This forum is created by people who follow the Wheat Belly Diet, as a place to communicate with each other about various topics. Please note that this site is a user created site, and not one of Dr. Davis' sites.

Author Topic: carb minus fiber question  (Read 1390 times)

gunsmith

• View Profile
carb minus fiber question
« on: September 11, 2013, 01:34:40 PM »
lets ay you have plain yogurt or protein powder ( 2 things I eat regularly )

my fave greek yogurt is plain, 5 carbs - I always add raw sunflower seeds and raw slivered almond, and a handful of fruit - can I add the fiber into the carb equation? i.e my yogurt has 5 gram carbs but the seeds/nuts have 4 or 5 fiber  grams too, doesn't this mean my net carb intake is still low?
I'm concerned because my protein powder this week has 8 grams of carbs no fiber but I always consume veggies or nuts/seeds at the same time to add fiber.

THANKS!!!

Bob Niland (Boundless)

• View Profile
Re: carb minus fiber question
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2013, 01:44:05 PM »
> ... can I add the fiber into the carb equation?

I'm going to say no. Even if they are fiber carbs, they add to the total, and then you subtract them out, so you still have the same high carbs of whatever you added them to.

This is a variation of the "does adding fat slow down the hi gly carbs" conjecture.

My opinion is "not in any significant manner" on both.

And some people don't even buy into the "net carbs" approach. They count all carbs. If you're doing a theraputic ketogenic diet, for example (T1D, epilepsy, cancer, Alzheimers), counting the total is probably wise.

jgilberAZ

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2013, 10:14:01 PM »
It's carbs-fiber per ingredient, then sum the sub totals.

It's not per meal.

Low Carb Since April 2009.

gunsmith

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2013, 11:08:04 PM »
thanks, that was my thinking too.

I lost a great deal of weight not knowing that carb equation  8)

for instance if a lara bar has 24 carbs and 3 fiber I thought i was eating 24 carbs so I cut it into 4 pieces and made the bar last all week.
I had my carbs down to under 50 per day/15 per meal for months and the weight disappeared.

I was not really hungry tonight so I had an avocado and about half an ounce of swiss cheese, but I also lifted weights and did about 30 pull-ups & chin - ups and cliff hangers - so I added a protein shake ( 8 carbs, 100% beef protein ) - I'm reasonably certain I did not have more then 15 carbs tonight

Wheat Free Forum

« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2013, 11:08:04 PM »

Sponsored Links