This forum is created by people who follow the Wheat Belly Diet, as a place to communicate with each other about various topics. Please note that this site is a user created site, and not one of Dr. Davis' sites.

Author Topic: TRUVIA - friend or foe?  (Read 3992 times)

VibeRadiant

TRUVIA - friend or foe?
« on: October 11, 2013, 05:44:24 PM »
I bought some granulated TRUVIA the other day and was amazed at how close it tastes to sugar, except for the very slight after taste , it was pretty good. It's marketed as a Stevia based artificial sweetener.

I just Googled it and did you know that there isn't any  Stevia in the ingredients list? And it is made by Cocal-Cola and Cargill?
It lists three ingredients;

1) Erythritol: A sugar alcohol which is made by processing genetically modified corn.
2) Rebiana Half of one percent of Truvia is Rebiana which is a molecule of the Stevia plant but it isn't Stevia.
3) Natural Flavors; oh oh. . .  we know what that means.

I don't want to use Splenda (or sucralose) which is a chlorinated sugar molecule (and was originally created for use as an insecticide), can't stand Krisda (disgusting chemical taste) and Stevia extract is just too expensive.

So what is there left that is a no carb sweetener and won't raise blood sugars?

« Last Edit: October 11, 2013, 10:08:08 PM by Rita »

Rita

• Administrator
  • A student of nutrition
    • View Profile
Re: TRUVIA - friend or foe?
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2013, 10:10:53 PM »
I always buy Stevia.   I actually thought that Truvia was a brand put on a stevia product.  Didn't realize they were different.

I like stevia.  Here's the wiki on that:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stevia

Barbara from New Jersey

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2013, 03:40:43 AM »
Vibe,

I've found that my taste for sweeteners has changed dramatically.  At the moment, I like WFMF sweetener which is made with erythritol and monk fruit.  Xlitol and Swerve taste good to me too.  So does saccharin.  Sweet Leaf brand Stevia is good too with a minimal after taste.  Tastes Like Sugar is just OK to me.  I am slowly working my way through Truvia, Nectresse and various other sweeteners I purchased as trials.  I used Splenda at first, then realized it was causing gas and never bought it again.   

On a daily basis, I only use a sweetener for coffee.  The bulk of the sweeteners are used in baking or for ice cream treats.  It is recommended that you taste the batter for any adjustments that might be needed.  I am now combining sweeteners in order use them up. 

Each brand of sweetener is slightly different.  It really is tedious to buy 2 or 3 different brands until you find one that tastes acceptable to you.  Maltodextrin is the ingredient to avoid since it is man made and indigestible.  You notice this more as your intestines regain their proper flora. 
« Last Edit: November 02, 2013, 07:15:44 PM by Barbara from New Jersey »

lyra

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2013, 08:39:26 AM »
Thank you for the information. I had switched from Stevia Sweet Leaf to Truvia and prefered the Truvia! That pisses me off. Damn coca-cola company! this stuff is 99% erythritol, made from GMO corn. Nice con job with the packaging, too. "Truvia sweetener comes from nature...born from the sweet leaf of the stevia plant..." Blah, blah, blah!

VibeRadiant

« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2013, 08:44:29 AM »
Yes,  I was very surprised to read that Truvia doesn't actually contain stevia,  is made with GMO corn. And that Dr. D uses it concerns me slightly.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2013, 05:38:45 PM by VibeRadiant »

Lila

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2013, 04:17:32 PM »
I have resisted using any sweeteners at all since starting this.  I will probably buy some Swerve because GG uses it, but I think I'd like to get away from (almost) all sugar (except for what is in wine). 

I did find some pure stevia on Amazon and there was a warning that it is very strong.  What do you all use for sweetener? 

arlin

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2013, 05:20:39 PM »
I don't use sweeteners very often anymore unless I'm having a rare moment when I want to make a dessert. And even then I don't always eat what I've made but let the others enjoy it. When I do use a sweetener it's almost always xylitol from birch. I used a little coconut sugar the other day when I wanted to make some chocolate truffles but I didn't want any when I was done. Took a taste and they were too sweet for me. I gave them all away except a few that I saved for my dh. :)

Peter in Thailand

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2013, 10:03:27 PM »
I have resisted using any sweeteners at all since starting this. ... I'd like to get away from (almost) all sugar

... I'll second that approach from Lila -- to resist any sweeteners.

... No sweetener of any kind in my kitchen any more.
I don't make any recipes that call for sweeteners.
That solves the problem of "friend or foe?"

... In the beginning months, difficult to do without the taste of sweets.
Now, easier.

-- Peter

Randal

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2013, 08:20:04 AM »
Dropping Sweet and Low from my coffee was probably the hardest thing to give up. Took three attempts, but five months after I gave up wheat I was finally able to break the pink packet habit.

Lynda (Fl)

• Wheat-free for 4 years
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2013, 03:37:23 PM »
My desire for sweetness is my most difficult addiction to control.  I really like sweet foods and drinks.  Guess I'm going shopping for xylitol after I finish the Truvia.

Peter in Thailand

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 03, 2013, 09:20:08 PM »
So what is there left that is a no carb sweetener and won't raise blood sugars?

... Valuable topic.
Thank you, VR, for starting.

... I, too, have been wondering/worried about alternative sweeteners since starting wheat-free.
Couldn't find one that offered good taste and was nutritionally safe.

... I've already quoted Lila once on this thread, but will quote again:
I have resisted using any sweeteners at all since starting this.

... That got me thinking, "What about normally sweet foods, but didn't put in any sweetener at all?"
First attempt this morning: BulletProof hot chocolate.

... First sip of that was terrible, yuk!
But I was determined to carry on the experiment.
By the middle of the cup, I was starting to enjoy it.
By the final sip, I was ready for more.
And now, I think eliminating any sweetener from foods that are normally sweet will work well.

... Example:
A common food among LCHF eaters is fat bombs.
Great way to get lots of tasty fats -- butter and coconut oil.
But I stopped making those due to the alternative sweeteners.
After this morning's experiment, I think fat bombs without any sweetener will be appealing.

... So, what went into my bulletproof hot chocolate?
  • 1 cup of boiling water
  • 1/2 cup of pure coconut milk (no thickeners)
  • 2 tablespoons of coconut oil
  • 3 tablespoons of unsweetened cocoa powder.
  • no sweetener at all.
  • Blend until creamy.
... I'm very pleased to find that it is possible to enjoy sweet-less foods like this.
And my answer to VR's opening question asking for a "no-carb sweetener [that] won't raise blood sugars?" is, no sweetener at all.

-- Peter

Wheat Free Forum

« Reply #10 on: November 03, 2013, 09:20:08 PM »

Sponsored Links