cooking, but better to use as a garnish over the cooked food.

deanna in AR

• WF Sept. 2011
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 07, 2013, 08:24:39 AM »
Some of us take coconut oil by the spoonful too. I just put a spoonful in my mouth and let it melt. No bad taste and not unpleasant for me. There are others who melt it first.

HungryinTN

« Reply #15 on: September 07, 2013, 01:23:53 PM »
On a side note re: coconut oil, I also read somewhere recently (could have been posted on here somewhere for all I remember) about the benefits of doing an oil pull with coconut oil, especially if you have dental problems.  You're just supposed to swish it around in your mouth for a few minutes and spit it out to clean toxins out of your mouth.  It's much better for your teeth than flossing, which can actually push bacteria into your gums and lodge it there to create all kinds of problems (I've never flossed a day in my life and I've never had a single cavity).  Doing this can apparently help cut down on heavy metals and BPA absorbed into the blood. 

My new favorite cooking fats are home-rendered lard and tallow.  It's not good in everything, so ghee comes in close behind.  I rarely cook in coconut oil, but I like to put it into my mashed sweet potatoes and butternut squash when I have them. 

jgilberAZ

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 07, 2013, 05:04:23 PM »
A natural help for sinuses Ö Xclear.

Been using it six months Ö I think it helps.
Low Carb Since April 2009.

Lila

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 08, 2013, 06:22:37 PM »
I started 5 weeks ago and have lost 5 pounds so far, all of it last week. I too have alot to lose and I have been discouraged.  This group really helps.

I feel so much better being wheat/grain-free and I simply love the foods.  It is alot easier for me to resist junky foods--I attended a banquet and two receptions over the weekend and it was easy staying wheat free.  Sugar free too.  I passed on all the sweet goodies.  Previously, I was never able to do it.  I am convinced it is because before I did not stop eating wheat. 

Hang in there! Last week I followed the advice on the forum to start with a probiotic. I'm also exploring further my thyroid dysfunction. 

Welcome to the WFF!

deanna in AR

• WF Sept. 2011
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 09, 2013, 09:10:55 AM »
Lila, congrats on the 5 pounds! Progress! Exciting.

Lila

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 09, 2013, 12:55:35 PM »
 :) :) :) Progress Indeed!! :) :) :)

aspexil

• Went wheat free end of Feb 2013
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 10, 2013, 09:09:58 AM »
I've switched to weighing myself every other month.  Well, we'll see if I actually make it.  Last time I weighed myself was Aug 3 and the previous was July 3.  And while I saw losses every month if I tried weighing myself every day or week the stalls and up/down nature of my weight was maddening.  I know I'm still loosing weight as clothes are getting looser.

Suzhookem

• Wheat Free April 2012
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 10, 2013, 09:52:40 AM »
Hi all. Does anyone have any experience with Kumbacha Tea? I'm reading that its a detox and good for just about everything. Want to make some but the process seems intimidating to me. Lol. Kitchens!

Rita

• Administrator
  • A student of nutrition
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 10, 2013, 11:39:59 AM »

Hi all. Does anyone have any experience with Kumbacha Tea? I'm reading that its a detox and good for just about everything. Want to make some but the process seems intimidating to me. Lol. Kitchens!

Here's a thread on it:

http://wheatfreeforum.com/index.php/topic,115.0.html

Suzhookem

• Wheat Free April 2012
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 10, 2013, 01:04:48 PM »
Thank you again Rita. Was embarrassed to see I even posted on that thread. Lol. Ashamed to say I didn't do a search first.

deanna in AR

• WF Sept. 2011
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 16, 2013, 11:47:29 AM »
Hungry, I'm trying the oil pull w/ coconut oil. I'm just putting a small glop in my mouth, letting it melt, swishing it all around in my mouth, then spitting it out. My question is: where does mouthwash fit into this? Do you still use mouthwash? If so, when...in relation to the oil pull?

HungryinTN

« Reply #25 on: November 16, 2013, 12:58:05 PM »
I've never been a mouthwash user (or a flosser, and I've never had a cavity - go figure), so I'm afraid I don't know the answer to that.  I've mostly read about oil pulling as an alternative to mouthwash.  I think somewhere I read that you can add an infusion of peppermint oil to it, but I am not 100% on that. 

deanna in AR

• WF Sept. 2011
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 16, 2013, 02:04:00 PM »
Ok, thanks Hungry!

Wheat Free Forum

« Reply #26 on: November 16, 2013, 02:04:00 PM »

Sponsored Links