This forum is created by people who follow the Wheat Belly Diet, as a place to communicate with each other about various topics. Please note that this site is a user created site, and not one of Dr. Davis' sites.

Author Topic: what is the difference between arrowroot powder, flour and the little bottles?  (Read 22494 times)

Pooka

• View Profile
Hi all,
I am confused as to the different labels on arrowroot - powder, "spice", or flour. I am looking at arrowroot only ingredient. If anyone can help me with this I would appreciate elucidation. I want to make some bread!!!!
Thanks. Pooka

Barbara from New Jersey

• View Profile
Pooka,

Arrowroot is a starch used to thicken sauces (think fruit pie) and lighten up dense baked goods.  It has gained in popularity only recently because of these properties which are useful in grain free diets.  It is sold in various sizes.  The spice size bottles and larger packages are available, and what you purchase depends on how much you would use this ingredient.  It is a good substitute for cornstarch applications since we don't use cornstarch anymore.  Many paleo, primal and other low carb recipes call for this.  However, keep in mind that it is a high glycemic ingredient (52 carbs per half cup) and should be used sparingly.  Whether it is called a flour, powder or spice all refers to its' use, not to different forms of the starch.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2013, 12:16:39 PM by Barbara from New Jersey »

Pooka

• View Profile
Barbara, thank you so much for all the info. You answered my question! AND for the carb warning!
Pooka

arlin

• View Profile
I have a bag of arrowroot powder that I keep in the freezer because I use it sparingly. So far I've only used it to make gravy and it's wonderful. Makes the gravy thick, smooth, and creamy unlike coconut flour which I found to be a little grainy. I only use about 2 TBSP to thicken an entire pan full of gravy and then I only use about 1/4 cup on anything I'm eating, so I figure I'm not getting very many carbs for that small amount. I've never used it to make bread, but I've heard it helps make pretty good bread. I just don't eat much of that anymore. Maybe an almond meal biscuit now and then. :)

Wheat Free Forum

Sponsored Links