This forum is created by people who follow the Wheat Belly Diet, as a place to communicate with each other about various topics. Please note that this site is a user created site, and not one of Dr. Davis' sites.

Author Topic: Fat Bombs...a nice, filling treat!  (Read 12188 times)

LibbyMe

• View Profile
Fat Bombs...a nice, filling treat!
« on: October 20, 2013, 11:43:54 AM »
I had posted this on the "General Site" but decided it should come here as well.  I made my 1st batch and found I really, really like them.  They are filling too btw.

Got this from another WB link.  It's supposed to supply one with a "treat", it's filling and may help with a stall in weight loss because of the fat content!  I haven't tried it yet...may make them today.  IF you can't use peanut butter, they say to use almond butter.  I looked for the silicone pan at Michael's yesterday but couldn't find one.  I'll use my "tart" pan with spray instead.
Ingredients
1 Cup Coconut Oil (melted)1/2 Cup Peanut Butter (melted)1 Teaspoon of Stevia (liquid or powdered)8 Tablespoon Coco Powder (unsweetened)1/2 Cup Salted Butter (melted)Instructions1. Put all the ingredients in a pot and melt on the stove  until all the ingredients are combined2. Place a Silicone Brownie Bites Pan (Michaels Arts & Crafts) on top of a cookie sheet3. Pour 11/2  tbs of mixture into each of the 24 molds4. Freeze for 30 minutes and enjoyNotes1. The Silicone Brownie Bites Pan can be purchased at Michaels Arts & Crafts2. Once frozen, store in an air-tight container or plastic Ziploc bag3. You can change the flavour by adding more cocoa powder, cinnamon, coconut butter, or peanut butter.4. To give the Fat Bombs a nice crunch, add unsweetened shredded coconut or crushed peanuts

VibeRadiant

Re: Fat Bombs...a nice, filling treat!
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2013, 12:23:51 PM »
I made a batch today, I used ice cube trays and filled up two trays.
They taste like reese's peanut butter cups.

Bet you can't just have one  :D

No_wheat_here (Ann)

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2013, 06:38:44 PM »
Ice cube trays is a great idea.  Almost bite-sized!  Have to hit the grocery store for ingredients but this sounds super great.  I get hungry for a taste of something sweet now and then.  When this happens I've been doing Greek yogurt with Truvia and three or four berries, but chocolate sounds yummy.

McIntyre

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2013, 12:09:39 AM »
Those sound delicious!  And yay, I have all the ingredients too!  But what do you mean "may help with a stall in weight loss"?  Do you mean it would stall the weight loss because of the fat content or help prevent the stalling of weight loss?  I'm new, but I thought we weren't suppose to worry about fat content, just watch out for carbs.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2013, 12:12:03 AM by McIntyre »

VibeRadiant

« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2013, 03:54:54 AM »
Those sound delicious!  And yay, I have all the ingredients too!  But what do you mean "may help with a stall in weight loss"?  Do you mean it would stall the weight loss because of the fat content or help prevent the stalling of weight loss?  I'm new, but I thought we weren't suppose to worry about fat content, just watch out for carbs.

It can happen where a person's weight loss stops. Extra fat often restarts the fat burning process. Eat fat to lose fat. I know it's counterintuitive to what we knew about weight loss, but it does work.

jgilberAZ

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2013, 08:08:37 AM »

Check out the keto calculator I put a link to it on my "blog."

Jeffgilbertson.wordpress.com

While we absolutely need to avoid carbs, we need to 'monitor' protein, too.
Low Carb Since April 2009.

McIntyre

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2013, 01:25:24 PM »

It can happen where a person's weight loss stops. Extra fat often restarts the fat burning process. Eat fat to lose fat. I know it's counterintuitive to what we knew about weight loss, but it does work.

Thank you!  That's what I hoped you meant.  I made them this morning.  I love how they formed from my tart pan.  I am using Splenda at this point, and have the packets right now.  I put in 2 and it wasn't quite enough. But they're still tolerable.  I'll have to experiment with the amount of sweeter.

BTW, my friend who has been doing this doesn't use any artificial sweeteners (and suggests I shouldn't either) and only uses honey, molasses or maple syrup.  What do you all think?  I had none of those on hand though, so I used Splenda.

Suzhookem

• Wheat Free April 2012
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2013, 01:33:09 PM »
Made mine yesterday. They were easy and delicious! Wish I'd have thought of ice trays, maybe half full. Thanks for posting.

VibeRadiant

« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2013, 03:19:35 PM »
McIntyre,
The issue with using honey, maple syrop or molasses instead of sweetener is that they raise blood sugar which then raises insulin and that isn't good. The book Wheat Belly really explains why raising insulin is bad for us.

Plus, honey, maple syrop and molasses have carbs, and WB is a low carb lifestyle, these more natural sweeteners aren't low carb, and considering that low carb is between 15-30 g carbs a day, eating fat bombs to take in more fat will count against your total carb count as well and it will add up quickly and will slow down or stop your weight loss all together.

I currently use Truvia, but when this container runs out, I will bite the bullet and buy Stevia, it is a natural sweetener that does not raise blood sugar at all (but is quite expensive). 

Hope this helps.
:)

No_wheat_here (Ann)

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2013, 03:46:11 PM »
Lovin' these!  I keep them in the fridge.  The only problem is that my little Shih Tzu thinks I should share and she can't have chocolate which she totally doesn't understand so I keep green beans on the counter.  She loves them, they are good for her, and I think she is feeling sorry for me thinking that's all I ever eat since that's all she gets.  LOL

VibeRadiant

« Reply #10 on: October 23, 2013, 04:54:58 PM »
lol, funny!

Jan in Key West

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 05, 2013, 04:03:44 AM »
I made the 'fat bombs' yesterday using 1 C. coconut oil, 1/2 cup pastured butter, 1/2 C. cashew butter, 8 TAB. organic unsweetened 87% cacao.....with no added sweetener. Filled each ice-cube tray 1/3 full.....froze and then put in plastic bag.....added one to my morning coffee and it tastes like a mocha. Whoever posted this.....thanks!

VibeRadiant

« Reply #12 on: November 05, 2013, 04:33:08 AM »
They are good aren't they?!

Jan in Key West

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 07, 2014, 05:06:32 AM »
The fat bombs have become a daily staple in our house and we have revised our recipe, yet again. We now use 1 cup pastured butter, 1 cup coconut oil, 8 tablespoons 87% organic unsweetened cacoa powder, 1/3 cup sprouted cashew or macadamia butter (no added sweetener).......heat only till mixed, then pour into ice cube trays (I use 3 trays making 42 individual cubes)......less than one net carb per cube. Sometimes, I just let one melt in my mouth while drinking my coffee.....

VibeRadiant

« Reply #14 on: February 07, 2014, 07:27:01 AM »
Jan,
you don't use any sweetener at all? 

Jan in Key West

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 07, 2014, 10:45:45 AM »
Vibe,
I find that when you increase the pastured (salted) butter to one cup, and add in the unsweetened sprouted nut butter.....it tends to taste sweet enough without adding any other sweetener. I used to add a pinch of WFF's granular monk fruit but have stopped since I upped the butter. We do one or two cubes per day, depending on our fat consumption.

Dr. Perlmutter has recently been more vocal regarding losing our need for sweetness....both artificial and otherwise.

VibeRadiant

« Reply #16 on: February 07, 2014, 02:17:24 PM »
I think that since I discovered xyla I have regained cravings for sweetness and I put it in all the desserts I  make. Whereas when I was using stevia I couldn't eat as much of it because of the aftertaste.
Now I do see that xyla is a sweetner that can cause over consumption of carbs because try as I might,  it does have carbs and eating it everyday is probably what caused my stall. And I just found a cheaper bulk source and bought 2 lbs of it.  :'(
All this to say that i am going to make these fat bombs without any added sweetner too.

Jan in Key West

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 07, 2014, 07:38:00 PM »
Vibe,
Give it a shot.....you can always use some monk fruit if you don't like it and begin decreasing it over time.....but adding more butter (which is sweet) makes it taste divine!

VibeRadiant

« Reply #18 on: February 10, 2014, 06:54:23 PM »
I made a batch and interestingly, the coconut oil rose to the top and created a thin white layer.  looks weird but tastes good.

tpbeebejr

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 28, 2014, 10:11:30 PM »
Hey LibbyMe:
I just made my first batch of your Fat Bombs today. They turned out excellent. I added a half-cup of chopped peanuts. Even my wife liked them! Thanks for the recipe.

I ended up using two ice cube trays as the forms, with 1 Tbsp in each compartment, making a total of 32 servings. I calculated the components per 1-Tbsp serving:

Each 1-Tbsp serving (w/o any chopped nuts) contains:
11.9 g fat
1.3 g protein
0.8 g fiber
0.8 g net carbs
110 calories
Thanks,
Tom (tpbeebejr)
Wheat-free since 15 Jan 2014

Wheat Free Forum

« Reply #19 on: February 28, 2014, 10:11:30 PM »