This forum is created by people who follow the Wheat Belly Diet, as a place to communicate with each other about various topics. Please note that this site is a user created site, and not one of Dr. Davis' sites.

Author Topic: Thyroid  (Read 25171 times)

deanna in AR

• WF Sept. 2011
    • View Profile
Thyroid
« on: September 09, 2013, 10:11:56 AM »
Someone posted a link...then I went to another link...then another link...you know...

Anyway, I'm considering going from Armour Thyroid to  something that does not require a prescription. Anybody have any info on this? Anybody take something else?

From http://www.stopthethyroidmadness.com/natural-thyroid-101/
Are there any non-prescription desiccated thyroid products? Nutri Meds which is available in either porcine or bovine desiccated thyroid, and is far weaker, plus Dr. Lowes ThyroGold, which seems to be stronger and workable.  Neither Thyroid-S or Thiroyd from Thailand are by prescription, and patients report them working quite well.

Dr. Lowes ThyroGold:
http://www.naturalthyroidsolutions.com/

Contents of ThyroGold:
http://www.naturalthyroidsolutions.com/Contents_of_Thyro_Gold.html
I question this regarding vegetable oil:
Glyceryl Behenate.
Glyceryl behenate is a "glyceryl monoester." This means it is derived from glycerin and usually fatty acids. The glycerin and fatty acids often come from vegetable oils. In fact, glycerin is the backbone of all triglycerides. Glyceryl behenate serves as an emollient and skin-conditioning agent, but it is included in Thyro-Gold
TM
capsules as an emulsifying agent.

rt3-ratio:
http://www.stopthethyroidmadness.com/rt3-ratio/

http://www.drrind.com/therapies/thyroid-scale-matrix
« Last Edit: September 09, 2013, 10:29:35 AM by Rita »

Suzhookem

• Wheat Free April 2012
    • View Profile
Re: Thyroid
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2013, 10:42:40 AM »
Hi Deanna, I take Armour by prescription and I also take Iodoral iodine that one can purchase in any good drug store and on the web. Armour really changed my friend's life. If you eat dairy it needs to be outside 4 hours of Armour. Good for you doing research on your own. These Drs are taught TSH in med schools that are generously favored by the makers of Synthroid.

deanna in AR

• WF Sept. 2011
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2013, 12:12:03 PM »
Thanks for the info Suz. I've been taking Armour since December of 2012...the same time I got off Synthroid. But I've been reading about thyroid with no prescription required. My dr. doesn't really monitor mine anyway because he doesn't prescribe Armour...just looks to see if it's the "normal" range. He only prescribed it for me because I asked him several times.

Lila

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2013, 06:00:59 PM »
I wish I could get someone to prescribe Armour...

Maybe soon.

arlin

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2013, 06:21:20 PM »
If you eat dairy it needs to be outside 4 hours of Armour.

Hi Suzhookem. I've been taking tyroid for over 22  years now. I have no thyroid gland at all. Grave's Disease took care of that. :( Anyway, I'm on Armour and no one has ever mentioned that it needed to be taken so long after/before any dairy. All I was told was that I needed to wait 1/2 hour before eating. I'll take that new info into consideration.

I was on Syntroid for a long time before insisting that they change me to something that had more hormone than just thyroxin. I finally found a Dr. who would listen to me and discuss my options. I would love to take something that didn't require a perscription, but have been told that no one is allowed to market a non-perscription thyroid supplement that contains thyroxin so I'm darned if I do, and darned if I don't. :(

I also take an iodine supplement. No one ever told me I'd need that either until I started going to my naturopath.
I hope you find what you're looking for deanna.

deanna in AR

• WF Sept. 2011
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2013, 09:34:35 AM »
Suz and Arlin...I haven't heard/read/been told about dairy outside 4 hours of Armour either. And Arlin, I've never been told that with Armour you should wait 1/2 hour before eating. I know that's true with Synthroid, but Armour?

deanna in AR

• WF Sept. 2011
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2013, 09:39:23 AM »
Also, does anyone take Cytomel? Seems its a synthetic version of T3 only. I'm wondering if I would do better on that than the combo of T4 and T3. Also wondering if there's a natural T3 only, instead of synthetic?

Free T4: 1.3
Free T3: 2.0
Reverse T3: 23.4
TSH: 2.88

arlin

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2013, 11:27:28 AM »
Suz and Arlin...I haven't heard/read/been told about dairy outside 4 hours of Armour either. And Arlin, I've never been told that with Armour you should wait 1/2 hour before eating. I know that's true with Synthroid, but Armour?

Seems I read it on the info page that comes with the prescription, but I could be wrong deanna. I take it first thing when I wake up and don't eat for about an hour after so I'm good.

Rita

• Administrator
  • A student of nutrition
    • View Profile

LibbyMe

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2013, 04:42:05 PM »
I take Armour...have for several years.  I was told to take it all alone and not with other meds or food.  I take mine 1st thing in the a.m.  I take the rest maybe 2 hours later.
Now, my question is can anyone tell me about Levothyroxine?  I'm on Medicare and none of the supplementaries recognize Armour.  It's relatively inexpensive but every year I get a "run around".  I know that many folks have issues with Synthroid and I'd never want to take that BUT if a change is in my future, I've wondered about the Levothyroxine.

deanna in AR

• WF Sept. 2011
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 11, 2013, 06:31:56 PM »
Libby, I'm on Medicare too. My Part D for Rx's is Humana. My Armour was $13.03 for a 3-months supply. It's been that every time except one...that time it was $17 something. My Synthroid was [size=78%]$44.62 for 3 months about October or November of 2012. I use Right Source mail order for scripts.[/size]

LibbyMe

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 11, 2013, 09:26:16 PM »
Still wondering.....I've wondered about the Levothyroxine.

Lila

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 12, 2013, 06:20:24 AM »
Libby, I've been on levothyroxine for around 15 years.  Over the years, especially since menopause, the dosage has been adjusted upward as my TSH rose.  The problem is that I continue to have symptoms like depression, inability to lose weight (even on strict diets and exercise), eyebrow loss, brittle nails, you name them.

This is how I understand it.  Levothyroxine (T4) is synthetic but supposedly identical to biologic T4.  The notion is that T4 converts to the T3 that is needed by the body, which in turn tells the pituitary gland to stop producing so much TSH.  This is great, except when the T4 to T3 conversion doesn't happen.

After I went WF (actually, grain free and very low carb), I wasn't losing any weight.  None. Nada.  When I read Wheat Belly and the WBB, I realized that my problem might lie with T3.  My doctor only checks TSH and rebuked me when I suggested that T3 could benefit me (even though I was armed with literature).  I went out and got my own free T3, free T4, and reverse T3 tests.  The tests showed that my T4 was high, T3 was low normal, and reverse T3 was very high.  The Free T3 to RT3 ratio is supposed to be less than 6, mine was over 20.  I think this says that on T4 alone, my body was not making the conversion to T3 and I still have cells that aren't getting enough T3.  When I notified my doctor of these results, he referred me to an endocrinologist. Not sure whether he did it because he thought I need one or referred me just to placate me.

The endocrinologist (well, the PA) has reduced the levothyroxine and added (generic) cytomel, which is the synthetic T3 (again, supposedly identical to the biologic T3). I've been on it for 3 days now, so too early to tell.  I can tell you that I wake up refreshed and not foggy at all, I was actually productive yesterday, and seem to have more energy.

After my numbers balance out, she may switch me to Armour, but thought it best to go this route because it will be easier to fine-tune the dosage.

Fortunately for me, all of the meds are on my insurance.  She also switched me to the brand name synthroid (which costs me an extra $15 per month) because she said that there are 7 companies that make the levothyroxine and there can be wide variability.  That isn't the case for the cytomel because she said there are only two companies that make the generic version so there is more consistency.  I didn't question this because my administrative assistant had a similar experience about 6 months ago with her doctor (not the same as mine) and is on the brand name synthroid now. 
« Last Edit: October 12, 2013, 09:55:27 AM by Lila »

Suzhookem

• Wheat Free April 2012
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 12, 2013, 05:07:27 PM »
Probably been asked this over and over so forgive me but are you taking iodine? Also, if your gut isn't healthy it doesn't help with depression. I've read from Dr. Brownstein in a great little book he wrote about thyroid that the makers of synthroid have donated to all the medical schools and that's why drs. only know about TSH. I was on synthroid for years and have now been switched to Armour. My insurance refuses to pay for it so luckily it's not expensive and I pay for it out of pocket, however this makes sense with what I read in Dr Brownstein's book, which I recommend you get as it's full of great info. At least I think it would help answer your questions about T3 and T4. Hope this helps. 😊

Rita

• Administrator
  • A student of nutrition
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 23, 2013, 07:15:56 PM »
There was a request from the board that I move another discussion onto this thread, so here it goes:

Lynda ( Fl ) said:   
I'm rather excited by the new thyroid info I've discovered.  (It takes me awhile to find things.  I'm not the best researcher and envy some of you on here. I have extreme reading skills; I just can't always find what I want to read! ) I stumbled across a mention of thyroid and low carb diets.  It was the first mention of a problem in many, many books and articles.  It seems the sudden switch from high carb to low can trigger the production of rt3 and flip our metabolism into a sort of hybernation mode.  Or that's one theory.  It would explain why some people have such terrible withdrawal symptoms and why some of us still have thyroid symptoms; ie, coldness, fatigue, hair loss.  Here's the kicker; your tests can be normal.  It only shows up in the rt3! The rt3 will be high. The most sensible article I've read suggests adding back the carbs and then eliminating them more slowly.  It was interesting to me since it seemed to discribe me perfectly.  Of course rt3 is the only test I can't get my dr. to do.  Arrgh!  Betcha it's high.  Anyone with input on this?  Anyone like me, with 'normal' thyroid levels and still have all your symptoms?  I'm going to continue looking around but, at least, it had a germ of an idea that was new to me.

HungryinTN said:

Since I'm muddling along without any formal medical advice, I can only guess based on body temp, hair loss, and slowed-down weight loss that I have had a thyroid change in the past few months.  But I've just added gelatin to my routine (I will resume the bone broth making again once I have time, but I haven't been able to since those first couple of batches a few months ago).  I'm hoping, based on some information that I've read about the imbalance of proteins in the body from muscle meat, that the regular gelatin dosing will help alleviate some of the related symptoms, including endocrine disruptions.

Lynda ( Fl ) said:

Good question, Hungry.  You've reminded me I need to make more chicken broth.  I could use a boost.

Lila said:

I've been hypothyroid for years (and undiagnosed for years before that) and have been taking synthetic T4.  After starting the WB protocol, I wasn't losing any weight.  Nada.  After reading WB and Dr. D's blog, I asked my PCP to do tests other than TSH (I asked for Free T4, Free T3, and Reverse T3). My TSH was normal. He would not order other tests.  He would even consider adding T3 or putting me on Armour, despite the fact that I took a fist full of recent research that questions TSH being used as the sole criterion for diagnosing hypothyroidism and treating it.

I found True Health Labs (http://www.truehealthlabs.com) and ordered the tests I wanted.  I already knew TSH so I ordered just the three for $69 each.  I was able to get the blood drawn locally at LabCorp.  When I got the test results, I was able to schedule a short consultation with a doctor (really, a chiropractor, who is actually in the Atlanta area), at no additional cost. My T3 was on the low low low side of "normal", T4 was 'way high, and rT3 was ballistic.  The chiropractor told me that I should ask to add T3 or switch to Armour.  He also said the rT3 could be due to 1) T4 converting to rT3 instead of T3, and/or 2) stress.  He suggested that I get adrenal functions checked out.  I sent the results to my PCP and got a referral to an endocrinologist, but the one he chose does not prescribe T3 nor Armour (I found this out via the prescriber checkup at propublica.org).  I found one in Atlanta who does prescribe both T3 and Armour, affiliated with the healthcare system I use, and asked my PCP to change the referral.  He did so (albeit reluctantly).

I don't know whether my rT3 elevated so high was due to going low carb (it had only been about 6 weeks at the time).  I rather think it is a combination of 1) + 2) above.  The endo ordered tests for adrenal function (I had the blood drawn last week) and I have an appt. in early Dec. to discuss.  I think the thyroid meds need tweaking because I have several hypot symptoms (cold, losing hair, constipation), but I feel very different, and better, than I did on just T4. But I'm clearly on the right track.  Losing the depression has been the biggest change.  I've started losing weight, still slow, but I've made progress I don't think I would have made if I had not gone on T3.

Now, the chiropractor did say that stress could trigger elevation in rT3.  I guess it is at least possible that by going on the WB protocol, you are putting your body in a quasi starvation mode, which could raise cortisol and decrease DHEA.  Which could, if you believe the chiropractor (and I do), raise rT3.  The endo ordered adrenal tests, Free T3, Free T4, and antibodies (she thinks I have Hashimoto's, which wouldn't change her treatment protocol but would be an additional data point).  She did not order rT3.  I think there is a way to estimate using the other values, but I'm not sure about that.

Don't know if any of this is helpful.  If you decide to go rogue and order your own test for rT3, I recommend True Health labs--very professional.  I think they are doing some changes in the labs they use and maybe you can't order tests until sometime in December. 

Lynda ( FL ) said:

This was great stuff, Lila.  I had the same problem with my dr.  I finally nagged him into doing everything but rt3, which his endo buddy said was useless.  I don't want to go to the endo any time!  Now that my tests are all 'normal', my dr thinks he has me cured.  I just wish my hair would grow back in and I felt cured. Thanks for the two sites, those are handy.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2013, 07:20:58 PM by Rita »

Lynda (Fl)

• Wheat-free for 4 years
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 26, 2013, 10:42:43 AM »
I finally got around to checking my meds for wheat.  I was pleased to see that my Synthroid would only have wheat if it was cross-contaminated somehow.  Evidently, they don't add any on purpose.  I was also pleased to see my dose doesn't contain any odd dyes, either.  I take the 50mcg dose, in case anyone here does, too.  Confectioners sugar and acacia struck me as odd but they have to use something, I guess.  This is probably old news to most of you but just in case anyone is as busy, or lazy, as I am...

Lila

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 03, 2013, 12:02:50 PM »
Just an update:

Got my new labs yesterday. Note that when I visited my endocrinologist for the first time, she decreased my T4 (brand synthroid) and added T3 (generic for cytomel)

TSH 4.07  (before 1.71)
Free T3  2.2 (before 2.4)  This is still at bottom of normal range.
Free T4  don't recall, but had decreased to within normal (before 1.85 high)

The free T4 is in the upper third of the normal range so she is happy with that and thinks my synthroid is at exactly the right dose.  She doubled the amount of T3 I'm taking and I take it twice per day. She wants to get my free T3 in the upper third of the range.  She thinks once we get the T3 at the correct dose the TSH will resolve itself.

The thyroid antibodies show that indeed I've got Hashimoto's. So, as she said, I won't be coming off my thyroid meds anytime soon....

Cortisol and DHEA were within normal range.

Calcium was high so she started me on a Vitamin D supplement (says that we'll check Vitamin D next time but suspects it is low because high calcium usually means that).

Also my ALP (Alkaline phosphatase) was slightly elevated (highly unusual for me to have abnormal liver tests). She isn't concerned because I haven't had that before in all the tests I've had and it was only slightly elevated.  I read online that elevated ALP can result from a ketogenic diet.  Any thoughts on that?
I continue to be impressed with this endocrinology practice and the willingness to take the non-traditional approach to thyroid meds. Hoping that the upping of T3 will further enhance weight loss.

« Last Edit: December 03, 2013, 12:08:09 PM by Lila »

Lila

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 03, 2013, 12:10:05 PM »
Oh, and my blood pressure was 116/74.  Lowest it has ever been, I think.

Barbara from New Jersey

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 03, 2013, 12:29:00 PM »
Wow Lila!  That is terrific news!  Bet you are grinning from ear to ear!  Look where you are health wise and how you feel now compared to a year ago.  Look back to see how far you have come since you started WB.  What a wonderful gift you have given yourself!

Lynda (Fl)

• Wheat-free for 4 years
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 03, 2013, 12:48:33 PM »
That is fantastic, Lila.  What ever you are doing is sure working.  You have the BP of a young girl.  Keep it up.  :) :) :) :) :) :)

Loekie

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 04, 2013, 03:42:14 AM »
Probably been asked this over and over so forgive me but are you taking iodine? Also, if your gut isn't healthy it doesn't help with depression. I've read from Dr. Brownstein in a great little book he wrote about thyroid that the makers of synthroid have donated to all the medical schools and that's why drs. only know about TSH.

I had a test three months ago which showed my thyroid - i don't know if it was TSH, T3 or T4 - was working slow. Doctor wanted to give me meds. I refused, have eaten seaweed daily the last three months and I used salt with iodine. Next week I go for a test again. I had read on the internet that the meds you get for a slow thyroid, has to be taken lifelong. Not me!
« Last Edit: December 04, 2013, 03:46:36 AM by Loekie »
Wheat free since february 2012

Lila

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 04, 2013, 07:21:38 AM »
Loekie, I am happy to take (the correct) thyroid meds for the rest of my life. I found an endocrinologist who is working on correcting the meds I have been on for years and we are on the right track. The effects for me for under active thyroid are much worse than the meds--especially depression, constipation, eyebrow & hair loss, leg and ankle swelling.  The depression and constipation are the worst for me, I can live with the rest. The T3 I am taking now has made a world of difference in my depression. Not all of a sudden, but one day I realized that I don't have such feelings of dread and doom.  And lethargy (which is an awful symptom to cope with in the work I do).

We are on the right track with my treatment, I think, and I have Dr. Davis and my good friends here to thank for educating me on standards of care I need to insist upon.

I started taking kelp as an iodine supplement, but then I read that if you have Hashimoto's, that is not always a good thing. The last tests my endo ran included the thyroid antibodies, which confirmed her suspicion that I do have Hashimoto's (autoimmune disorder, probably genetic in my case). So I am delighted to have a doctor who is willing to use something other than the usual and customary approach of pumping you with just synthroid.

I am hoping to come off my blood pressure meds, though (but will keep taking that if I need to; the alternative doesn't seem too appealing to me).

Lynda (Fl)

• Wheat-free for 4 years
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 04, 2013, 07:33:07 AM »
Lila, your dr. is a treasure.  I wish all endos were so knowledgeable and thorough.

Lila

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 04, 2013, 07:59:09 AM »
indeed fortunate and I have you all to thank for letting me know it is OK to take my health treatment into my own hands. although the PCP should be the person to do all the research.

Jan in Key West

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 12, 2014, 04:06:07 AM »
http://drcate.com/going-low-carb-too-fast-may-trigger-thyroid-troubles-and-hormone-imbalance/

This might help in understanding thyroid implications when transitioning to a low carb WOE.

Barbara from New Jersey

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 12, 2014, 05:25:56 AM »
Jan,

Wonderful article!  Thank you for posting.
Deep Nutrition (Shanahan and Shanahan) is a must read.  The concerns voiced here and on WBB seem to be reactions to the transition to low carbing.  The comments are informative too.  I like the fact that there is discussion on her blog site and other opinions about the nutritional aspects of low carbing, much more than WBB offers.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2014, 05:52:11 AM by Barbara from New Jersey »

Jan in Key West

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 12, 2014, 05:55:30 AM »
I agree Barbara......while I think it's important to go cold turkey when eliminating wheat/grains, it might be advantageous to slowly ramp down the other carbs (potatoes, legumes, and other starchy stuff) while slowly ramping UP the healthy fats. This could be good info for new WB converts.

Lila

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 12, 2014, 01:04:33 PM »
Wish I had read this before I started. Interesting article.

Barbara from New Jersey

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 12, 2014, 01:44:50 PM »
Lila,

Yes, this is good information.  Dry eyes and dry mouth are 2 things that I developed going cold turkey eliminating grains and sugar.  I bought drops for my eyes and lots of saline spray for my sinuses. 

I noticed that these conditions were somewhat relieved when i ate more than the 50 carbs daily, especially when I had a small portion of rice, beans or lentils.  When I cleaned my pantry of gluten items, I left the rice, beans and lentils thinking that I would start eating them in the small portions and have them available for guests.  Now I am glad that I didn't donate them to the food bank. 

I wish WBB had discussed issues like these.  It would have saved me lots of misery. 

Lila

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 12, 2014, 05:29:36 PM »
I actually lose weight when I add a few more carbs, like purple hull peas or peanuts. So I wonder if the thyroid thing is for real.

About a month after I started the WB low carb, my rT3 was through the roof. I thought it was because of the T4 I was taking converting to rT3 instead of T3. Wonder now if that was right.

About 3 weeks ago I stopped taking my T4 for awhile to see if I could jumpstart something by taking just T3. I'll start the T4 again in a week.

I am afraid to eat too many carbs because I don't want to get into the binge mode again.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2014, 05:39:28 PM by Lila »

HungryinTN

« Reply #30 on: January 12, 2014, 06:09:53 PM »
I think the main thing to be careful of is the form those carbs come in.  I've had good luck sticking with sweet potatoes and butternut squash every few days. 

deanna in AR

• WF Sept. 2011
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 13, 2014, 08:08:11 AM »
Jan, I'm glad to have that info. I have a friend who is reading Wheat Belly and "considering" following this WOE. She knows it'll have to be a real commitment for her and is afraid. The problem is she is considering stopping smoking at the same time (get it all over with at the same time). I'm afraid she's setting herself up for failure. After reading this, if she immediately goes really low carb, that could make it even worse...making it less likely that she can/will stick to it.

Another problem I've found w/ people reading WB...they won't read the whole book. They find the quick & dirty page and think they've "got it". So they don't have the basics regarding the health benefits and are less likely to stick to it...or follow it only half heartedly. Yet we know that we all have to find our own way.

Bob Niland (Boundless)

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 13, 2014, 08:46:58 AM »
> Another problem I've found w/ people reading WB...they won't read the whole book.
> They find the quick & dirty page and think they've "got it".

Or they don't even have the book. They find the Q&D on WBB and figure that's it.

Or they don't even find the Q&D, just quit what they think is "wheat", and sail into WBB to complain about the results, more likely the lack thereof.

Based on some stuff I see on Dr. D's various newer web sites, it appears he's moving to a wider focus soon. We're seeing an unsurprising evolution from:
  • heart disease focused (trackyourplaque), found to be manageable by diet, to
  • wider striking health benefits from that same diet, with on-going fine tuning (Wheat Belly) to
  • comprehensive health management.
And yes, the incompetent assessment, misdiagnosis and maltreatment of thyroid is a significant part of that wider picture (and isn't exclusively a diet issue).

Jan in Key West

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 13, 2014, 09:05:38 AM »
Deanna,
Yes, it's good information to share with people just beginning WB. I'd like to research Dr. Cate's site to see if she has written a more detailed schedule of lowering carbs......sounds like initially, her discovery was happenstance. I'm wondering if one would begin by cutting out the wheat/gluten/grains for a week, two weeks, a month?.......then slowly begin eliminating sugars.......followed by potatoes, legumes etc.....fruit.....with each elimination, giving your body time to slowly adjust and acclimate. Meanwhile incrementally ramping up the healthy fats (again, slowly).....the bone broth....the supplements, the probiotics.  Don't know what the timeline might be, but it may help circumvent adverse thyroid implications.

A friend of mine stopped smoking at the end of 2013.....and used an electronic gizmo which worked for her (so far)! But quitting smoking AND wheat at the same time might call for a large supply of mind-altering pharmaceuticals!  :o

HungryinTN

« Reply #34 on: January 13, 2014, 09:35:16 AM »
For me, I quit wheat first, and then once I realized how much better I felt, I decided to stop wrecking it with cigarettes.  The two moves were almost simultaneous.  There was about a week and a half between starting a wheat-free WOE and smoking my last cigarette.  But there were other things I didn't do all at once.  I took the carbs down slowly, eliminating a food group at a time, which I think made it easier. 

LibbyMe

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 17, 2014, 10:29:31 AM »
I've been on Armour for a number of years.  I was taking 150 mg per day until a few weeks ago when my heart was racing, I felt clammy and just weird.  I looked up on the Internet the symptoms of too much medications.  My symptoms were classic to over prescribed Armour.  I went to the doctor the next day and had a work-up....EKG etc.  They did labs and found that indeed I needed Armour to be "tweaked" so decreased it a bit.  Next month I will have it retested to see what my #'s are.  I've lost approx. 40 lbs (depending on the scale I weigh on) in the year I've been doing W.B.  I've had a plethora of great results of being on this life-style.  My weight-loss seems to have stalled so I'll be needing to tweak my carb etc. intake to see it I can re-jump-start my metabolism.  I'm on W.B. for life!!!

Loekie

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 18, 2014, 11:03:32 AM »
Maybe after wheat free the thyroid needs time to heal?
Wheat free since february 2012

Jan in Key West

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 18, 2014, 11:44:30 AM »
I don't know Loekie....after reading the WBB and WFF over the past year and reading all the posts regarding adverse thyroid implications, I'm wondering if Dr. Cate's observation of going low carb too fast is one of the causes. I spent the morning with a friend who is one week into WB (and feeling as if she has the flu) and I advised her to go slow and take it in stages. First the wheat/gluten/grain elimination and at the same time, begin reading labels, write down what you are eating.....gently begin increasing healthy fats.

I would like to suggest that we, as a community, do some brainstorming and come up with a protocol (it can be a little loose) regarding transitioning to WB incrementally in hopes of circumventing adverse reactions. I haven't found anything, as yet, online.

HungryinTN

« Reply #38 on: January 18, 2014, 11:50:28 AM »
I usually recommend something akin to this:  http://www.bulletproofexec.com/start-the-bulletproof-diet/, only switching steps 1 and 3. 

deanna in AR

• WF Sept. 2011
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 18, 2014, 02:09:21 PM »
That's good hungry. My friend I mentioned recently did start WF eating. Her reflux got really bad right away. I told her she may need probiotics. It's hard because you can only tell them bits at a time...otherwise, it's too overwhelming.

Barbara from New Jersey

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: January 18, 2014, 02:50:53 PM »
Deanna,

I found that until the inflammation causing acid reflux diminished, I needed to use Prilosec, Zegerid and similar OTC omeprazole slow release tablets.  You might suggest to your friend that he/she should take this once a day pill for the 14 day recommended dose.  What this does is helps the body to normalize the excessive acid while not eating the wheat helps to reduce the inflammation.  This proton pump inhibitor works very well and not harmful in the short term dosage which helps you "over the hump".

When I don't eat enough vegetables, I can still get that reflux when I bend, certain yoga poses or lifting something heavy because I tighten my stomach muscles.   Meat, fish and cheese are all acidic foods.  I really have to be careful to balance them with at least equal amounts of veggies.  Even after 13 months of this WOE, my holidays were very busy and I didn't pay enough attention to the 1/2 - 2/3 vegetable to meat ratio I was used to.  Most veggies are alkaline.   Yesterday I bought some Prilosec   :(  to stop the misery!

I take that VSL## probiotic and also colostrum.  I had thought the stomach inflammation and excessive acid was gone, never to return!  So for me, it is critical to make sure my plate is at least 1/2 veggies.  Lesson learned!

deanna in AR

• WF Sept. 2011
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: January 18, 2014, 04:07:06 PM »
Thanks for the info Barbara, she's already taking something for reflux, but I don't know what it is. Said she's suffered from reflux since third grade. also depression for many years. I so hope she can stick w/ this.

Jan in Key West

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: January 19, 2014, 05:26:11 AM »
Good list....and 1 & 3 should probably be switched. I'm thinking more in terms of a timeline....if one's goal is to transition into the low carb WB woe, especially if there is a major weight issue, would it be better to do it over a 2, 3 or 4 month period....or maybe longer?

HungryinTN

« Reply #43 on: January 19, 2014, 09:01:53 AM »
Maybe a pace of one change every week or two?   

Jan in Key West

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: January 19, 2014, 06:51:55 PM »
Yes, I'm thinking at least a two week interim....maybe a total of 6 to 8 weeks, or more?

Jan in Key West

• View Profile
« Reply #45 on: January 26, 2014, 06:06:15 AM »
For those who still have thyroid issues.....this may be of interest.

http://m.medicaldaily.com/dark-side-broccoli-and-kale-could-cruciferous-vegetables-be-bad-you-267892

Rita

• Administrator
  • A student of nutrition
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: February 03, 2014, 01:49:25 PM »
This 1-hour webinar is worth listening to.    It's with Dr. Lynch, who is the go-to guy on MTHFR gene mutations, and how that relates to thyroid:

LibbyMe

• View Profile
« Reply #47 on: February 03, 2014, 04:42:59 PM »
Well I've been on Armour for some years now without any issues...other than before the holidays ending up at my clinic (long story) which ultimately showed I was on too much meds.  My provider reduced me from 150mg. to 120mg. per day.  Next week I'll have my labs taken again so we'll see what happens. I have a friend, who just today said something about halving the drug--taking 1/2 in the morning and the other 1/2 in the evening as it positions itself better in the body.  I'd not heard that before.  Quite frankly I could drive myself half-nutsy trying to investigate all the benefits and non-benefits of this and that with my health.  I know we need to self-advocate but I'm quite tired right now of it all.  Doing Wheat Belly (for a year now) was to get myself healthy once again....hopefully getting  off some of my medications.  It's all a process!!

deanna in AR

• WF Sept. 2011
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: February 10, 2014, 06:57:51 AM »
Probably been asked this over and over so forgive me but are you taking iodine? Also, if your gut isn't healthy it doesn't help with depression. I've read from Dr. Brownstein in a great little book he wrote about thyroid that the makers of synthroid have donated to all the medical schools and that's why drs. only know about TSH. I was on synthroid for years and have now been switched to Armour. My insurance refuses to pay for it so luckily it's not expensive and I pay for it out of pocket, however this makes sense with what I read in Dr Brownstein's book, which I recommend you get as it's full of great info. At least I think it would help answer your questions about T3 and T4. Hope this helps. 😊

Suz, do you know which book by Dr. Brownstein?

I had my bloodwork done week before last and apparently my thyroid numbers are all over the place.

Suzhookem

• Wheat Free April 2012
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: February 10, 2014, 01:43:16 PM »
Deanna,

I think it was "Overcoming Thyroid disorders. I remember paying a lot less. Check his site. Holler if I need to get more specific and I'll be glad to do some research. 😄

Wheat Free Forum

« Reply #49 on: February 10, 2014, 01:43:16 PM »

Sponsored Links