This forum is created by people who follow the Wheat Belly Diet, as a place to communicate with each other about various topics. Please note that this site is a user created site, and not one of Dr. Davis' sites.

Author Topic: Book Recommendations  (Read 32623 times)

bill

• View Profile
Book Recommendations
« on: September 13, 2013, 03:04:15 PM »
Wheat Belly, Dr William Davis (obviously)

Wheat Belly Cookbook, Dr. William Davis

Why We Get Fat, Gary Taubes (Got me going on this whole thing)

Good Calories, Bad Calories, Gary Taubes (had to read it twice it's full of great info)

The poor misunderstood calorie, William Lagakos (poorly edited but useful info)

Death by Food Pyramid, Denise Minger (Not as straightforward WB as you might think.  Still has very good recommendations backed up with lots of references)

Fat Chance, Dr. Robert Lustig (Not recommended, not helpful in any way.  Sugar's bad m'kay?)

Primal Body, Primal Mind, Nora Gedgaudas (great info very helpful)

Paleo Solution, Robb Wolf (seems to be the guy who started this trend)

How to Live Longer and Feel Better, Linus Pauling (he was right then and he's still right now)

Don’t Die Early, Rocky Angelucci (info written in understandable language.  Lots of helpful ideas)

500 Paleo Recipes, Dana Carpender (dairy free too)

Cholesterol Clarity, Jimmy Moore (Excellent for people just learning about the subject)

Primal Blueprint, Mark Sisson (on order, haven't read it)

Fat Head, The Movie, Tom Naughton (Available on Hulu and Netflix.  This gets people motivated)The Art and Science of Low Carbohydrate Performance, Jeff Volek and Stephen Phinney (on order)

The Art and Science of Nutritional Ketosis, Stephen Phinney(haven't read it)

Genocide: How Your Doctor's Dietary Ignorance Will Kill You!!!!, Dr. James Carlson (haven't read it)

Hunter-Gatherer Within: Health & the Natural Human Diet, George Diggs Jr., PhD. (haven't read it)

National Geographic Magazine, August 2013, Sugar Love:  A Not So Sweet Tale (Sugar's bad, m'kay?)A Low Carbohydrate, Ketogenic Diet Manual (pamphlet), Dr. Eric C. Westman, MD, MHS ($4 pamphlet, very useful)

Obesity, Evaluation and Treatment Essentials, Edited by G. Michael Steelman and Eric C. Westman (Worth the $150 cost.  Info for medical doctors)

Diabetes Epidemic & You by Joseph R Kraft (Will change your idea about diabetes)

Please feel free to add to the list or comment on any that I've listed.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2013, 10:22:04 AM by bill »

Jan in Key West

• View Profile
Re: Book Recommendations
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2013, 03:40:55 PM »
Bill....great thread!  Could I add...."the Vegetarian Myth" by Lierre Keith and "The Whole Soy Story' by Kaayla Daniel.....also Campbell-McBride of GAPS....Sally Fallon of Westin Price....and Peter Attia's blog regarding ketosis?

Barbara from New Jersey

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2013, 05:34:14 PM »
Nourishing Traditions by Sally Fallon

The Omni Diet by Tana Amen

Change Your Brain, Change Your Body: Use Your Brain to Get and Keep The Body You Have Always Wanted by Daniel Amen, MD.

Food Inc: From Mendel to Monsanto: The Promises and Perils of Biotech Harvest, Peter Pringle

« Last Edit: September 14, 2013, 06:44:08 AM by Barbara from New Jersey »

Rita

• Administrator
  • A student of nutrition
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2013, 08:58:52 PM »
I'm reading some pretty heady stuff right now on quantum healing.

The Tao of Physics - Fritjob Capra
Quantum Healing -  Deepak Chopra    (  Did you know that Deepak Chopra is an endocrinologist?   I didn't until I started reading this book )
The Biology of Belief - Bruce Lipton

lyra

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2013, 03:10:21 PM »
Great resource list. I have been reading Primal Body, Primal Mind.
Gedgaudas is very much into limiting proteins to around 50 grams per day. She promotes servings of just a couple of ounces per meal.  Limited carbs, moderate protein, and lots of healthy fats. She proposes that high protein leads to cancer cell development and shortened life span. I am left wondering how to stay at a stable weight on her recommendations.

Jan in Key West

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2013, 06:25:58 AM »
Lyra,
To my knowledge, Dr. Davis has never given a protein range, but I think it's most likely moderate. On Mark's Daily Apple, as well as the Eating Academy site, both recommend around 1 to 1.5 grams protein per kg of weight......or 100g. max. per day.....that's reasonable.

As far as studies go linking cancer to high protein consumption.....I've read that many were done using protein 'isolates', and thereby inconclusive and/or flawed to begin with. Not to mention that pastured meat may have a vastly different nutrient content than corn/grain fed.......but I haven't seen a study on that yet!

Lynda (Fl)

• Wheat-free for 4 years
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2013, 11:00:27 AM »
Great list, Bill.  I see several things there and in later postings that interest me for future reading.  I just finished  The Meat Fix by John Nicholson.  He has little new info for WBer's but his story is amazing.  He had to reclaim his health from 26 yrs of veganism. I loved his snarky British wit, kept me laughing from cover to cover.  My symptoms weren't as horrendous as his but I can relate.  The best parts of the book (for me) were his views back to his families eating habits and the extreme differences in fifty years.  I am 64 and I remember eating like he did and I remember my family changing their eating habits to protect my step-father's health after his heart attack.  Lots of margarine, low-low fat and lots of carbs; maybe, that's why he only made it another seven years and died at 51?  And maybe why I need this forum?  We talk a lot about changed eating patterns in America and it's hard to remember just exactly what we did eat over fifty years ago, this books helps.

Barbara from New Jersey

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2013, 11:52:27 AM »
Lynda,

The list of books is pretty impressive!
Very nice to be able to discuss things with informed people.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2013, 06:11:05 AM by Barbara from New Jersey »

Lynda (Fl)

• Wheat-free for 4 years
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2013, 12:26:19 PM »
It sure is, Barbara.  I've learned so much here. 

Jan in Key West

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2013, 03:14:33 PM »
Ordered "Grain Brain" by neurologist, David Perlmutter.....a WB approach via the brain. Dr. D wrote a positive review somewhere, maybe in the forward. Anyway, along with some of the supplemental recommendations of WB, he also lists tumeric/curcumin as having healing properties.

[font=.HelveticaNeueUI]http://www.whfoods.com/genpage.php?tname=foodspice&dbid=78[/font]

Barbara from New Jersey

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 15, 2013, 05:12:10 PM »

Jan,

Interesting article about tumeric. I can vouch for its effectiveness regarding pulled muscles.  I was gardening on a fairly steep hill and somehow pulled the muscles in my calf and heel, like plantar fasciitis.  It got so painful that I could barely walk.  Prescription painkillers just made me sick to my stomach.  I began taking Advil constantly.  No amount of rest, ice, elevation etc. seemed to help much.  Even therapeutic massages (like rolfing) were temporary fixes. Bought new shoes.  Went to a chiropractor. The pain kept coming back.  Couldn't bend down without pain.  Physical therapy, nadda.  Months and months went by.  Yamuna body rolling in yoga helped a lot, but the pain would still come back.
I was given a sample packet of Curamin by Terry Naturally at a health food store.  Worked so well that I went back to the store the next day and bought a bottle of the pills. This is a special combination of Tumeric complex, boswella complex and nattokinase. The muscles healed in less than a month! I did try using Vitamin Shoppe brand, but not nearly as effective as the Curamin. 
« Last Edit: September 16, 2013, 05:54:33 AM by Barbara from New Jersey »

Jan in Key West

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 16, 2013, 05:26:50 AM »
Barbara.....Yes, apparently not all turmeric is created equal! Dr. Mercola has a product that he insists is 'cleaner' than most....if and when I decide I want to add that to my mix, I'll probably order from him since that is where I get my VIT D spray. Right now, I'm concentrating on doing the new VSL#3 probiotic and fermented food combination thing.....

Barbara from New Jersey

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 16, 2013, 06:43:06 AM »
Jan,

You got it!  All these changes are happening faster and faster.  I can hardly keep up. 

You mentioned pastured, grass fed beef being on menus in Long island, NY in another post.  I happily noticed that here and also that my area supermarkets now carrying 1 lb. packages of ground beef. Supermarkets carrying grassed, pastured beef!  I just need to learn to adapt my way of cooking this beef since it cooks faster and needs moisture. 

Then, there is the finding and trying dairy products.  All organic milks and creams and even regular creams are ultra-pasteurized and do not taste good to me anymore (boiled at 280-320*) and don't provide much in the way of nutrients.   The market provides!  All of a sudden there are several brands offering low temperature pasteurized and non homogenized products,from grass fed,organic and well cared for cows. 

Those VSL#3 reactions I had have stopped, seems that I took too much too soon.  As for fermented foods, I, too, bought Bubbies sauerkraut and drained it, adding bacon fat, caraway S&P to make it taste better.  Even used it with brussels sprouts sautéed in bone broth, a bit of bacon fat and a cut up sausage.  Always hated brussels sprouts because they were overcooked, but thats another story.

Keep us posted on your adventure into fermented foods!  As overwhelmed as I feel sometimes with all these "new ways of doing things",  I am so happy feel energetic again.  Smile on my face and sprint in my step! 
« Last Edit: September 19, 2013, 06:12:53 AM by Barbara from New Jersey »

Bob Niland (Boundless)

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 16, 2013, 02:40:56 PM »
Cancer as a Metabolic Disease: On the Origin, Management, and Prevention of Cancer
 by Thomas Seyfried
My capsule review at WBB.

The Fat Switch, by Richard J. Johnson. M.D. (Mercola pub.)
Explains the metabolism of fructose, and why you need to drive consumption of it to minimum. If you've already gone low-carb grain-free, and cut sugars to nil, you don't need to read this book. But if you're curious, or think that organic agave nectar is just swell, check it out. Johnson doesn't seem to be aware of the problems with gluten bearing grains, other than identifying wheat as the #1 source of fructans, from which the obese may make their own fructose. Fructose isn't the fat switch, by the way (uric acid is), but fructose is the biggest finger on that switch. You can only get hardcopy from Mercola. Amazon has a kindle ed.

Barbara from New Jersey

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 19, 2013, 06:26:46 AM »
Dr. Davis has chosen The Grain Brain book as his new topic!  Yet another tome written by a credible person.  Sure it doesn't agree with mainstream thinking, but we have all felt the emotional results of being grain and sugar free.  Even with plateaus and setbacks, I'd venture to guess that we are happier, calmer, less irritable and enjoying our daily lives and activities much more than before WB.

Buddha said: " All that we are is the result of what we have thought. The mind is everything.  What you think you become.  When our mind is pure, joy flows like a shadow that never leaves."

This is where all our efforts to eat "cleaner" food leads to.  People react to your calmness and smile instead of being rude and pushy.  Nice.

Jan in Key West

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 19, 2013, 08:28:22 AM »
Re: Grain Brain.....not only emotional stability, but following the VLCBK lifestyle, in addition to eliminating the potential for cancer,  diabetes etc.,  we may circumvent a future filled with all kinds of neurological disorders....dementia, altzheimers, parkinsons, MS to name a few.

I'm only half-way through the book, but have jumped ahead and it appears Dr. Perlman has some additional supplements he recommends for brain health.....I imagine we'll continue this discussion in the future.  This is an important book!

Rita

• Administrator
  • A student of nutrition
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 20, 2013, 09:40:32 AM »
Thanks Jan.   Interesting that he recommends taking probiotics on an empty stomach.

lyra

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 25, 2013, 07:32:37 AM »
Just got my copy of "Grain Brain." I can't wait to get started. And I can't get rid of the italics on this post either! :o

Lynda (Fl)

• Wheat-free for 4 years
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 03, 2013, 12:58:45 PM »
Just finished Grain Brain, a great read.  Now I'm starting Cholesterol Clarity.  Has anyone finished this one?  Was it any good?  Thanks for the list, Bill.  Next I think it might be Genocide.  I tend to read several at a time.  I find these books help me to stay on track.

bill

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 03, 2013, 02:30:46 PM »
Cholesterol Clarity was very good.  An
easy read and reinforced many things
recently learned regarding blood numbers.
Well worth it.

Lynda (Fl)

• Wheat-free for 4 years
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 04, 2013, 10:05:56 AM »
I decided to read both :D  They are both very good books. The sidebars, as the author calls them in Genocide, are amusing.  His response to his own illness and treating patients reminds me of Dr. Davis.

Jan in Key West

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 29, 2013, 12:54:56 PM »
I enjoy reading Dr. Michael Eades blog, especially his book reviews and recommendations......he's never steered me wrong yet! Today, he featured the book, "The Basic Laws of Human Stupidity" by Carlos Cipolla....his review is below and it sure explains ALOT!  8)

http://www.proteinpower.com/drmike/

arlin

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 29, 2013, 06:37:46 PM »
Jan thank you so much for posting the link. I just finished watching the video on debunking the cholesterol scare. Very interesting!! Makes you wonder just how many of the things we've been lead to believe are outright lies that someone managed to get put forth in order to satisfy a political view or make a name for themselves, money, power, etc. Sickening!!

Lynda (Fl)

• Wheat-free for 4 years
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 07, 2013, 02:07:31 PM »
I have several of the above books on my Kindle but have recently gotten sidetracked into diabetes books.  My sister has that and is unstable.  I have known diabetic symptoms since I was an EMT forty years ago; they are all the same.  Oddly, there is very little mention about the fact some diabetics lose weight.  I have read six books and ONE mentioned this symptom.  If you go into university sites, etc., you will find it but not in the current 'popular' books on nutrition or it will be glossed over.  I hope we don't get so fixated on over weight that we lose track of weight loss as being just as serious.  If you don't know why you are losing or gaining, it's a big red flag.  I've known people to be overjoyed by their unexplained weight loss only to find they are seriously ill.  Forty years ago they were more particular about what foods you ate in one meal, too.  No grains and starchy foods together back then, for a diabetic.  Not that people listened any better. 

Lynda (Fl)

• Wheat-free for 4 years
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 08, 2013, 08:24:14 AM »
Jan, I loved the book on stupidity.  Not only was it hilarious, it was spot on.  I particularly liked the DIY graphs in the back!  Too funny.

Jan in Key West

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 08, 2013, 09:07:31 AM »
Lynda....glad you liked it! Michael Eades is always 'spot on' with his book recommendations....as well as his nutritional advice. I had to order from Italy (no kindle) and decided to order several to put in holiday baskets this year.

Linda R

« Reply #26 on: December 01, 2013, 08:17:12 AM »
Also,
The Great Cholesterol Con by Malcomb Kendrick

http://www.amazon.com/The-Great-Cholesterol-Con-Disease/dp/1844546101

One of my favorite outspoken foes of statins, does not mince words!

Barbara from New Jersey

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 01, 2013, 09:37:01 AM »

Dr. Davis has chosen The Grain Brain book as his new topic!  Yet another tome written by a credible person.  Sure it doesn't agree with mainstream thinking, but we have all felt the emotional results of being grain and sugar free.  Even with plateaus and setbacks, I'd venture to guess that we are happier, calmer, less irritable and enjoying our daily lives and activities much more than before WB.

Buddha said: " All that we are is the result of what we have thought. The mind is everything.  What you think you become.  When our mind is pure, joy flows like a shadow that never leaves."

This is where all our efforts to eat "cleaner" food leads to.  People react to your calmness and smile instead of being rude and pushy.  Nice.

bill

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 01, 2013, 10:27:53 AM »
The Art and Science of Low Carbohydrate Living by Jeff Volek, PhD, RD and Stephen Phinney, MD, PhD
[/size]and
[/size]The Art and Science of Low Carbohydrate Performance by Jeff Volek and Stephen Phinney
[/size]
[/size]Both excellent books that give the science behind LCHF.  It reinforced for me that there
[/size]is an induction period of about 2 weeks to a month.  During this time, people may
[/size]have difficulty adjusting to a low carb diet.  They gave an analogy that getting into
[/size]LCHF is like flying to Hawaii from the West Coast.  You cannot fly partway
[/size]there.  You must fly all the way there or you will be miserable and it is useless.

Lynda (Fl)

• Wheat-free for 4 years
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 01, 2013, 11:41:29 AM »
Thanks, Bill, this looks like another one I need to read.  Heavily limiting carbs is my next major hurdle.

Lynda (Fl)

• Wheat-free for 4 years
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: December 01, 2013, 12:35:21 PM »
Anyone on the forum can tell you I'm a vit D believer.  In case of further interest, here are the books that got me to nag my poor dr. into testing mine (best decision I've made lately).
The Vitamin D Solution,  Michael F. Holick
Vitamin D: Is This The Miracle Vitamin?,  Ian Wishart
Power of Vitamin D New Scientific Research Links Vitamin D Deficiency to Cancer, etc....  , Sarfraz  Zaidi
The Miraculous Results of Extremely High Doses of Vitamin D, Jeff T. Bowles
(The last book was the one that made my mind up for me.  It's his journal from using himself as his own personal lab rat!  Not scientific, but I liked it.)

Barbara from New Jersey

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: December 01, 2013, 01:27:12 PM »
Lynda,

Years ago, Oprah had several shows about Vitamin D3 and recommended a 1000 or 2000 iu. dose which was unheard of at the time.  I remember asking my Doctor about this and he looked at me as if I was speaking in an alien tongue.  I trusted Oprah more than my Doctor!  I took the 1000 iu. for a while.  Then I saw many articles about much higher limits.  Upped my daily dose to 2000.  Then 3,000 and now 6000 iu. 

Now you've posted more resources…..thank you.  It does take a very long time to heal when you are older, probably because we have more years of deficiency to make up for (health issues). One of the big issues about vitamin D3 absorption is having bowel issues - that is, leaky gut!   Although I have always taken a good quality multi-vitamin, my thinking has changed to Dave Asprey's targeted approach.  He spoke about this at the Gluten Summit and on this web site. 

Can't wait to  find and read these books!  Thanks again for posting them.
« Last Edit: December 27, 2013, 08:50:40 AM by Barbara from New Jersey »

arlin

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: December 01, 2013, 09:32:16 PM »
My naturopath put me on 50,000 IU Vitamin D3 once a week. Been doing this for awhile and I feel fine on this dose. I think it's finally beginning to make a difference in how I feel. Nails are stronger, hair is getting thicker as well. Those are the things I can see. I'm sure there are some wonderful things taking place on the inside as well.

Lynda (Fl)

• Wheat-free for 4 years
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: December 01, 2013, 10:59:56 PM »
I'm sure you are getting lots of help, Arlin.  I got thicker nails, moister skin, longer time in the sun before burning, skin precancers  have improved and disappeared.  These are grow backs from nito removals I had done.  It probably helped boost my thyroid and that's bringing back toe and finger hair that should be there to show I still have circulaiton in legs and arms.  I'm sure other systems must have been strengthened and I just can't tell.  I noticed the moisterizing effects on my skin fairly soon and the rest dropped in independently throughout the year.  I had started taking the huge dose before I saw much improvement.  My dr went from being uninspired by the thought of d3 but now claims he tells all his patients they need testing and he tells me to just keep taking it for awhile.  I sure like to think I am part of the process that turned him around 180 and it will benefit others.

arlin

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: December 02, 2013, 06:18:33 AM »
No doubt you were part of the process Lynda and good for you! :) I'm happy to hear that you've had so many improvements with the D3. I'm looking forward to seeing and feeling even more in my future. My skin started getting a lot softer after I cut the carbs and introduced so many more good fats into my diet. If it gets any softer I'll melt! LOL

What I'm really hoping for is even more improvement in the gut issues. I know that what took years to destroy will not mend in a week or two, but I'm very excited about the prospect of having a healthy gut again, and hence, a healthier immune system! And I have a few small "bumps" on my skin as well that I hope will go away.

Lynda (Fl)

• Wheat-free for 4 years
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: December 02, 2013, 09:31:56 AM »
You've got to be benefiting if your skin is improving.  Hang in there, Arlin, it will happen.

VibeRadiant

« Reply #36 on: December 08, 2013, 04:19:48 PM »
Nourishing Traditions by Sally Fallon

I found a free PDF version of this book. Can't upload it as it is too big. Anyone want it, PM me with your email address and I will send it to you.

Jan in Key West

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: December 27, 2013, 08:35:43 AM »
Arrived back in flip-flopville last night.....biked over this morning to 2 hr. vinyasa class on the beach.....and will spend the afternoon reading "Death by Food Pyramid" by Denise Minger which was delivered in my absence! Yah!

Rita

• Administrator
  • A student of nutrition
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: December 27, 2013, 01:56:57 PM »
I didn't realize that was the name of the book Denise Minger wrote.  You'll have to tell us about it.  I love the way she debunked the China Study.

bill

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: December 28, 2013, 10:26:19 AM »
Just finished Death by Food Pyramid by Denise Minger.

It does not advocate WB nor low carb as much as you might think.

She has a definite style that is alternately fun and tedious.

It has some useful recommendations, especially regarding
meat consumption.

I do recommend reading it.

VibeRadiant

« Reply #40 on: December 28, 2013, 12:36:20 PM »
Speaking of the food pyramid, in a recent youtube video of a talk that Nora Gedgaudas made, she says something to the effect of "the food pyramid is deadly, a pyramid is a tomb after all", I had to rewind it to listen to it again.

Rita

• Administrator
  • A student of nutrition
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: December 31, 2013, 08:54:07 AM »
Just picked up Chris Kresser's new book on Your Personal Paleo Code, which was just launched today.  ( Saw it in a book store yesterday, so I picked up a copy)  http://www.amazon.com/Your-Personal-Paleo-Code-Reverse

Really great read so far.

Jan in Key West

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: December 31, 2013, 10:22:33 AM »
Randal,
Agree with you regarding "Death by Food Pyramid" ..........while it is worth the read and a concisely written saga of how our human diet got so screwed up, I'm not sure I learned any new information other than Ancel Keys was the 'K' behind K-rations!

Jan in Key West

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: February 24, 2014, 04:57:17 AM »
Here's Dr. Eades review of Denise Minger's "Death By Food Pyramid".......

http://www.proteinpower.com/drmike/low-carb-library/death-food-pyramid/

scrupulousgirl

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: February 24, 2014, 11:38:00 AM »
I hope that I haven't missed a separate post and creating a duplicate here, but wanted to let those of you know who will be interested in the upcoming Sally Fallon book on Bone Broth. I am finally working up the courage to try it and I think I will do the Slow Cooker method.

Here's a Link for the new book due out September 30th

'Nourishing Broth: An Old-Fashioned Remedy for the Modern World'

http://www.amazon.com/Nourishing-Broth-Old-Fashioned-Remedy-Modern/dp/1455529222/ref=tmm_pap_title_0

Also, in August is Jimmy Moore's new book Keto Clarity:

http://www.amazon.com/Keto-Clarity-Jimmy-Moore/dp/1628600071/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1393267152&sr=8-1&keywords=keto+clarity

« Last Edit: February 24, 2014, 11:39:48 AM by scrupulousgirl »

Rita

• Administrator
  • A student of nutrition
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: March 11, 2014, 01:56:17 PM »
I'm reading The Perfect Health Diet right now.  Absolutely fascinating.   It's a required book for one of my classes.   I highly recommend it.  Mark Sisson from Mark's Daily Apple did the forward on it.

VibeRadiant

« Reply #46 on: March 13, 2014, 01:58:34 PM »
I'm reading The Calorie Myth by Jonathan Bailor, with a foreword by Dr William Davis. 

scrupulousgirl

• View Profile
« Reply #47 on: April 17, 2014, 05:15:39 PM »
Does anyone have snow opinion on Ben Greenfield's a Beyond Training and can share some thoughts if you've checked it out?

http://www.amazon.com/Beyond-Training-Mastering-Endurance-Health/dp/1628600128/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1397776340&sr=8-1&keywords=Beyond+training

Is it strictly for Athletes or would it be at all beneficial for non-athletes, too?

Thanks!

Bailey

Barbara from New Jersey

• View Profile
« Reply #48 on: April 17, 2014, 07:07:38 PM »
I read some of the Amazon comments which were excellent.  They mentioned that Greenfield has a podcast.  Why don't you spend some time listening to his talks to determine if he would be suitable for you before you buy his books?  I'm not an athlete.  My eyes roll when the discussion revolves around increasing your marathon experience!  It is hard for me to relate to that.

scrupulousgirl

• View Profile
« Reply #49 on: April 17, 2014, 07:25:16 PM »
I read some of the Amazon comments which were excellent.  They mentioned that Greenfield has a podcast.  Why don't you spend some time listening to his talks to determine if he would be suitable for you before you buy his books?  I'm not an athlete.  My eyes roll when the discussion revolves around increasing your marathon experience!  It is hard for me to relate to that.

I will look into the Podcast, Barbara. Good idea. I don't care much about the deep athletics stuff either and I read some of the Reviews on Amazon as well. I'm the type I think everyone we "meet" has something to teach us. I was concerned Greenfield's work may be too over my head. Trying to get through 'The a Calorie Myth' this weekend.

Wheat Free Forum

« Reply #49 on: April 17, 2014, 07:25:16 PM »

Sponsored Links