This forum is created by people who follow the Wheat Belly Diet, as a place to communicate with each other about various topics. Please note that this site is a user created site, and not one of Dr. Davis' sites.

Author Topic: 2 Year Milestone  (Read 8151 times)

Lynda (Fl)

• Wheat-free for 4 years
    • View Profile
2 Year Milestone
« on: September 30, 2013, 12:53:25 PM »
I'm happy to say that October signals two years wheat-free!  Yaaay!  Sometimes, I can't believe we did this.  I have listed my wheat-free benefits on other posts and now I have a new one to add, or maybe a further improvement.  I recently had my thyroid retested.  I have taken Synthyroid .50mcg for well over ten years, maybe closer to fifteen. This isn't a lot of medicine (to the dr. anyway) and I never needed it to be increased but I do need it to feel well.  I finally got my dr. to test my free t's and antibodies, not just TSH and everything came back normal range and not just 'normal' but optimum!  My dr. stared at my results and in his gracefully understated way pronounced, "That's unusual!"  No kidding?  Well, I can't say it's all the wheat-free, it may be the vit. D3 with the wheat-free, but something is improving my systems.  At my age, this is, as my dr. says: unusual.  I recommend wheat-free and plenty of Vit D to anyone who feels as lousy as I did.  I have a bucket list of things to work on next but the thyroid strikes me as surreal.  Or maybe just an everyday miracle.

Rita

• Administrator
  • A student of nutrition
    • View Profile
Re: 2 Year Milestone
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2013, 01:28:31 PM »
Wow Lynda.   I didn't know you've been wheat free that long.

deanna in AR

• WF Sept. 2011
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2013, 01:32:35 PM »
Congrats Lynda! September 23rd marked 2 years for us. So happy we did this.

Barbara from New Jersey

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2013, 01:51:38 PM »
Lynda,

That really is wonderful news!  Worth everything to get your system working the way it should be!  Maybe your doctor will re-think his way of practicing medicine since he hadn't expected you to improve.  Whatever.  Great going!     ;D

Jan in Key West

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2013, 01:56:50 PM »
Wow....Lynda and Deanna....two years is awesome! Lynda, with your thyroid improvement, did your doctor think you may ditch the meds at some point?

Lynda (Fl)

• Wheat-free for 4 years
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2013, 07:37:24 AM »
Unfortunately, no, Jan.  At least, not yet.  From time to time, I've had occassion to be without my meds and all thyroid symptoms returned within approximately two weeks. I consider myself fortunate to not have needed accelerating doses through the years, which is the common progression for 'garden variety' hypothyroid.  I always wondered if I had Hashimoto's, since my thyroid improved (remission), but I have no antibodies.  I'm convinced that WF and Dr. D's supplement suggestions are the determining factors here.  I have been able to halve my blood pressure meds though and I consider that amazing.  I'm determined to, at least, reduce all medications to the minimum.  I can tell from my drs body language that he's not accustomed to seeing this in older patients, maybe someday he'll incorporate the things I've done for others.  In the mean time,  my son is watching and taking notes and I want him on track for sure one day.  Wish me luck!

scrupulousgirl

« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2013, 08:26:36 AM »
Lynda and Deanna, Congratulations to both of you! That is fantastic and gives the rest of us hope for endurance in this life-style.

Lynda (Fl)

• Wheat-free for 4 years
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2013, 08:44:32 AM »
Wow, Deanna, both of us hitting this major milestone near the same time.  What fun!  I'm so thrilled for us both.

lyra

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2013, 10:04:47 AM »
Deanna and Lynda! Congrats on the two year mark!

Loanne

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 01, 2013, 03:09:50 PM »
I'm so happy for your milestone ... what a great thing to celebrate and I hope you do!!  I just passed 10 months and down 65 lbs.  Am trying not to be discouraged since I think I could be losing faster than 6 lbs a month, but slow means my body is happy with what's happening, and Lord knows, I've abused it enough over the years.  No wheat, no sugar, no grains....happy! 

Randal

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 01, 2013, 05:39:37 PM »
6 pounds a month is a lot! CW says that 2 pounds a month is the target for a standard weight loss diet, so you are tripling that. Part of the problem is that everyone hears how great WB is, without realizing it still takes time to burn all that fat. (We gain it over the course of years, but then want to lose it in days.)

Lynda (Fl)

• Wheat-free for 4 years
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 02, 2013, 07:37:03 AM »
Randal is right, Loanne, six pounds a month is fantastic.  You have accomplished something few people have the strength to do. 

Lynda (Fl)

• Wheat-free for 4 years
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 29, 2013, 09:15:19 AM »
I feel the need to add to my 2 yr update.  Several months later, I have noticed a large lump blocking the entrance to my ear cannal has dissolved completely and a fatty feeling lump beside my spine seems to be diminishing.  I have had these for many years, so this is amazing to me.  I thought the ear lump had smoothed out but wasn't sure and now it's gone.  I credit the D3, due to it's properties.  I'm glad none the less.  Now I can wear my hearing aides (genetic:thanks Mom).  Also I suspect my thyroid improvement has sparked a regrowth of downey hairs on my toes and fingers.  Not that I want to look like a Hobbit (or even will) but I'm encouraged to see that I still have enough circulation to support them; at my age I should be losing them.  Eating WF and supplimenting seems to have done an amazing amount of good for me in unexpected ways.  Can't wait to see if anything else happens.

Suzhookem

• Wheat Free April 2012
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 29, 2013, 09:26:44 AM »
Lynda and Deanna,

Wow! Congrats to both of you on a job well done. Very encouraging that we don't have to age as we grow up 😄

arlin

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 30, 2013, 09:16:59 AM »
Very encouraging that we don't have to age as we grow up 😄

Love this!! :)

Lynda, congratulations on ALL your improvements. Just hearing about them gives us all hope for our own futures. Thank you so much for sharing your successes with us.

Lynda (Fl)

• Wheat-free for 4 years
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 30, 2013, 03:54:38 PM »
If my silly stories help give anyone inspiration, I am glad to share.  Most of my improvements have been internal, so this forum is the only place people understand what I've been doing.  I appreciate all the support I've been given.  Everyone here has kept me going. 

Lila

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 01, 2014, 10:12:35 AM »
Linda, how much D3 do you take? My fantastic endo ordered vitamin D test in my next round because she is pretty sure I'm deficient and told me to start taking 1000 iu per day. I'm taking 3K, though, and wonder if it should be more?

Also am taking Niacin, Kelp, Biotin, Tumeric, Magnesium and Fish Oil.

Lynda (Fl)

• Wheat-free for 4 years
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 01, 2014, 11:16:32 AM »
Right now, Lila, I am taking 10,000 iu.  Yes, you read that correctly!  Since I was extremely difficient, my dr started me at 4,000iu, which did nothing...  After reading more than a couple books and papers, I upped my dose to 8,000iu.  That's when things started happening, ie:  the pre-cancers started healing and disappearing.  Most researchers agree that 8,000iu is a good 'maintenance' dose and I needed therapeutic.  At that point, I decided to add more.  I have kept my dr appraised of my experiment and he has no problem with it.  (I have had several blood tests.) He just says, 'Keep taking it".  From his remarks the last time I went, he has become a believer.  I am toying with the idea of doing an even higher dose for several months, maybe.  I even have a new improvement to celebrate.  At about 7 yrs old, I managed to grind the tip of my right index finger almost to the bone (man, that smarted). I have a normal nail (sort of) but the skin was very thick, lumpy and caloused, with impaired sense of touch.  None of this was ever a problem but I had done some permanent damage.  The peculiar skin would grow up my nail and pull away, leaving me with a 'cut' under my nail.  I would have to remove it.  Nothing improved the reduced sense of touch.  Well, now it has started to heal!!!!  The skin has thinned, flattened and I can now feel more than I ever can remember.  It looks and feels almost like normal skin.  It isn't even noticeable to others anymore.  I am simply stunned, to say the least.  This is the second skin injury that has healed like this for me but the first that was over fifty years old.  I am also feeling more movement in my 'frozen toe'.  That's calcium that must be disolving.  I'll keep you posted on it's progress.  Needless to say, I highly recommend D3, if you are deficient and most are.  I also take mine with Vit K2.

Lynda (Fl)

• Wheat-free for 4 years
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 01, 2014, 11:54:29 AM »
I'm sorry, I failed to mention that these were daily doses.

Barbara from New Jersey

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 01, 2014, 01:01:26 PM »
Lynda,

How much K2?

Lynda (Fl)

• Wheat-free for 4 years
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 01, 2014, 02:17:51 PM »
Barbara, it's Super K from Life Extention and it's a mix of K1 (1000mcg), K2 (1000mcg of m-4), K2 (200mcg of m-7) and Vit C (10mg). I can only hope I have the bases covered here, since I don't usually have pastured meat.  Wish I did.

Barbara from New Jersey

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 01, 2014, 03:31:59 PM »
Lynda,

That is the exact formula I have been taking.  I was curious if you needed to take more than 1 soft gel with the increase of D3.
I'm assuming you are taking only 1 soft gel!  The supplement facts state that the dose is 2750% of daily values so I was hesitant to take 2 pills with my D3.

Thanks. 

Lynda (Fl)

• Wheat-free for 4 years
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 01, 2014, 05:09:41 PM »
I just take one and hope it's enough.  It does seem like a hefty amout.  I've read about K2 but there seems to be no agreement on dose.  This is such a new field and vitamins and such are fascinating to me.  So much more complex than they first seem.

Loanne

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 02, 2014, 02:04:29 PM »
Congrats on that 2-year milestone!  I just passed my 1-year before Thanksgiving.  Am still losing, albeit slowly.  That's OK with me, though.  I'm struggling to find clothes that fit still.  Just want to wear a size that doesn't have an "X" after it!  :) I had quite a backlog of smaller sizes that I've worked thru, but am on the last of those.  Someone suggested a visit to Good Will, which might be my next stop!   I had a fairly healthy serving of mashed potatoes (big) for X-mas dinner...a mistake (UGH).  I suffered greatly the next day.  Barely knew who I was.  But I got past that and doing well.  Now I know how intense the aftereffects are of eating those items that don't agree.  Maybe I just had to try it and see what happened. 

Lynda (Fl)

• Wheat-free for 4 years
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 02, 2014, 02:32:46 PM »
Good for you, Loanne.  A year is a long time and you should be proud of yourself.  Good luck with the clothes, you deserve it.

VibeRadiant

« Reply #25 on: January 03, 2014, 06:00:21 AM »
Speaking of sizes with an X in it. When I bought my leather coat, the sales girl was trying to squeeze me into a large even though I was bursting out of it. I asked for the larger size and she couldn't bring herself to say XL, she was just so uncomfortable. I put on tha jacket which fit perfectly, so I said to her XL means extra lovely. She thought that was pretty good. Now if I could just get into a lovely size. . .

Lila

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 03, 2014, 07:15:01 AM »
I'm still multiply extra lovely, but am looking forward to just being lovely, which I haven't been since before I was 16.

Wheat Free Forum

« Reply #26 on: January 03, 2014, 07:15:01 AM »

Sponsored Links