This forum is created by people who follow the Wheat Belly Diet, as a place to communicate with each other about various topics. Please note that this site is a user created site, and not one of Dr. Davis' sites.

Author Topic: Me, myself and my wheat belly  (Read 46927 times)

HungryinTN

Re: update :Re: Me, myself and my wheat belly
« Reply #150 on: July 16, 2014, 08:54:21 AM »
  :D :D :D
I have lost 4 inches around my belly since starting the fat fast and 7 lbs total since May!

Absolutely inspiring!  Great job!  Still feeling pretty good?  How is your body responding to the fat fast?  Energy levels and digestion going okay?

VibeRadiant

Re: Me, myself and my wheat belly
« Reply #151 on: July 16, 2014, 09:48:43 AM »
Yes, as long as I keep my fat intake high, I get no cravings, no mood swings,  no headaches. I drink lots of water and some tea. It feels effortless for the most part. If I get hungry and water doesn't quiet it, I will have some fat, either as butter with pink salt or a piece of chocolate bliss. My energy is phenomenal. I wake with enthusiasm and feel good all day.
I've programmed my phone to remind me to take supplements, water and nourishment so I stay on track.
Even the smell of food doesn't bother me. It's like walking in a park and smelling flowers, it's a smell and nothing more.
Although this morning at the hospital, I  got a whiff of corn-dogs with mustard, of all things to smell in a hospital.  I just remembered one of the last times I had one and the memory of that time felt very pleasant. It felt nice to go down memory lane.  But I  didn't want to actually eat one.

BarbinNC

• View Profile
« Reply #152 on: July 16, 2014, 02:55:29 PM »
You are doing such a great job, and it's very motivating I want to feel that good again too, and will soon!   :)

Barbara from New Jersey

• View Profile
« Reply #153 on: July 16, 2014, 03:37:00 PM »
Vibe,

I never had a corn dog! No desire to have one either.   Every time I get a whiff of something I used to like to eat, sometimes I taste a teaspoon of it and it ALWAYS tastes bad to me.  I wonder how I ever ate it at all!!!!  No temptation to eat more.  Another reminder about the processed, chemically enhanced food that most people eat.  Yuk!!! 

It is just wonderful that you've finally found a combination that works well for you.  Bet you are smiling all the time now.    :)

VibeRadiant

« Reply #154 on: July 16, 2014, 03:58:22 PM »
You are doing such a great job, and it's very motivating I want to feel that good again too, and will soon!   :)

Thank you, it does feel good. Still tweaking it, but it's about progress and not perfection. Plus, it is temporary. Just until I lose the weight and then it will be eating according to The Bulletproof Executive (TBPE) intermittent fasting diet protocol.

VibeRadiant

« Reply #155 on: July 16, 2014, 04:00:26 PM »
Vibe,

It is just wonderful that you've finally found a combination that works well for you.  Bet you are smiling all the time now.    :)

I do feel good. I feel tall and light too, which is strange. But this fat fast is temporary until I lose the weight I want and then a daily meal again, as per the diet protocol on TBPE site.

VibeRadiant

Update: Re: Me, myself and my wheat belly
« Reply #156 on: July 19, 2014, 09:43:22 AM »
I am in re-feeding mode today.

I love baked sweet potatoes with butter, more than chocolate cake or ice cream (which I used to "treat" myself to very frequently - to be honest). It is a guilt free pleasure now for sure.

Breakfast was last weeks half spaghetti squash with butter, smoked salmon and a baked potatoe and onions fried in lard.

Lunch was an avocado and crab meat -with a sweet potatoe of course. Very full without feeling any stuffed discomfort. Very interesting.

I've observed that by Wednesday, I am looking forward to re-feeding day and planning what I will have. Friday is a little tough as I want to have me  sweet potatoe, I've been managing to not start re-feeding on Friday evening.  By the time I wake up on Saturday, I can hardly wait to get eating!
The thing is is that I am getting bored with eating the same fat all week. It is quite mechanical as I do not let myself have a choice as to what I will consume, that is what I pack for work and that is what I have, no ifs ands or buts -  but it is getting a little boring.
BPC or BPTea doesn't really work when I am at work as the smell of it from the stomach mixed with the keto breath from the lungs is quite unpleasant. I do find that I do not get that same effect if I consume water and eat a piece of chocolate bliss bar instead. I do enjoy eating it in the moment, but I have been looking at it and thinking "this again?".  Plus, I find that the smell of chocolate which doesn't have the commercial smells added to it sometimes off putting. Has anyone experienced this?

Any suggestions as to how to keep consuming fat for 6 days without boredom.  The criteria is that it cannot have carbs or protein in excess of 1-2 g per serving.

Otherwise, I am pleased with the whole experience so far.

BarbinNC

• View Profile
« Reply #157 on: July 21, 2014, 12:42:29 PM »
I love your re-feeding days . sounds like wonderful food, and you sound very positive and healthy and happy!  What could be better than that?  Nothing in my book!!  :)

VibeRadiant

« Reply #158 on: July 22, 2014, 04:21:26 AM »
Thank you Barb. I do feel pretty great.

VibeRadiant

« Reply #159 on: July 22, 2014, 04:33:10 AM »
I bought some xyla wintermints when I was at the health food store stocking up on supplements. Breath mints sweetened with xylitol.

I offered some to my boss yesterday and explained the benefits of xylitol over sugar and  artificial sweetener, and no blood sugar spiking. Her response was "wow, are they ever sweet - and there's no sugar?".  Then she asked if I was diabetic.

I responded that I am on a no sugar, no starch diet. "Ah," was her only response.  Nothing else.

This was the best response I have had when the mention of how I eat comes up.

Usually;
"I'm doing the wheat-free diet", I get a blank look - then, "What do you eat then?"
or
"I'm doing paleo diet/ caveman diet / Atkins diet / low carb high fat diet / etc", eyes get wide - then "You'll kill yourself eating all that protein / fat / the body runs on carbs, etc".

Most people understand the need to watch sugar consumption, and most know that starch (basically they think it is mostly rice and potatoes) is taboo as well, but aren't really sure why - so they don't ask.

It's the same diet, just under a different name.

Just saved myself many (future) judgemental accusations of trying to kill myself - lol.

Lynda (Fl)

• Wheat-free for 4 years
    • View Profile
« Reply #160 on: July 22, 2014, 08:21:12 AM »
Clever, Vibe.

BarbinNC

• View Profile
« Reply #161 on: July 22, 2014, 04:56:42 PM »
Vibe, loose clothes is what I'm looking for, the number on the scale is not really important, as long as I look smaller.  You go Girl!!!

VibeRadiant

Update :Re: Me, myself and my wheat belly
« Reply #162 on: July 25, 2014, 06:55:19 AM »
Ok, I really don't get it...  :'(

After 3 weeks of fat fasting and re-feeding one day a week,  loosing 7 lbs and 4 inches around my waist - I have regained 3 inches around my middle...
Last sunday I resumed the fast, with a little difficulty. Monday I had my usual BPTEA in the morning and had the usual piece of chocolate bliss, but by the time I got home I was famished and feeling panicked.  So I had eggs with brussell sprouts in butter. I felt better.
The next night I had a supper similar to monday's. And I've had supper all week.
So if it isn't about calories but it is about eating high fat, moderate protein and low carbs - why the weight gain?

I can't consume BPTEA indefinetly.

BarbinNC

• View Profile
« Reply #163 on: July 25, 2014, 07:03:59 AM »
Vibe - did you measure?  Did inches come back too??

VibeRadiant

« Reply #164 on: July 25, 2014, 08:17:34 AM »
Vibe - did you measure?  Did inches come back too??

Yes,  three inches.

scrupulousgirl

• View Profile
« Reply #165 on: July 25, 2014, 08:48:41 AM »
Vibe, That is such wonderful news and I'm excited for you! Keep going and have a great weekend!

Bailey

VibeRadiant

« Reply #166 on: July 25, 2014, 08:51:44 AM »
Vibe, That is such wonderful news and I'm excited for you! Keep going and have a great weekend!

Bailey

No. I put on 3 inches since adding one meal a day.

Lynda (Fl)

• Wheat-free for 4 years
    • View Profile
« Reply #167 on: July 25, 2014, 09:05:34 AM »
Vibe, if it came back in a mere few days, it may be just water your body is putting back into storage.  Mine will do that in a day even. My abdomen will get spongy and up to three inches larger. I can sweat off two pounds over night and put it back by lunch.  I weigh twice daily to get a good picture of what my fluid is doing.  I have less fluid with vlc eating and more with higher carb.  If it came back in a day or two, it's unlikely to be true flesh of any kind, just good old fluid.  Maybe your body is acutely sensitive to the composition of your diet.  Hope you find a solution because I never did.  I just learned to be happy the range was the same, which meant I hadn't really gained fat.  I hate carrying extra fluid, nothing fits and it's hard to bend.  Hang in there, I think you are doing great.

VibeRadiant

« Reply #168 on: July 25, 2014, 09:35:31 AM »
I don't think it is fat, not in 5 days. But I don't get it. How could adding a protein and a low starch low carb vegetable cause this kind of bloating...

Lynda (Fl)

• Wheat-free for 4 years
    • View Profile
« Reply #169 on: July 25, 2014, 09:56:28 AM »
Well, you changed something and your body over adjusted.  It's very common to hear about.  I can't say specifically in your case but it doesn't sound all that strange to me.  Your body has it's own idea of balance and it will fight you to maintain that balance.  No, I don't mean that the balance your body wants is what you want, it could be a real problem.  Your challenge is to figure it all out.  Just remember, your natural set points may be different than you envisioned. You may be thinking 'lean and mean' and mother nature is thinking 'soft and sweet'.  Sucks but it's true.  Don't give up, you can still make all those changes and improvements you want but they may only go so far without causing even more stress to you and your system.  Think healthy and the rest will fall into line.  And, by the way, you really are doing great. And I DO know how frustrating it all is.  Really!

VibeRadiant

« Reply #170 on: July 25, 2014, 04:14:10 PM »
yikes!!!!

I added my chocolate bliss bar recipe in myfitnesspal and each piece is 18g carbs (one recipe is 16 pieces)!! even with erythritol or xylitol as the sweetener. Even though I was eating three a day before, I was doing great, but they were half pieces (I cut the recipe into 32 pieces last time). And now that I am eating larger pieces, and added a meal with veggies (low carb still, but maybe just enough to send me up), no wonder my measurements went up again.

I am up $&@# creek as this stuff allows me to consume 29 g fat from coconut oil per piece. Stevia tastes awful, especially with coconut oil. 

Arg!!

BarbinNC

• View Profile
« Reply #171 on: July 25, 2014, 04:15:52 PM »
I was thinking the same thing, it must be fluid and you're bloated.  Is it perhaps that time of the month.  do you retain fluids easily?  I do, and can gain so much water weight over night, it's scary.  But it usually comes off again, easily.  I hope that it does!

VibeRadiant

« Reply #172 on: July 25, 2014, 04:22:29 PM »
I don't usually retain water. I will re examine what I eat as something has changed in the last week. 

HungryinTN

« Reply #173 on: July 25, 2014, 04:37:58 PM »
Wowie those bliss bars could be really packing it on!  Can you just cut back the sweetener?  Would that help? 

VibeRadiant

« Reply #174 on: July 25, 2014, 05:37:12 PM »
Wowie those bliss bars could be really packing it on!  Can you just cut back the sweetener?  Would that help?

This last batch, I used more sweetener because I used almond extract and that stuff is very bitter, so to compensate, I added more xylitol.
The whole time I was doing the fat fast, I was eating three pieces a day, but they contained less sweetener as I didn't use the extract and the pieces were half size. And I lost inches and weight.
Perhaps, the 3 inch rebound is related to the increase in size of the bars and their carb count.

Stevia tastes awful to me, otherwise I would use that.   

Barbara from New Jersey

• View Profile
« Reply #175 on: July 25, 2014, 06:22:37 PM »
Stevia was an acquired taste for me too.  Different brands taste different as well.  I do like Swerve, especially the confectioners (finer ground) in hot or cold drinks.  When you begin to use less and less of a particular sweetener, then you know your taste buds are changing again and you should start trying other sweeteners again.  This is what works for me.

VibeRadiant

« Reply #176 on: July 25, 2014, 06:42:35 PM »
I had my chocolate bliss bars down to 1/2 cup of xylitol and was going to reduce it still in the next batch. but it's that darned almond extract that made me add more sweetener, that stuff is bitter!

I think I will try mixing stevia and erythritol next time. Maybe I'll build up a tolerance fior stevia that way.

VibeRadiant

« Reply #177 on: July 27, 2014, 06:25:06 AM »
Feeling very positive these last couple of says.
I started reading the series on homeschoolingdoctor blog and that led me to other articles, videos and such and I am quite excited about taking RS as well as increasing the fat more than I had.

I listened to a talk by Richard Nikoley on resistant starch yesterday - very interesting.
Now I am listening to one by Tatertot Tim, same subject, also very interesting.

VibeRadiant

« Reply #178 on: July 30, 2014, 04:35:19 PM »
This is interesting.

I decided that I would bring the makings of a BPHot chocolate to work and have that for my midday fat consumption. Monday I was fine after consuming it.
Yesterday I got nauseous after drinking the entire drink and left work early. Today, I could only manage 1/4 of it before I got nauseous and poured it down the drain.

Each morning was started by a large fatty breakfast of bacon, eggs, avocado and extra butter. Today, I mixed it up by having coffee and 1/4 cup of whipping cream (unwhipped).
To be honest, when 11 am came around, I wasn't hungry so maybe forcing myself to consume the BPHot cocoa was a bad idea, I was just afraid of getting hungry mid-afternoon and possibly raiding the vending machine.   

I also bought Bob's potatoe starch, that stuff feels exactly like cornstarch.  I am hesitant on trying it as I know cornstarch gets thick and gloopy in water.

I have been doing inulin and find that I am gassy but (TMI warning) not smelly lol.

VibeRadiant

« Reply #179 on: August 01, 2014, 06:38:12 PM »
I started having keto coffee in the morning, decaf coffee with about 1/4 c whipping cream. Then at work I'll have 2-3 keto chai tea throughout the day, as well as a piece of chocolate bliss bar. Then it's dinner.
I feel pretty good all day, got lots of energy and no hunger.   Stable mood and no nausea or headaches.

I am tolerating this type of keto coffee/tea better than the BP variety. 

BarbinNC

• View Profile
« Reply #180 on: August 04, 2014, 08:20:55 PM »
That's what I have in the morning, Vibe Keto Coffee!  Mine is Espresso, with heavy whipping cream, shaken, not stirred.  haha!

VibeRadiant

« Reply #181 on: August 21, 2014, 03:34:53 PM »
Today, on the bus, a man offered me his seat. I think he thought I was pregnant. Don't know if I should feel pleased that he thought I was young enough to be pregnant, or feel insulted that my belly makes me look pregnant! lol.

Since I started taking resistant starch, my belly has bloated up quite severely. I take just 1 tbsp in my morning smoothie now, I had been taking 1 tbsp doses 4 times a day.

I'm very confused and quite discouraged to be honest.    :-[

Randal

• View Profile
« Reply #182 on: August 21, 2014, 07:51:39 PM »
I would not assume that is the reason he offered his seat. I do that on public transportation all the time; it's how I was raised. I would hate to think someone would be insulted when I practice the manners my parents taught me.

Things will get bad when you start reading negative thoughts into common courtesy.

VibeRadiant

« Reply #183 on: August 22, 2014, 04:25:40 AM »
Say what you will, that's how I felt. 

Barbara from New Jersey

• View Profile
« Reply #184 on: August 22, 2014, 05:45:23 AM »
Vibe,

There is a highly recommended product called Prescript Assist which carries many different forms of much needed bacteria.  Carolyn Dean, MD has recommended this.  You might want to check it out.  [size=78%]http://www.prescriptassist.com[/size] .     If you are suffering from that much gas, you either have a bacteria imbalance or poor food combining. 

VibeRadiant

« Reply #185 on: August 22, 2014, 06:59:12 AM »
I already take a prebiotic and potatoe starch as well as inulin. I eat my protreins with veggies or salads and fat. Not sure what is meant by food combining.

VibeRadiant

« Reply #186 on: August 22, 2014, 07:35:41 AM »
TMI warning!

I found a site www.iffgd.org and it seems that I  have bloating and distention. It feels like I have a beachball in my tummy and expansion of gerth.
I noticed that soon after taking the potatoe starch my bowels went from routine to constipation and backing up. Not passing much gas, just feeling like I will explode from the pressure. And I find breathing labourious, like in the last couple of months of my pregnancy with baby pushing up on the diaphram.
Since all was going well prior to adding RS, I  will stop it for now and see hiw that goes.

Jan in Key West

• View Profile
« Reply #187 on: August 22, 2014, 09:52:55 AM »
A family member who travels quite abit ordered Dr. Perlmutter's probiotic supplement and highly recommends it. Since it is not dairy based, it needs no refrigeration so is easier to pack.

deanna in AR

• WF Sept. 2011
    • View Profile
« Reply #188 on: August 22, 2014, 10:39:23 AM »
The probiotic Dr. Dean recommends needs no refrigeration either.

VibeRadiant

« Reply #189 on: August 24, 2014, 05:20:08 AM »
Finally, things are moving!

My belly bloat had gotten so bad and uncomfortable the last several days I really did think I might explode.
Good news, after taking phazyme for two days, adding extra olive oil to my chicken broth and having a smooth moves tea last night with a potassium tablet, I am glad to announce that this morning's BM was close to excellent. 

And, I am down 1 1/2 inches around the belly.

The pressure is gone and no beach ball feeling in my tummy.

Yay to small victories.

Barbara from New Jersey

• View Profile
« Reply #190 on: August 24, 2014, 07:47:48 AM »
Vibe,

Glad you are recovering.  Drinking extra water is essential when taking RS just your experience does not happen.  You now understand the significant effects of the items you ingest and how you fee when it is out of balance.  Remember: starches absorb liquids.  Even coconut flour, while not a starch, needs extra liquids when using it as an ingredient.  You need to drink more water when you eat the items made with water absorbing ingredients because they absorb the water in your gut, giving you gas and contsitipation. Listening to your body "talk" will help avoid this common problem in the future.

[size=78%] [/size]

VibeRadiant

It's been a year!
« Reply #191 on: August 28, 2014, 11:38:44 AM »
How time flies!

1 year. 365 days. 52 weeks. 8766 hours...

It's been rough. it's been a blast. It's been disappointing and it's been a discovery of self.

Many of you know of the problems I've had. The lack of weight loss. The physical pain.  The frustrations.

But I've never really considered quitting and going back to eating how I did before.

I was telling my son yesterday that since I started eating a lot of fat and stopped eating low-fat-high-carb-vegan-raw-food-wheat-healthy-whole-grains-sugar-processed-food-"carbage" diet I am no longer prone to depression and "crazy" behaviours.  I'm sure he appreciates that.

I am still tweaking how and what I eat. I don't suppose that I will stop doing research (n=1) to find what my balance is in relation to carbs/protein/fat combination.  I suspect that I might have been very close, perhaps on the precipice of developing syndrome X because of the crazy diets I've tried before, and I think I have become extremely sensitive to carbs now.   

I also realized this last year that by not losing weight (it was all about vanity for me) I have been forced to really look at what "healthy" for me is. Skinny is not necessarily healthy. Having the thin, gangly body of my seventeen year old (model) self was perhaps not the realistic goal I should have had now, at 48 years old.   I look at those pictures and I thought then I was fat.  If I could go back to my 17 year old self, I would tell me that I was good enough then, and I am good enough now.

Happy New Year everyone! May we all get what we truly need, and not what we think we need.

Every day is an opportunity for a fresh start and a new beginning.

Lynda (Fl)

• Wheat-free for 4 years
    • View Profile
« Reply #192 on: August 29, 2014, 12:49:18 PM »
You have done so well, Vibe, congratulations on one year.  I know sons take notes and yours must be very proud of your persistence in improving your health.

VibeRadiant

« Reply #193 on: August 29, 2014, 05:54:50 PM »
Thank you. He inspires me all the time.

Wheat Free Forum

« Reply #193 on: August 29, 2014, 05:54:50 PM »

Sponsored Links