This forum is created by people who follow the Wheat Belly Diet, as a place to communicate with each other about various topics. Please note that this site is a user created site, and not one of Dr. Davis' sites.

Author Topic: Me, myself and my wheat belly  (Read 38712 times)

VibeRadiant

Me, myself and my wheat belly
« on: October 14, 2013, 02:42:43 PM »
The last time I measured myself was February 27, 2013. I didn't like the fact that the diet at the time didn't work (I can't recall which one it was), I stopped dieting, weighing and measuring myself. I was extremely discouraged.

Then I found myself reading WB and then I found this forum.

Today, I took a chance and measured myself. I had to psych myself up because I didn't want to set myself up for a possible binge if I didn't like what I saw.

Well, I have lost 1/2 inch at the waist and 1 inch at the belly.

« Last Edit: December 24, 2013, 03:56:45 PM by VibeRadiant »

arlin

• View Profile
Re: Me, myself and my wheat belly
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2013, 03:48:47 PM »
Yay! Take a bow. I'm applauding you. Feels good doesn't it?  :D

VibeRadiant

« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2013, 04:19:07 PM »
it does.

VibeRadiant

« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2013, 05:01:12 PM »
ok, I had to Google how much weight 1 inch loss is, apparently, for a tall person, 1 inch of tummy loss is equal to 6 lbs. I really see the loss in my chin, my double chin is more like a single chin now lol!

Suzhookem

• Wheat Free April 2012
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2013, 06:16:55 PM »
Hey, you did it. You rock!

VibeRadiant

« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2013, 06:20:16 PM »
lol, thanks.

Lila

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2013, 06:55:18 PM »
my double chin is turning into a wattle.  might need some cosmetic surgery after awhile....

Barbara from New Jersey

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2013, 06:01:49 AM »
Lila,

The gelatin in bone broth helps with the weight loss wrinkles and sags.  Since I don't drink bone broth daily, I have been taking collagen as a supplement.  My hair and nails grow fast!  This is supposed to be good for your bones too.  I found Youth Theory brand in Costco, but I like Bernard Jensen's capsules because they are smaller and easier to take.  I also found a recommendation to take these pills with vitamin C.  I started several months ago and I think it is making a difference.  There is a Great Lakes powder that seems good too. 

The good part is that you are losing enough weight to cause the problem!  Why don't you do an internet search and let us know what you find and if there is a better product!
« Last Edit: November 30, 2013, 12:34:52 AM by Barbara from New Jersey »

Rita

• Administrator
  • A student of nutrition
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2013, 12:56:42 PM »
Good for you! Love to see inches goin' !

VibeRadiant

UPDATE: Me, myself and my wheat belly
« Reply #9 on: October 15, 2013, 05:10:02 PM »
I was at the chiropractor today and I weighed myself.

According to my journal, I vacillated between 188 lbs and 184 lbs, and that's when I gave up with diets, measuring and weighing myself, that was back in February 2013.

I had originally told myself that I would not weigh myself again until there was significant changes (ie: pants falling down), but I did anyway.

I am 175 lbs!

I haven't seen that number since I was on the upswing from my Weight Watchers weight loss and then quick regain, years ago.

I don't know what my starting weight was on August 29, but I am happy none the less.

Buh-bye wheat belly! 

VibeRadiant

« Reply #10 on: November 05, 2013, 12:19:03 PM »
Stupid number on a scale!   >:(

I weighed myself at the chiropractor on Monday and according to the dial, I  have gained all the weight back. Never mind that my clothes are getting looser.

Stupid scale!   ???  ???

VibeRadiant

« Reply #11 on: November 21, 2013, 07:31:19 PM »
I am finding that I am struggling with consuming high fat. Since I have switched to BP coffee in the mornings instead of food (about two weeks ago), I get nauseous and my tummy feels heavy.  Plus I don't have an appetite for the most part either.
And I find that I feel nauseous now even after I eat a meal with extra fat. I started researching what could be the issue and others here have suggested ox bile. I looked at one pharmacy today and they did not have ox bile or bile salts. So I'll have to keep looking.

I gave up dairy as of Monday as I think that my hip pain flared up once I went WF and compensated with cheese and cream to make up the fat as I wasn't consuming meat at the beginning, so it could be caused by dairy and after listening to some of the speakers during the summit, many seems to think that dairy could be causing cross reaction.

I started adding turmeric about three weeks ago and that hasn't helped, but then I am taking the actual spice turmeric and think it may not be potent for the purpose that I need it for. I saw that turmeric is available as an actual supplement in drop form and may pick that up as my hip pain seems to be getting worse rather than better.

Any help, suggestions and encouragement would be greatly appreciated, I'm really struggling here.

Barbara from New Jersey

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 21, 2013, 08:23:49 PM »
Vibe,

TerryNaturally Curcumin is the brand I used with great success for plantar fasciitis.  Worked much better than Advil.

I also went through a period where I didn't lose any weight according to the scale and might have gained a few lbs. back.  My clothes fit better and better so I was surprised that the scale didn't show this.  After about 4 months I started losing weight again.  Haven't a clue about why.  I did start to get severe acid redux again and had to buy a proton pump inhibitor (OTC) because the aloe juice just wasn't strong enough.  The nausea and reflux stopped immediately.  Weight loss started again right after.  I used to eat a lot more alkaline foods before WB, but stopped the fruits because of carbs and fructose.  Maybe that is the reason for my flareup.  I always thought I didn't make enough acid since ACV and water and aloe always worked before to soothe my stomach and stop any reflux.  Proton pumps stops acid production which tells me I was making too much acid.  Go figure.

Dr. Andrew Keech's lecture from The Gluten Summit may be of interest to you.  He discusses colostrum which helps digestive issues among many other things. 

It takes time and constant tweaking what we eat to adapt to the changes our body is telling us we need to do.  So keep you chin up!
« Last Edit: November 30, 2013, 12:33:56 AM by Barbara from New Jersey »

HungryinTN

« Reply #13 on: November 21, 2013, 09:48:02 PM »
Hey Vibe - are you doing anything to detox your liver?  You might be experiencing a sort of back-up.  If you haven't done a liver cleanse, maybe back off of the BP coffee for a little while and try to see if you can detox a bit.  Start with a cup of warm (not hot) water with lemon in the morning before anything else, then have maybe one cup of the coffee.  Later in the day, add some kind of detox tea.  There are several brands of detox herbal tea out there.  My usual routine is to have a cup of detox tea (Traditional Medicine brand Daily Detox usually) brewed with two tea bags at some point during the day, and then another cup after dinner, plus a cup of a senna tea (usually called something like "smooth move" or "dieter's tea") before bed.  The effects aren't exactly pleasant at first, but it's really easy to tell when you're clean! 
Walnuts, egg yolks, asparagus, and bitter greens (i.e. kale) are great foods to eat for liver cleansing.  And since it takes your liver a couple of days to process alcohol, best to avoid for a little while if you're a drinker. 

VibeRadiant

« Reply #14 on: November 23, 2013, 08:00:48 AM »
I started having a glass of water with lemon juice first thing in the morning. Then I wait bout 10 minutes and have my BP coffee. I take a digestive enzyme with the coffee. This is day two of this routine and I can say that I haven't had any nausea after having my fatty coffee, a first in more than two weeks.

Randal

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 23, 2013, 08:19:16 AM »
Rather than focusing on your weight, how is your waist?

I have this sneaking suspicion that prior to going wheat free, most people don't get enough protein. As they are eating a lot of wheat, sugar, and carbs, they are progressively gaining weight while losing muscle mass.

Then once people switch to WB, they actually start eating enough protein to maintain and gain lean mass. So people actually increase the good kind of mass that you want, while shedding the fat you don't.

Weight and BMI are two terrible stats to track because they tell you nothing about body composition. I bought a body fat measuring device off Amazon and I plan to use that to track my progress every couple months. (I can track my waist in "real time" every day when I get dressed.)

VibeRadiant

« Reply #16 on: November 23, 2013, 08:22:06 AM »
Randall,

I'm not focusing in weight really. I am loosing inches around my waist and belly, that is more of the info that I look for.

VibeRadiant

« Reply #17 on: November 29, 2013, 07:03:07 PM »
It has been exactly three months today. I am slowly getting the hang of this thing.

VibeRadiant

« Reply #18 on: December 07, 2013, 04:30:29 PM »
For the first time since starting, I almost fell right off this WOE. I decided that I would go to Walmart to pick up this new curling tool. I went right after work. No problem right?
Well, the Walmart didn't have any left. So, I convinced a store employee to access their database and tell me which other store had some in stock.
This is the hot item of the season and only a few stores had any left. We found one store, clear across town and they had one left. So off I go into cross traffic and I am hungry.
The Walmart near my place doesn't have all of the fast food restaurants in it, so I find it a safe place to shop. But the Walmart I was going to has a McDonald's among other food stores. All the way there I was telling myself that I could have the big mac now as I was eating meat again, and the fries wouldn't hurt either and maybe a chocolate milkshake. After all, I've been so good for the last three months.
Never mind that I would get cramps from eating the bread, or that a milkshake would kick me right off the WB WOE and it might be weeks or months before I found my way back.
Then a small voice said "you have some nuts in your bag", sure 'nuff! I gobbled them up, safely entered (and left) the Walmart with nary a burger, fries or milkshake to weigh me down.  :D

I know I shouldn't go shopping hungry!   :-[

deanna in AR

• WF Sept. 2011
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 07, 2013, 04:59:47 PM »
Good job Vibe! And did u get the curling tool? The moral of the story: always carry nuts :))
« Last Edit: December 08, 2013, 08:02:10 AM by deanna in AR »

VibeRadiant

« Reply #20 on: December 07, 2013, 05:26:42 PM »
yes, I got one of the last in town! And keeping nuts in my bag is a good idea.

Barbara from New Jersey

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 07, 2013, 05:53:51 PM »
Vibe,

Can you hear me clapping?!!!!

You've eaten grain and sugar free long enough that even a small "indulgence" like a  or the fries and especially the burger with cheese - no roll, would taste bad to you.  You would wonder how on earth people eat this gaggingly sweet or tasteless but salty stuff thats called fast food.  You would waging "the war" of do I or don't I continue to swallow this disgusting stuff because I am so hungry!

Now that its cold out, I keep a small baggie of nuts or WFMF granola in my car in an insulated bag along with my bottled water.  The bag keeps the nuts or granola from getting rancid just in case strong sunlight heats up the interior and also keeps the water from freezing.  I am now in the habit of drinking some water every time I get into my carů. like Pavlov's dogs!  I find this is an easy and painless way to increase my intake. Don't even think about whether or not I'm thirsty.  Key in ignition.  Sip.  Back up and down driveway. Sip.  Drive to traffic light. Sip.   8)

By the way, all that yummy clean ingredient ice-cream you are making is selling here in co-ops or upscale stores for $7-8 per pint.  Add a half gallon of grass fed, low temp. pasteurized, not homogenized milk for $7 and a dozen well fed free range eggs for $5 and you have spent $20.  This is the true cost of the food, not the subsidized commercial stuff which can be purchased for half the cost.   
« Last Edit: January 06, 2014, 06:00:19 AM by Barbara from New Jersey »

Randal

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 07, 2013, 06:18:25 PM »
If you have to eat at McDonald's - which I occasionally do, due to travel - order a hamburger without the bun. Some places actually offer lettuce in place of the bun, sort of like In-N-Out, when you get their burgers "protein style." Yeah, McDonald's isn't great at all (with all the processing that removes the good stuff from meat, and adds crap like pink slime), but at least you're not going full-bore SAD.

VibeRadiant

« Reply #23 on: December 08, 2013, 06:32:04 AM »
When I got home after shopping, I tossed some ham chunks in some eggs and had a feast. Better than McCrap any time.

VibeRadiant

« Reply #24 on: December 15, 2013, 08:58:12 AM »
There must be something to this WOE that keeps me hanging on despite my not having the best experience since going WF and sugar free (recently diary free as well).  I think I'm doing this right, but I'm not getting the over the top wonderful reactions and positive side effects that most of you have describing.

I'm not just talking weight loss either.
I haven't had the increased energy, but have experienced the lessening of lethargy.
I haven't had the increased mental clarity but have had lessening of brain fog.
I haven't experienced the absence if joint pain, I actually have had an increase of hip pain so much so that I am seeing a chiropractor weekly for adjustments and now for acupuncture and have been referred for an MRI for constant nerve pain.

I have experienced lack of IBS bowel pain since giving up wheat and no more crashing since giving up sugar. So there is that.

I keep on hanging on (despite lack of results), hoping that one day I will wake up and it will all be worth it, because I really don't want to go back to eating like I used to.
But progress has been very slow and not really inspiring. 
Yet something keeps me going.

I tell myself that due to the damage I must have caused by one crazy diet after another, that it will take longer for my body to heal itself, but I get really discouraged at times. 

« Last Edit: December 15, 2013, 08:59:59 AM by VibeRadiant »

Randal

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 15, 2013, 10:16:16 AM »
Vibe,

I'm sorry you haven't been seeing the results you are expecting. Speaking of which, what exactly do you want to achieve? I've recently been reminded at work that unless you establish clear, measurable goals, you can't track progress.

I just passed my 9th month of WF this past Friday, and looking back I realize that some of my problems didn't get fixed until around months 5-6. I had to cut out wheat, sugar, and almost all carbs to fix some of my ailments.

The weight loss can be so rapid in the beginning (at least for me) that you can get discouraged when you are months in and still not at your goal weight. (I keep telling myself "Four more months and the gut should be gone." But I've been saying that for months. I have to remind myself this is a marathon, not a spring, and it took years to get unhealthy, so I can't expect to get healthy in weeks.)

I've been meaning to post about this for a few days now after my last set of metrics, but I think WF is a good starting point, but an incomplete path towards fitness. I measured my weight and body fat this past week; while I was happy that I'm down 5 more pounds in the past 5 weeks, I lost a good amount of lean tissue in that weight, despite my strength training. This WOE has done so much for me and I'm grateful for it, but I believe that if you're just doing WF and not incorporating exercise (correctly), then you're not going to achieve true fitness and health.

I would say keep at it; it takes months to heal your intestinal flora, and then hopefully you will see the results you're expecting.

VibeRadiant

« Reply #26 on: December 15, 2013, 10:52:32 AM »
I have to admit that when I was reading Wheat Belly and read the results of the people in the book, I thought I had found the cure. But as soon as I started WB (and went sugar free at the same time), the pain in my hip started and has gotten worse. There has been no weight loss to speak of and the inches I did lose initially have all come back. I have also eliminated dairy and thus removing another source of protein.
I feel that I am eating the healthiest in a long time, but there are no real results to show for it.

I have been researching more and came across Dr McDougall and his cure for rheumatoid arthritis and his WOE is rice, potatoes and plant based nutrition with the elimination of animal protein due to its inflammatory abilities in the human body. I'm getting confused about what I should eat to not be in pain.

deanna in AR

• WF Sept. 2011
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 15, 2013, 11:02:40 AM »
Vibe, I'm sorry it's hard right now. I'm having some unexpected things too, and this is after 2 years.

My energy is much better.
I'm seldom hungry.
I generally feel better overall..stronger.
I still feel very positive and proud of what we've done. I'm generally very "up" and encourage everyone to do it.

I lost 30 pounds overall, but 5 have come back. I usually yoyo within 2-3 pounds, but I've been about 5 pounds over for a week or so. I'm not at my goal weight, but I'm not concerned about that because it took me awhile to put together a new wardrobe and I'm not ready to do that again yet.
My hips still hurt sometimes when I first get up in the morning.
I still have trouble sleeping.

We've been very consistent with our new lifestyle, but a little looser in the second year.
We're not as stringent as some of you on the forum. When we started, our plan was to cut out wheat. Then as we read more, we saw that more was necessary, so we went no wheat, low carb, high fat. We did not go "no carbs except veggies". We did not cut out wine, so we do get sugar there. But we still stick with our plan and have not chosen to eat wheat on any occasion, nor do we want to. I do not miss the things we don't eat and generally don't try for substitutes. I have not felt deprived at all with this WOE.

I believe my thyroid is not working properly. I kept a temperature log for a couple of weeks, and my temp is consistently a little low. I can't take a full dose of Armour Thyroid because I get too hyper. I think I need T3 but currently don't have anyone to confirm that. I think that may affect my sleep and my bathroom issues.
I have not been able to take magnesium except in minute amounts (causes diarrhea). This seems to be getting better for me now with the Doctor's Best chelated magnesium I started a couple of weeks ago. Right now I'm up to two a day...yay! Being low in mag could also affect my sleep and bathroom issues.
I'm also taking probiotics now.
I can't ingest spoonfuls of coconut oil (diarrhea).
We are not eating grass fed. I'm aware this could well be a reason I've not gone further.
Heck, it could just be the wine!!!

I do still believe things are getting better and still expect great results. I still feel very good about what we're doing and don't want to do anything different. I hope you can find ways to fight off the discouragement. I think things will get better for you. I hope you have at least one person in your life to support you in this. I don't think either DH or I could have done it alone.

VibeRadiant

« Reply #28 on: December 15, 2013, 11:11:08 AM »
No one in my close circle knows exactly how I eat as there is a strong family history of diabetes, heart disease and fatty liver disease and they are all convinced that eating animal fat is the cause.
So I am not getting any emotional support except for here.

To avoid the best intentions of people at work who see me eat fat and fat, I have told them that I am allergic to wheat and am pre-diabetic (they seem to think that eliminating sugar is extreme). I find that telling these little white lies stops them from giving me their "expert" opinions about eating healthily.   

My biggest worry is the pain, it gets tiring and a little depressing at times. 

But I do love the way I eat now and I don't get hungry between meals and I don't crave any more. Some days, I eat two meals instead of the 4-5 I used to.

Maybe that should be enough for the time being.

deanna in AR

• WF Sept. 2011
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 15, 2013, 11:16:47 AM »
Remember too Vibe that we all go at our own pace. None of us do it exactly the same, but hopefully we're still all going forward.

I'm glad you have the support of this forum!

Suzhookem

• Wheat Free April 2012
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: December 15, 2013, 11:43:36 AM »
Vibe, I have been grain and sugar free for almost 2 years and last intentional slip was a year ago. I also haven't had the results that many on WFF have had. Yet when I compare where I am now to where I was a couple years ago I realize I've come a long way. I still have a long way to go but the healing process has to go at its own pace and not mine. I just keep on keepin on as I feel this is the best WOE. It worked for my ancestors before the internet was out there to confuse them, it'll work for me too. It's frustrating to read about everybody else successes but it does encourage me that I will achieve results too. In the meantime I have l lower back pain and I'm confused about what I'm doing. My scale is I don't know where as DH hid it at my request. Just wanted you to know that I support what you're doing. I'm sorry that you're having trouble but thank you for sharing your frustration because it really helped me. So I will continue to drink my BP coffee and read this forum and be confused because I know in my heart I am doing the right thing. The colostrum, I think, has helped me a great deal too. And I thank you for that.

HungryinTN

« Reply #31 on: December 15, 2013, 11:52:37 AM »
Vibe, have you read any of the Weston A. Price Foundation publications?  Their approach is slightly different from Paleo or Wheat Belly and you may find something in the traditional foods method that helps.  The journal is available on their website and it is full of well-researched information on different health topics.  My mother found loads of helpful info (only some of which she is willing to try, but that's a different problem altogether) about heavy metal toxicity, the result of having grown up in an industrial area, which may be behind a lot of her health problems and the reason why the nutritional changes she has made are having limited effect.

It is really hard to deal with being surrounded by people still stuck in the old anti-fat way of thinking.  I'm at least thankful that my parents and sister are converts (more or less) but at work and in social situations it is much tougher.  At dinner with a friend one night, when he started railing against saturated fats, I simply smiled and nodded and let it slide by and that was SO HARD. 

And Deanna, I'm afraid to say that even a little bit of wine throws me WAY off when I have it.  I gave it up for a full two months, then last week imbibed just a couple of times.  My weight ballooned up five pounds, my joint pain came back, my digestion was completely screwed up, and my productivity and concentration level completely degenerated.  After I leave work today I'm going straight to the store to get as many detoxifying agents as I can afford and start downing them like it's going out of style. 

VibeRadiant

« Reply #32 on: December 15, 2013, 12:44:24 PM »

I am currently reading Nourishing Traditions, very interesting reading.

Thank you for those who have shared their struggle too, in a way I am glad that I'm not the only one struggling, not that I want anyone to struggle mind you.

I do understand that we are all individuals and will have different results and we'll need to tweak to make it work for us. 

And that I need to revel in my successes thus far rather than concentrate on what I don't see as progressing fast enough.

Thank you all for caring and sharing. I appreciate it!  :D

Barbara from New Jersey

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: December 15, 2013, 03:42:05 PM »
Vibe,

You are doing very well!  The changes inside your body are progressing, although too slowly for you, your bodily systems are working better.  Many underlying health issues show up once healing starts taking place.  Sometimes you start feeling sick because toxins are being released faster than you can eliminate them.  Each organ/system needs to repair itself as best it can at each stage of your recovering from the damage done by grains and sugars.  Every time you eat, drink or abuse your body in some manner, it tells you "I don't like this"  whether  it is depriving yourself of rest, eating food it doesn't like or drinking something it doesn't like. 

Compared to a year ago at holiday time, I'm guessing there is an enormous difference in your life.  Once you really reflect on the health issues, I'm positive you will begin to understand the fundamental improvements in your health.  The upward spiral is very slow for everyone, especially as we age.  We can't expect to recover as quickly as a 20 year old. 

All those lectures from The Gluten Summit show us how many different ways and viewpoints there are about the same general issue.
As I read and re-read them, I realize how difficult it is to regain health.  At least now there is recognition of "leaky gut" and suggested ways to heal yourself. We didn't have this before, only the drugs doctors would give us.  It is hard to separate the fact from the hype sometimes, but at least we can make choices now.  So, cheer up.  We all progress at the rate our body can heal itself.  My rate is different than yours.  We all plateau.  We all make great gains and then have setbacks.  We are all impatient! 

Keep up your good cheer.   Not everyone on this blog or even WBB has amenable friends and family.  The gifts you are giving yourself are wonderful.  Good health is priceless. 
« Last Edit: December 15, 2013, 05:49:56 PM by Barbara from New Jersey »

VibeRadiant

« Reply #34 on: December 15, 2013, 04:07:34 PM »
thank you.

VibeRadiant

« Reply #35 on: December 15, 2013, 06:28:56 PM »
I am listening to an interview with Jonathan Bailor and he's talking about how we need to heal the body first then the body will start dropping weight.

Exactly what I've been needing to hear.

« Last Edit: December 16, 2013, 11:36:40 AM by Rita »

VibeRadiant

« Reply #36 on: December 24, 2013, 03:56:20 PM »
I think I found my calming, meditative activity, loom knitting!

I made a cap for a preemie.

arlin

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: December 27, 2013, 07:12:51 AM »
Vibe that's adorable! And I think it's a good thing to find something creative to do that will allow us to get in a quiet zone. I sew (make quilts and quilt for others) but that's not very calming. For one thing I work for customers and that's a bit stressful at times, but I also knit and that's my quiet activity too! :)

VibeRadiant

« Reply #38 on: December 27, 2013, 08:00:09 AM »
I started taking himalayan salt in water 3-4 times a day to help with leg cramps and I think it may be helping my hip pain too.  I was desperately googling the other night at 2 am because I couldn't sleep due to the pain and I remember some one posted the water cure somewhere here. I googled it and one link lead to another brought me to this page http://www.life-enthusiast.com/himalayan-crystal-salt-brine-therapy-a-307.html and I started taking in salt. I think it's helping.

I did go to the ER a few days ago and the doctor prescribed me celebrex.  I asked him if it was like nsaid, and he said not really. So I took the prescription and I googled it when I got home - it is an nsaid but a different class (it still has a wide range of side effects as well). So I decided to try something natural rather than subject myself to more chemicals.

Which brings me to the salt cure.  Anyone else taking in salt as part of their healing routine?

VibeRadiant

« Reply #39 on: December 29, 2013, 12:19:38 PM »
It has been 4 months today since I gave up wheat and grains.

Along the way I gave up sugar and dairy.

I also gave up worrying about the scale.

I've gained some things that have made my journey a bit troublesome but overall the experience is positive and I expect to keep at it for the long run.

I would describe my WOE as more higher fat/moderate protein ketosis than gluten free, it seems that eating higher fat is better on my aches as fat isn't inflammatory.

Here's to the next month.

Barbara from New Jersey

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: December 29, 2013, 12:43:45 PM »
HAPPY ANNIVERSARY VIBE!!!!

Each month it gets better.  Everyone has ups and downs as various underlying health issues arise.  Seems that the cleaner you eat, the more your cells function the way they should and you are alerted to each organ/system that starts releasing toxins or some how letting us know that an area still needs to heal.  Like you, we keep trying to adjust to the new situation by adjusting our diet or vitamin intake. 

VibeRadiant

« Reply #41 on: December 29, 2013, 10:43:09 PM »
Thank you Barbara! I appreciate the support and encouragement.

VibeRadiant

« Reply #42 on: January 05, 2014, 01:19:10 PM »
So, it is not any surprise to anyone that I haven't had the outward success that most have. Sometimes that really bothers me, but for the most part I'm ok with that.
I've been listening to many health pod casts and Youtube videos which are all along the GF/WF/LCHF genre and I take comfort that some people do take longer to experience the external benefits when most of the work is happening on the inside.
Like one speaker said, two people break their ankle, depending on the type of break, their overall health and personal situations, they will heal differently and at different speeds.
Wishing and hoping for a different outcome only adds stress to an already stressed body and mind and that causes inflammation and that causes delays and frustration.

Besides, not binging and no cravings, and no constant hunger and no mood swings, and better sleep and overall better sense of well being are acceptable trade-offs  in my opinion and  that's ok with me.

Bob Niland (Boundless)

• View Profile
Salt
« Reply #43 on: January 05, 2014, 03:07:45 PM »
> Anyone else taking in salt as part of their healing routine?

If you are low carb or ketotic, it may not be an optional healing thing.

From Dr. Peter Attia's Eating Academy blog:
"... If readers remember only one thing: WHEN YOU ARE VERY LOW CARB OR KETOTIC, YOU MUST SUPPLEMENT SODIUM EVERY SINGLE DAY, WHETHER YOU FEEL LIKE IT OR NOT.  ..."
Note that the context of that remark was re: exercise, so the general applicability is unclear.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2014, 03:11:13 PM by Boundless »

VibeRadiant

« Reply #44 on: January 05, 2014, 03:48:24 PM »
Boundless,

I noticed that when I started adding sea salt to my water everyday, my leg cramps went away. If I forget to take some before bed, I get leg cramps again.
So very important stuff indeed.

Barbara from New Jersey

• View Profile
« Reply #45 on: January 06, 2014, 06:15:00 AM »
Good morning Vibe,

You might want to check out Maria Emmerich's blog and her books.  Dr. Davis and Dr. Permutter have written forwards, so you know she is right on the money in her explanations.  She wrote a book about having a healthy metabolism and the keto diet besides having terrific recipes.  Her explanations are excellent and you might just begin to understand what is happening inside your body and why it is happening.  She even explained how just one "cheat" can have a domino effect lasting 6 months!  Discusses fats and proteins and the need for them to be in balance and the effect on your organs. 

Seems worth the time to explore her work.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2014, 12:23:54 PM by Barbara from New Jersey »

VibeRadiant

« Reply #46 on: January 06, 2014, 08:13:44 AM »
Barbara,
what is the leto diet? I googled it but did not find anything relavent.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2014, 02:01:08 PM by VibeRadiant »

jgilberAZ

• View Profile
« Reply #47 on: January 06, 2014, 08:48:23 AM »
She probably meant "keto."

Otherwise known as low carb high fat (LCHF).

I have collected some links here:

http://JeffGilbertson.wordpress.com
Low Carb Since April 2009.

Bob Niland (Boundless)

• View Profile
« Reply #48 on: January 06, 2014, 11:41:39 AM »
> She probably meant "keto."

Agreed.

> Otherwise known as low carb high fat (LCHF).

Not quite. VLCHF perhaps  :) (V=Very)

I see LCHF as somewhere between 50 and 100 grams net carb daily. That's not necessarily low enough to ensure that you'll be in ketosis for more than a small part of the time.

WB is 50 (max).

Mainstream keto is typically in the 15-50 range.
0-15 is keto too, but is difficult to achieve.

Barbara from New Jersey

• View Profile
« Reply #49 on: January 06, 2014, 12:28:29 PM »
Sorry for my misspelling and any confusion it caused.  I did mean KETO, but my spell check has decided that "leto" is a better word to use and changed it????
Isn't technology great!!????   :)

Wheat Free Forum

« Reply #49 on: January 06, 2014, 12:28:29 PM »

Sponsored Links