This forum is created by people who follow the Wheat Belly Diet, as a place to communicate with each other about various topics. Please note that this site is a user created site, and not one of Dr. Davis' sites.

Author Topic: "Split Pea" Soup  (Read 1271 times)

Linda R

"Split Pea" Soup
« on: October 18, 2013, 01:34:05 PM »
I was born & raised on a small "truck farm" in rural Massachusetts, about 20 - 30 miles from Concord/Lexington [The Shot Heard Round the World]
I can remember my mother making a thick, comforting split pea soup and it has always been a favorite of mine.
When I found this recipe, I thought, "No way is this going to taste like the real thing!"
It does!

I have now made it several times and it's ingredients are on my shopping list for next week as well.

2 smoked turkey legs * or ham hocks [use 4 for extra flavor] 
4 or 5 cups chicken broth, preferably homemade 
4 cups water   [Use just 2 cups when increasing broth and hocks]
2 teaspoons chicken bouillon granules [2.0]
16 ounces frozen cauliflower [16.02]
16 ounces frozen green beans [16.80]
Salt and pepper, to taste
Onion, carrot and celery, optional

Dump the chicken broth, water, bouillon, cauliflower, green beans, salt and pepper and meat into Crock Pot and cook all night. Remove meat to cool. Use immersion blender to blend till smooth. Remove meat from bones and add back in to soup. Adjust seasoning if necessary. Divide into individual freezer containers.

Makes about 12 cups or eight or 9 servings, 1 cups per serving
Can be frozen

It is quite amazing. In the AM, it will look a little strange to see the green beans and cauliflower still intact. Take out the hocks or turkey legs to allow them to cool. Put your immersion blender right into the Crock Pot and let 'er rip, and in just seconds the soup turns thick and dark "pea" green. The flavor is smoky from the meat.
Remove the meat from the bones and return to the soup.
Viola!

« Last Edit: October 18, 2013, 01:40:14 PM by Linda R »

Wheat Free Forum

"Split Pea" Soup
« on: October 18, 2013, 01:34:05 PM »

Sponsored Links