Author Topic: How did I miss this?  (Read 345 times)

Graindead

• View Profile
How did I miss this?
« on: October 12, 2013, 10:57:22 AM »
Sheesh. I go to the Wheat Belly blog pretty much daily looking for new articles/comments. I just happened to click on Boundless' name to see if there was a way to send an email and I was brought here. Good to be around like-minded folks.
Wheat-free since May, 2012. Grain-free and gluten free-free since October 2012. Went from 203 to 153 lbs. High blood pressure medicine (was 180/117) lisinopril and metoprolol- not any more. Severe sleep apnea- just a bad memory. Size 38 waist is now a 32. All is not perfect, however. I still smoke a pack a day and probably drink too much wine. But I don't drink beer anymore. It just doesn't feel right. It's like drinking a beach ball.
Looking forward to joining the conversation from time to time!

Lynda (Fl)

• Wheat-free for 2 1/2 years
    • View Profile
Re: How did I miss this?
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2013, 11:07:06 AM »
Welcome, Graindead, we're glad to have you.  Jump in anytime.  You really have acceived a lot, it's inspirational.  I love the icon!

VibeRadiant

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2013, 11:09:52 AM »
Welcome Graindead!
Strive for progress, not perfection.

Suzhookem

• Wheat Free April 2012
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2013, 11:14:38 AM »
Love your screen name and your pic! Welcome!

Jan in Key West

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2013, 01:45:45 PM »
Welcome to the forum Graindead.....I like wine too! We're all "in process", otherwise we probably wouldn't be here! ;)

Earache

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2013, 06:18:17 AM »
Welcome and it sound like you have had much success .

Rita

• Administrator
  • A student of nutrition
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2013, 12:06:58 PM »
Welcome Graindead.  Lots of great successes there!

mosey

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2013, 01:09:35 PM »
Welcome Graindead. You have made great progress. Try looking into GreenSmoke, type it into google. Electronic cigarettes delivering nicotine via water vapor. It's a baby step but does not deliver the 1000's of other ingredients in tobacco, and it's cheeper.

defman

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2013, 12:00:23 PM »
Hi, it's good to wean off the bread grains stuff.
Other than that, I wouldn't recommend the electronic cigarettes, I never tried them, costs too much anyway.
I was smoker since I was teens, I finally figured out how to quit smoking, it was really simple.
I wrote up an ebook about it and posts it on Free-Ebook.net. You can find it. Look for "Quit Smoking with Mental Strength". It's just my humble story of how I became smoker and then what made me determined to quit, and finally piecing together a few methods that helps me quit smoking for good. No fuss, no fancy frills, just simple methods that anyone can try.
Just one thing, when you try to quit, don't try to think failure is not an option, that's a mistake. Failure is good, it teaches us when to step back, and then when we're ready, to try again. Until we're on that journey about further along than halfway, then we're ready and then we're through! Like a goal! Roar! Hear the crowd! They're gone bananas! Ha ha! We've WON! No more smoking! No more wheat! Etc.
For me, my hunger, my cravings, have been getting the better of me, and I don't like it. Today, after looking all over, I sees these books, Wheat Belly, and I track it down and found out what it is all about and then everything fell into place. It IS the darn bread! I eats too much bread... that's my problem. The other problem is, I do not know what else to eat that is good, I do not like most processed foods. I want something I can afford to eat and not be spending beyond my means on my pension. So I am stuck for now. I'll figure it out after reading more, ok.
Meanwhile, study, study, study, figure things out and achieve your goals, no matter how long they take. Being free of addictions is better than being a slave to the stuff for ever!
No worries.

Graindead

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 14, 2013, 12:24:39 PM »
Welcome Graindead. You have made great progress. Try looking into GreenSmoke, type it into google. Electronic cigarettes delivering nicotine via water vapor. It's a baby step but does not deliver the 1000's of other ingredients in tobacco, and it's cheeper.
I have been using an E-Cigarette for over a year now, along with normal smokes. Not ideal. I just need to decide to use E-Cig only, then wean down the nicotine to zero. It's a ridiculous habit. 

HungryinTN

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 15, 2013, 10:57:45 AM »
So glad you've found us, Graindead!  I smoked for about seventeen years off-and-on and was still smoking some when I first started wheat-free back in June.  After about a week of eating right and seeing how much better I felt, quitting smoking was just another experiment to see if I could feel EVEN better.  And I did.  So so so so so much better.  I haven't had a cigarette since early July.  Drinking has been a much tougher problem because it's basically my entire social life.  There's pretty much nothing else to do in my town, and I don't have any non-drinking friends.  But I have cut back dramatically. 

Taking control of your health is an important journey no matter how you go about it.  You have to go at your own pace and quitting smoking is one of the toughest steps you have to take.  When you do, it will be meaningful and fulfilling.  Cigarettes are very comforting but they also get in the way of true happiness because they control your life.  The sense of power that comes from quitting is pretty much as good as any health benefit.