This forum is created by people who follow the Wheat Belly Diet, as a place to communicate with each other about various topics. Please note that this site is a user created site, and not one of Dr. Davis' sites.

Author Topic: Good News and Bad News  (Read 1793 times)

lyra

• View Profile
Good News and Bad News
« on: November 03, 2013, 04:49:23 AM »
For the third time I have given up using dairy, which, for me, is plain Greek yogurt and Vermont cheddar cheese. I have done this twice before, but keep hoping that I will tolerate it. It has been six days now, and the pain in my finger joints is almost gone. So, the bad news is that I need to learn to stay off the dairy, and the good news is that I have a simple remedy to my aching fingers. If the dairy can cause that auto-immune symptom in my hands, I can only imagine what other things it might be causing to my body that I am not yet aware of. I may try introducing some goat milk yogurt after I have stayed off the dairy for 30 days, but, honestly, I don't really care for goat milk products, and it puts me on a slippery slope to start thinking I can re-introduce a bit of cheddar or yogurt. Lesson learned, I hope!

VibeRadiant

Re: Good News and Bad News
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2013, 04:55:58 AM »
Lyra,

Sometimes lessons are our best blessings. You know something about a food that will make you feel ill and you know how to stop feeling ill. The rest is semantics.

I am the same way with pretend desserts. In the past, when I had been on a diet and doing well (so I thought), I would come across a dessert that was "like the real thing" but the diet version.  I would indulge which always led me back to the real thing and then off I'd go for weeks or months or years. It's only when I got wheat free did that start to make sense to me.

Knowledge is power.

Barbara from New Jersey

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2013, 05:32:06 AM »
Lyra,

You might be able to purchase certified raw milk products in your state.  These are much better tolerated and you may not react at all to them.  If the fresh dairy products aren't available, then try to find some cheeses made from raw milk.  I just had a sample of a raw milk cheddar at Whole Foods.  It was tasty, mild, creamy and just delicious.  Inquire about these products at any good cheese shop in your area or other suitable place.  Next time i go to Whole Foods, I will try to find the name of that cheese.

The big problem with nearly all dairy products is that they are ultra-pasteurized to increase shelf life and in doing so, the important enzymes and bacteria are killed at 280-320*F. 

Mistyblue

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2013, 06:19:50 AM »
Lyra
Are you finding that even without the wheat, eating/drinking
dairy over rides the benefits that could be derived from
being WF? As I mentioned in past posts, I
am now WF for 8 months. I can't say that I
have experienced any great benefits except from sinus problems.
Gained back 7 lbs, not sleeping well, etc.
I guess I have been thinking that dairy can be responsible?
I have decreased it somewhat but am including some. As you said
Lyra, I go a few days without dairy and then drift back.
I am getting a tad discouraged!!

lyra

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2013, 09:05:00 AM »
Lyra
Are you finding that even without the wheat, eating/drinking
dairy over rides the benefits that could be derived from
being WF? As I mentioned in past posts, I
am now WF for 8 months. I can't say that I
have experienced any great benefits except from sinus problems.
Gained back 7 lbs, not sleeping well, etc.
I guess I have been thinking that dairy can be responsible?
I have decreased it somewhat but am including some. As you said
Lyra, I go a few days without dairy and then drift back.
I am getting a tad discouraged!!

Misty, I consider myself very strict with the WB suggestions and have gotten many benefits being low carb. I follow all the suggestions, have given up all grains, limit carbs to around 50 grams or less per day, and have high quality meats and good fats and a few veggies, along with supplements.  I have not had any weight changes, but I am thin anyway. My primary original issue for starting WB was to alleviate the pain in my joints, especially my fingers and knees. The WB diet helped tremendously, but some pain in my joints persists and very quickly responds to avoiding all dairy. As people age they are likely to become lactose intolerant. I believe that that is the case with me. We are all different. Also, I cannot tolerate caffeine and have found that magnesium supplements are a big plus for me. It is on ongoing experiment of one.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2013, 09:08:08 AM by lyra »

lyra

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2013, 09:10:49 AM »
Lyra,

You might be able to purchase certified raw milk products in your state.  These are much better tolerated and you may not react at all to them.  If the fresh dairy products aren't available, then try to find some cheeses made from raw milk.  I just had a sample of a raw milk cheddar at Whole Foods.  It was tasty, mild, creamy and just delicious.  Inquire about these products at any good cheese shop in your area or other suitable place.  Next time i go to Whole Foods, I will try to find the name of that cheese.

The big problem with nearly all dairy products is that they are ultra-pasteurized to increase shelf life and in doing so, the important enzymes and bacteria are killed at 280-320*F.

Thanks, Barbara! I think I will stay dairy free for the 30 days that I planned, and then look into this. Meanwhile, I will scope out my options for raw milk products. Well, if I find anything tempting, I might just go for 28 and a half days!

Barbara from New Jersey

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2013, 09:24:50 AM »
Lyra,

Good thinking!  I also found that when i drink the high altitude coffees rather than any of the commercial brands or even Starbucks, I don't get a reaction at all from the caffeine. 

The longer I follow WB, the more energetic I feel.  I do take all of the supplements Dr. D suggests and I find it does make a difference.  Even after 11 months, the probiotics seem to help keep my intestines calm and I never had a problem!

Rita

• Administrator
  • A student of nutrition
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2013, 10:28:47 AM »
It's a bummer, but a good thing to know.   People who are highly sensitive to gluten are often times highly sensitive to casein.

Wheat Free Forum

« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2013, 10:28:47 AM »

Sponsored Links