This forum is created by people who follow the Wheat Belly Diet, as a place to communicate with each other about various topics. Please note that this site is a user created site, and not one of Dr. Davis' sites.

Author Topic: High HDL, high everything!  (Read 11019 times)

Lynda (Fl)

• Wheat-free for 4 years
    • View Profile
High HDL, high everything!
« on: October 08, 2013, 09:39:07 AM »
I am wondering if anyone else reading this forum has the same problem I do: high lipids, even HDL.  I have been wheat free for two years and have seen my lipid numbers soar 100 points each!  Not cute.  Most people have high total chol, high LDL, high TGs and a low HDL. My HDL is alway high. According to Dr. Davis, I may not metabolize fat correctly and need a moderate fat diet.  Whatever that is?  I have found reference to this problem only once in all my extra reading and all that author said was to be throughly evaluated: not helpful.  I am thinking it may be the carbs I still haven't eliminated from my diet.  I am going to try to be more regimented in eleminating carbs and see what happens.  As I understand it, this is an unusual problem and not something most people need to worry about, most people lower their lipids with fat and raise HDL: naturally, I have to be different!  I didn't mind my gastro saying I was strange or my GP saying I was unusual, but this bugs me.  Those were remarks because I had improved unexpectedly or was strangely healthy and I welcomed them.  This and pain in my legs are my challenges (along with painting my walls!!) I would welcome any suggestions.  This thread is to help those few of us that don't respond normally. Gee, I hate that word: 'normal'.... what does that even feel like? Outside of this, WF has been a great benefit to me.

Jan in Key West

• View Profile
Re: High HDL, high everything!
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2013, 10:01:58 AM »
Lynda,
Rita posted "The Oiling of America" last week (on it's own thread) and Sally Fallon discussed, at length, the whole blood lipid & chloresterol measuring dilemma.....bottom line (at least the way I understood it) is that no one has a clear and correct understanding of what those measurements should be, especially in light of the 'incorrect' dietary guidelines we've been told to eat the last 40 years or so. I'd say, listen to your body and if you feel good & healthy, then keep doin' what you're doin'!

p.s....lowering carbs is always a good thing!

p.s.s  adding tumeric might help with the leg pain.

Suzhookem

• Wheat Free April 2012
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2013, 10:12:00 AM »
Lynda,

I also know the pain and frustration of getting blood test results that are less than stellar. Hang in there. We're here for you.

Lynda (Fl)

• Wheat-free for 4 years
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2013, 10:48:56 AM »
Thank you both.  Sally Fallon did make me feel a bit more secure!  I'm trying to concentrate on the carbs and at least get the TG's down.  If you see this rather rare condition mentioned, I'd appreciate a heads-up.  Much is published on low HDL with the other lipid numbers but not high HDL. I understand this is a rare problem and may be genetic:  thanks Mom!

Lynda (Fl)

• Wheat-free for 4 years
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2013, 10:54:07 AM »
Jan, was the turmeric you got a 'special' type?  I would like to try that.  I don't remember Perlmutter mentioning a brand or anything.

Jan in Key West

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2013, 11:23:38 AM »
Lynda.....Dr. Perlmutter commented (somewhere, maybe his book or FB??) that his website/blog had additional info on the supplements but I've searched and can't find where he identifies any specific brands. Mercola suggests that when buying turmeric, one needs to make sure it's a 'cleaner' product (and of course he sells one!) but I found 'Nutrigold'....Turmeric Curcumin Gold which we've been taking a week now and my husband thinks it's helping with the soreness & mobility in his wrist.

Jan in Key West

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2013, 11:24:46 AM »
Oops....sorry....500mg.

Mistyblue

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2013, 05:05:50 PM »
Hi Lynda
How much carbs are you eating? Did you consider consulting a Naturopath? I received the results of my labs for the first time since eliminating wheat 6 months ago and discontinuing Crestor 2 months ago. I am quite pleased even though some are high:
Chol Total - 8.34, TRIG - 0.77, HDL - 2.32 !!, LDL - 5.68, Ratio - 4,
The LDL is a little concerning, but since I fall in the low risk category, I'm not concerned. My Dr thinks that I should still be taking a statin but I'm not convinced. I also told him that my mom is 90, grandmother lived to 102 and great grandmother to 104!! I did, however,see a difference since I decreased the sugar's especially with the Trig's.

Lynda (Fl)

• Wheat-free for 4 years
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2013, 10:31:58 AM »
I'm sure I'm eating way too many carbs, Misty.  I just got another cholesterol test this morning and I did succeed in lowering the trigs, Yay!  Something good anyway.  Unfortunatley, the total chol and LDL are even worse (by a hair).  My dr. informs me that it is genetic and chemical intervention is the only real help around and even that won't do much at this point in medical history.  He's looking to push the end point out as far as possible.  He says diet makes little difference but didn't say to give up, either.  He liked the trig improvement.  Oh well, we do what we can.  I'm still working on it.  I'd love more time in my life but I'll settle for more life in my time.  I am now down to only a diaretic for my BP, which is something I bet most don't accomplish.  Step at a time, right?

Suzhookem

• Wheat Free April 2012
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 09, 2013, 10:56:57 AM »
Lynda,

Be sure to check out a website I found ~ CayennePepper.info for your heart health and blood pressure. A little trick that was shared by Jan in Key West. I'm doing 3/4 teaspoon in tomato juice every morning and DH drinks his in water. The info was just too compelling for us not to try it.

arlin

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 09, 2013, 11:08:04 AM »
I love what you said Lynda "I'd love more time in my life, but I'll settle for more life in my time". Words of wisdom for sure. I'm going to remember that one!

I don't understand the doctor's thinking on this. It (chemical intervention) is the only real help around but it won't do much good either in this time in history? What the hell sense does it make to prescribe any then?? Sheesh. I think you should rely mostly on how different you're feeling since changing the way you eat. Good for you on the triglycerides too. It's wonderful if it makes you feel even a little better about things. :)

Maybe we'll all find out down the line that their numbers were as much of a lie as their nutritional advice. Not that I don't think there may be some validity in numbers. I'm just not convinced that it's a "one size fits all" kind of thing. I'm not educated enough to know what's good vs what's not. But I do remember the doctor telling my dh (after his cholesterol levels had dropped quite a bit) that those numbers were no longer "valid" and he still had to drop them further to reach the new standard. And of course he pushed hard for the statins. Again. And again, dh refused. I just stood there with my jaw on the floor. Seems if your numbers improve, the numbers have to change to meet the doctors' need to prescribe something. :-\

Lynda (Fl)

• Wheat-free for 4 years
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 09, 2013, 12:11:31 PM »
Thanks, Suz, I'll look into that.  I'm looking for every little thing that may help.  My BP is better but I'd like to lower it even further.  I'm off BP meds but still take a diaretic (just not as much: thank you WB).  BP meds and high cholesterol aren't a good mix.
Arlen, this is a tough one.  The medical profession is just now learning about cholesterol and they are stuck on prescribing statins.  They don't know what to do about genetic high cholesterol, really.  There aren't that many of us, thankfully.  All they know to do is stretch out a few years for you and they think statins will do that.  My cholesterol numbers are just now getting very high, so I even question the diagnosis, since many die in their early years from this and I'm still here.  I'm trying to figure out something to help advise my son who is just starting to have a rise in chol.  They didn't test my chol before I was in my upper forties, so who knows where I really fall?  Drs in the office are about ten years behind the current research and put on a confident front because that's what their patients seem to require.  It's hard to get them to stop acting so confident and be some real help.  I'd rather hear 'I don't know' so I am free to move on with my questions.  Most wouldn't.  I've worked in the medical profession and I understand their problems and it just makes me impatient.  I feel so badly for your DH.  Here he has improved his health and gets slapped for his effort.  How demoralizing.  Reasure him that every small improvement will echo through his whole body in larger and larger gains.  The body is amazing that way.

Jan in Key West

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 09, 2013, 12:28:39 PM »
I agree Arlin, I think the number game was/is largely predicated and directed by the pharmaceutical companies.....they invented the numbers and continue to manipulate them with a heavy bias toward maximizing sales & profits.....and the AMA bought it hook, line and sinker! And as a result, here we are....a fat, sick and drug dependent nation....with a large population of dysfunctional M.D.'s married to  pharmaceutical protocols. Hope they get divorced!

Sally Fallon says not to worry if your total cholesterol is 300 or above....you'll probably live a lot longer and according to Dr. P, you won't be getting alzheimers either!

Lynda (Fl)

• Wheat-free for 4 years
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 09, 2013, 01:12:49 PM »
I agree, Arlen and Jan.  That's why we need to get healtier and healthier and bring more people into WF living.  Then there'll be so many of us, they won't be able to ignore us anymore.  Then drs. will have the courage to step out of the mainstream without their life work being threatened.

Lynda (Fl)

• Wheat-free for 4 years
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 29, 2013, 12:07:23 PM »
I have continued to examine this problem and finally found an author that has more than a few sentences about it.  Cholesterol Clarity actually had a whole chapter on high lipids with high HDL.  It wasn't much help but at least he addressed the situation.  It boiled down to getting several more extensive tests to determine the true state of ones cardiovascular system.  That was a good idea, you need to know if your arteries are clogging up.  After that, there wasn't much truly helpful.  The author says they have no research on this problem combined with low carb diets.  He feels if you test clear that you are probably in no danger and not to make yourself crazy worrying.  I guess it's a watch and see thing. My arteries were clear seven years ago and I had high chol.  Hmmm... back to the drawing board!

LibbyMe

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 29, 2013, 12:20:19 PM »
I went off my statins months ago (my legs were aching) plus I was reading how truly bad they are for us.  My primary rather freaked out about this.  I've seen her at least twice since going off.  I'd posted my numbers on the WB blog and Dr. Davis told me they were good.  When we're losing weight...and I still am....they numbers should be factored into that.  I'm hanging in there hoping my numbers get "normal".  I've heard too that consistently high numbers are genetic (I have a friend whose struggling like you).  Hang in there!

Lynda (Fl)

• Wheat-free for 4 years
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 29, 2013, 02:55:04 PM »
Thanks, LibbyMe.  I'm with you on the statin issue.  I, too, dicontinued mine because of extreme pain.  I think the consensus standard of 200 total chol is unnatually low but mine decided to jump even higher after many years around 240.  I used to eat more low fat; I guessed it worked as far as chol lowering in the blood but I was continuously hungry and gained weight steadily.  This sure feels better now.

Rita

• Administrator
  • A student of nutrition
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 29, 2013, 05:41:46 PM »
Remember in that Oiling of America, Sally Fallon also mentioned that there was research showing that higher cholesterol levels for women was related to longevity.

Jan in Key West

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 30, 2013, 04:25:24 AM »
And Dr. Perlmutter indicates that cholesterol is a prophylactic against dementia, Ms, Parkinson's, and Alzheimer's as well.

Lynda (Fl)

• Wheat-free for 4 years
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 30, 2013, 09:18:48 AM »
Rita & Jan, I sure hope they are right!  I think the author of Cholesterol Clarity has a good point when he recommends further testing to see exactly what shape the cardiovascular system is in currently.  I would feel fairly confident if I got my tri's down and found my arteries were still clear.  I understand that familial cholesterolemia causes young death and my family is fairly long lived.  I think the youngest death was at 79, most were mid 80's and above (one at 104).  No one has died 'young' by any stretch of the imagination.  Even the sick in my family are more active than many and they still make it over 80.  Familially, I have a chance.  My DNA is from sturdy stock.  I'd just like to feel as energetic as possible for as long as possible.  Right now I'm considering lifting weights and doing ab exercises because I've gotten slim enough to look half decent for an old babe  ;)   (Truthfully, I'm working hard so I don't embarrass my poor son.  I have a horror of being one of those miserable mothers that are a trial to everyone.) Wish me luck!  I'll report any futher findings, in case anyone else has this rare problem.  In the mean time, I'm working on my carb addiction, which is worse than the wheat any day.  Anyone else with a potato addiction?

arlin

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 30, 2013, 09:50:25 AM »
A potato addiction? Umm...yes. I love Lay's Potato chips. And they are HORRIBLE for me to eat. I threw my last bag away because I couldn't control myself. Now I'm refusing to buy any more because I know I'm not in control when they're around  ;) I still allow myself a small piece of a baked potato with butter and sour cream when we bbq a steak, but I don't think I'm getting the amount of carbs with that small chunk as I was with half a bag of chips!!

I work very hard at keeping my carbs below 30 a day. Having chips around blows that out of the water. And then I feel sick to my stomach for awhile afterwards to boot! Right now potatoes are my worst challenge in terms of keeping my carbs low. I don't serve them often in any form, but when I do I know I'll likely go over my 30. Sweet potatoes too. So high in carbs! Love them and have to watch how much of one I eat when I do serve them.

Lynda (Fl)

• Wheat-free for 4 years
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 30, 2013, 12:17:56 PM »
I understand completely, Arlin.  I could live on potatoes.  There is something wrong with a steak that doesn't have a potato with it.  Bad upbringing I guess, prime rib and potato always takes me back to dinner with Dad.  I'm going to be forced to count the carbs along with you.  Too many carbs doesn't just affect my weight, it sets off the GERD, too!  Evil things, I wish I could convince myself I hate them.

Linda R

« Reply #22 on: November 04, 2013, 01:36:14 PM »
Lynda.....Dr. Perlmutter commented (somewhere, maybe his book or FB??) that his website/blog had additional info on the supplements but I've searched and can't find where he identifies any specific brands. Mercola suggests that when buying turmeric, one needs to make sure it's a 'cleaner' product (and of course he sells one!) but I found 'Nutrigold'....Turmeric Curcumin Gold which we've been taking a week now and my husband thinks it's helping with the soreness & mobility in his wrist.

Does your hubby still feel positive about the turmeric?

I began taking one tablet everyday along with my other suuplements, a month or so ago, and I realized just this week-end that I am no longer feeling that arthritic-like stiffness in my right hip first thing in the AM.!

When I removed all wheat, that pretty much took care of my hip soreness in both hips, but there was always that little nagging stiffness in the right side only.

Jan in Key West

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 05, 2013, 03:47:43 AM »
Lynda,
We've been adding the turmeric supplement for over a month and the arthritic issues with his wrist (which flow into the thumb area) have continued to improve. Being an avid tennis player, he really notices the change.

jarvis

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 05, 2013, 03:10:45 PM »
I'm just reading "Grain Brain" and your great grandmother and grandmother long lives may be attributed to their high cholesterol.  Lots of research has been done and those with the highest live the longest!

Lynda (Fl)

• Wheat-free for 4 years
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 06, 2013, 02:46:09 PM »
I sure hope so, Jarvis. I'm hoping the extra effort I'm putting out will pay off. I've had some very unexpected improvements. 
Jan, does the turmeric upset the stomach?  I've been reading a few things about it, since you mentioned it.  Nobody has mentioned the effect on the stomach.  I have issues with some spicy things. Wow, your DH sure had a nice response.  Good for him.

Linda R

« Reply #26 on: November 06, 2013, 02:54:40 PM »
I sure hope so, Jarvis. I'm hoping the extra effort I'm putting out will pay off. I've had some very unexpected improvements. 
Jan, does the turmeric upset the stomach?  I've been reading a few things about it, since you mentioned it.  Nobody has mentioned the effect on the stomach.  I have issues with some spicy things. Wow, your DH sure had a nice response.  Good for him.

If it's any help, Lynda, I take it in the form of a supplement, 500 mg a day, in the AM, along with my Vit D3, Fish Oil, etc. No stomach problems at all. I take all of them after my Bulletproof Coffee, which contains 1 Tbsp unsalted butter and 1 Tbsp coconut oil.

Jan in Key West

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 07, 2013, 04:42:54 AM »
Linda,
We haven't had any issues taking the turmeric w/food.

Barbara from New Jersey

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 07, 2013, 05:10:07 AM »
Lynda,

I've taken Terry Naturally brand Curamin on and off for several years.  This is a synergistic blend and works much better than tumeric alone.  I've used Vitamin Shoppe brand which doesn't compare to Curamin, so I used up the bottle by adding a pill to the Curamin dose.

I have always taken this with food and never had a problem.

Also, I only have used this when I've strained/sprained something and taken this to heal the injury or joint ache.  I found it works MUCH better than Advil. 
« Last Edit: November 07, 2013, 07:16:39 AM by Barbara from New Jersey »

VibeRadiant

« Reply #29 on: November 07, 2013, 06:52:57 AM »
I started adding 1/2 tsp turmeric to my kefir smoothie last night. Interesting concoction.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2013, 03:09:19 PM by VibeRadiant »

Lynda (Fl)

• Wheat-free for 4 years
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: November 07, 2013, 01:52:13 PM »
Thanks everyone, I've got this on my 'To Consider' list.  My digestion is my biggest problem.  I have suffered IBS since I was about 8 years old.  I have vivid memories of that year!  Grain free has helped (especially the colon spasms) and I have lots less pain but not a complete cure.  If I could find a small bottle of turmeric, I just might try a couple.  Maybe one of my friends has some I could swipe?  If it didn't cause upset or pain, I'd go for it.

Barbara from New Jersey

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 07, 2013, 03:53:08 PM »
Lynda,

Primal Mind, Primal body discusses why certain foods like asparagus causes problems in some people.  I think I saw it on the recently posted article of questions/answers.  There is a substance in those foods that some people cannot digest properly and IBS symptoms result.

I just ordered the book from Amazon, so I can't find out any more info for you. 

Jan in Key West

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 07, 2013, 03:59:02 PM »
I think I posted something about cruciferous veggies recently.....and yes, they can cause problems!

Lynda (Fl)

• Wheat-free for 4 years
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 08, 2013, 07:57:47 AM »
Jan and Barbara, I think I'm going to have to read Primal Mind, Primal Body.  I remember that post on cruciferous veggies and that's one thing that started me wondering.  This forum has really been great for generating new lines of thought.  Thank Amazon for the Kindle, I would have spent a fortune on books and my shelves would be past capacity!

Jan in Key West

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 08, 2013, 09:23:59 AM »
Lynda, you might enjoy reading Georgia Ede's website @diagnosisdiet.com as she has an interesting read on the light and dark side of veggies....plus she's a ketosis gal as well! She was the one that led me to discover (among other things) that I cannot tolerate spinach unless it's cooked.

Lila

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 21, 2013, 09:39:02 AM »
Just had basic cholesterol panel.  Was hoping to see improvements, despite the fact that I went off my simvastatin a couple of months ago.  Although I know what I am reading about cholesterol numbers, basically that they're crap, but because they are still numbers that people use to determine heart health (or heart prognosis), the voice in the back of my mind still nags me.

Here they are, hot off the press--
Total  Cholesterol 236  (never been higher than 210, on or off meds)
Triglycerides 112    (on simvastatin last time they were in the 60s)
HDL 71
VLDL  22
LDL-C  143  (never been higher than 89, on or off meds)

I've got to go back through what Dr. D's blog says, but I'm thinking about going back on my meds.

I'd not be concerned if I knew I hadn't been conscientious about sugars (except for inadvertent exposure) and carbs, but the triglycerides in particular have me worried.

Thoughts? 

Barbara from New Jersey

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: November 21, 2013, 10:33:21 AM »
Lila,

It is a good idea to review what Dr. D. says about cholesterol in his book, especially for your peace of mind.  He says that while you are in the weight loss mode, your numbers will be "wacky".  Do not worry!  Go to the WB blog as well because everyone (including me!) gets scared and Dr. D. and others explain the reasons.  Generally, it has something to do with burning fat for fuel while you are losing weight.

Don't lose site of the fact that you are feeling much better in the short time you have been grain and sugar free.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2013, 02:04:55 PM by Barbara from New Jersey »

Rita

• Administrator
  • A student of nutrition
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: November 21, 2013, 01:15:59 PM »
Here's the link to Dr. D's blog where he talks about numbers going up:

http://www.wheatbellyblog.com/2012/06/i-lost-weight-and-my-cholesterol-went-up/

Lynda (Fl)

• Wheat-free for 4 years
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: November 21, 2013, 01:23:04 PM »
My dr would dance in the street with joy if I had ever had numbers that good!! I can't speak to your LDL numbers but the rest aren't all that bad or that far off normal.  Like Barbara says you are losing weight and it makes your levels 'wacky'.  Good term, Barbara ;D  I like it!  I am planning (and my dr) on having heart tests in April, just to see if there is any blockage.  Seven years ago I went through this and was free flowing.  Hopefully, I still am.  Maybe you should do an ultrasound or cat to see the real state of your arteries?  You might feel more secure knowing your blockage levels.  I know I will.  It's scary the way the pros act like you are going to have an immediate attack, like next week, if you don't take this pill.

Lila

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: November 21, 2013, 05:31:21 PM »
Thanks, everyone.  I read through the blog and will re-read the Wheat Belly book section on cholesterol tonight.  I was really shocked when I got the results.  In addition to the fact that I'm losing SOME weight (although not all that much yet), my thyroid meds may need fine tuning (I think th are low--I'm constantly cold and am frequently constipated--sorry if TMI).  That can also affect cholesterol numbers.

If the numbers are wacky while I lose weight, it will likely be for awhile since I have so much I need to lose.

I will stay off my statins at least until February when I have the NMR tests before my physical.

Wheat Free Forum

« Reply #39 on: November 21, 2013, 05:31:21 PM »

Sponsored Links