This forum is created by people who follow the Wheat Belly Diet, as a place to communicate with each other about various topics. Please note that this site is a user created site, and not one of Dr. Davis' sites.

Author Topic: Dairy  (Read 2960 times)

Mistyblue

• View Profile
Dairy
« on: October 20, 2013, 07:35:33 AM »
A couple of questions:
I'm not seeing the benefits of the wheatfree
life style as are most people on this forum( still
experiencing sinus symptoms in the morning
 brain fog , low energy, went for
a walk yesterday and had so much discomfort in
my left leg,very small weight loss in 7 months, etc. so I am wondering if the following may be the issue?
1) Dairy - eat a lot of cheese, some cream milk & yogurt, chocolate
2) eat out at least once per week
3) work stress- may be time to retire!!
4) 1 wine /day
My Naturopath has suggested eliminating dairy,
1 cup caffeine daily and eliminating certain vegs/fruits for a
short period.
Any thoughts?

Rita

• Administrator
  • A student of nutrition
    • View Profile
Re: Dairy
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2013, 08:06:17 AM »
Are you drinking enough water?    I'm reading The Water Perscription right now, and it's amazing how not having enough water volume in the body causes so many issues.  ( Think about a wilting plant that doesn't get enough water ).

Are you getting your 20 minutes of sun every day?  Vitamin D is so crucial to many body functions, and vitamin D from food often doesn't cut it.

Have you had any blood work done?   I wonder if you have a low lying infection.  Also curious about your blood sugar.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2013, 11:46:03 AM by Rita »

Barbara from New Jersey

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2013, 09:12:29 AM »
Misty,

Are you eating 15 carbs per meal per 6 hour period?  50 carbs daily? 

Are you grain and sugar free?  This includes the fructose in fruit.

Do you drink enough water?

Wine, as alcohol keeps your liver in sugar burning mode for days per drinking episode and therefore it doesn't burn fat for energy so you don't lose weight.  Wine is also known to keep sinuses inflamed in some people.

Try eliminating dairy for a few days to see if your symptoms improve.  Sinus conditions may change with the change in the weather.

Perhaps there is a medication you are taking or another underlying condition that is preventing you from seeing the benefits of a grain/sugar free way of eating.

Jan in Key West

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2013, 10:06:19 AM »
Misty, sounds like your naturopath has a good idea regarding food sensitivities.....from what I understand, food allergies can also be an indication of disrupted bowel flora. So, if your thyroid has checked out ok, try an elimination diet and see if there's any improvement. Dr. Georgia Ede has a blog regarding vegetables and indicates that allergies to certain ones can manifest in some of the issues  you're experiencing.Good luck!

VibeRadiant

« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2013, 11:28:06 AM »
Since starting on this lifestyle hack in August, I have come to know where gluten/wheat hides in foods that I assumed wouldn't have wheat in them. Is it possible that you are consuming gluten without realizing it?

I drink kefir in the mornings now and although it is technically dairy, it is fermented and thus a lot of the lactose and such in regular milk isn't found in it. The same with cheese, except cheeses that are exposed to bread to mold it, like blue cheese, roquefort,  which is too bad as I love a really stinky cheese.

Some toothpastes contain gluten, even the coconut oil I had been buying had a warning that it may contain wheat. Wheat is an ingredients used in so many foods and other consumables, it's really invasive in our culture.

LibbyMe

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2013, 11:40:11 AM »
Yes, dairy can cause sinus issues.  Are you purchasing the so-called gluten-free prepared foods?  Don't do it as they're full of all sort of sweeteners.  I stalled on WB with weight loss so tried to limit my carbs per day.  I'd been having a banana with my breakfast every morning and found on this site that they're high in a glycemic levels.  I think I'm beginning to lose some again.  I don't do much dairy except for an occasional hard cheese...and when I make my protein smoothies I add about 1/3 C. of plain yogurt.  I'd tested for food allergies years ago..this is what my test came up with for sensitivities...dairy, soy (it's in everything like gluten) and yeast.  Hoping you'll just try this for a week or two to see how you feel! Then come back and let us know.

HungryinTN

« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2013, 12:40:44 PM »
Just based on the experiments I've done on myself over the past few months, I would suggest that you eliminate the wine before you eliminate any vegetables, just to see if it helps.  I've eliminated alcohol completely now, which I NEVER thought I would do, and it has made a HUGE difference in the way I feel.  I was already feeling so much better, but it wasn't consistent.  My experiments have shown me that alcohol and corn are my biggest caveats that I was still occasionally allowing myself to enjoy for a while.  Then I stopped really enjoying them because of how bad I felt when I had them.  I also find that if I eat dairy more than a couple of times a week I don't feel as good as I normally do, and I tend to feel hungrier as well.  As far as eating out, at most places there is really no telling what you could be exposing yourself to.  I'm trying to make myself eat in unless I absolutely HAVE to go out (I travel a lot for work), and when I do have to go out I often don't have a lot of choice of where to eat (such as my last trip to rural Kentucky where the only restaurants were Mexican or fast food) so sometimes things don't go that great in terms of avoiding corn, added sugar, and trace gluten.  But because my diet is good 90% of the time it is much easier to tell when something has knocked me off track and identify the culprit. 

HungryinTN

« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2013, 12:44:14 PM »
I would also add, about the alcohol, that your liver may need a break to clean itself out and get your body on the path to healing.  Even a single glass of wine can put your liver on a cleaning back-log for days.  Try giving it up for a week or so and adding in some hot water with lemon or a detox tea every night in its place.  You might see a big difference.  If you decide not to eliminate completely, you might try saving it for 1-2 nights a week.  I was reasonably successful when I did that, but I learned that I had a hard time stopping at just one drink, which is why I opted to give it up completely, at least for the time being. 

Mistyblue

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2013, 02:01:54 PM »
Thanks, everyone for the great tips! I'm thinking
that it is a combination of the wine and dairy plus
hidden exposure to wheat. I am going to follow
my Naturopath's suggestions( she asked me to
do it for 3 weeks). She also gave me info on
Adrenal Fatigue. I have been under extreme stress in the
past few years. I am usually so exhausted at the end of my
work day that I don't get an opportunity to
participate in this forum until weekends.
It is a great place for information and support!!

I will let u know how things go with my elimination
eating plan.

Rita

• Administrator
  • A student of nutrition
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2013, 02:07:10 PM »
And you may have an issue with Dairy for sure.   That's the first thing my doctor ( who happens to be an endocrinologist) said when I told her I wasn't losing weight even though I cut the grains and sugars. 

The elimination plan sounds like a smart move.

deanna in AR

• WF Sept. 2011
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 20, 2013, 04:19:01 PM »
Misty, don't know if you've seen it or not, but there's a thread here on the forum on adrenal fatigue:
http://wheatfreeforum.com/index.php/topic,435.msg4284.html#msg4284

Wheat Free Forum

« Reply #10 on: October 20, 2013, 04:19:01 PM »

Sponsored Links