This forum is created by people who follow the Wheat Belly Diet, as a place to communicate with each other about various topics. Please note that this site is a user created site, and not one of Dr. Davis' sites.

Author Topic: OK...I cheated  (Read 5334 times)

Lila

• View Profile
OK...I cheated
« on: October 07, 2013, 04:44:39 PM »
First time since I started at the end of July.  Popcorn at the movie. 

At least it wasn't wheat.  But it was high glycemic, trans fat loaded movie popcorn.  No doubt I'll pay for it tomorrow. 

Just thought I'd 'fess up.

Gravity.  IMAX 3D.   Awesome.

Rita

• Administrator
  • A student of nutrition
    • View Profile
Re: OK...I cheated
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2013, 05:20:39 PM »
It happens.   It's just important to get back on track, which I know you'll do, as you want to continue with your successes.

Jan in Key West

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2013, 05:22:16 AM »
Lila.....Popcorn at the movies is a pitfall for my husband as well.....so I bought non-GMO, certified organic popcorn from the health food store, popped it in coconut oil, salted and put 2 cups in a bag for him (I calculated it to be less than 10 net carbs)......while I sipped a lovely glass of Pinot Noir.....yes, we have a wine and sushi bar at our theater but hey, it's Key West!

mosey

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2013, 06:59:02 AM »
Ok - but you used past tense "ed" - its in the past. Concentrate on the now & don't beat yourself up.

Lila

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2013, 06:59:25 AM »
Jan--good idea about the popcorn.  I'll definitely do that last time.  I also had a diet Coke which I hadn't had in weeks. 

Today, I've got some indigestion, belching, and a headache.  No doubt due to the popcorn.  (In fairness, I didn't eat lunch or dinner yesterday, aside from the popcorn, but no doubt had too many carbs in that bag along with the bad fats).

But the scale was down 3 pounds today. 

Go figure.

Barbara from New Jersey

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2013, 07:13:22 AM »
Not to worry!  The longer you eat low carb, no sugar, your former favorites become too sweet, too salty or just plain yuk!  They just don't taste good to you any more.  Small indulgences now will stay in your memory and most probably not even tempt you this time next year. 

Chocolates were always my favorite treats.  Now, even the high end with less sugar is just too sweet for me and not pleasurable to eat.  Same for ice cream.  I make my own now.  Jumbo Pop Butter Microwave Popcorn used to be a favorite.  Yikes! Had about a 1/2 cup full several weeks ago and cringed at the artificial taste.  The best thing is that I don't crave these former treats.  When confronted with the offering of these foods, I keep remembering how the company has hired chemists so that the product will be addicting and smell good to you so that you want to eat it, no matter how poisonous it is to your body. 

Lila

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2013, 07:34:58 AM »
You wrote:
"[size=78%]I keep remembering how the company has hired chemists so that the product will be addicting and smell good to you so that you want to eat it, no matter how poisonous it is to your body."[/size]

Doesn't that make you mad?  I'm livid about it--why don't we get press about this just like the cigarette makers got blasted for enhancing the tobacco products so they would be more addictive?
[/size]
[/size]But I'm also livid about how doctors prescribe so many drugs to treat so many symptoms when the symptoms are coming from the very foods they tell us to eat!  If I weren't afraid of dropping dead, I'd quit taking everything except my supplements.  I did stop my statins and the darn metformin my doctor prescribed for insulin resistance.  Hesitant to quit the blood pressure meds and thyroid med (which I hope is changed tomorrow to Armour Thyroid). 

Barbara from New Jersey

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2013, 09:10:46 AM »
Lila,

We are ALL livid about these issues.  From the food companies to the doctors who mislead us and gave us antibiotics to cure everything, we realize we've been had.  Our government still is giving out bad advice about food.  Thanks to people like Dr. Davis and their compelling arguments, this grass roots movement of no grains and no sugar is getting bigger and bigger. 

As a people, we are learning to say "NO! I WILL NOT EAT SOMETHING THAT IS MAKING ME SICK!".  We are walking with our pocketbooks.  We are a passionate group because we feel better and are slowly reversing the health concerns/conditions with better diets which emphasize real food, not the chemical concoctions filling our supermarkets.  No, we don't have to become diabetics.  We don't have to take blood pressure or cholesterol drugs as we age.  Sorry big pharma.  Sorry Doctor.  Learn to help me get better, not just drug me.  No, my future is not as a crippled old lady with dementia and a suitcase of pills for my ailments. 

Overall, that bag of popcorn you ate is just a minuscule  percentage of your total food intake.  Compared to your former diet, you have done remarkably well.  It does take a while to reverse many years of eating habits.  We are all working towards the same goal of wellness.  Next time you go to the movies, your conditioned response of "must buy popcorn or candy" won't be the same.   
« Last Edit: October 08, 2013, 11:37:16 AM by Barbara from New Jersey »

Lynda (Fl)

• Wheat-free for 4 years
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2013, 11:07:10 AM »
Lila, you have been doing great for a long while.  A bag of popcorn every six months won't hurt, your body will shrug it off in a short time.  I can think of worse things to eat. I think I had one for lunch!

deanna in AR

• WF Sept. 2011
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 08, 2013, 01:31:06 PM »
Lila, the next time you go to the movies, you'll probably just remember how guilty you felt today...lol

You're doing great!

Lila

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 08, 2013, 02:26:12 PM »
and how bad my head hurts, deanna in AR.  It is worse than a hangover. But I'm punishing myself by not taking some Advil.

HungryinTN

« Reply #11 on: October 22, 2013, 05:56:52 PM »
Speaking of cheating...

I found out this afternoon that an old friend of mine committed suicide last week.  I hadn't seen him in years, but I was still pretty shaken by it.  I've been completely unmotivated ever since, and preparing an elaborate meal was just not in the stars for this evening.  What I did NOT do was run out to the bar, which is good.  But I did eat an entire GF pizza.

He was a really kind person, but he suffered from severe depression at times.  The whole thing has just knocked the wind out of my sails a bit. 

VibeRadiant

« Reply #12 on: October 22, 2013, 06:42:26 PM »
Sorry to hear this Hungry. I don't know what to say.

Barbara from New Jersey

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 22, 2013, 06:48:28 PM »
Very sad.  Makes you wonder how much grains and sugar influenced his thinking.

HungryinTN

« Reply #14 on: October 22, 2013, 09:22:36 PM »
That certainly crossed my mind, Barbara.  I've known him since I was a teenager, and I've always known him to suffer from depression, but I can't for the life of me ever recall sharing a meal with him that wasn't fast food.  He was a slim guy, and I think in many ways being able to eat so poorly and remain slim is almost more dangerous than obesity because there are no outward signs of the damage you are doing to yourself. 

deanna in AR

• WF Sept. 2011
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 23, 2013, 06:25:02 AM »
I'm sorry Hungry. Try to eat as healthy as you can right now...it might help with your motivation. Thoughts and prayers for you...

Wheat Free Forum

« Reply #15 on: October 23, 2013, 06:25:02 AM »

Sponsored Links