This forum is created by people who follow the Wheat Belly Diet, as a place to communicate with each other about various topics. Please note that this site is a user created site, and not one of Dr. Davis' sites.

Author Topic: King Korn  (Read 3188 times)

Linda R

King Korn
« on: September 06, 2013, 12:43:36 PM »
A poignant and entertaining, educational and enlightening video that gives the viewer a very clear understanding of how and why corn is now grown from fence to fence here in Iowa.
Two young men with ancestral links to rural Iowa decide to grow an acre of corn and follow it from planting till it reaches our food supply.
I found this video very eye-opening and sad.
The basis for it all?  Money and more money.
And sadly, even though grain such as corn is deadly for cattle, we keep doing it.

I am now even more determined to eat grass fed beef, regardless of the cost.

http://www.organicconsumers.org/articles/article_28220.cfm

Greene, Iowa is about 125 miles north and east of my home. The scenery in this video is pretty much what I see every day.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2013, 12:48:29 PM by Linda R »

Rita

• Administrator
  • A student of nutrition
    • View Profile
Re: King Korn
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2013, 02:45:43 PM »
I just watched the entire video.  Very eye opening!  Thanks for sharing that.

HungryinTN

« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2013, 02:48:32 PM »
I wish I could get everyone I know to watch it!

HungryinTN

« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2013, 02:52:47 PM »
On a side note, I spend a lot more than 17% of my income on feeding myself now that I've given up all of the types of things that they talk about in the video, and I don't mind a bit if it means I'm not putting this crap in my body or contributing my money to feed the system!

Linda R

« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2013, 04:47:22 PM »
On a side note, I spend a lot more than 17% of my income on feeding myself now that I've given up all of the types of things that they talk about in the video, and I don't mind a bit if it means I'm not putting this crap in my body or contributing my money to feed the system!

Amen Sista!

I am becoming more and more disgusted with the entire farming situation. The Farm Bill is a joke! Some in Congress want to seriously reduce the amount of help people receive from the SNAP program, and I personally know recipients who work every day and STILL depend upon it to keep food on the table. Then I see these well-heeled farmers, trading in their pick-ups every year, getting richer and richer as they collect their subsidy checks.
If farmers here in Iowa had to feed their families with the food they actually grow, they'd starve to death!

Barbara from New Jersey

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2013, 04:31:16 AM »
Linda and Hungry,

Both of you bring up important issues.  First, is that the unintended consequences of providing inexpensive and plentiful food has been ill health.  Besides the daily misery of aches and pains, you eventually pay out much more in healthcare costs after years of over the counter purchases just to manage your pain in your daily life.  When you don't feel well, your decisions aren't the best either, causing all kinds of other unintended results.  Second is that the hard earned dollars spent feeding yourself nourishing, quality foods will change your life.  Think back to your pre WB days and the $ amounts spent buying things to eat, including snacks.  What was your average grocery bill?  How much did you spend on drug store type items and how many doctor visits and/or prescriptions did you fill?  As time passes, you will be adjusting the quantities and types of foods so that your bills as a total actually drop.  Bottles of Advil, Tums, Immodium, Exlax or sleep aides and the like are rarely needed when you are really healthy.  Alcoholic beverages also tend to be consumed in less quantities than before, adding dollars not spent on an item you hardly use anymore.  Don't forget about the stops at convenience stores for that quick cup of coffee or chips and candy just to get you through the next hour or so until your next meal. 

The start up costs are high, but once you settle in to your WB routine, you will realize that you eat less, feel satisfied and have not spent all the money in your food/drug budget.  What a wonderful felling that is!

The working poor and lower middle classes too often spend their money on the wrong foods.  Packaged, sugared, processed stuff filled with empty calories and nutrition.  Carts filled with high glycemic foods and few veggies or fruits are commonly seen in poor neighborhood food stores.  This has been the same as long as I can remember.  For example, most don't make their own ice tea or lemonade for pennies, they buy soda for dollars.  Meals tend to be fast food takeout or pizza or a packaged heat and eat type.  I observed this nearly fifty years ago and it hasn't changed.  Farmers grow the produce that sells.  If there wasn't a market, they wouldn't grow it.  Growers don't care about how the ingredient is used.  They only care about the price they are paid per pound. 

]This unsustainable bubble will pop as all bubbles do.  The people not buying wheats and grains are growing.  If Dunkin' Donuts thinks it can profit from the gluten-free movement, lots of other companies will start paying attention to the market place that says it wants clean food.  Companies, like farmers, can't stay in business if their products don't sell.   Also, there has been a number of news articles about the Acquifiers being drained faster than can be replenished, almost at the point of no return now.  Mother Nature might do what our foolish government has failed to do.

We walk with our pocketbooks in our demand for clean, nutritious food.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2013, 11:31:34 AM by Barbara from New Jersey »

Linda R

« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2013, 10:28:39 AM »
Linda and Hungry,

The working poor and lower middle classes too often spend their money on the wrong foods.  Packaged, sugared, processed stuff filled with empty calories and nutrition.  Carts filled with high glycemic foods and few veggies or fruits are commonly seen in poor neighborhood food stores.  Has been the same as long as I can remember.  For example, most don't make their own ice tea or lemonade for pennies, they buy soda for dollars.  Meals tend to be fast food takeout or pizza. I observed this nearly fifty years ago and it hasn't changed.  Farmers grow the produce that sells.  If there wasn't a market, they wouldn't grow it.  Growers don't care about how the ingredient is used.  They only care about the price they are paid per pound. 

]This unsustainable bubble will pop as all bubbles do.  The people not buying wheats and grains are growing.  If Dunkin' Donuts thinks it can profit from the gluten-free movement, lots of other companies will start paying attention to the market place that wants clean food. Also, there has been a number of news articles about the Acquifiers being drained faster than can be replenished, almost at the point of no return now.  Mother Nature might do what our foolish government has failed to do.

So true. I happen to live within walking distance of my granddaughter who has been struggling to establish a life for herself since high school but it seems to be one step forward and two steps back.If it weren't for the state of Iowa plus mom & dad, she be living in a tent!

She buys total crap when shopping, stuff she can simply pop in the microwave or reheat. She just can't seem to get the least bit interested in learning to cook and actually PREPARING meals from scratch. Every now and then she comes to me and asks to borrow? money so that she can go into town for pop, but I won't do it. I offer her some of my own iced tea, in the pitcher, nice and fresh and cold. I suggest she drink water or milk. She simply pouts and walks out the door.

Linda R

« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2013, 10:37:21 AM »
Linda and Hungry,

Both of you bring up important issues.  First, is that the unintended consequences of providing inexpensive and plentiful food has been ill health.  Besides the daily misery of aches and pains, you eventually pay out much more in healthcare costs after years of over the counter purchases just to manage your daily life.  When you don't feel well, your decisions aren't the best either, causing all kinds of other unintended results.Second is that the hard earned dollars spent feeding yourself nourishing, quality foods will change your life.  Think back to your pre WB days and the $ amounts spent buying things to eat, including snacks.  What was your average grocery bill?  How much did you spend on drug store type items and how many doctor visits and/or prescriptions did you fill?  As time passes, you will be adjusting the quantities and types of foods so that your bills as a total actually drop.  Bottles of Advil, Tums, Immodium, Exlax or sleep aides and the like are rarely needed when you are really healthy.  Alcoholic beverages also tend to be consumed in less quantities than before, adding dollars not spent on an item you hardly use anymore.  Don't forget about the stops at convenience stores for that quick cup of coffee or chips and candy just to get you through the next hour or so until your next meal. 

I think about this a lot! Whenever I walk into Walgreen's to refill my eye drop prescriptions or the one pill I take everyday for angina, and I watch the same folks filling their numerous prescriptions, I feel so very well off. The only problem I have to deal with is glaucoma, had it for 10 years or so, it seems to be under control via medication. The one pill I was told to take is for angina and I sometimes feel as though I could drop that as well.  I have no other problems unless I over do it with my weights and push a muscle too far. Or fall over a cat!  LOL

Randal

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2013, 07:28:52 PM »
Pardon me a moment while I put on my tin foil helmet...

I try not to be a conspiracy theorist, but it's difficult once you learn the facts and realize people smarter and more powerful than I could improve the health and nutrition of our country. But after watching this documentary on Iowa, it reminds me why we've had such terrible food politics for the past 30 years: Iowa is the first primary state. Didn't Senator Rubio make his first 2016 campaign visit to Iowa two weeks after the 2012 election?

We won't see any real political progress on nutrition until we change the presidential primary system, and candidates don't have to pander to corn grower corporations.

Rita

• Administrator
  • A student of nutrition
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 07, 2013, 09:17:37 PM »
We won't see any real political progress on nutrition until we change the presidential primary system, and candidates don't have to pander to corn grower corporations.

Yet the government is paying them to grow the corn...

Pretty messed up.

I'm sure big pharma loves those subsidies.  A sicker population means more biz for them.

Suzhookem

• Wheat Free April 2012
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 08, 2013, 11:25:13 AM »
What about the tobacco subsidies!!!! The government needs the tax from cigarette sales to pay for the health care system. This was an easy film to watch. Very informative in a personal format. Thanks for posting.

Jan in Key West

• View Profile
« Last Edit: September 10, 2013, 08:33:34 PM by Rita »

Wheat Free Forum

« Reply #11 on: September 10, 2013, 07:26:08 PM »

Sponsored Links