This forum is created by people who follow the Wheat Belly Diet, as a place to communicate with each other about various topics. Please note that this site is a user created site, and not one of Dr. Davis' sites.

Author Topic: Insomnia and leg cramps  (Read 5335 times)

Lila

• View Profile
Insomnia and leg cramps
« on: September 28, 2013, 10:14:07 AM »
Over the last few weeks, both hubby and I have been having some insomnia (or at least pretty restless sleep).  I've also been having leg cramps.  Is there a supplement I should be taking?  Right now the only supplements I'm taking only biotin (for my really brittle nails) and Vitamin D.  Oh, and inulin and probiotics (50B).

I am testing moderately positive for ketones (using ketostix), so I'm pretty sure I'm in fairly consistent ketosis.

This might have been covered before.

Barbara from New Jersey

• View Profile
Re: Insomnia and leg cramps
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2013, 10:24:10 AM »
Lila,

Magnesium.  Try to find the malate kind.  This means it is processed in a certain way.  I can't explain the difference between this and the other kinds of processing, like citrate and oxalate.  Dr. D recommends magnesium for everyone.  It is known to relieve cramps and much more.  Most Americans are deficient in it.  The malate magnesium is more expensive, but does not promote loose stools and does not upset your stomach if you take it with food.  Go to WBB and read the new article he has posted on withdrawal.  It also helps with insomnia. 

While you are in the weight loss mode and with your body systems cleaning themselves and recovering, you will have special nutritional needs pop up.  This is why Dr. D has written up his recommended list of supplements.

And congrats on your weight loss!    :)
« Last Edit: September 28, 2013, 11:07:39 AM by Barbara from New Jersey »

lyra

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2013, 02:47:34 PM »
I just ran over to amazon and ordered some from Source Naturals, the brand Dr. D, recommends. I have been trying to take magnesium, but thought I was just not able to tolerate it because of the laxative effect. Guess I was was buying the wrong type of magnesium. It definitely helped me with the muscle relaxant effect and the sleep, but I was experiencing severe gastric side effects.

Lila

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2013, 03:30:36 PM »
lyra, I just ordered a couple of bottles myself.  Hopefully it will help!!

Thanks Barbara from NJ!

Barbara from New Jersey

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2013, 03:36:48 PM »
Lyra,

Glad my post helped you too.  I have to take the pills with food.  Otherwise it makes me nauseated or sometimes loose stools.  I also learned to break up the dosage so that I take 1 pill at a time. 

Another brand that I have tried and have gotten good results with is Peter Gillhams' Natural Vitality Calm Plus Calcium.  This is powdered and flavored with natural raspberry and lemon flavors and sweetened with stevia.  It contains magnesium, calcium, potassium, Vita. C, D3 and boron.  You can make a hot tea or just add cold water.  With this nicely flavored "tea", you have to work your way up to the full dosage.  There are several different formulations to check for your needs.  Sometimes I get fed up with taking all these supplements and prefer the powder.  Sometimes I mix this into yogurt or a smoothie.  It is sweet tasting so don't mix it with other sweetened powders or liquids.

Also, do not discard the magnesium you have!  Once you get used to the full dose of the new brand you both have just ordered, then you can try to take your old brand pill with food.  You might be able to cut the pill in half and use it up that way.  It all depends on your system's ability to utilize the magnesium.  Uptake issues lessen when you are used to supplementing magnesium on a regular basis. 
« Last Edit: September 28, 2013, 03:53:44 PM by Barbara from New Jersey »

Rita

• Administrator
  • A student of nutrition
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2013, 09:25:36 PM »
Read this thread about putting a bar of soap in the sheets.  Weird... but it works:

http://wheatfreeforum.com/index.php/topic,409.msg3652.htm

arlin

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2013, 10:17:08 PM »
I agree that it seems a bit weird Rita, but after nearly two months, it's still having a positive effect on my dh!! He even used it while we were on vacation. He's not had one bad night since he started using the soap.

lyra

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2013, 04:56:12 AM »
Thanks Barbara and Lila, for the advice and comments! I looked at the Calm Vitality stuff and added it to my wish list at Amazon. Maybe I should just spend all my government fuel assistance on supplements! Hopefully, the magnesium will be the main beneficial one to add, and within my budget. I have two cords of wood ordered, so I need to stay tough to stack it all. And be able to pay the man, too!

Barbara from New Jersey

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2013, 06:38:25 AM »
Lyra,

Magnesium is very good for your stamina, muscles and strength.  Especially in older women.  Stack away!   :D 
« Last Edit: September 29, 2013, 08:23:10 AM by Rita »

scrupulousgirl

« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2013, 08:25:58 AM »
Read this thread about putting a bar of soap in the sheets.  Weird... but it works:

http://wheatfreeforum.com/index.php/topic,409.msg3652.htm

Rita, Thank you for pulling this back up. I have had a full week now with no leg cramps since putting a bar of Soap at the Foot of the bed! Hilarious as it sounds, but thankful for a "natural" remedy! I have had leg cramps on and off for about 6 years and relief from the cramps has also helped improve sleep! I used to take Melatonin to help stay asleep and I have been off of that close to 3 weeks. Probably could have done away with the Melatonin earlier, just was not ready. In the morning for the last week, my legs feel good and no longer tight. I need to tell Siri to remind me to change the Soap in a few months lol

deanna in AR

• WF Sept. 2011
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 29, 2013, 11:24:56 AM »
scrupulous, every time we finish up a bar of soap in the shower, I replace it with the one at the foot of the bed and put a fresh one in the bed. Works for us!

Lila

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 29, 2013, 01:14:57 PM »
This is unbelievable.  What kind of soap?  Does it matter?

Do you put it between the mattress cover and bottom sheet? 

I'm getting ready to google it, LOL.

scrupulousgirl

« Reply #12 on: September 29, 2013, 02:29:25 PM »
This is unbelievable.  What kind of soap?  Does it matter?

Do you put it between the mattress cover and bottom sheet? 

I'm getting ready to google it, LOL.

Lila,

I used Yardley Shea butter and put it in a Sock between the Flat and Fitted sheet right below my feet..

deanna in AR

• WF Sept. 2011
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 29, 2013, 03:45:51 PM »
We use Olay and put it right between the sheets near our feet. Only problem is...sometimes I find myself trying to keep DH's feet warm, then realize it's the cold soap I'm contacting...lol!!
« Last Edit: September 30, 2013, 11:37:57 AM by deanna in AR »

Lila

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 29, 2013, 05:51:13 PM »
All I have is Irish Spring and Cetaphil Antibacterial, so I stuck a bar of Irish Spring in the bed.  I've been reading some online comments and at least one person said Irish Spring worked for him/her.  Now I wonder if it would work for my restless legs at night when I'm reclined in my chair.  Think I'll try it tonight.

It's going to be great if this works. 

deanna in AR

• WF Sept. 2011
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 29, 2013, 07:40:11 PM »
Lila, let me know if that helps in your recliner...I have RLS every once in awhile. It seems related to my thyroid...not sure.

ldyrdr4311

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 25, 2014, 01:22:09 PM »
Been reading things here in the forum & came across this about the use of soap for leg cramps. I have them. Used to take quinine for this until the FDA took it away because it was found to cause heart problems. The homeopathic quinine does not work for me at all.
Have to try this! Simple, easy, inexpensive, & if it doesn't work, the soap still can be used for hand washing or bathing. I switched to Ivory about 18 months ago because there are so many soaps out there with triclosan in them. This c**p is in so many things it isn't funny. The FDA is finally looking into the use of this junk.
Anyway, I'll let you all know if this works for me or not.
Thanks for posting this subject!!!

VibeRadiant

« Reply #17 on: January 25, 2014, 03:28:13 PM »
I find that taking a pinch of sea salt in water before bed (and through out the day) alleviates leg cramps. When I forget, I have leg cramps at night.

mosey

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 26, 2014, 11:29:30 AM »
The soap does work, there is a bar on my DH's side of the bed & now I can sleep without being shaken awake by kicking legs. Also it's interesting to note that when he naps on the couch (which does not have a bar of soap tucked in ) he kicks & shakes often complaining of sore legs. I think the couch will get it's own bar.

ldyrdr4311

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 26, 2014, 01:55:51 PM »
Barbara: Where does Dr. D. have his list of supplements? In one of his books, or on a site?
Thanks ahead of time for your answer.

deanna in AR

• WF Sept. 2011
    • View Profile

Wheat Free Forum

« Reply #20 on: January 26, 2014, 02:12:24 PM »

Sponsored Links