This forum is created by people who follow the Wheat Belly Diet, as a place to communicate with each other about various topics. Please note that this site is a user created site, and not one of Dr. Davis' sites.

Author Topic: My triglycerides are amazing!  (Read 5697 times)

Rita

• Administrator
  • A student of nutrition
    • View Profile
My triglycerides are amazing!
« on: April 17, 2013, 12:29:06 PM »
I've had pretty sucky triglycerides.   2 years ago, my triglycerides were at 236   ( they are supposed to be under 140 ).

Last year they were 196.

And just a few days ago, I received new results from my lipid panel.

85   !!!!!

Can you believe it?

I should mention that I've also been drinking dandelion root tea for the last 3 months, so it's possible that I have some good results from that.

So now my profile is:

Triglycerides:  85   (  Is that amazingly low or what?!!!  )  Woot!
HDL:  40
LDL:  124

With those changes, I'm wondering if I could still be considered insulin resistant, since triglyceride are a measurement the doc uses to determine insulin resistance.

What's amazing to me is that I've always had a low fat diet, and now I'm doing a much higher fat diet.  I'm adding a lot of olive oil to my diet.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2013, 02:46:32 PM by Rita »

Joan from MN

• Wheat free since 1/20/13
    • View Profile
Re: My triglycerides are amazing!
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2013, 02:37:19 PM »
That's awesome, Rita!

Neicee

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2013, 02:37:43 PM »
Rita, that's great for 8 weeks!  It will get better and better.  Over 2 years for me, but had been careful for years.  Mine are between 55-60 on trigs but would love to have your cholesterol levels.

Rita

• Administrator
  • A student of nutrition
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2013, 03:48:03 PM »
Wow Neicee.   Those are some seriously low trigs.  Good for you!

Neicee

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2013, 03:56:48 PM »
No desserts per se but some fruit and a couple glasses of wine in the evenings.  Have to admit I do not indulge in many of the nut/coconut flours to make breads and such.  Just don't care for them anymore.

Question:  How did you get your cholesterol numbers down to such a lovely range?

Rita

• Administrator
  • A student of nutrition
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2013, 07:02:52 PM »
Question:  How did you get your cholesterol numbers down to such a lovely range?

Well besides doing the recommended program that Dr. Davis does, I've been drinking a lot of dandelion root tea.  (  http://www.amazon.com/Dandelion-Root-Tea-Organic-Alvita/dp/B00C2YTRIS  ).   I just leave the tea bag in my cup, and regularly keep adding hot water all day.

I actually started on dandelion root tea because I had read a lot about studies on cancers, and how it's starting to get a lot of funding to help fight cancer.  It's also a blood cleanser, and it also makes your liver produce more bile, thus cleaning out a fatty liver so that your liver can be more productive.

I will say however, that I started to get some pains below the right side of my rib cage.  I did a google search when this was happening to find out what organ was there, and I discovered it was the gall bladder.    Anyhow, what I believe happened was that I probably had gall stones, and that when my liver started increasing bile production because of the tea, it started moving those gall stones through my system.     ( So if you have a lot of gallstones, you might want to take it easy on the tea).

Anyhow, I don't have those pains anymore because I think those gallstones are now out of my system.   I drink the tea about 5 times a week.  ( Now I'm also drinking milk thistle tea for health benefits too ).

When I got my lipid profile back with those great cholesterol numbers, I looked to see if there was a study on dandelion root and cholesterol.  I found this study ( http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2820990/  ) that showed dandelion positively changed the lipid profile for rabbits:

The objective of this current study was to investigate the possible hypolipidemic and antioxidative effects of dandelion root and leaf in rabbits fed with a high-cholesterol diet. A group of twenty eight male rabbits was divided into four subgroups; a normal diet group, a high-cholesterol diet group, a high-cholesterol diet with 1% (w/w) dandelion leaf group, and a high-cholesterol diet with 1% (w/w) dandelion root group. After the treatment period, the plasma antioxidant enzymes and lipid profiles were determined. Our results show that treatment with dandelion root and leaf positively changed plasma antioxidant enzyme activities and lipid profiles in cholesterol-fed rabbits, and thus may have potential hypolipidemic and antioxidant effects. Dandelion root and leaf could protect against oxidative stress linked atherosclerosis and decrease the atherogenic index.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2013, 07:06:31 PM by Rita »

arlin

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2013, 12:17:44 PM »
Wow. Good for you Rita! And thanks for the great information. I drink green tea daily, but will look into adding dandelion tea as well. I'm amazed at your trig and chol levels. Fabulous!! So many good things in store for all of us by making these simple changes in our way of eating. I appreciate the information on the teas.  :)

Rita

• Administrator
  • A student of nutrition
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2013, 05:23:34 PM »
Thanks.   I'm pretty proud of those numbers.  :)

And on the teas ... we had a friend come and do some work in our house, and we found out that he had Hepititus C .   He recently found out himself.  Anyhow, I offered him some dandelion root or milk thistle tea, since that is good for your liver.   He said he's already taking both of those in tablet form.   

And on a side note on Hep C, he got it from a blood transfusion in the 70's.  His doc told him that there are about 4 million people walking around who don't know they have hepititis C.     He found out himself by chance. 

Suzhookem

• Wheat Free April 2012
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2013, 10:11:36 AM »
As an ardent wheat bellier for more than a year I just love to see people's great test results! Thanks so much for sharing. It gives those of us that are struggling with blood work great hope.

Suzhookem

• Wheat Free April 2012
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2013, 09:51:55 PM »
Hi Rita I got some dandelion tea today. How many times do you use one tea bag? Really hoping this will help my Met X Syndrome. Looks like a real find! And thanks for the link to the research.

Rita

• Administrator
  • A student of nutrition
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 18, 2013, 08:51:55 AM »
I keep the tea bag in there all day, and just keep adding more hot water to it as I drink it down.   At first I didn't really like the taste, but the taste grew on me and I actually start to crave it.

Suzhookem

• Wheat Free April 2012
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 18, 2013, 10:54:42 AM »
I did read last night that one should limit tea to 3 per day because it has a diuretic effect. FYI. Guess if your using the same bag that shouldn't make a difference. I know what you mean, I'm looking forward to my cup now  :)

Wheat Free Forum

« Reply #11 on: June 18, 2013, 10:54:42 AM »

Sponsored Links