This forum is created by people who follow the Wheat Belly Diet, as a place to communicate with each other about various topics. Please note that this site is a user created site, and not one of Dr. Davis' sites.

Author Topic: Coconut Oil  (Read 14242 times)

Barbara from New Jersey

• View Profile
Coconut Oil
« on: September 20, 2013, 06:32:00 AM »
I'm hoping one of you may be able to help me with a small concern. I recently went to Costco with a friend.  I purchased the 54 oz size of Carrington Farms of pure, unrefined, cold pressed, organic, extra virgin coconut oil for about $16.  Wow, what a bargain I thought! 

My concern is that the coconut flavor is rather strong and permeates my bulletproof coffee, sautéed items and baked goods.  I thought that the coconut flavor becomes strong when the oil is heated for processing, the higher the heat, the stronger the flavor/smell.  I've never had this with the other brands I have used.  While I don't find this unpleasant, I would rather not have to buy another brand for items where the coconut essence would not be welcomed.

Do you think this is just this batch or is this typical of the brand?

Rita

• Administrator
  • A student of nutrition
    • View Profile
Re: Coconut Oil
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2013, 09:37:28 AM »
I have the Nutiva brand, which I purchased at Costco.  It's in a big container.   I can't get myself to do the bulletproof coffee because the coconut flavor is too strong for me.   I've never liked the taste of coconut.   I just figured that was what coconut oil tasted like.   

As much as I'd like to get CO in, I just can't stomach it.   I do a lot more avocado oil, which I also buy at Costco.   It's mostly a monounsaturated fat

I wonder how avocado oil would taste in my coffee.   

Here's a good post I found on fats:

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/healthy-oils/#axzz2fRncZI5C

aspexil

• Went wheat free end of Feb 2013
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2013, 10:14:19 AM »
I have tried a variety of coconut oils (cold pressed, organic, etc) from different manufacturers at our local health food store and they all have a coconut taste that does come through even with cooking.  I just assumed that is the way it is as no one brand seems to have less taste than the other. 

Loanne

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2013, 10:15:14 AM »
I've been thinking about getting a membership to Costco, but it's only me and 3 cats!  Hard to justify.  I keep forgetting to put coconut oil in my coffee.  I LOVE the flavor of coconut.  Just been buying the unrefined pure brand at the Co-op.  Seems to go fast though.

Barbara from New Jersey

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2013, 10:47:35 AM »
Loanne,

I feel the same way!  I hate buying in bulk and having to store the items.  Yes, items are individually cheaper but will I save enough to cover the $55 membership fee and inconvenience of using up my limited storage space? 

I figured out that if you have a friend who is a member who would be willing to purchase a gift card for you (you give them the cash), then you can shop without paying the membership fee or just go along with them when they shop.  Some Costco's do sell gas so if the place is close enough, the membership might be worth it.  You might check out the cost of cat food though.  There is a web site that might show your brand. 

The coconut oil I used to use was Jarrow Formula, organic, made from expeller pressed dried copra with no solvents.  No smell or taste was evident.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2013, 03:43:06 AM by Barbara from New Jersey »

VibeRadiant

« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2013, 03:53:49 PM »
Some coconut oils go through of deodorizing process which removes the taste and smell of coconut. But I don't think it is truly virgin after it goes through this process.

Linda R

« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2013, 10:34:53 AM »
Just ran across this article. Very heart-warming, and promising as well.

http://coconutoil.com/coconut-oil-reverses-the-effects-of-alzheimers-in-50-year-old-woman/

I think I will continue to live on this stuff.
Been using it as a conditioner in my hair.
I am putting it on my feet after a shower to combat dry skin.
I rub it into my hands off and on during the day, again for dry skin which is a problem in the winter.
I am also applying it to a weird rash that has been on my ankle bone for MONTHS and the rash is slowly disappearing.
And, of course, for baking and my coffee every AM.

mosey

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2013, 07:22:37 AM »
I showed DH how coconut oil was good for our dry winter skin & my jar ended up in the bathroom.

Barbara from New Jersey

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2013, 07:30:54 AM »
I filled a small container with coconut oil and use it for skin cream too.  I like it.  Does anyone leave it near the heat so it is more like an oil?

deanna in AR

• WF Sept. 2011
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 15, 2013, 08:36:00 AM »
I use LouAna Coconut Oil (from our local Walmart). The only ingredient shown is coconut oil. It is labeled non hydrogenated and a non-GMO derived food with 0 trans fat. The label says "Refined from the meat of mature coconuts so there is no coconut flavor or aroma." I can detect no taste or smell.

VibeRadiant

« Reply #10 on: December 15, 2013, 08:45:38 AM »
I've looked at Walmart for coconut oil and I cannot find it. This is a Walmart in Ottawa Canada of course and it isn't a superstore (produce, tires and everything else under the sun).
And when I've asked the walmart employees to look it up in their database they say that they can't search by item name only scan code. 

I am seriously thinking of buying a membership to Costco just for cheaper coconut oil.

Linda R

« Reply #11 on: December 15, 2013, 10:40:50 AM »
I filled a small container with coconut oil and use it for skin cream too.  I like it.  Does anyone leave it near the heat so it is more like an oil?

You bet. I keep a jar in my oven, it is a gas oven with a pilot light and that provides just enough warmth to keep the oil liquid and pour-able for morning coffee and baking needs.
I also poured a small amount into a 2-3 oz custard dish and that sits on my bathroom counter, by the sink. I use that for applying to that rash and for after-shower applications.

Linda R

« Reply #12 on: December 15, 2013, 10:43:45 AM »
I've looked at Walmart for coconut oil and I cannot find it. This is a Walmart in Ottawa Canada of course and it isn't a superstore (produce, tires and everything else under the sun).
And when I've asked the walmart employees to look it up in their database they say that they can't search by item name only scan code. 

I am seriously thinking of buying a membership to Costco just for cheaper coconut oil.

Dr. Vita still has coconut oil on sale if you're interested.........................
http://www.drvita.com/product/drvita-extra-virgin-certified-organic-coconut-oil-54fl-oz/8882

Jan in Key West

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 24, 2014, 05:17:02 PM »
All the wonderful uses of coconut oil......my massage therapist began using only coconut oil this year on all her clients.....

http://raddestmom.com/tag/coconut-oil-sex-lube/

Rita

• Administrator
  • A student of nutrition
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 24, 2014, 07:07:17 PM »
Definitely some creative uses!

Barbara from New Jersey

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 25, 2014, 06:36:45 AM »
Dr. Carolyn Dean recommends a drop of sesame oil in your nose.  This soothes the membrane, prevents dust, viruses and irritants from settling in and even is absorbed to help heal your irritated passages, thus decreasing the swelling.  It helps clean out the dried mucus.  Eden brands produces a raw sesame oil which Dr. Dean recommends.  This is rather inexpensive and lasts a long time.  Nearly any raw WB approved oil will do.  Just make sure it is fresh and no additives or chemicals used to refine it. 

I've used a dropper and and old bottle that I cleaned with boiled water and poured the sesame oil in.  Just 1 small drop in each nostril, head leaned back, and a few sniffs.  You can use a q-tip too, but the drop method is easier in my opinion.   

Dr. Dean calls this "nasal lubrication".  Darned if it doesn't work well!  I highly recommend.  Our "Suddenly Spring" weather has everything blooming at once.  I have had minimal reactions!  What a relief! 

Loanne

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 25, 2014, 09:12:56 AM »
I use coconut oil to remove my makeup at night...works really well and doesn't irritate my skin, which is very sensitive. I've tried using it as a moisturizer, but it soaks in fast and leaves my skin kind of parched.  I use it a lot, though, for things other than eating.  Good for fingernails and cuticles.

deanna in AR

• WF Sept. 2011
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 25, 2014, 09:26:58 AM »
I made chicken strips breaded with coconut flour last week (I know, a slightly different subject) and I could taste the slightly sweet taste...don't really like that. Next time I'll try almond flour. I don't like coconut shrimp either.

Jan in Key West

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 25, 2014, 10:51:54 AM »
Deanna,
Like you, I'm not wild about using coconut flour as breading.....but I did find something else that works for us. I ordered some heritage pork rinds from Wellness meats and while we ate a few as snacks, I crushed the rest up and have been using it as a breading for chicken, and tonight will try pork chops. The rinds are cooked in pig fat, zero carbs.....might work well as a breading for my eggplant parm too.

deanna in AR

• WF Sept. 2011
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 25, 2014, 01:30:10 PM »
Yes, we eat pork rinds sometimes...especially if we're traveling. It makes a good snack. And I think it was just last week that I saw a recipe using it as breading. Can't remember if you had to add anything or not...not salt because they're already salty. Good idea for eggplant parm!

Jan in Key West

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 25, 2014, 06:51:54 PM »
Deanna,
Regarding the coconut shrimp....I dip shrimp in a coconut milk/egg mixture, then coat with unsweetened shredded coconut (you could throw in a few drops of stevia if desired).....sauté in ghee (my preference) and they brown beautifully and taste great. We buy large quantities of shrimp from the docks, boil till pink, dunk in ice water, de-shell and devein....then freeze in whatever amounts we think we'll need for future dinners.......stir frys, shrimp scampi, skewered, grilled and drizzled with butter, shrimp cocktails, etc. The last time I made coconut shrimp, I added some red pepper flakes and it had a nice, spicy flavor.

Oh and Rita.....your fermented ketchup, when you add lots of pure horseradish, it makes an ideal cocktail sauce!

deanna in AR

• WF Sept. 2011
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 26, 2014, 02:56:13 PM »
Jan, I love all that shrimp except coconut shrimp. It's the sweetness that I don't like. Seems like shrimp is something that should not be sweet :))

Your fermented ketchup for cocktail sauce sounds delicious. I love horseradish. Also love raw oysters and char broiled oysters. Yumm.

ldyrdr4311

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 30, 2014, 11:19:04 AM »
Will someone please explain the benefits of having coconut oil in coffee, & how much they use per cup?
I'm just starting to use coconut oil, & have found that the LouAna brand available in the few chain stores around here (14 oz. jar) doesn't have any coconut taste to it at all. It sure beats using Crisco! Much healthier to use also.

Loanne

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 30, 2014, 11:27:56 AM »
Rita, could you post your recipe for fermented ketchup?  I miss having that....

I've used several brands of coconut oil and all seem fine to me.  From the quite pricey to the cheap.  But I love coconut and the essence doesn't bother me at all.  I can tell how much it has when I eat my spoonful of fat morning, noon, and night. Getting so it slides right down!  :)

ldyrdr4311

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 11, 2014, 12:47:04 PM »
Deanna,
Regarding the coconut shrimp....I dip shrimp in a coconut milk/egg mixture, then coat with unsweetened shredded coconut (you could throw in a few drops of stevia if desired).....sauté in ghee (my preference) and they brown beautifully and taste great. We buy large quantities of shrimp from the docks, boil till pink, dunk in ice water, de-shell and devein....then freeze in whatever amounts we think we'll need for future dinners.......stir frys, shrimp scampi, skewered, grilled and drizzled with butter, shrimp cocktails, etc. The last time I made coconut shrimp, I added some red pepper flakes and it had a nice, spicy flavor.

Oh and Rita.....your fermented ketchup, when you add lots of pure horseradish, it makes an ideal cocktail sauce!

Jan: Where on earth do you find pure horseradish? All the brands around here have all sorts of junk added to it, among them is soy, which I try to avoid like the plague (difficult to do, as it's in nearly everything).
We don't have Whole Foods, Trader Joes, Costco, etc. here at all.
ldyrdr4311

Barbara from New Jersey

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 11, 2014, 01:33:37 PM »
I think you make it yourself.  Horseradish is a tuber.  You grate it and add vinegar and a few other spices.  You can find this in most stores in the vegetable department.  It is long, white/creamy and can get much wider than a carrot.  Lots of specific recipes on line.  This is excellent added to a creamy sauce and served with meat. 

ldyrdr4311

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 11, 2014, 04:10:52 PM »
I think you make it yourself.  Horseradish is a tuber.  You grate it and add vinegar and a few other spices.  You can find this in most stores in the vegetable department.  It is long, white/creamy and can get much wider than a carrot.  Lots of specific recipes on line.  This is excellent added to a creamy sauce and served with meat.

Barbara:
Not too gung ho on grating horseradish myself. It's 10 times worse than grating an onion! My late m-i-l used to do it, & let me tell you, that stuff burns your eyes pretty bad. This was many years ago, & my DH remembers how bad the strong smell was in the kitchen when she made it. I'll have to talk to my s-I-l and see if she remembers what Ma used to put in it. I do know that hers was grated, but no sauce was made with it. The men put it straight on the meat, usually pork or beef, maybe homemade sausage as well.
This root is very hard, & I have heard of people ruining their food processors when they tried it, so don't try that. My m-i-l used one of those old clamp-on (it clamped onto the edge of a table; hers was an old-fashioned metal enameled one) meat grinders to grind it, & added vinegar, and maybe a touch of salt to it. That was all.

Lila

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 11, 2014, 06:29:14 PM »
Like deanna I also use LouAna brand. I have bought it at Walmart and Kroger. No taste of coconut at all.

I bought a big jar of organic CO at Sam's but haven't opened it yet. I hope it doesn't have a strong taste.

Jan in Key West

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 11, 2014, 07:07:26 PM »
Hi Idy,
Just returned from a four day yoga retreat at the Sivinanda ashram in the Bahamas...and BTW the retreat was awesome! But it really is hard to catch up here! I buy the horseradish root from my local health food store and plop in in my Ninja....pulverize, then use it in wherever it's needed....add it to my homemade mayo for prime rib.....or add it to fermented ketchup for cocktail sauce. It's also awesome in meatloaf. I use it straight.

Barbara from New Jersey

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 12, 2014, 02:27:20 AM »
Idyr,

Many stores sell dried, ground horseradish in their spice sections.  While not as good as using fresh, it is convenient and you can add it to any sauce or rub for a zesty piquant taste.  You can buy it on line as well.  Penzey's carries it.  There are many recipes on line ranging from adding apples to cream sauces or spicy cocktail type sauces.  Delish when a small amount is added to mayo. or even mustard. 

I didn't have any difficulty finding and shredding the root.  I purchased a very small one, peeled, cubed and shredded it in my food processor.  Used it for an apple/horseradish condiment for pork.  I froze the remaining horseradish in TBS. sized mounds in baggies. 

I purchase the smallest, thinnest pieces I can find to avoid dealing with the very hard core.  This is what can ruin your machine or blade.  Fresh or frozen works best, but the dried is good too.  Certainly more convenient!

BASIC DRIED HORSERADISH CONVERSION RECIPE

2TBS dried horseradish
1TBS vinegar or wine
1TBS water
salt to taste

ldyrdr4311

• View Profile
« Reply #30 on: May 12, 2014, 10:55:55 AM »
Barbara from NJ & Jan:
  Thanks for your suggestions. Just happen to be going to Penzy's next week & will look for the dried horseradish. Never have seen the frozen in any store, only the jarred type, w/too many other things in it.
  Also, I plan on finally getting a food processor for the first time, but I won't be trying the horseradish on that. Can't wait to be playing with this new kitchen toy on vegetables, especially cabbage. It takes too long to grate by hand in my book
  Going to see if there's a small horseradish root around in one of the grocery stores first & see what I can do with it on the manual grater.

Ldyrdr 

Barbara from New Jersey

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 12, 2014, 11:16:11 AM »
Idyr,

The Ninja works well when you cook for 1 or 2 people.  Not as expensive as a Cuisinart and doesn't take up much room either.  Shop around.  These  usually are on sale.  The large Cuisinart type food processors are terrific, but heavy to keep putting in a cabinet and lugging it out.  Takes a while to clean too.  The main consideration is to decide how many people  you cook for on a daily basis or how many parties you provide chopped food for on a fairly regular basis. 

Wheat Free Forum

« Reply #31 on: May 12, 2014, 11:16:11 AM »

Sponsored Links