This forum is created by people who follow the Wheat Belly Diet, as a place to communicate with each other about various topics. Please note that this site is a user created site, and not one of Dr. Davis' sites.

Author Topic: Things to Consider Before Getting the Flu Vaccine  (Read 4574 times)

Linda R

Things to Consider Before Getting the Flu Vaccine
« on: October 22, 2013, 11:14:05 AM »
I think I will forego this again. Never have gotten a flu shot, haven't had the flu in ages!!!!
I'll stick with my 8000 I.U. Vit D and wash hands again and again and again.

http://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2013/10/22/flu-vaccine-effectiveness.aspx

Teresa

• View Profile
Re: Things to Consider Before Getting the Flu Vaccine
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2013, 11:49:07 AM »
I've only had a flu shot once, around in 1995 or 96, can't remember exactly.  I was sicker that year than I ever have been before or since.  I have no idea why but I rarely get anything worse than a mild head cold (which clears up within two or three days at most) even when everyone around me sounds like they're about to hack up a lung.  No idea if one has anything to do with the other, but if my immune system ain't broke, I ain't fixin' it!
~Teresa

Linda R

« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2013, 01:46:45 PM »
I've only had a flu shot once, around in 1995 or 96, can't remember exactly.  I was sicker that year than I ever have been before or since.  I have no idea why but I rarely get anything worse than a mild head cold (which clears up within two or three days at most) even when everyone around me sounds like they're about to hack up a lung.  No idea if one has anything to do with the other, but if my immune system ain't broke, I ain't fixin' it!

I couldn't have said it better!

HungryinTN

« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2013, 02:42:01 PM »
I had a couple of flu vaccines as a teenager because my mother made me and then one a few years ago because when my aunt was sick (stage IV pancreatic cancer) her doctor requested that anyone who wanted to see her get one two weeks before visiting.  I got the shot in mid-February and then my mother called me on March 5th to tell me that my aunt wasn't going to make it through the week, so in the end I didn't see her until the night she died and I can't imagine the shot made much difference then. Either way, I've never in my life had the flu despite spending my days sharing space with grubby college students.  I don't see any reason to put that in my body. 

Jan in Key West

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2013, 04:06:15 PM »
I think that eating the way we do will be enough of a prophylactic to guard against most of the nasty viruses going around.

lyra

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2013, 04:17:55 AM »
Too late for me! I already got injected with the strange brew. I have had the shot for over twenty years. Don't know what will happen to me, but I got tired of thinking about the pros and cons, and let them fill me with the weird concoction sent out by the powers that be...

HungryinTN

« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2013, 07:47:27 AM »
I don't think it's all bad, lyra.  Vaccinations have obviously done great things for the world.  Even apart from the questionable ingredients, there are shortages of the stuff every season, so I'll just save my dose for someone who needs it more than I do.   :)

Rita

• Administrator
  • A student of nutrition
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2013, 08:51:15 AM »
if my immune system ain't broke, I ain't fixin' it!

I like that Teresa.

deanna in AR

• WF Sept. 2011
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2013, 10:05:58 AM »
I got a flu shot one time a number of years ago. Later that day I had a prolonged ache in my chest...had no idea if it was related or not, but I never got another one.

Mistyblue

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2013, 06:02:02 AM »
I'm a nurse and work with the frail elderly so
yes, there is a place for vaccines. I advocate for this
with my staff regularly. So, while this eating plan
can be good for us, there is still a place for
some medical intervention, all in moderation..
we should be cautious and not think that this
is the cure to all!!

Jan in Key West

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 27, 2013, 10:47:20 AM »
Unfortunately, the elderly in our country are one of the most ill-nourished groups due to the inadequate diets in nursing home, senior communities, hospitals, rehabilitation centers, 'meals-on-wheels, etc..... and as a result, have compromised immune systems. So a flu vaccine may be helpful for that population....as long as you opt for the single dose vaccine.....while it may still contain heavy metals and other questionable ingredients, it doesn't contain the preservative with mercury contamination. But you have to specifically ask for it!

I still think this WOE is the greatest deterrent to illness as it maintains the integrity of the immune system and I'm not funding Big Pharma in the process.

Linda R

« Reply #11 on: October 27, 2013, 12:33:44 PM »
Unfortunately, the elderly in our country are one of the most ill-nourished groups due to the inadequate diets in nursing home, senior communities, hospitals, rehabilitation centers, 'meals-on-wheels, etc..... and as a result, have compromised immune systems. So a flu vaccine may be helpful for that population....as long as you opt for the single dose vaccine.....while it may still contain heavy metals and other questionable ingredients, it doesn't contain the preservative with mercury contamination. But you have to specifically ask for it!

I still think this WOE is the greatest deterrent to illness as it maintains the integrity of the immune system and I'm not funding Big Pharma in the process.

I'm with you Jan. I've read enough articles, particularly those from Dr. Mercola, regarding the flu vaccine. I just don't feel it is all it is cracked up to be. And, less face it, this has become a multi-million dollar industry for both Big Pharma and the medical establishment. 
Just like the statin scam.
There are people lining their pockets on these vaccines every fall. I refuse to contribute to another Mercedes Benz in another CEO's 4 car garage.

LibbyMe

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 28, 2013, 09:52:42 AM »
I know the pros and cons regarding shots!  I guess I'd be considered elderly since next year I'll be celebrating the 7th anniversary of my 10th birthday!  That said, I have rheumatoid arthritis, type 2 diabetes and some other inflammatory things.  These are why I'm doing W.B.---along with wanting to lose weight!  Doctors will encourage folks of my age to have the flu shot---especially due to the RA thing as my immune system is already compromised.  So, I had one this year!  I've had one every year, I think, since they came out with them.  It's a fallacy that you get sick from the shot, that is unless you have an allergy to whatever is in it.  There have been years I've gotten sick, sometime during the season but don't think it's due to the shot.  It can't cover every illness that's out there!!  Think about the pneumonia shots and the one for shingles....folks still get those things as well but it's still a preventative measure IMHO.

Jan in Key West

• View Profile
« Last Edit: November 04, 2013, 11:10:51 AM by Rita »

Janknitz

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 08, 2013, 06:38:51 PM »
I used to get sick all the time with colds which turned into asthmatic bronchitis.  The most frightening time is when I got the flu which turned into pneumonia.  I came down with the flu on Christmas Eve day, which happened to be a Wednesday.  Friday night I was VERY sick and my DH wanted to take me to the emergency room.  Knowing what ER's are like the Friday night right after Christmas, I refused because I decided I'd rather die at home.  And I MEANT it, I really thought I was going to die.  I was actually surprised when I woke up the next morning. 

Now this was a few years before my new WOL, and I rarely if ever get sick anymore.  But you better bet I still get a flu shot, too.  I never want to be that sick again. 

deanna in AR

• WF Sept. 2011
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 09, 2013, 07:16:22 AM »
Thanks Jan for the link on vitamin D. Sounds like I need to up mine A LOT.

Linda R

Wheat Free Forum

« Reply #16 on: November 22, 2013, 08:38:38 AM »

Sponsored Links