This forum is created by people who follow the Wheat Belly Diet, as a place to communicate with each other about various topics. Please note that this site is a user created site, and not one of Dr. Davis' sites.

Author Topic: Date Night  (Read 2503 times)

Lila

• View Profile
Date Night
« on: September 21, 2013, 09:11:44 PM »
We have been cooking at home since we started our wheat/grain free life.  Tomorrow afternoon we will take a ride in the mountains and then go out for the first time to eat dinner.  We were thinking somewhere for steak, grilled chicken or seafood--surely we can get non-starchy sides and skip the bread.  Can't wait!! 

I'm so happy we aren't really tempted to to eat wheat right now. 

We are at our mountain cabin this weekend and I had bourbon and diet coke for the first time in 2 months.  Weird to be drinking diet coke, it has been so long.  But I must say that I do enjoy bourbon.

Have lost 7 pounds in about 7 weeks.   I guess I will have a bit of a slow down for a few days after drinking alcohol this weekend.   But only on the weekend, and I'm not bingeing, which is outstanding!

Lila

• View Profile
Re: Date Night
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2013, 05:31:11 PM »
Successful meal out!  The waiter was so nice--he brought out a basket of bread and I said "I'm sorry--I forgot to ask you not to bring bread."  He was very gracious.  When we ordered our salad, he said "the salads come with croutons.  would you like me to leave them off?"  Excellent! 

I can remember a time we would go, eat the basket of bread, eat the whole meal and then come home and snack.  Tonight we ate only half of our steak (which we'll have with cauliflower mash tomorrow night) and we are very satisfied. 

I'm encouraged.  I'm really wanting some Mexican, but I don't trust myself yet. 

Barbara from New Jersey

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2013, 08:47:37 PM »
Lila,

It really does get easier and easier doesn't it!!!!   :)
Why don't you make some fajita's at home? 

I was with a group of people at a Mexican restaurant.  Thought I would have trouble with the chips and eat more than 1 or 2.
Well, I didn't.  It surprised me.  I took 2 chips and ate them without the salsa.  That was enough to satisfy my need for crunch.
Just thought about the high glycemic value and toxic, gmo corn and wasn't tempted any more.

Jan in Key West

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2013, 09:08:41 AM »
Zincsulfate,
There is a thread 'restaurant strategies' posted (I think) in the general discussion area with lots of suggestions relating to your question of dining out.

Dining out can be challenging, enlightening and educational......both for you and the restaurant.  Ask questions, politely of course, and be prepared to define your meal to meat and veggies. We've found the greatest success with French restaurants, which are my favorite anyway......they tend to use quality ingredients, lots of butter, make sauces which are reductions and not thickened unnaturally, the chefs will usually interact with the patrons.....plus, I'm a sucker for French accents! My favorite restaurant down here, Banana Cafe', now has a serious GF menu that is low carb and delicious!

Barbara from New Jersey

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2013, 09:22:13 AM »
Hi Jan,

Why do you think that WB way of eating is becoming so readily available in in Key West?  Just curious. 

Jan in Key West

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2013, 10:22:27 AM »
Not sure Barbara, it could be that since this is a tourist destination, restaurants are more aware and open to dietary trends and strategies. After all, food/restaurants/bars are big business on this island and they all compete for the same tourist/local dollars....they want positive reviews on 'trip advisor' and Yelp. We have very few chain restaurants here (I only know of 3 or 4) and they are on the other side of the island.

We have a boutique movie theater with annual memberships.....wine bar etc. BUT they sell popcorn (GMO) popped in canola oil!!!! They have received so many letters & emails (yes, mine included!) that they are discussing the matter at the next board meeting. Now, that's progress! 8)

No_wheat_here (Ann)

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2013, 11:51:21 AM »
I ate out the other day -- broiled salmon and I asked for extra olive oil.  No problem.  Did away with the rice and had a double order of broccoli instead.  No problem there, either.  It was delicious.  Added the extra olive oil to both the salmon and broccoli and sprinkled the broccoli with my powdered garlic which I had in my purse.  :)  The only "bad" thing I did was have a Bud Light, but that's really okay, too.  Occasionally.  Lovin' this!

Barbara from New Jersey

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2013, 12:17:53 PM »
Jan,

The tourist places do care about the repeat business of the tourist and will react quickly to accommodate requests and not just from locals.  It is very encouraging to hear that even in Key West, the WB message has made an impact.  Too many times when people were vacationing they ate enormous amounts of foods, whether healthy or not.  That seems to be changing for the better.

Amazing that the movie theater board of directors would actually spend time discussing their popcorn source and oil!  Things really are changing.  If this is happening in your area, then it is happening in many others.  People are walking with their pocketbooks and businesses/suppliers are noticing. 

Wheat Free Forum

« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2013, 12:17:53 PM »

Sponsored Links