This forum is created by people who follow the Wheat Belly Diet, as a place to communicate with each other about various topics. Please note that this site is a user created site, and not one of Dr. Davis' sites.

Author Topic: Salmonella in chicken  (Read 1054 times)

Linda R

Salmonella in chicken
« on: October 12, 2013, 07:28:49 AM »
My local producer is out of frozen chicken till next year. I am really concerned as to what brand to look for at the store, is the cage free, non-antibiotic poultry really all that clean?

http://www.marlerblog.com/lawyer-oped/is-it-time-to-ban-chicken-shit-from-our-chicken/#.UllNmVC-2uK

Barbara from New Jersey

• View Profile
Re: Salmonella in chicken
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2013, 09:02:54 AM »
Hi Linda,

Unfortunately, there isn't any way of knowing if your chicken is contaminated or not.  It seems logical to me to carefully wash the chicken before cooking and then carefully wash your sink, tools, hands and anything else nearby just in case there were splashes of chicken water.

You should be washing eggs too!  Their shells can be contaminated.  I was in junior high school when my home economics teacher emphasized that chickens can poop anywhere, they can walk in it and many times their feathers are dirty and then they sit in their nest and lay their eggs.  I was a city girl and thought that this was amazing.  I have carefully washed  chickens and the eggs in their shells ever since!

I also remember when Chesapeake Bay was so contaminated with the runoff from chicken and pig farms that all the seafood was too polluted to eat.  There was a great public outcry and lots of finger pointing.  Frank Perdue appeared in an advertising campaign, personally guaranteeing his healthy, clean chickens!  There were local butchers then and they sold locally grown, fresh killed poultry which I purchased until the butchers went out of business.

There is no easy answer to your question.  I guess you have to assume that the chickens absolutely need careful cleaning.  I haven't had a problem with the cage free, non anti-biotic poultry.  My guess is that theses birds are processed in a cleaner environment than the commercially raised since these are smaller companies with their livelihood at stake. 

« Last Edit: October 13, 2013, 03:38:33 PM by Barbara from New Jersey »

Linda R

« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2013, 02:12:32 PM »
Well, I decided to go ahead and sign up with my Iowa Coop. Went for a trial membership which gives me 6 months to decide if I want to remain a member, and, if I do, I'll need to cough up a $50.00 one time membership fee.

Today is the last day for ordering for this cycle, so I jumped in.
Found a producer who has nice, big stewing chickens at just $3.00 a piece, ordered two for my crockpots.

Also couldn't resist another grass fed beef brisket from another local producer, plus some minute steaks. [There goes my food budget for the month!] LOL

So on Thursday, delivery day, I jump in the car and drive about 8 miles to a local church and pick up my stuff.
Life is good!

Wheat Free Forum

« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2013, 02:12:32 PM »

Sponsored Links