This forum is created by people who follow the Wheat Belly Diet, as a place to communicate with each other about various topics. Please note that this site is a user created site, and not one of Dr. Davis' sites.

Author Topic: Anyone who is struggling and has not had great success with WF?  (Read 3703 times)

Mistyblue

• View Profile
Anyone who is struggling and has not had great success with WF?
« on: September 21, 2013, 05:36:51 AM »
As I mentioned in an earlier post, I have been
wheatfree for almost 7 months. I don't feel a
big difference physically...and no more weight loss,
as a matter of fact gained 2-3 lbs over the summer.
Just a few questions: how much do you think
load of stress would impact on feeling better/weight loss?
Some things I may not be doing right: flavoured coffee,
occassional "more than" recommended amount of
carbs, grain fed meats.
I will be getting my labs done this coming week
for the first time since going wf and dropping
a statin, going to a market to check out grass fed meats.
My typical day: 3- 4 eggs with cocoanut oil,
few blueberries, probiotics at breakfast,
Coffee, mid morning- coffee, sometimes cheese,
new found snack - enerjive Quinoa Skinny crackers,
Lunch - meat, salad or veggies, Greek cocoanut yogurt
Snack - sometimes- Almonds or cheese, Dinner - meat/ veggies
dessert( cheesecake/ PB pie from WB, occassional
low fat frozen yogurt. Some days less than 1 L of water.( I know
not good!!).. glass or two red wine.
I did see a Naturopath who gave me a
meal plan to eliminate dairy( and other foods on a
temp basis) 1 caffeniated beverage,etc...
May need to go there? Thanks for reading this
long winded post! Anyone else with similar
issues?

Barbara from New Jersey

• View Profile
Re: Anyone who is struggling and has not had great success with WF?
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2013, 06:30:47 AM »
Misty,

Why don't you do a carb count of the food you are eating?  Most packages give you this info, or you can do an internet search.   The rule of thumb suggested by Dr. Davis is 15 carbs per meal per 6 hour period and 50 carbs daily. 

Alcohol stops your liver from burning fats for fuel and returns to burning sugars.  This can last several days to a week for each drinking episode depending on how much was imbibed and your individual condition.

Four cups of water doesn't do much to help cleanse your system.  You need to make sure you are better hydrated, doubling or tripling your intake.   

You don't mention any exercise at all.  Even walking around the block would help.

Stress makes your adrenal glands produce more cortisol which also inhibits weight loss.  Too much info to describe the process here.

You don't seem to be eating much in the way of fats either.  Dr. D. recommends increasing the good fat intake.

Increase veggies/fruits to more than half your food intake daily while staying within the 50 carb suggested limit.. 

Usually WB followers don't feel the need to snack since their meal is filling.  You say you have 2 snacks daily AND dessert!  Even WB recipes have carbs and most deserts are supposed to be considered an occasional treat, meaning once a month if at all when you are in weight loss mode.  Your crackers alone have 15 carbs per 2 crackers, more for different flavors.

Since you don't feel better nor have you lost any weight, there must be something stopping the process.  It could be physical (thyroid) that hasn't been diagnosed or your food is contaminated with hidden wheats/grains/sugars. 
« Last Edit: September 21, 2013, 02:28:53 PM by Barbara from New Jersey »

Rita

• Administrator
  • A student of nutrition
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2013, 12:02:46 PM »
Have you had your thyroid tested?

Also look at this post about adrenal fatigue.

Bob Niland (Boundless)

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2013, 02:16:28 PM »
In case you haven't seen it:
http://www.wheatbellyblog.com/2012/10/i-lost-the-wheat-but-didnt-lose-weight-2/

> ... new found snack - enerjive Quinoa Skinny crackers, ...

4 crackers are an entire meal's worth of net carbs, due to the quinoa, millet, buckwheat and honey (which is tricky to discover, as the ingredient list on their web site is in French).

This is a typical GF product from people with good intentions, but who don't know what's important. It's at least not a full-on pandering-to-GF-with-pure-junk product (like Dunkin's new donuts), but you need to limit consumption.

> ... occasional low fat frozen yogurt.

These typically have more sugar per cup than Coke Classic. They are spoon-fed candy clothed in bogus health claims. Even full fat yogurt needs to be checked for carb content.

Might I suggest counting carbs. I suspect you are consuming way more than 15 grams net per meal and 50 per day.

Bellamouse

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2013, 06:42:41 PM »
It also sounds to me as if you measuring your "success" only in terms of weight loss. 
I haven't lost much weight either, although I don't have a ton to lose.  But for me, "success" is feeling amazing, having energy, no more pain in my abdomen, and good blood work, among other things (like clear skin, WAY less anxiety, improved acid reflux).   I could continue on with the benefits I have personally experienced.  Maybe you could spend some time thinking about other things in your life that may have inmproved from your elimination of wheat and feel good about those things (like maybe you're sleeping better?  Lessened acid reflux?  Relief from allergies?).  Obviously you're looking to lose weight and the others have given you good input with regard to that.  But weight is really just a part of one's overall good health and well-being.   Heck, I'd trade being a few pounds overweight for feeling really good any day.  I can enjoy life SOOOO much more when I feel good and have energy.  For that benefit alone it's worth it.

Randal

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2013, 07:48:06 PM »
Boundless, once again, you are amazing.

"Quinoa Skinny crackers." Those marketing guys are earning their money. You take the hip new New Age protein source (which has a carb-to-protein ratio of about 4.5 to 1) and then you add the "Skinny" label to it, as if eating this will make you so. (I don't have a tv, but somehow I heard about some Real Housewife claiming to make $100 million off "Skinny Girl" cocktails. I wish I had the gall to try to convince people that you could drink your way to being thin.)

Mistyblue, it's hard to understand your situation without the facts. How much weight do you want to lose? Are you exercising? How is your waist compared to your height? Why do you drink so little water? My mother taught me never to ask a lady her age, but are you young, middle-aged, or old like me?

Mistyblue

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2013, 05:48:27 AM »
Thanks everyone for the replies..you are all
a great support!
Randal, to answer your questions; I
don't mind telling my age, soon to be 57.
Height - 5'2 and 167 lbs. ( aim to be 137 - 140).
Always exercised, however because of
a very stressful job and a number of life issues
this past year, only occassional walking..often
too exhausted at the end of the day to think about it.
So to sum up: in the past 5 years: new relationship,
moved to a new province( left behind family
& friends), new job with much more responsibility, and super worries about
a 24 yr old son(in another province!).Always been very
conscious about what I eat and exercise...just
need to figure out how to get past this plateau..oh,
water, again either no time in my day, always on
the run! I suspect that the comments about
adrenal fatigue may be a thought?
I did find grass fed meat and free range eggs at
a market yesterday, so that is a good thing!

Barbara from New Jersey

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2013, 06:07:09 AM »
Try keeping a few bottles of water at your desk and in your car.  Drink some on the way to work.  Drink some while sitting at your desk, especially after phone calls!  The small bottles are inconspicuous.  Keeping hydrated is critically important.

Adrenal fatigue often corrects itself, especially when you walk calmly.  It doesn't have to be far.  Most people just really start enjoying the peacefulness and even meditate on their walks.  Not eating sugar helps too.  Many people here never thought they could muster up the energy for a walk.  Some do it before work, leaving shoes for work in the car then walk and drive to work.  Some like lunchtime strolls.  This does not have to be a power walk, and you don't have to work up a sweat.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2013, 08:11:48 AM by Barbara from New Jersey »

Jan in Key West

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2013, 06:22:50 AM »
And make sure to ramp up your healthy fats!

Bob Niland (Boundless)

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2013, 10:18:24 AM »
> Boundless, once again, you are amazing.

Well thanks, but this is pretty basic food self defense that everyone needs to master.

The rule: If it has an NF panel, it may not be food.

It is not safe to consume anything with an NF (Nutrition Facts) panel without first fully comprehending both the NF breakdown and the ingredients list.

If you only look at one thing, it would be net carbs: Carbs per serving, less fiber carbs. Most packaged foods will blow the 15 gram limit right there. You also don't want more than half of the net carbs to be sugars - and total sugars are listed separately.

If you look at two things, the next is for disqualifying ingredients, included but not limited to:
  • gluten-bearing grains (wheat, barley, rye)
  • adverse fats (novel modern omega 6 seed oils such as canola, corn, safflower, soy, sunflower, and hydrogenated anything)
  • high fructose sugars (HFCS of course, agave, honey, even pure fructose)
  • adverse proteins (soy, gluten)
  • diary if you're sensitive
For a more comprehensive list of things to look out for in ingredient lists see Rich Food Poor Food (Carlton & Carlton). I haven't completely read it yet, and it is not fully aware of the wheat problem, but it's packed with great info.

The FDA mandated the NF panel with the idea that we'd choose products that align with the goofy government gobbling guidelines (then the USDA Pyramid Scheme, now USDA MyPlate, which is the lethal low-fat high-carb seed-grain seed-oil diet making everyone fat and sick). Fortunately, the NF information also serves those who choose a real human diet, but you need to know how to read it. And, of course, treat any claims of "healthy", "slim", "skinny", "diet" or "lite" as warning signs (just like GF).

Wheat Free Forum

« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2013, 10:18:24 AM »

Sponsored Links