This forum is created by people who follow the Wheat Belly Diet, as a place to communicate with each other about various topics. Please note that this site is a user created site, and not one of Dr. Davis' sites.

Author Topic: Party strategies  (Read 5690 times)

Rita

• Administrator
  • A student of nutrition
    • View Profile
Party strategies
« on: April 22, 2013, 09:04:31 PM »
What are some of your best wheat free strategies when you go to someone's house or go to a party?

deanna in AR

• WF Sept. 2011
    • View Profile
Re: Party strategies
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2013, 08:33:40 AM »
This is a tough one. When we're at home, we're not tempted with the bad stuff because we don't buy it. When we're NOT at home, we never choose wheat, but sometimes we'll eat higher carb, i.e. a potato, corn chips, etc. When we're out of town, we will sometimes eat Mexican...which is very high carb...but not frequently. So our splurges are never wheat. During the Christmas holidays, we spent the first part w/ my SIL and she eats similar to us, so that was VERY easy. However, the next few days were spent with friends...much more challenging. They understand that we don't eat wheat, but they don't understand the concept of low carb, high fat, and no "gluten free" foods. We just don't do any of this frequently. At restaurants we generally do salads, meat, steamed veggies. Stay away from sauces or anything with lots of ingredients...and ask LOTS of questions!

Joan from MN

• Wheat free since 1/20/13
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2013, 09:44:53 AM »
This is a timely topic because my youngest daughter's engagement party AND 25th birthday are both happening next month, almost on the same date. So we'll be celebrating both on one weekend. She plans on serving cake, sandwiches, and raw veggies. We'll probably have some protein ahead of time and then fill up on sandwich filling and veggies. I love cake, but my story will be that I'm "too full" to have any.

We tried the "too full" strategy at an Easter dinner this year. My sister, knowing that we're both wheat free, handed us a paper plate of pie and cupcakes on our way out. We thanked her graciously and unceremoniously dumped it in the trash when we got home.

Bing

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2013, 03:01:40 PM »
Temptation is not a problem, I just don't like explaining why I skip all the 'good' stuff.  8)
People usually don't get it at all, can't imagine enjoying food without wheat... endless debate.

So, IBS is my alibi.

Jan in Key West

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2013, 01:41:16 PM »
Actually, tonight we're invited for cocktails at a friend's house and knowing we're following the WB diet, she called to ask about appropriate appetizers!

Joan from MN

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2013, 03:24:08 PM »
Actually, tonight we're invited for cocktails at a friend's house and knowing we're following the WB diet, she called to ask about appropriate appetizers!
How thoughtful of your friend!

Rita

• Administrator
  • A student of nutrition
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2013, 03:35:26 PM »
How thoughtful of your friend!

I was thinking the exact same thing!

gurliestgirl

• Ashley's Wheat Free Journey
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2013, 10:50:34 AM »
Vodka has wheat in it which is no fun!!!!  >:(

deanna in AR

• WF Sept. 2011
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2013, 11:10:53 AM »

But wine doesn't!

Joan from MN

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2013, 11:21:25 AM »
Some vodkas are gluten free. I believe Dr. Davis mentions a few of the brands in his book. Otherwise, an Internet search for "gluten-free vodka" will turn up a list.

gurliestgirl

• Ashley's Wheat Free Journey
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2013, 11:57:24 AM »
Great to know :)

Rita

• Administrator
  • A student of nutrition
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 25, 2013, 12:04:36 PM »
Vodka has wheat in it which is no fun!!!! 

Ooops!  I was at a very fun party at a neighbor's house last weekend and had a few cranberry vodkas!   :o    And here I thought I was being so good on the wheat thing by having my brat without a bun, using veggies instead of chips to scoop the guacamole dip ...

Jan in Key West

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 25, 2013, 04:07:04 PM »
Yes, it was thoughtful of my friend to ask, and she served crackers which are higher carb.....the stuff most likely none of us buy....but she was so nice about it, that I ate some anyway.....then stuck to the olives and veggies!

About the vodka.....there are some brands made from potatoes, but not sure of the names.  But I think Dr. D said something about vodkas being distiller, the threat is not as great, especially if you're not CD......it's in the back of the book and I loaned mine out again so can't check. 

Neicee

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 28, 2013, 03:34:14 PM »
Tito's vodka out of Texas is filtered 5 times and made from corn!  They carry very high ratings too.l  Tito even advertises it's gluten free.  Love Texas.

Randal

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 15, 2013, 10:36:15 AM »
I've had Tito's, Blue Ice, and Smirnoff without any problems. About a month ago, I had 3 Stoli's and 3 Guinnesses, and felt mental fog and slight depression for two days after.

deanna in AR

• WF Sept. 2011
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 15, 2013, 01:02:21 PM »

Omission beer is delicious and has the gluten removed.

http://omissionbeer.com/

Daura beer is also good, and is gluten free.

[size=78%]http://paleospirit.com/2011/estrella-damm-daura-the-star-of-gluten-free-beers/[/size]

BUT REMEMBER, both are still high in carbs!!

Wheat Free Forum

« Reply #15 on: May 15, 2013, 01:02:21 PM »

Sponsored Links