This forum is created by people who follow the Wheat Belly Diet, as a place to communicate with each other about various topics. Please note that this site is a user created site, and not one of Dr. Davis' sites.

Author Topic: Anyone NOT lost weight on this plan?  (Read 4806 times)

Joan from MN

• Wheat free since 1/20/13
    • View Profile
Anyone NOT lost weight on this plan?
« on: April 23, 2013, 10:23:07 AM »
Let me preface this by mentioning that I feel fantastic on this plan and plan to stick with it. I lost 20+ lbs two years ago by getting on board with Paleo/WB. Then I got really, really lax in my diet (hello, cake and bread!) and the weight piled back on. I've now been wheat free for over three months. I lost 6+ inches around my middle and a pants size, but < 5 lbs on the stupid scale.  :'(  For some reason, virtually the same plan isn't yielding the same results this time around. Thyroid is fine, and I'm otherwise healthy as a horse. The only variable I can think of is, I got married last summer and always eat dinner now, whereas before, I believe I was eating more protein and fat earlier in the day (my usual breakfast was a veggie omelet and bacon) and often skipped dinner because I simply wasn't hungry.

Anyone experiencing this too? Any ideas?   

Rita

• Administrator
  • A student of nutrition
    • View Profile
Re: Anyone NOT lost weight on this plan?
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2013, 11:01:09 AM »
I've actually not weighed myself... so I'm not sure.

And most of my weight is carried above my waist line, so the clothes are about the same.

I however am sure that the 'roll' is shrinking.

And I know this sounds strange, but when I shave my legs in the shower, I could swear I'm shaving thinner legs.

Janet389

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2013, 06:03:13 PM »
I am having the same problem.  I feel 100% better and just had blood work finished.  My doctor said my numbers were already good last year, but they are even better this year(been wheat free/grain and sugar free too, since Oct, 2012).  I am very excited about that.  I also had all of the thyroid test done that Dr. Davis said to have done.  All those numbers were good too.  So, I guess it's time for me to start cutting things out to see if I can get the weight loss moving again.  I am down 16 pounds since Oct., but haven't dropped anything for a long time now.  I think the first thing I will remove will be dairy and see if that makes a difference. I wonder if dropping it for a two week test period will be enough time to see results?  Because I still have about 40 pounds to lose. 

Joan from MN

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2013, 09:07:46 AM »
Rita, it does sound like you're losing inches!

Janet, thanks for posting. All my numbers are good, too, and my thyroid seems to be fine, so I'm really puzzled. I know it's not lack of activity because I'm more active than my young daughters (mid-20s), and I'm no spring chicken.  8)  I'm 40 lbs away from a "normal" weight range for my height (5'5").

Am thinking I'll remove dairy, go easy on the nuts, and limit fruit to one serving a day and see if that helps. I'm a light drinker, but I'm going to completely abstain from alcohol too. Oh, and I'm going back to bigger breakfasts, which helped a lot before. I keep thinking that something has to work eventually!

If you remove dairy, I'd give it at least a couple of weeks. Three or four weeks might be better. Good luck and let us know how you're doing.

PS: The really maddening thing is, when I mention my struggles with weight loss during my annual physical, the doc or PA usually suggests resistance training, and I've been doing that faithfully for the past nine years.  ::)     
« Last Edit: April 24, 2013, 09:17:32 AM by Joan from MN »

Rita

• Administrator
  • A student of nutrition
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2013, 09:26:06 AM »
Hi Joan,

I'm going to just copy/paste what I wrote on the chocolate thread here too:

I just read on another thread that you are doing 2 - 3 days of strength training.Just so you know, muscle weighs more than fat.  So maybe you're doing just fine and replacing all that fat with muscle... which is positive, but it will impact what you see on the scale.I used to manage a nutri-system center many years ago, and when clients came in, we would do weekly measurements as well as weigh ins.   If they did strength training, usually their measurements were reduced even though weight stayed the same.  So I think you are on a good track.

Joan from MN

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2013, 10:26:27 AM »
Thanks for the reminder about the muscle/fat ratio, Rita. And you're right. I'm three sizes smaller than I was nine years ago when I started strength training, but amazingly (and frustratingly--is that a word?  :) ), only 12 lbs lighter. Seriously thinking of putting the scale out in the garage and just taking measurements for a while.

Cici947

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2013, 10:27:13 PM »
I've read that beta blockers can prevent weight loss. So if you happen to be taking one, perhaps your Dr can prescribe an alternate medicine.

Joan from MN

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2013, 08:37:47 AM »
I've heard that too (antidepressants can also stall weight loss), but I'm not on any prescription medications.

Rita

• Administrator
  • A student of nutrition
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2013, 10:02:24 AM »
And if anyone wants to join in on the fat experiment, go here:

http://wheatfreeforum.com/index.php/topic,102.0.html   :)

HS4

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2013, 05:02:19 PM »
I've been mostly wheat-free for at least 6 months and while I feel much better, I also have not lost weight.  It's only been during the past 30 days as I did a strict Whole30 and reduced carbs substantially that I've finally started to lose weight.  Only 6 lbs so far but it's a start.  I thought I was relatively low carb but I've kept a careful food journal the last 32 days and I was surprised to see I was eating as much as 80 to 90 grams on some days,  At some point I will get all hormones checked since I think that is the real issue.  But when I keep net carbs at about 50 gms/day or less, I lose weight or I at least start to!

Joan from MN

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 03, 2013, 08:59:01 AM »
Thanks, HS4. Six pounds is nothing to sneeze at--that's great! I'm thinking that too many carbs and not enough fat are the key to my weight stall. This week I got closer to doing a Whole30, but I still need to get the cream out of my life, and then I'm good.  :) 

deanna in AR

• WF Sept. 2011
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 03, 2013, 10:18:17 AM »

Like our WB lifestyle, maybe with less carbs.

This is an article about the ketogenic diet (basically consists of almost zero carbohydrates, but lots of natural proteins and fats, very clean eating...high fat.) According to this, if you deprive cells of glucose, they switch to the alternate fuel, ketone bodies, which normal cells can use. Explains why we lose weight on low carbs. It is said it also helps prevent/cure heart disease and cancer.

I've seen this mentioned on paleo websites...maybe even on WB, but I never quite understood it. Anyway, I thought this article explained it well.

http://www.cbn.com/cbnnews/healthscience/2012/december/starving-cancer-ketogenic-diet-a-key-to-recovery/

Rita

• Administrator
  • A student of nutrition
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 03, 2013, 10:21:44 AM »
Thanks for the share on that.  Very good article Deanna.

Bea

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 04, 2013, 01:24:26 AM »
When I first started being Wheat Free I lost about 15 pounds in a couple of weeks. Then I went overseas for 10 weeks - cruise down the Danube, Turkey, cruise from Scotland up to the North pole, and then a week in Kuala Lumpur. Only a few mishaps - being served meals with wheat (especially soy sauce in KL). Chefs were fantastic. It was not difficult as the health benefits were so enormous - especially no longer having diarrhea. Plus, I did not gain weight!

Towards the end of last year I was twice fed food that was not gluten free/ wheat free even though I had ordered WF and checked before I ate. The results were dramatic - and long term. The bloating, and regaining weight.

At the end of march I had eye surgery and could not read or use the computer etc for a few days and so I thought about what I needed to do. In 1989 I parted company wit my very gangrenous gall bladder (doctors did not actually believe that's what was wrong with me until I demanded surgery!) - so I'm nervous about adding lots of fat. I've been adding some coconut oil to my egg for breakfast and other meals. Also, I was diagnosed with T2D (type 2 Diabetes) and Hashimotos Thyroiditis in 2001 - so I've been managing to keep my BG's at a reasonable level - with diet, (with special attention to Glycemic Load etc), plus exercise (walking) and meds for a long time.

My new strategy is to go back to recording (and planning) meals. Being careful to eat no more than 45g carb in a day. This means weighing out my almonds - and not just snacking on them whenever I feel the urge. Dinner has been based on 100 g of meat, fish, chicken plus about 2 cups of fresh green veg, and lunch has been similar but a salad. Sometimes I snack on 1/2 an avocado -with coconut oil and vinegar. Most days I have some fruit - fresh strawberries, or frozen berries, or a small portion of fresh fruit - amounting to no more than 5g carb.

I'll report back when I see my weight go down. BTW no one believes I'm 75 - I'm pretty active and keep busy in the community - when I'm not traveling!

Rita

• Administrator
  • A student of nutrition
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 04, 2013, 08:12:22 AM »

I'll report back when I see my weight go down. BTW no one believes I'm 75 - I'm pretty active and keep busy in the community - when I'm not traveling!

That' s great Bea!

Jan in Key West

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 04, 2013, 11:56:05 AM »
Thanks Deanna for the ketogenic post.....wish I would have known about it 11 yrs. ago when my first husband was battling cancer! It's tragic that this information isn't available within the mainstream cancer industry!

Wheat Free Forum

« Reply #15 on: May 04, 2013, 11:56:05 AM »

Sponsored Links