This forum is created by people who follow the Wheat Belly Diet, as a place to communicate with each other about various topics. Please note that this site is a user created site, and not one of Dr. Davis' sites.

Author Topic: Bacon ???  (Read 1708 times)

Pooka

• View Profile
Bacon ???
« on: October 01, 2013, 11:10:14 AM »
Hi,
      I've been buying the non-nitrite, uncured bacon but all brands seem to contain either cane sugar or brown sugar. So, is this a case of lesser of two evils? And which one is more "evil"?
      Is canadian bacon a better choice? If so, why?
      (I did do a search for this on the forum but came up with nothing.)
Thanks, Pooka

Bob Niland (Boundless)

• View Profile
Re: Bacon ???
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2013, 11:41:22 AM »
> I've been buying the non-nitrite, ...

I worry less about nitrites and nitrosamines these days. Besides which, producers just switch to "celery juice" which has even more nitrite.

> ...uncured bacon but all brands seem to contain either cane sugar or brown sugar.

If they are "uncured", they should have no sugars.

> So, is this a case of lesser of two evils? And which one is more "evil"?

Avoid the sugar.

Or buy "side pork".

If you don't cook at high temps (i.e. microwave the bacon), nitrosamines are less likely to form.
If you're on a very low carb diet, you're probably at dramatically lower cancer risk anyway.
Cancer feeds on glucose, so don't give it any.

Pooka

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2013, 12:35:00 PM »
Boundless,
     Thanks for the information. You have been such a wealth of information since I joined the forum.
Pooka

Barbara from New Jersey

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2013, 12:51:23 PM »
Pooka,

I have been baking my package of bacon and freezing what is not immediately consumed.  This provides a crisp, yet chewy bacon.
The recipe is simple.  Line a large pan with crumpled foil so bacon does not stick to pan or foil.  Place strips next to each other, but don't overlap.  Thick cut bacon is suggested, but any regular cut works.  Place pan in oven, turn on to 400*.  Turn bacon over after about 15 minutes.  Cook another 5- 10 minutes until desired crispness.  Remove from oven and drain on paper towels.

You can preheat your oven to 350* and bake, checking after about 10-15 minutes.  Turn over. 

Every brand of bacon has cooked at slightly different temperatures and length of time.  This method makes for much easier cleanup and having ready made slices in the freezer is very handy. 

Linda R

« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2014, 08:38:10 AM »
Love this.......................

Wheat Free Forum

« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2014, 08:38:10 AM »

Sponsored Links