This forum is created by people who follow the Wheat Belly Diet, as a place to communicate with each other about various topics. Please note that this site is a user created site, and not one of Dr. Davis' sites.

Author Topic: When did you have your wheat-ectomy?  (Read 8460 times)

VibeRadiant

When did you have your wheat-ectomy?
« on: October 13, 2013, 10:15:35 AM »
Hi all,

I wanted to ask the forum folks when they had their wheat-ectomy and what was the #1 benefit they had despite thinking that this was impossible (ie: eating fat to lose fat, etc).

VibeRadiant

Re: When did you have your wheat-ectomy?
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2013, 10:16:30 AM »
I'll start.

I had my wheat-ectomy on August 29th, 2013. The first benefit I noticed was deeper and better sleep.

Randal

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2013, 10:26:12 AM »
March 13, 2013.

Not to get graphic or TMI, but the #1 benefit for me was the bathroom situation. If you had told me that eliminating wheat would have stabilized that, but I wouldn't lose any weight, I still would have done it. The 6-7 inches off the waist is... looking for a metaphor... gravy? The cherry on top? I need new metaphors.

Rita

• Administrator
  • A student of nutrition
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2013, 12:36:29 PM »
Mine was around February or March of this year.   Didn't lose weight then, but inches went down almost immediately due to what I think was abdominal swelling.

deanna in AR

• WF Sept. 2011
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2013, 02:50:23 PM »
September 2011

Lost 30 pounds in the first 6 months...still maintaining. Plus, I LIKE eating this way...feel like I'm doing something good for my body and DH's.

arlin

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2013, 05:51:07 AM »
April 1st of 2013.

I guess the first thing that I noticed had improved was the intestinal issues. It wasn't long after that I noticed my blood sugar had gone into normal range when I tested and I lost 2 (2 1/2?...can't remember now) inches in a week. I also noticed that my dark thoughts had begun to subside and I was sleeping better. So many good things happened so quickly and nearly simultaneously that it's hard to pick one. :)

I will never go back to the way I used to eat. Like deanna, I feel I'm doing something wonderful for myself and my husband. Not to mention, we just simply love the food! So satisfying and tasty.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2013, 09:39:26 AM by arlin »

Teresa

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2013, 06:16:53 AM »
February 22, 2013.

For me it was complete relief of colitis symptoms (within a week) and avoiding the Rx the doctor wanted to put me on to manage it.  There have been other benefits, simiilar to what some other folks have described, but this was the reason I did it and it definitely produced the desired results and then some!
~Teresa

Barbara from New Jersey

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2013, 06:18:58 AM »
12/12/12/ was my Decision Day!

I read an article in a local paper written by a columnist who wrote about the wonderful changes in his health since he started WB eating.  Everything he said just resonated with me. I immediately went to Barnes & Noble to buy the book, not wanting to even wait for Amazon!

Never looked back!  It took a while to organize my thinking and cooking for a grain free existence.  Sweeteners took a while longer.
So many of the new ingredients were pre-sweetened.  Coconut products were harder to find without the added sugar. All those gluten free products had to be carefully checked for carbs. Shopping took a long time.  I kept going to different stores to find different products.  I slowly cleaned out my pantry and dumped or donated unacceptable foods.  Sigh, but better to have wasted the money than further contribute to my deteriorating health.

I immediately felt my blood pressure go down, lost weight and stopped grazing all day!  A month later, my sinuses were constantly dripping, but I was able to sleep at night without having to spray saline solution, which in turn, helped me get a better, longer rest.
Acid reflux and general digestive issues immediately diminished.  Overall improvement in memory and wasn't misplacing items anymore.

I found that after the initial start up costs of flours, nuts, various condiments and the like, I saved at least 30% off my food budget.  Now I am exploring the grass fed meats and free range poultry products and grass fed, not homogenized dairy.  I've located places that sell cheese made from raw milk which is just scrumptious.  I am spending more now because these ingredients are expensive.

« Last Edit: October 15, 2013, 06:27:16 AM by Barbara from New Jersey »

VibeRadiant

« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2013, 06:30:27 AM »
Love the responses!

It's fascinating the varied reasons we have become WF and all the results we've gotten.

No_wheat_here (Ann)

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 14, 2013, 10:10:31 AM »
September  11, 2013

Read an article in our local paper and prediabetes jumped out at me, plus losing the fat around my innards.  I had done Weight Watchers followed by Atkins and lost weight but not many inches.  This WB thing is fantastic.  I wasn't afraid eating fat because of Atkins and dropping all grains was easy because of the glycemic index.  I had no idea a piece of wheat bread was as high or higher than sugar.  Sheesh.  I'd have to say losing the inches is the best part plus I just feel good!

Lynda (Fl)

• Wheat-free for 4 years
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 14, 2013, 10:14:46 AM »
Two years ago this month.  The first symptom to disappear was arthritis pain.  From there, the benefits just kept coming. 

Suzhookem

• Wheat Free April 2012
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 14, 2013, 11:37:25 AM »
I started April 2012. I had tried before several times, but since I wasn't having any wheat related issues, to my knowledge, it was even harder. Finally I got competent health care and she tested me and I was wheat sensitive. I didn't notice any difference in my health because I was so sick but after 2 months lost 30 pounds. I knew being wheat free was right for me but I'd heard about the book on TV so went out and bought it that day. I read it and never looked back. DH read it too, good thing because he does our cooking, and put it down half way thru and said I'm all in.  I'm still working on my health but believe the wheat free way of life is the only way. I'm so thankful for this forum and again THANK YOU RITA!!! This place has been most helpful. I've picked up hints here and it's made my path more enjoyable. And I continue to marvel at the depth of knowledge displayed here on our forum.

bill

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 14, 2013, 02:56:55 PM »
I read Good Calories, Bad Calories, by Gary Taubes about
a year before Dr Davis's book came out.  When I
closed GC, BC after the last page, I said, "I will never
eat carbohydrates again." 

I pre-ordered Wheat Belly and read it the first day
it came.  Had already sworn off any carbs and never
had any problem not eating wheat products.

My interest in all this has been that I was eating what
was said to be 'healthy' but I couldn't get to noon
before I was FAMISHED.  No matter how much I ate
the rest of the day, I could not catch up and often
got headaches that I attributed to lack of food.  Now
it's understood that it was my blood glucose level crashing.

Since eating LCHF (low carb high fat) I never have
these problems.  The best website for LCHF info is:
http://www.dietdoctor.com/

I'd also like to thank Rita for this site.

Suzhookem

• Wheat Free April 2012
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 14, 2013, 06:21:11 PM »
Just watched The Fat, Sick and Left for Dead movie and noticed everyone hit a wall at day 3. Its those darn " healthy whole grains" again!

VibeRadiant

« Reply #14 on: October 14, 2013, 06:30:56 PM »

Since eating LCHF (low carb high fat) I never have
these problems.  The best website for LCHF info is:
http://www.dietdoctor.com/

I'd also like to thank Rita for this site.

I watched an interview on Youtube the Diet Doctor did with Peter Attia, very interesting.

VibeRadiant

« Reply #15 on: October 14, 2013, 06:31:41 PM »
Just watched The Fat, Sick and Left for Dead movie and noticed everyone hit a wall at day 3. Its those darn " healthy whole grains" again!

Is this movie available for download?

HungryinTN

« Reply #16 on: October 15, 2013, 10:42:10 AM »
6/19/2013

I'd been staying with my parents for a few days and discussing nutritional options with my mother to try to help her deal with some health issues.  She mentioned Wheat Belly.  When I got home I started reading Wheat Belly Blog and never ate wheat again.  I've lost 25-30 pounds (any time I eat too many carbs, no matter what the source, I bloat up about 4-5 pounds) and am no longer constantly hungry.  The list of benefits is lengthy, but I think the most life-altering has been the appetite loss.  The relief of GI and bladder problems, the increased concentration that allowed me to stop taking ADD meds, improved mood, and the decreased joint pain have also been pretty spectacular.

I could stand to lose about fifty more pounds, but I'm not worried about it anymore.  I feel like myself again and that's what matters most.

Suzhookem

• Wheat Free April 2012
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 15, 2013, 12:56:05 PM »
VibeRadiant,

I went to Fat, Sick and left for dead.com. Watched it for free. 😃

VibeRadiant

« Reply #18 on: October 15, 2013, 05:12:10 PM »
VibeRadiant,

I went to http://www.fatsickandnearlydead.com but didn't see a way to watch the film online.

aspexil

• Went wheat free end of Feb 2013
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 16, 2013, 08:14:49 AM »
VibeRadiant,

I went to http://www.fatsickandnearlydead.com but didn't see a way to watch the film online.

http://www.rebootwithjoe.com/watch-fat-sick-and-nearly-dead/

aspexil

• Went wheat free end of Feb 2013
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 16, 2013, 08:27:21 AM »
End of Feb 2013. 

Could not believe eliminating wheat and switching my breakfast to bacon and eggs every morning and six weeks later my high trglycerides and low HDL both improved to the point of being back in normal range.  I would not have believed it if I hadn't seen the results myself. 

But the weight loss is unreal.  I'm 10" thinner than I was a year ago.  My weight is below my driver's license.  For the first time in my adult life I think reaching my goal weight (87 pounds away but I've already lost 90) is something I can actually get to!  I'm not hungry all the time.  I only eat when I'm hungry.  Some days I don't eat at all.  Wheat was definitely an appetite stimulant for me.

What kills me is eliminating wheat and switching to LCHF was easy enough.  The hard part was wrapping my brain around it.  I came across Wheat Belly in Oct 2012 and it still took me 4 months to commit.  I wish I had started earlier.  I wish I had this information when I was a kid.  Such a shame that Big Government, Big Ag and Big Food have all been lying to us.

Barbara from New Jersey

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 16, 2013, 09:11:32 AM »
Aspexil,

At least we finally found out what was ailing us.  Our future is much brighter because of people like Dr. Davis, Dr. Perlmutter and Dr. Amen.  I agree that the hard part was actually accepting an idea that is the opposite of what we've been taught.  Everything in your body works better when it is fed properly.  There will probably be tweaks along the way, but I am beginning to think that the revolution is unstoppable now.

I say this because of the huge amounts of new gluten free items on store shelves.  These buyers are trying to attain better health, although we know they are not going to with the high glycemic value of those items.  Eventually, they will understand the WB concept and most probably embrace our way of eating. 

Shame on our government and the companies that preferred profit to health.  We can walk with our pocketbooks and walk with our votes.  Change is coming and this change is from us.

VibeRadiant

« Reply #22 on: October 19, 2013, 08:25:29 PM »

http://www.rebootwithjoe.com/watch-fat-sick-and-nearly-dead/

I watched the movie. I was inspired by the weight loss of both guys. But, the juicing aspect is not WB friendly. The Doctor, Furhman I believe, talked about animal meat not being healthy and that weird food pyramid with meats in the occasional area and beef in the almost never area.

But really inspiring none the less.

jambo101

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 08, 2014, 02:30:58 AM »
 "Fat sick and nearly dead" is a very inspiring movie,Got me so inspired i bought the Breville juicer and started on a 60 day juice fast, i lasted 12 days,lost 20lbs but i just couldnt continue,i needed solid food, the 20lbs i lost came back as fast as i lost it, problem with the juice fast is ultimately you have to live by a diet that will sustain the weight loss, so i came to the conclusion why not skip the juicing and just live the healthy lifestyle, enter Wheat Belly and the Paleo diet, wheatectomy Dec 26 2013. , i've already cut my diabetes meds in half and i'm confident i can kick diabetes altogether, i'm hoping to also lose substantial weight.

VibeRadiant

« Reply #24 on: January 08, 2014, 04:18:20 AM »
that is great jambo!

HungryinTN

« Reply #25 on: January 08, 2014, 06:46:07 AM »
I had a similar journey, Jambo, although I never made it as far as twelve days on a juice fast and never lost any significant amount of weight.  I enjoyed juicing, and I think it may have its merits for nourishment, especially for someone like my boyfriend who's 46 and has never voluntarily eaten a vegetable in his life.  But as a method for weight loss and healing it lacks certain key components of sustainability that made it too difficult at the time.  I sometimes wonder if I tried again to do some juice detoxing, using vegetable juices only, of course, if I might derive more benefit from it.  But who's got time?  I'd rather eat my vegetables! 

Wheat Free Forum

« Reply #25 on: January 08, 2014, 06:46:07 AM »

Sponsored Links