Main Discussion Area > Off Topic Discussions

Homemade laundry soap

(1/6) > >>

arlin:
I found this recipe for homemade laundry soap on a frugality forum many moons ago. It's so much cheaper to make the soap yourself (I believe it works out to about $.40-.50 per gallon) and it's also free of some of the nastier ingredients that are often found in commercial laundry soaps. It really easy to make. Takes about 20-30 minutes. And you get at least two gallons. You do have to shake it a bit before each use as it tends to clump a bit, but your clothes come out clean and smelling only of the fabrics they are made from. You used to be able to get all the ingredients from your local supermarket, but we mostly shop Wal-mart for paper/cleaning goods and I haven't been able to find the Fels Naptha in my store for quite awhile. I ordered enough online to last me a long time.

Ingredients/Materials

1/3 bar Fels Naptha Soap

1/2 c. Arm & Hammer Washing Soda

1/2 c. 20 Mule Team Borax

6 c. water

Bucket large enough to hold 2 gallons.

3 empty, well rinsed out, 100oz laundry soap bottles (optional-but make sure bucket has a tight fitting lid if not using)

Grate 1/3 bar of Fels Naptha soap. Heat water in saucepan on stove, but not to boiling. Add grated soap to water, stir until dissolved, do not boil. Add 2 quarts hot water to bucket. Remove soap/water mixture from heat. Add washing soda and borax, stir until completely dissolved. Add soap mixture to hot water in bucket; stir. Add enough cold water to bucket to make 2 gallons; stir. Transfer soap to laundry soap bottles before it gels. Use 1/2 to 1 cup per load.

Tips:
Make sure borax is lump free before adding to soap.
Place bottles on a towel, use a funnel and cup to transfer soap from bucket.
Pre-mark a 2-gallon line on bucket using a permanent marker.
Soap will look "funny" and might separate in bottle, shake before use.
I use 1/4 to 1 capfull per load, depending on load size/soil level.
If you have a large enough bucket, it's useful to make a double batch.

deanna in AR:
I like using white vinegar instead of fabric softener sheets. I just pour it into the fabric softener dispenser when I put my detergent in. Clothes are soft and do not smell like vinegar :))

Rita:
I was just reading the paper this morning, and they were saying that antibacterial soap has a chemical in it that may do harm:
http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/health/2013/05/03/popular-antibacterial-soap-ingredient-draws-fda-scrutiny/

Teresa:
I used to make this exact recipe years ago when my kids were small and I was doing roughly 97 loads of laundry a week (just kidding, it was really only about 40.)  I can't remember where I got it exactly, but I also used to hang out on a frugality board (I think started out as Frugal Moms and eventually became Frugal Families?) so that's probably where it came from. 

arlin:

--- Quote from: Teresa on May 14, 2013, 07:49:20 AM --- (I think started out as Frugal Moms and eventually became Frugal Families?)

--- End quote ---
40???  :o
Yep. Frugal Moms! We're old friends Teresa. LOL
It saves a ton of money and it's easier on the clothes.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version