This forum is created by people who follow the Wheat Belly Diet, as a place to communicate with each other about various topics. Please note that this site is a user created site, and not one of Dr. Davis' sites.

Author Topic: Anyone here with auto-immune issues?  (Read 4917 times)

LibbyMe

• View Profile
Anyone here with auto-immune issues?
« on: November 04, 2013, 11:37:10 AM »
Maybe this has been posted before...I might have even (LOL) but sometimes my "rememberer" doesn't work so great.
I have several auto-immune issues---rheumatory autoimmune disease, fibromyalgia and others.  I've been doing WB since January of this year partly due to these as the book did state going off wheat and sugar should improve inflammations (which these are).  I'm not sure if mine are improving or not since I haven't had a "huge" RA flare in awhile.  The fibro will give me issues (pain and achy) as does the weather changes.  I live in Florida!  We traveled to the Midwest in late Spring where it was chilly and damp (rainy mostly) so really could tell that that was a factor.  I'm just wondering if anyone else has any of these...if so are you feeling better on WB??  I won't go off of it as the other benefits are so worth it.  Down the clothing sizes is what helps keep me motivated---that and sites like this one plus no more IBS!!

lyra

• View Profile
Re: Anyone here with auto-immune issues?
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2013, 03:12:07 PM »
Well, I have no diagnosis from a physician, but I believe the pain and swelling in my fingers was an auto-immune response of some type. It only began last January, and quickly became worse. I had swelling in the joints of my fingers and redness and pain. My mother was diagnosed with R.A., and my older sister as well. I started on WB a few months after, and most of the symptoms were eliminated in a few weeks. I had quit the wheat, soy, corn, rice and all other grains at that time. I still had a bit of joint pain in a couple of fingers, but I have found that quitting the use of all dairy products has cleared that up as well. And I am not going to a doctor to ask what he/she thinks of all this, either!

LibbyMe

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2013, 09:24:31 AM »
Lyra....I can appreciate you not wanting to ask a doctor about this. BUT if you have family members who have RA etc., and you're having these symptoms it may be a good thing to look into.  I was just diagnosed 2+ years ago--from all that I've learned the disease is relentless and the meds can reduce or even stop progression if caught early enough.  I know of folks (much younger than me) who have horrible effects from this disease.  I'd say you should at least look into it. The WB diet will enable us to have less inflammation but in auto-immune diseases---apart from a miraculous healing I don't know that there is any kind of "cure".  Oh...I do want to add that "IF" the RA disease becomes aggressive, it can be life-threatening.  NOT something I'm saying lightly.  Even though no symptoms seem to be going on, this disease still can silently be affecting your body.  One day you could wake up with your hands or feet crippled or any form of other presentation of the disease. 
« Last Edit: November 09, 2013, 11:02:50 AM by LibbyMe »

lyra

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2013, 04:32:04 AM »
Thanks, Libbyme. Have you tried eliminating all dairy from your diet? I have had so much relief from cutting out dairy. Dairy products can cause "leaky gut" synmdrome, wherein certain proteins are not digested from the food in question (dairy gut-irritating proteins), and enter the bloodstream. The body can mount an attack on the invaders, and, unfortunately, also attack similar good proteins in the body, leading to auto-immune responses. Have you read Robb Wolf's great book, "The Paleo Solution"? I read that section on leaky gut syndrome over and over again, and sincerely believe that my body responds to dairy products in this way, causing an auto-immune response. As Robb says..."Cut the cheese!"
« Last Edit: November 10, 2013, 05:34:25 AM by lyra »

VibeRadiant

« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2013, 05:31:35 AM »
I have experienced a flare up in my left hip joint two weeks after starting up WB, and it hasn't left. I hadn't had a flare up in over a year, so surprised I was. Recently, my chiropractor had me go for x-rays and she says I have the beginning  of arthritis, but in the right hip! I asked her if it was RA and she said no.
Now I need to get an MRI to see what could be the problem.
I don't trust conventional doctors anymore, but I do trust my chiro, I wish she was also an MD.

I guess all of this to say that I haven't had the wonderful, bounding from the roof tops energy and incredible results like most, but I have had enough good side effects from this WOE that I plan on sticking with it.

Perhaps finding a young doctor might help, they tend to be more open minded and less stuck in old fashioned dogma.

lyra

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2013, 05:42:22 AM »
Quoting Robb Wolf here...

"It is critical that you consider grains, legumes, and dairy all in the same category. This is particularly true if you have weight loss goals, inflammation, or autoimmunity. yes, honey, cut the cheese."

VibeRadiant

« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2013, 06:01:26 AM »
I don't know if I could give up dairy.

I know this sounds silly, especially on this forum, (and here's the BUT) but, dairy has allowed me to stay on the WOE thus far as I don't eat a lot of meat and how else would I get my protein if not by consuming dairy in the amount that I do?

I find eating the amounts I do for fuel and energy is often gag inducing. And the thought of eating meat produces even more gag responses in me. I have just re-introduced bacon in my daily meals (and I think about the poor little piggy and hope that it had a good life before it ended up on my plate, but I know it probably didn't and I feel badly for it and guilty!) I know, silly me right?

So, the thought of eating steak or porc chops or tongue or liver or brains (!!!!) grosses me out. Even bone broth grosses me out, but at least I am consuming gelatine. 

Perhaps this is me trying to wrap my brain around changing my WOE (I suppose like all those people who balk at giving up wheat do) and not being able to imagine not eating dairy, it seems like my saving grace at this point.

Any advise from former vegetarians/vegans who switched to a meat based diet?

VibeRadiant

« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2013, 06:07:23 AM »
I think I just answered myself (lol). When I started this WOE, I naturally increased my dairy to make up for taking away all grain based food. So perhaps the small amounts of dairy I had been consuming prior wasn't enough to cause me issues, but then increasing it to daily consumption was the straw that broke the camels back?

Barbara from New Jersey

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2013, 06:12:48 AM »
Vibe,

Many people have good results with raw milk products.  You might try this for a week to see if there is any difference.  Raw milk cheeses are readily available at most cheese shops or supermarkets with large cheese departments,  Remember, pasteurization is a cleanliness issue and a shelf life issue.

Yes, too much of a diet that is not varied can cause issues.  Perhaps you can increase your use of eggs and fish for protein since you don't want to eat meat.  There are some protein powders available for smoothies, but you have to check the ingredients. 

HungryinTN

« Reply #9 on: November 10, 2013, 10:27:19 AM »
I don't know if I could give up dairy.

[size=78%]Any advise from former vegetarians/vegans who switched to a meat based diet?[/size]

I was a vegetarian from the time I was conceived until just a few weeks ago.  Talk about hard to bring yourself to eat beast-flesh!  It was like an identity crisis.  Do you eat fish and eggs?  I started by adding more of both of those to my diet.  They had always been present in my diet, but in much smaller quantities.  Next I added bone broth and rendered the fat from it to cook with.  The bone broth was tough, because I cannot stand the smell of cooking beef, and I was using beef bones.  I had to dress it up into a pretty elaborate soup to make it edible, but it was delicious once I found a good recipe, and I immediately noticed both internal and external changes (better digestion AND reduced cellulite!).  After a while with the bone broth and accustoming myself both ethically and digestively to the increase in animal products in my diet, I added pork.  I have a friend who is always inviting my boyfriend and I over for cookouts, so I bought some fancy pork (organic, humanely-raised, etc.) at the local farmer's market and took it over for him to cook.  I didn't fall in love with it, but it's edible, and makes me feel like I'm maybe not single-handedly depleting the salmon population of Alaska.  I've also added uncured, unsugared bacon, cooking my eggs in bacon fat, too.  That's as far as I've gotten so far but I've found it incredibly helpful.  I feel that it is within the scope of my ethical feelings about animal consumption because I am not contributing to mass production meat industry which is what my mother was opposed to in the first place when she decided to raise her family vegetarian.  I do my best to make sure I am only giving my money to local farms where the animals are allowed to be animals and live as happily and healthily as possible until their time comes. 
As far as dairy, I haven't eliminated it but I have cut down dramatically over the course of the past six months.  At first I was pretty dependent on it for satiation, but as my appetite has changed this has become less necessary.  Now it's an occasional (maybe a couple of times a week) treat.  Last night, for instance, my boyfriend and I went out for a gluten-free pizza at a new place in town.  Neither the gluten-free crust or the cheese are part of my daily diet, but neither of them send me immediately spiraling back towards the ill health I was in before.  I think unless you are having a bad reaction to dairy then it is okay to keep it, but probably best not to become too dependent on it.  Cook your veggies in plenty of fat instead, try raw milk products, and maybe some cashew cheese. 

lyra

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 10, 2013, 10:29:37 AM »
I am only able to say what works for me. We all know that Doctor Davis does not say that dairy is such an issue, and allows cheese and some amount of yogurt. I understand what you mean, Vibrant. I increased my dairy quite a bit when I gave up grains, and I surely do miss it. However, it did make a big difference in how I felt when I quit the dairy. I eat beef and chicken on a daily basis, though. I guess we all find what works best for ourselves. I can't tolerate coffee or alcohol, either. But I have a heck of a time giving up my peanut butter! I know, I know, it's a legume...

VibeRadiant

« Reply #11 on: November 10, 2013, 11:51:43 AM »
I started by adding fish, then scallops and now bacon, but I cook the bacon to the point that it is so crispy that it doesn't look like meat. I do use bacon fat to cook my eggs in now.
Is unpasteurized/unripened cheese the same as raw cheese? I have looked for raw cheese but was told that raw cheese is illegal in Canada.
I have started adding 1 tbsp of gelatine to my daily intake as well.

Barbara from New Jersey

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 10, 2013, 04:33:38 PM »
Vibe,

Cheese made with raw milk is very common, at least here in NJ.  I sampled a brand named Red Witch I think, sold at Whole Foods.  There were several others.  The cheeses had rinds and have been aged.  They taste creamy and smooth to me.  These cheeses are found in cheese departments in upscale stores and not in the dairy isle of a supermarket.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2013, 01:09:21 AM by Barbara from New Jersey »

VibeRadiant

« Reply #13 on: November 10, 2013, 05:09:29 PM »
I'll go visit the fancy cheese store in the Byward market next time I am downtown and see if they carry raw cheeses. I do love my goat cheeses, I'd like to find a compromise.

Anyone ever try cheese made from human milk? 

LibbyMe

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 10, 2013, 08:55:09 PM »
WOW!!!  Never knew this post would bring such discussion.  I eat very little dairy.  "Some" cheese, "some" yogurt---but not enough to talk about.  Years ago, I was given a food-allergy test which came up with dairy, yeast and soy so back then really tried to steer away from these items.  At that time I have pretty bad IBS issues off and on.  When I 1st read the WB book I felt vindicated in so many ways---"IF" I'd go gluten/sugar (all grains btw) free.  Dr. Davis stated that folks with my kind of issues "might" take up to a year to experience any relief from pain (inflammations)--though he said "some" might not.  So with that, I'd say it's "if-y".  I think it's helped me somewhat though in the last week to week and a half I've had some "weather-related" pain issues.  I do eat meat pork and beef and chicken...I try to eat the kinds that are non-gmo etc etc etc, whenever I can.

Barbara from New Jersey

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 11, 2013, 01:48:10 AM »
Libby,

We are all trying hard to adapt and adjust to our "symptoms" as they come up.  The food we eat gets to be more and more important as we age and as we "clean up" our bodies.  A while ago, on another thread, Jan from Key West mentioned she never would have thought she would be thinking about the food given to the animals she ate.  How many of us are thinking about that now?!! 

At least we now know to examine our food intake when we get a flair up of anything.  I attended a family gathering and my cousin proudly made several "gluten free" dishes.  She  is an excellent cook. While nothing I ate was obviously "contaminated", my body was stiff and sore the next day. I even took Advil twice because of my headache.  My guess is I am reacting to soy or canola oils in the mayo or used to sauté the rice wonton wraps and all the ingredients they were stuffed with. Maybe something in the gf brownies she made just for me. The only soy or canola oils I ingest are either in my vitamins or in the canned tuna broth or the 2 TBS of Hellmans mayo I occasionally use.  The good thing was no acid reflux!  I was burping, but nowhere near the way it used to be.

[size=78%]  [/size]

Wheat Free Forum

« Reply #15 on: November 11, 2013, 01:48:10 AM »

Sponsored Links