This forum is created by people who follow the Wheat Belly Diet, as a place to communicate with each other about various topics. Please note that this site is a user created site, and not one of Dr. Davis' sites.

Author Topic: Guar Gum  (Read 4218 times)

Rita

• Administrator
  • A student of nutrition
    • View Profile
Guar Gum
« on: April 23, 2013, 11:18:11 AM »
Guar gum is a thickening agent.  Anyone use it?

Here's a video I found.

Rita

• Administrator
  • A student of nutrition
    • View Profile
Re: Guar Gum
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2013, 11:19:37 AM »
I hear guar gum is a thickening agent.  Anyone use it?

I personally have never used it.

Jan in Key West

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2013, 04:01:03 PM »
I see it's an ingredient in my So Delicious coconut milk.....but I don't know anything about it. Also, Maria Emmerick uses physillium husk powder in many of her recipes and I can't find where Dr. D weighed in on that either.  Anyone know?

Rita

• Administrator
  • A student of nutrition
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2013, 04:30:46 PM »
Speaking of physillium husk, I've been learning more about that.   Took metamucil today, which is 100% physillium husk.  Want to work on that colon health.

Jan in Key West

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2013, 01:59:42 PM »
So the rolls I made will clean out my colon!

Gem

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2013, 09:05:39 AM »
Page 80 in WB Cookbook:" Guar gum. An optional thickener, guar gum is useful to make wheat-free baked products when improved cohesiveness is desired; for example, use 1/2 teaspoon per cup of almond meal.  It is also useful for making ice cream or iced coconut desserts."  Straight from the WB doc!  :)

deanna in AR

• WF Sept. 2011
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2013, 09:34:45 AM »
What about xanthan gum? I bought a bottle of salsa verde by Herdez, and that's the only questionable ingredient. I think I was thinking it was guar gum. We haven't tried it yet...and I've not researched it yet either. I assume it was used to thicken the salsa a bit??

Gem

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2013, 12:01:33 PM »
Xanthan Gum (p. 80 in WBC also) is similar to guar gum,  Either one is okay to use according to the Doc.  :)

deanna in AR

• WF Sept. 2011
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2013, 03:26:58 PM »
Thank you Gem !!!

Gem

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2013, 02:41:28 PM »
FYI: Guar gum is VERY expensive compared to xanthan gum.

Gem

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 12, 2013, 08:02:46 PM »
I gotta tell y'all about using xanthan gum...a little bit goes a LONG way so go easy!  It may thicken more than your sauce too!!  Oh it works real well, but in an emergency I used TOO MUCH and now my innards are plum stuck together!! :)  No lie!

lyra

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 13, 2013, 03:32:50 AM »
I read this thread at Bob's Red Mill site. It is pretty interesting. I think I will just let my vanilla wafer be crumbly for now...

Both ingredients are frequently called for in gluten free recipes and can seem exotic at first, but they both serve the same general purpose as thickeners and emulsifiers. Quite simply, both these ingredients help keep your mixes mixed. They keep oil droplets from sticking together and separating, and solid particles from settling to the bottom. You can use just one or the other; or sometimes for the best results, you can use them in combination together.
In conventional recipes containing wheat, rye, barley or triticale flour, the protein, gluten in these fours serves the same purpose that guar gum and xanthan gum do in gluten free baking. Gluten protein is what traditional recipes rely on to thicken dough and batters, and trap air bubbles to make your baked goods light and fluffy. Xanthan gum tends to help starches combine to trap air, while guar gum helps keep large particles suspended in the mix.
One of the differences between the two products is where they come from. Guar gum is made from a seed native to tropical Asia, while xanthan gum is made by a micro organism called Xanthomonas Camestris.
In the kitchen, there are also important differences in using xanthan gum vs. guar gum. In general, guar gum is good for cold foods such as ice cream or pastry fillings, while xanthan gum is better for baked goods. Xanthan gum is the right choice for yeasted breads. Foods with a high acid content (such as lemon juice) can cause guar gum to lose its thickening abilities. For recipes involving citrus you will want to use xanthan gum or increase the amount of guar gum used.
In general, it is best to add both xanthan and guar gum to the oil component in a recipe, making complete mix of oil and gum before adding to the rest of liquid ingredients. Using a blender or a food processor is a great way to get the gums to dissolve properly.
The final difference between the two gums is the variation in quantities you will need for different foods. There are no hard and fast rules as to how to combine the two gums together, youll have to experiment yourself to see what works best in your recipes.
If you decide to use just one or the other, here are some helpful measurements for popular foods:

- See more at: http://blog.bobsredmill.com/gluten-free/guar-gum-vs-xanthan-gum/#sthash.kbfpSRRe.dpuf
« Last Edit: June 13, 2013, 03:35:42 AM by lyra »

Gem

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 17, 2013, 12:23:32 PM »
Thanks, Lyra, for sharing this info and link on the two "Gummy Twins!"  Doesn't sound real good for Xan....  :-[

Wheat Free Forum

« Reply #12 on: June 17, 2013, 12:23:32 PM »

Sponsored Links