This forum is created by people who follow the Wheat Belly Diet, as a place to communicate with each other about various topics. Please note that this site is a user created site, and not one of Dr. Davis' sites.

Author Topic: Almond Flour  (Read 15672 times)

Rita

• Administrator
  • A student of nutrition
    • View Profile
Almond Flour
« on: April 22, 2013, 09:19:53 PM »
Let's discuss almond flour in this thread

Janet

• View Profile
Re: Almond Flour
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2013, 02:23:51 PM »
Does it have to be refrigerated or frozen as soon as you open the package?  I don't like the lumps out of the freezer and my frig is full now.  I suppose buying in bulk I have to. 

Bellamouse

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2013, 11:38:50 PM »
I buy 25 lbs at a time (comes in a big box) and divide it up into 3 lb bags using gallon freezer bags.  I store them in my deep freeze in the basement.  I take out a one bag at a time and keep the one bag in the fridge.    No way I could fit all 25 lbs in my fridge at once.  Maybe that helps?

arlin

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2013, 08:15:20 AM »
I buy 25 lbs at a time (comes in a big box)

That's what I'm planning to do as well Bellamouse. Mine is on order (actually it's due to arrive today, yay!) I'm planning to split the bag with my DD so I should be able to find room for it in the fridge. We actually bought another small fridge for the garage because there was no way my poor kitchen fridge could hold it all anymore.  :)

gurliestgirl

• Ashley's Wheat Free Journey
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2013, 10:47:11 AM »
What kind of stores locally are you finding almond flour at? I would prefer not to order online if possible. Any suggestions?  ???

Joan from MN

• Wheat free since 1/20/13
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2013, 11:27:57 AM »
What kind of stores locally are you finding almond flour at? I would prefer not to order online if possible. Any suggestions?  ???
Whole Foods and Trader Joe's, plus the "whole foods" sections of large grocery stores will have almond flour.

gurliestgirl

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2013, 12:00:21 PM »

Bob Niland (Boundless)

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2013, 06:45:46 AM »
We buy:
http://store.honeyvillegrain.com/blanchedalmondflour25lb.aspx

It comes in a blue, folded (not sealed) poly bag that fills the carton. Do not accept the shipment if the carton is damaged (hasn't happened to us yet).

We split it up into containers and/or ziplocks and freeze it.

HVG has frequent sales. If your need isn't urgent, wait for one.

HVG, at some point, is going to need to do something about their hideous company name.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2013, 06:48:39 AM by Boundless »

Joan from MN

• Wheat free since 1/20/13
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2013, 08:48:10 AM »
I've ordered from Honeyville (I agree, Boundless, that the name needs to go), and it's the best almond flour I've used so far.

Jan in Key West

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2013, 02:33:19 PM »
I'm making the carrot muffins and some of Maria E's bread rolls and I just noticed on the recipe page that she doesn't recommend using "Bob's Red Mill" almond flour....she doesn't say why, just that it's different. Well, that's all I've got so am soldering on!  Guess I'll change brands!

arlin

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 27, 2013, 02:44:35 PM »
I may be misspeaking here but it seems to me that I remember reading somewhere on the blog (or possibly the WBCB?) that Bob's Red Mill doesn't press out the extra oil which makes that brand a little more "moist" and not as good for some types of baking recipes. Not that it's a bad brand, just not recommended for all uses. That's all I've used since I started, but just received my new order of almond flour from Nuts.com so I'll be switching soon.

eve

• Wheat Belly since September 2012
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 27, 2013, 10:03:15 PM »
Has anyone tried making almond flour out of almonds in the food processor? If so would you think it saves a little money that way?

Bing

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 30, 2013, 07:09:56 AM »
Has anyone tried making almond flour out of almonds in the food processor? If so would you think it saves a little money that way?

You'll end up with butter before meal / flour.

gurliestgirl

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 30, 2013, 11:45:58 AM »
The guy at the health food store told me it's the stage JUST BEFORE it turns into butter, if that helps

Wheatless in Seattle

• G&SF since Sept 2012
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 30, 2013, 04:55:48 PM »
I use Bob's Red Mill Almond Flour for those items that don't require 'fine' flour.  It's great for the WB foccaccia bread.  I use JK blanched almond flour for the finer baking items such as muffins, cookies, etc.  I order them all from amazon.com as they cost less than buying locally, and with a prime membership, it's free 2-day delivery.  Of course, I don't bake that much, so 25# of flour would be way too much for me.
It's all an experiment - cooking with these new flours - so enjoy the experience and the results! 

arlin

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 30, 2013, 05:03:51 PM »

It's all an experiment - cooking with these new flours - so enjoy the experience and the results!

Indeed it is. But for once in a very long time, I actually have the energy to try out the new recipes. I'm actually have FUN with this. And I know I've just begun this wonderful journey. So much more to learn and discover.

Welcome to the forum Wheatless!

eve

• Wheat Belly since September 2012
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 30, 2013, 11:20:04 PM »

You'll end up with butter before meal / flour.

Well I hear almond butter is not bad! :)

Lynda (Fl)

• Wheat-free for 4 years
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 10, 2013, 12:52:08 PM »
I have used Bob's Red Mill almond flour for my banana muffins and pancakes: it worked well.  I switched to Nuts.com for a better price and it works well also.  I find my muffins have a finer texture if I let the flour come to room temperature (I freeze mine) before mixing and baking.  Nuts.com sends small packs of 'freebees', that have been tasty and that we have reordered, as a bonus. Haven't tried cakes yet.

Linda R

« Reply #18 on: May 10, 2013, 02:26:42 PM »

Yup, been doing it for months. I simply purchase the blanched almonds, usually 16 oz in a container, and process about half at a time.
Works great for me.
I keep my almond flour in the freezer, have had no problems at all.

Teresa

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 10, 2013, 02:42:26 PM »
I think nuts.com has excellent prices on almond flour, especially on the larger quantities.  25 lbs ends up being $4.69/lb. 

Teresa
~Teresa

arlin

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 14, 2013, 05:31:27 PM »
I think nuts.com has excellent prices on almond flour, especially on the larger quantities.  25 lbs ends up being $4.69/lb. 

Teresa

I just got my 25 lb. order from nuts.com about a week ago. Split it with my dd. As it was I got 4 gallon bags full. Love that it's so much less ordering this way. Don't know if I could have handled the whole 25 pounds by myself. Running out of room in the freezer!!

Jan in Key West

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 17, 2013, 09:33:09 AM »
My sister has finally gotten through to her teenage son (he does have man-boobs) so I'm baking some sub buns (Maria Emmerick;s recipe) to take to her house tomorrow......may also do the WB flaxseed crackers and focaccia too!  She's been doing WB since Feb and loves it.....I'm  hoping she will join this forum.

Sula

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 18, 2013, 10:49:54 AM »
I bake quite a bit, and I have always just ground up my own Almonds, AND I dont buy blanched. My baking is probably heavier and moister than if you used a bought brand. I live in a very small kinda remote rural community and ordering food stuff from the states is just not... in my mind, feasable. Am not saying it wouldn't get here, am just thinking of the time frame and the condition once it arrived. So, ya, I just grind up what I need. O! and another thing, I have been useing half sunflower seed flour recently in recipes, it's cheeper to buy sunflower seeds than almonds! Just sayin.

Loanne

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 20, 2013, 09:49:00 AM »
I dredge my chicken pieces in almond flour sometimes...I love it!  I did mix crushed pork rinds with it once, and didn't notice any difference in the flavor, but quit that cause there's something about eating pig skin that bothers me! :(  I keep the heat down on the sauteing of that chicken, however, cause it browns dark easily.  But I love the flavor.  I mix in cayenne pepper, a smidge of sea salt, and it's a wonderful dinner for the next several nights when I get home from work, tired, and don't want to cook.  I just steam a veggie, usually kale or spinach, to have with it, and I'm good!

Sula

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 22, 2013, 07:54:16 PM »
Hmmm I gotta try that, thx for the idea.

Kathy

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 23, 2013, 07:18:32 PM »
I dredge my chicken pieces in almond flour sometimes...I love it!  I did mix crushed pork rinds with it once, and didn't notice any difference in the flavor, but quit that cause there's something about eating pig skin that bothers me! :(  I keep the heat down on the sauteing of that chicken, however, cause it browns dark easily.  But I love the flavor.  I mix in cayenne pepper, a smidge of sea salt, and it's a wonderful dinner for the next several nights when I get home from work, tired, and don't want to cook.  I just steam a veggie, usually kale or spinach, to have with it, and I'm good!

I'm very new to cooking WF (wheat-free) recipes. Thanks for posting this idea for dredging chicken in almond flour. I have some almond meal in the freezer that I haven't opened yet since I'm still learning how I can use it. This sounds like a tasty way to prepare chicken.  ;)
~Kathy~

Weeksie

• Wheat free since 03/11/13
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 23, 2013, 07:34:10 PM »
I'm new to baking too. Only baked cookies and cakes and muffins before WB.  No pie crust. Whoever said "easy as pie" wasn't talking about making pie crust!  So far I've baked cheesy biscuits, focaccia, & pizza crust.  My rule now is if you want your end product light texture, use almond flour (pancakes, muffins);  not so worried about lightness, use almond meal (pizza crust, coating for Parmesan crusted baked chicken).   It's all good!!!

Kathy

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 24, 2013, 07:17:53 AM »
I'm new to baking too. Only baked cookies and cakes and muffins before WB.  No pie crust. Whoever said "easy as pie" wasn't talking about making pie crust!  So far I've baked cheesy biscuits, focaccia, & pizza crust.  My rule now is if you want your end product light texture, use almond flour (pancakes, muffins);  not so worried about lightness, use almond meal (pizza crust, coating for Parmesan crusted baked chicken).   It's all good!!!

Weeksie - Thanks for this additional info re: almond flour vs. almond meal. Very helpful!  :)
~Kathy~

Jan in Key West

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 07, 2013, 04:37:25 AM »
When transitioning to this WOE, mimic foods can be instrumental during the process.....especially if one has been a heavy bread, pasta, etc consumer. After 10 months, we rarely indulge anymore....can't remember the last time I baked anything and it's a rather freeing feeling...... although 5 lbs. of almond flour is taking up space in my freezer as we speak.

http://empoweredsustenance.com/avoid-almond-flour/

Barbara from New Jersey

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 07, 2013, 05:51:06 AM »
Jan,

I agree.

[size=78%] At first, I made all kinds of baked goods and froze them.  For months now I have some frozen wraps and sliced pumpernickel bread in the freeze, and no other baked goods.  I guess it takes a while to get out of the habit of eating breads, muffins, cookies and the like.  My biggest surprise was that I don't even miss these items.  [/size]

With the holidays coming up, I will be making some WB acceptable items mainly for guests.  I am happily surprised that I don't really snack much any more. 

VibeRadiant

« Reply #30 on: November 07, 2013, 06:40:01 AM »
I buy 25 lbs at a time (comes in a big box) and divide it up into 3 lb bags using gallon freezer bags.  I store them in my deep freeze in the basement.  I take out a one bag at a time and keep the one bag in the fridge.    No way I could fit all 25 lbs in my fridge at once.  Maybe that helps?

25 lb bags of almond flour?  I bought 1 lb and it cost me $11.99 ouch!

arlin

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 07, 2013, 07:09:39 AM »
Vibe~we order ours 25 lbs. at a time too and it comes to 137.25 or 5.49 a lb. I freeze most of it and take out a couple of pounds at a time. Lasts me for months and so much cheaper that way. I use almond flour almost exclusively for any baking I do so that's why I order it by the case. I occasionally use coconut flour and flax as well, but not as much by volume.

Just noticed that I already posted about this last May. Seems the price per pound has gone up a bit since my last order but still cheaper than a pound at a time.  ;)
« Last Edit: November 07, 2013, 07:11:53 AM by arlin »

Barbara from New Jersey

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 07, 2013, 07:11:25 AM »
Vibe,

Honeyville and Nuts.com sell it for a lot less. You purchase larger amounts and have to pay shipping, but these places do have sales.  Do an internet search. 

I have noticed I am using a lot less almond flour than the first few months of WB, so you really have  to monitor how long the flour lasts and keep it in your fridge or freeze.  Is it worth the space?  Perhaps I will be using more during the winter months to make breads needed for open faced hot "melts" for meals so I will use more flour.  I started WB 11 months ago.  By summertime, I was grilling or sautéing most meals and hardly used the flour.

This is one of the ongoing adaptations you make the longer you stay on WB.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2013, 11:57:52 AM by Barbara from New Jersey »

Lila

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 10, 2013, 03:36:12 PM »
I buy my Honeyville (5 lbs) from Amazon.  I do refrigerate it--don't know if you need to but I refrigerate all my open flours and meals.

Lynda (Fl)

• Wheat-free for 4 years
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 11, 2013, 07:41:12 AM »
I'm planning on freezing a 25lb order from Nut.com.  I keep running out and can't seem to kick the baked stuff for breakfast with my egg.

Barbara from New Jersey

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 11, 2013, 08:18:07 AM »
NO need to anymore!  I have been trying to find a good recipe for an english muffin that I can place and egg, canadian bacon on and top with hollandaise sauce!  Thinking of this for "day after" brunch.  Does anyone have experience with this?

Lynda (Fl)

• Wheat-free for 4 years
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: November 11, 2013, 08:22:04 AM »
Oh man, I love a good english muffin.  I once saw an eggs benedict recipe with an articoke bottom for the muffin.  A little odd but it looked really pretty and I love artichokes.  I just need to find the bottoms some day (and not have to cook them myself).

VibeRadiant

« Reply #37 on: November 11, 2013, 08:57:19 AM »
There is a "bun" recipe that might work for this.
Here is a great tutorial for making oopsie bread. The recipe below is called Revolution Rolls, but it is the same as oopsie bread.

Kent Altena has many recipes which are based on Atkins but are WB friendly.

He also has modified this recipe to make a Cinnabon style version. It is pretty good.

lyra

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: December 28, 2013, 10:54:23 AM »
I just ordered 5 pounds of almond flour from the notoriously badly named "Honeyville." I figure the cost will be $8.00 per pound rather than the $12.00 bags around here. I ordered the unblanched nuts (my spell check feature wants me to write "unbalanced."). Hope that is not a mistake.

Lila

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: December 28, 2013, 11:31:33 AM »
lyra, that's the kind I use. It is great. I ordered 15 pounds before Christmas. It freezes and refrigerates well.

Wheat Free Forum

« Reply #39 on: December 28, 2013, 11:31:33 AM »

Sponsored Links