This forum is created by people who follow the Wheat Belly Diet, as a place to communicate with each other about various topics. Please note that this site is a user created site, and not one of Dr. Davis' sites.

Author Topic: Metrics and startling results  (Read 1938 times)

Randal

• View Profile
Metrics and startling results
« on: November 07, 2013, 08:35:58 AM »
I've always thought people who weigh themselves daily are nuts. That seems like too much pressure to me, and you're just setting yourself up for disappointment. Up until this week, I had only been tracking my waist size, which is something you only notice gradually.

Many times I've mentioned that I lift weights, which also makes body weight irrelevant. If I gain 5 pounds, how much of that is lean mass and how much is fat? I also know from previous weight loss efforts that when I'm losing and lifting, I typically gain one pound of lean mass per three pounds of body weight lost (for a total fat loss of four pounds).

Because of the weightlifting, I've been on a different path than almost everyone else here. On lifting days, I eat 7 times (plus, which I will explain in a moment). It's like being a Hobbit, always eating. It's like a second job.

I've been wanting to take things to the next level. In the past three months, I've gone low carb high fat. I've eliminated all soy and sugar in addition to wheat and grains.

Since I started this journey, I've only weighed myself once, and it was either in August or September. In order to take things to the next level, I was going to track blood glucose and body fat. So I got a body fat measuring device, and to punch the right numbers in, I weighed myself again yesterday.

Despite all the eating, since my last weight measurement... down FIFTEEN pounds. In less than 3 months, and this on top of the 4000+ calories I ingest daily.

The low carb, high fat thing works.

Barbara from New Jersey

• View Profile
Re: Metrics and startling results
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2013, 09:07:09 AM »
Randal,

You are in luck!  On the WBB, Dr. D took pix of a gourmet meal he ate while on his speaking tour. Organ meats and roasted bone marrow!  Caused me to locate my chopped liver recipe from Zabar's, the world famous NYC deli.

Easy to make.  Whole Foods will provide "clean" chicken and  calves liver if you can't find it elsewhere. 

RECIPE

1/2 lb chicken liver
1/2 lb calf liver
4 TBS rendered chicken fat or grassfed butter or olive oil and chicken skin
2 hard cooked eggs
2 large onions chopped
S&P to taste

Wash, dry, remove any sinew.  Broil about 5 minutes turn once,until done, but not dry. 

Saute onions in rendered chicken fat and skin until golden or in olive oil. Put livers, onions, fat from frying and eggs in a food processor to grate into a course or pate consistency.  Correct seasoning.  Chill 3-4 hours.

Usually served on lettuce with sliced onion, tomato grated black radish.

To make rendered chicken fat:  Remove fat and fatty pieces of skin from a chicken.  Wash and dry them.  Cut into small pieces.  In a heavy skillet, add about 1/4 of the chopped onions to each cup of fat.  Cook until all the fat is melted and the onions are dark brown.  You can freeze any that you don't use for the next time you make your liver.  This adds a wonderful taste and is worth the trouble.

There are many variations to this recipe so feel free to do a quick internet search.  I like this recipe because I like the combination of chicken and calf's liver.   :D
« Last Edit: November 08, 2013, 02:02:20 AM by Barbara from New Jersey »

Barbara from New Jersey

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2013, 04:57:39 PM »
Randal,

Why don't you email the liverwurst company to see if they supply another store in your area?

Barbara from New Jersey

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2013, 05:43:27 PM »
Randal,

Ask one of the staff at Whole Foods for that info.   They should be able to tell you if another one of their nearby stores still carries this, or what brand they are using as a substitute.  Sometimes they will special order for you.  I don't know if this can be frozen, but you might inquire about that.

North Star Bison and US Wellness Meats offer these products, but you have to mail-order.  A local butcher should be able to offer some suggestions, especially if they carry homemade deli.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2013, 07:57:51 AM by Barbara from New Jersey »

Wheat Free Forum

« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2013, 05:43:27 PM »

Sponsored Links